Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Welcome to the continuation of the Toyota Camry 3
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There is a $500 rebate on the Camry and a $300 incentive on 2001 Corolla CE models with the automatic transmission. We get an extra $200 if we hit our August objective. These both are set to expire on the 5th of September.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...dealers have the computer to read the OBD code which will tell you instantly what the problem is. And, in fact, it is most likely the gas cap. Fact is, even after you correct the problem [cap not screwed on far enough to hear the multiple clicks], it takes several engine on-off cycles before the light goes out...just how many I'm not sure. But it won't go out right away...

Next most likely candidate is a faulty O2 sensor; possible but unlikely in a new car.

And the rebate on the Camry in the CA market is $750 in NorCal...may be even more in SoCal [I haven't picked up an LA Times lately].
  • wmorledgewmorledge Member Posts: 3
    What kind of change will I see in price negotiations after the fifth? I'm in a bind because I'm depending on the sale of a few acres of rental property to fund my new Camry XLE purchase. Though my buyer's bank assures me that these individuals' loan is dependant only a matter of time (10-12 days), I'm wondering if I'm going to get screwed by Toyota because dealer incentives and rebates are, supposedly, null after the fifth of September.

Also, I test drove the Mitsubishi Galant LS V-6 and GTZ, and I was terribly impressed. Great styling, ride, and gorgeous interior, all for much less than an XLE. Still, when it comes to longevity and dependability, where does the Galant stand?

Thanks,

wfmjr
    We got a new incentive sheet yesterday. My previous information was in error on one count and that is, the $500 rebate so ignore the whole thing.

here are the correct and current programs:

Good 9/1 to 9/5. All 2000 Camrys have either 5.9% APR financing for up to 60 months or $500 dealer incentive money. Dealer incentive money means it it not a rebate but the dealer can sell it for $500 less than he could a couple of days ago.

Good 9/1 to 10/2. All 2000 Camrys have 3.9%/5.9%/6.9% APR for 24/36/48 months or the $500 dealer cash.

These are obviously overlapping programs but the $500 dealer cash is good until 10/2. The only problem you may encounter is finding an XLE V6 if you wait too long. There are not that many of that model left.
  • cardiactcardiact Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone give me insight as to changing the left front turn signal bulb on a '97 Toyota CamryCE? It looks as though I might remove the two screws holding the headlight [non-permissible content removed]'y and could then gain access to the turn signal [non-permissible content removed]'y. Will some unanticipated part fall into a non-recoverable location, hence rendering my car undriveable, or is it a straightforward (relatively) operation? My age is showing. A few years ago, I would have been unfastening parts without a thought to gaining info from someone who might know. It also appears that by removing those two screws, I will not affect headlight aim (I hope.) Thanks.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    I checked with Consumer Reports 2000 Used Car Buging Guide.

Mitsubishi Galant for the 6 of the last 8 years (1992-1999, except 1993 and 1998 which had insufficient reliability data) received black check marks for reliability verdict (average reliability).

During the last 8 years, Toyota Camry reliability scored much better than industrial average consistantly. Indeed, it's used as the example of the very reliable car by Consumer Report.

Toyota Camry is one of only 9 automobiles that recieved all red check marks (above average) reliability verdict for all of the last 8 years. They were (in alphabetical order) Acura Integra, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Lexus ES300, Lexus LS400, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Truck, Toyota Camry, and Toyota Corolla.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Doesn't the owner's manual walk you through simple things like bulb changes? They used to [last one for me was a 93 Camry]...certainly Honda does on the Accords that are currently in my garage. Never had a problem doing this kind of repair at home...and no, I don't think you can affect headlight aim unless you do something really ham-fisted with the actual cluster assembly.
  • 2000ce2000ce Member Posts: 2
    Exhaust System Problem with 2000CE

I bought a 2000 Camery CE(Auto) in July. I smelt some light burning when I test-drove it. The dealer told me that it is normal: Toyota applies some sort of coating on their engine and exhaust system. You will smell the burning for the first few hundred miles and it is going to burn off pretty soon.

But right now my car already has 600 miles on it and the burning is not going away and getting worse and worse. Sometime I can see light smoke coming out under the hood. Yesterday I got down under the car right after I drove back from work. And I can see some heavy smoke coming out of a filter looking thing along the exhaust pipe under the engine. The car sometime jerks slightly when it shifts and it is not doing great on gas either(17 miles per gallon in cities). I already scheduled an appointment with the local Toyota Service Store for next Wednesday. Before I hear what they have to say, I am wondering if anybody in this forum have ever heard about this problem and could give me some suggestions on how to deal with it between now and Wednesday.
  • cardiactcardiact Member Posts: 4
    You are correct and thank you. Talk about overlooking the obvious. The change avoided the headlight [non-permissible content removed]'y altogether. Now if only my auto parts store had sold me an amber bulb instead of clear. . .
    Michael
    Sounds like a problem. The exhaust is coated with cosmoline and this does burn off in the first 20 to 200 miles. In only one case did I ever actually see smoke associated with this.
  • panther_009panther_009 Member Posts: 1
    any news on the Camry 2001. does anybody know if the shape, features or other things are changed on the new 2001 models. this will help me in deciding to wait for the 2001 models or just buying the 2000 model in it ending months. all suggestions/info appreciated.
    The Camry is unchanged except for a new "Gallery Series" that will come out this fall. This is just a two tone package with special alloys and dash. The new Camry brochures are now available.
  • negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    Though I'm not sure what Edmunds means about uncomfortable seats, I've had my own bad experience with them. The problem emanates from the fact that the seat cushion on my '97 LE is not tiltable.

My '92 Camry LE had separate fore and aft knobs for the seat cushion that allowed it to tilt, but when Toyota redesigned the Camry, it replaced the two knobs with one that permits only a straight up and down height adjustment.

As a result, the seat cushion of the '97 LE is at a permanent upward angle that can't be adjusted. The problem for me was that the front, forward edge of the seat cushion, which is stiff, was mercilessly pushing into my thighs, causing a great deal of discomfort. The cure (after many false attempts) was two-fold: 1) working out at the gym and tightening my hamstrings; 2) taking the car to an aftermarket seat upholsterer and having him insert an extra foam pad underneath the seat cushion fabric, effectively raising the height of my legs relative to the forward edge.

I'm 5'6", so even if the seat is the same in the current model, you might not have this problem. But on the other hand, you might end up getting "stuck," but in a different part of the body!

The moral of the story: if you can order a seat with a tiltable cushion, do it!

That said, if my car were totaled tomorrow, I'd certainly buy another Camry 4. I just completed my second cross-country trip in it and got 31 MPG overall, despite mountain roads and 80 MPH on the interstates. On the whole, if you want a car that doesn't excite but comes with an absence of annoyances, it's a good choice. Just have your seat upholsterer in mind when you buy one.
    Brilliantly put in your last paragraph.

"On the whole, if you want a car that
    doesn't excite but comes with an absence of
    annoyances, it's a good choice."
  • jdx11379jdx11379 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know much horsepower and torque the 2.7 V-6s offered in the 91 Camry DXs and LEs made?Know that this is way off the topic but I would really to find out.
    THANX
  • sugardogsugardog Member Posts: 41
    I took my wife's 97 Camry CE 5speed to the dealer
    today, the clutch is slipping. The clutch needs repaced at only 40k miles. So much for the myth about Camry reliability. On this car the tires and brakes are still good, but the clutch is worn out. I know what you think, its the driver. My wife has driven a stick all her life, and so have I, you cannot convince me that this clutch was not faulty from day one, but it is out of warranty so I will pay about $900.00 to replace it, but there will never be another Toyota in our future. Thank GOD that I drive a SUBARU.
  • everydayeveryday Member Posts: 53
    depending on your driving style. I know most people who drive MT in traffic replace'em every 50K.
  • boodrowboodrow Member Posts: 15
    I have been driving manual transmission cars for 35 years and currently have a 98 camry ce. I have put over 200k on two of them and the only one I ever had a clutch go out on was an 84 dodge daytona. Sugardog you may want to consider an independent shop to fix your clutch. $400-600 would be a more reasonable price.

My 98 camry ce does have very uncomfortable seats and also a suspension banging in the rear under full load on rough roads. The dealer seems seems to not have a clue as to what it is but claims toyota is working on it. This has been a problem since I drove it off the lot two years ago. If anyone out there has similar trouble please post.
  • lordkamalordkama Member Posts: 23
    Hello!

I read on Deja News about a topic similar to what you describe... Camry 4 cylinders hitting the pavement when loaded with 4 adults(bottoming out). I recall the problem was due to the spring coils they use and they are too soft. The original poster asked his dealer to replace the springs with the V6 Camry springs. It appears that the V6 springs are more stiff than those in the 4 cylinder models. Personally I have a 1999 V6 LE and have not had any bottoming problems.
  • lordkamalordkama Member Posts: 23
    Hello!

Where can I get a hold of the full technical bulletins for the Toyota Camry?

Thanks!
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I agree that there is a big difference between earlier Camrys and the 97 and later. we have a 96b with two knobs on the driver side and a 97 with a semi fixed one knob and darn poor padding. We switched to camry because of the comfort. I hope they redesign that seat. we are considering a power seat to overcome the poor positioning. I'm 6'2" and about 200 lbs. The old 88 Honda hada similar problem and in he meantime we owned 4 Subarus that were ok. The 96 Camry is the best
  • secondamen2secondamen2 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know why the 97 camry has such a better safety rating than the 96? I am considering a 96 with 34K selling for 13,500 thru carmax. does that seem like a bad price? (It is in apparently fine condition, and has the gold package)
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    Cliffy, how long have the rebates been in effect? Did they go back to August 1 or did they just start in September?

Thanks.
    the current batch in the Central Atlantic region came into effect Sept. 1. Since June (or May, I'm not sure) we had only a $500 rebate to the customer instead of the current dealer cash.
  • pradeepwpradeepw Member Posts: 3
    Please give me your advice on deciding me to buy
    2000 for 1500 lesser than 2001 or go for 2001
    since it runs for another one year as latest???
    I am unable to decide it? What is economically best to buy at this point? In 2004 if I am going to sell my car what decission whould have been better?? Buy 2001 for 20,000$ or buy 2000 for 18,000$.??
  • cyw0cyw0 Member Posts: 27
    From a customer's point of view, is there any difference between dealer incentive and customer rebate? I thought it just means a customer can buy a Camry $500 cheaper, doesn't matter it's a dealer incentive or customer rebate.

If two programs are overlapped, does that mean a customer can buy a Camry $1000 cheaper ($500 from dealer incentive and $500 from customer rebate)?Thanks!
  • cyw0cyw0 Member Posts: 27
    What kind of 2000 Camry can you get for $18000? One of my friends is still shopping, and the best deal he can get now is dealer invoice minus $500. I told him that probably he should wait for 2001 Camry.
  • xcarnutxcarnut Member Posts: 81
    The reason the safety rating is diffrent between a 96 and 97 Camry is it has a new body style and newer safety features.
    As far as getting a '96 Camry for $13.5K, you can take a look at the Kelley Blue book for your area and options and you can get good idea about it. I have 96 camry with almost 50K miles with no problems.
  • jfrezjfrez Member Posts: 2
    The factory alarm of the 97 Camry LE I just bought is not working..hard to believe for a 3yr old? Had it diagnosed at a Toyota service center and was told it will cost me $450 to get it working again (reprogramming they said..right! I could get a Viper with remote starter for that price!)..for all I know it may have been disabled by original owner. Where should I look for the
    "disabling switch" ?...Thanks `
  • bunion8bunion8 Member Posts: 1
    Am thinking of a new set of michelin symmetrys for my 96 xle v-6. Saw a consumer's rating of them on some web tire dealer and they're no. 1 in just about every category, ride, wet, snow, longevity, etc. Want versatile tire for upstate ny, moderate snow. Any suggestions anyone? The car now has Michelin XW4s that don't seem to grip as well as I'd like em, but the tread is about 80 pct shot, I'd say.
  • pradeepwpradeepw Member Posts: 3
    Now the rebate is 1000$ for Camry LE So price will be 17,900 in Carsdirect.com also. Dealers will give below this. Camry 2001 is 750$ above invoice...So the differance is 1500$ compared to 2000 LE. Why your friend is not going to buy from CarsDirect I am going to buy from them after long research.
  • jeremyl1jeremyl1 Member Posts: 8
    I am preparing to buy at Camry LE V6 for my elderly father-in-law. Does anyone have any experience dealing with dealers in the Bowling Green, KY or Louisville, KY markets? Hope to hear positive comments but need to hear the negatives, too.
  • wmorledgewmorledge Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone know what colors will be offered on the 2001 Camry? I’m wondering if Toyota is going to do away with any of this year's colors, especially the two blues—sailfin and constellation. I’m considering buying one of these colors, but I don’t want to date my vehicle by doing so. Any information would sure be appreciated.

wfmjr
  • sugardogsugardog Member Posts: 41
    We got the car back and now the tranny is leaking.
    The service writer (who usually don't know their a** from a rocker arm) says this is normal, seems the seals need to 'seat themselves'.
    We took the car back today, if they try to say they did not cause this problem, I got them this time, because they now charge $70 to 'inspect' the car before work begins, after they 'inspected' it, they made no mention of a tranny leak. I agree with you, I could have got it done for less at a Tranny shop, but I wanted to assure that it was done properly, so much for that thinking. I have not had good luck with Toyota dealers maint. One replaced the timing belt, and gave the car back with a leaking radiator. The same dealer replaced the CV boots and used plastic tie straps instead of the metal bands, the boots came off about 3 months later.
    I am very frustrated, is there anywhere I can take my car to be assured that the work will be done properly???
    I think we need a consumers bill of rights to go along with the patients bill of rights.
    Am I alone here, do other people have good experiences with Toyota dealers on major repairs.
    Please, I'm not talking about routine maint, like oil changes, any idiot can do those, I even do those myself.
    Consumer Reports did a survey one time and found that more satisfaction came from the independent garages, than from Dealers. From now on I will deal with an independent garage, at least then you know who you are dealing with.
    I think the best way to protect yourself, is to
    get someone to sign a statement going in that no other problems exist on the car, and also inspect the car before you pay the bill.
    I went to my local dealer to see about getting v-6 rear springs to fix banging in the rear of my 98 Camry CE. (see posts 20 & 21) The service manager thought it was a reasonable request but needs toyota's ok on it to fix it under warranty. Since it is broke they should fix it. Will post with outcome.
    The rebate and incentive programs are regional. Every part of the country sets its own programs. The only difference to a customer between a rebate and an incentive is that you may not know about the incentive and you pay less tax on them. On a rebate, the discount shows as down payment money. In most states, you pay tax on the selling price and don't get a break for down payment money.

The sailfin blue is carried over for 2001. the current colors are white, sage, graphite gray, lunar mist, black, vintage red, cashmere beige, woodland pearl and sailfin blue. We will also have 3 different 2 tone combinations coming out in a month or so.
  • batonbaton Member Posts: 1
    Is there a national rebate or incentive program available currently for the 2000 Camry LE?
  • meldentonmeldenton Member Posts: 6
    Our 97 Camry right rear door lock isn't working right. I think the child safety deal is broke. Everything works perfect from the outside, but it won't release from the inside at all now. It was just intermittent. I took the door panel off and messed around with what I could get to (not much). I don't see how it could be fixed except for replacing it. And that looks like a real fun job. Any advice anyone?
  • hondaman18hondaman18 Member Posts: 5
    I have a question, I paid 25,800 for 2000xle v6, leather moonroof, 6disc in dash changer, sunroof visor, night vision, sealant package, 3 year free roadside, and gold package. Is this a good deal? Honesty would be apprreciated. I got the selfin blue color. Also I can't not bleieve that you can not get a remote trunk release on the top of the line Camry? Is that true? Even on a base Maxima Gxe, you get remote trunk release. Also on edmunds 2001 camry V6's, it states that it requires premium unleaded, however for 2000 edmunds does not have any fuel requirements. I would appreciate any comments
  • rdavid222rdavid222 Member Posts: 9
    I just noticed a note on my 98 Camry Sun Visor that sez that the Air Bags require maintenance at 10 years and every 2 years thereafter! What type of maintenance is required and what is the cost?

Also, I don't find any mention of this in the recommended maintenance info provided with the vehicle ..... Why Not?

• wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    The car does not require premium unleaded. Premium unlead will give you something like 5 extra horse power, but it's not required.
    Ther are no national incentives, only regional.
    I have no idea what nightvision is but I assume you bought the car somewhere in the Southeast part of the country. That isn't a bad price on an XLE V6 but only because availability is very poor in most places. I had been selling them closer to $25300 but I just can't get them any more.
  • mazda323mazda323 Member Posts: 66
    Does anyone know what the towing capacity is for a 1992-1996 Camry with the 4 cylindre engine and auto trans??
  • elvis11_1elvis11_1 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to purchase a 2001 Camry. I was going to just get the LE 4cyl. Now I want the V6. I understand this an excellent motor. I was worried about the 91 octane fuel issue with todays prices. I am also looking for feedback on the premium jbl system. We are ordering it with side air bags, spoiler, jbl, alum wheels. ABS and disks come with V6. Its mostly a commuter but I think the 4 might be a little weak. Is there any options you feel are excellent. We are looking for feedback on any of these issues. Also know any good dealers in Cincinnati?

thanks
  • jmpipanjmpipan Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 99 LE, and recently I have had major problems with my right leg when driving. The sitting position is slightly awkward, and it makes the car actually painful to drive. If I had more thigh support or an extra two inches of seat travel, this would not be a problem. I am considering buying an aftermarket seat (from Toysport), but does anyone know of a less drastic way of adding thigh support or increasing the travel of the driver's seat?
  • trishtrish Member Posts: 1
    i am about to buy a 97 camrylev6 for $13700. I feel like its a pretty good deal, but i've just read about these "mid 90's v6 problems" should i be worried? I've never owned a v6 before. This car has 31k miles. does this sound like good deal or am i getting taken to the cleaners? any input would be Soooooo helpful!
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    There is no "91 octane fuel issue". Toyota recommends 91 octane fuel if you want "maximum performance", whatever that is. The electronic ignitions on these engines allow you to use regular gas without any problems (e.g. pinging). You might be shy 5 horsepower or so, but you'll never notice.
    I will be on vacation for the next week and a half. I may be checking in from time to time but I don't know how often. I don't want any of you to think I am ignoring your questions.

See ya'll when I get back on the 26th.