Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Getting set for AC again?
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    Hmm, sorry if I gave you the impression I was offended. I'm not :-) Some people in here tend to blame the "American worker" for their problems, and maybe I got a little testy about that. Japanese owned companies have proven that it isn't the American worker. It's the company philosophy that determines the quality of the vehicle.

Various versions of new models are built for a variety of reasons, particularly in a model change year such as this one. They are run on regular roads and test tracks to test suspension, and handling. Changes are made and the cycle continues. Late in the current year they are shown to dealers. Security is very high during this time. Any of them driven on the open road are disguised, including changing nameplates to other models, painting white doors on a black car, changing wheel sizes, and anything else they can think of. For shows they are transported and convered.

These cars get a lot of abuse, changes, gutted, modified, etc. They cannot be sold to the public because of all the changes, work, scratches, dents, etc. Once new production changes are finalized and production starts, these cars are scrapped. (Believe me, you wouldn't want one.)

They are starting on Monday the 23rd because this was the time designated for the start. They know how long it will take to fill the pipline to the dealers. They know how many of each model and option to build, and how long it will take to do that. The entire process if very controlled and detailed. There is no inventory maintained at the plant. As soon as the vehicles are built they go into the pipe for distribution.

The 2002 Camry is nice looking vehicle, but the quality is still in the 2001. These are very good cars. If styling is high on your list, then wait for them and compare to the current year. There will be plenty of both to choose from.
    :-)

I did that back in 1991. My wife didn't like the larger model 1992 and we purchased the 1991 model in September. We still have that car and still get offers from people to buy it. It has never had anything other than regular maintenance and has been an outstanding car. I own 3 Toyotas, every one I have ever bought: 89 Pickup, 91 Camry, and a 99 Sienna.
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    will it take for my 2000 Camry CE to break even or turn a small profit? It has 4,600mi. and has the following equipment: A/C,4CYL.-AUTOMATIC, POWER STEERING, WINDOWS, BRAKES, MIRRORS, DOORS, AM/FM/CASS/CD, REAR WINDOW DEFROST - BASICALLY THE POWER PACKAGE. I owe $20,100.00 - so as all can see I'm lop-sided on the 5 year lease. I'll be in the lease for 1 year come this August. Please help, I would like to know how much longer it will be until I can get out of this lease to break even. No more new cars for me!! Don't get me wrong - it's a very nice car but my financial situation has changed. Please advise!!
  • zhzzhz Posts: 29
    I have several friends who bought CEs and LEs recently. $18000 including tax and everything for CEs and $19000 for LEs. All have those power things. So, I guess it would be a while for you to reach their purchase price (when it's brand new) but by then your car would be a two or more year old car. Camry is a very nice car. Why don't you want it anymore?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    autonuts: you're going to need at least three years before a creative dealer can get you out of the lease. By creative, I mean get you far enough along they can roll the balance into a new/used car loan. You'll 99% of the time never profit from a lease, and it's tough to get out early without throwing in a wad of cash. I think you're SOL, unless you can find someone to take over the lease, but you'll probably still need to offer some cash for someone to be interested.

US vs Japan Camrys: My 92 and 94 model V6 Camry were US built and they were awesome vehicles. My 97 V6 was Japan built and was the worst of the three as far as fit/finish. Nevermind the parts were cheaper on the 97, that's the same for US or Japan. Now, there was no HUGE difference, just small somewhat meaningless things. Nothing was hardly falling off any of the cars. The 92 and 94 were extremely tight vehicles with no rattles or anything way into the 100K range. We kept the 92 to close to 200K and did no repairs. I think you'd find the worst built car today compared to the best built car is not as wide of a gap as some would want you to believe. There isn't a new vehicle sold in the US I'd be scared to drive across the country in.
    Your question illustrates why I never let me customers into a 5 year lease. You'll be upsidedown until your last payment.
  • johnblakejohnblake Posts: 4
    thai357

Thanks for your reply about 2001 Camry LE price!
    You seem to suggest that 2001 Camry LE should sell
    at invoice, which sounds good to me!

Edmunds show that there is a customer cash of 700,
    and dealer incentive of 800, but there is a small
    print saying that the two can not be combined. Do this
    mean that if a dealer sell at invoice, and
    also apply the 700 cash, he makes only 100?
    Or does he actually still get the 800 dollar incentive from
    Toyota?
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    Any word on the pricing for the 2002 Camry? Since you guys are already ordering them for your inventory, am I correct to assume that you guys know the MSRP? Thanks.
    Actually, no we don't. We just got the first allocation today so I know what color and equipment we have coming, but next to each one is the price $00000. Seems a bit funny that we pay whatever the manufacturer wants without even knowing what the price is. We should know in a couple of weeks.

FYI, the first ones I have coming have a production date of 8/6 and those will be hard pressed to be at the dealership by the projected date of the 15th.
    Thanks a lot. I can't wait to see the 2002 Camry in person.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I'm hyped for AC. The Camrys we have allocated are going into production 7/23 and 7/28. See you at Bally's!

: )

Mackabee
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    well maximas are all made in Japan and theyve been scoring higher than Camcords in quality surveys (albeit by narrow margins)...

Even Benz has had problems ever since they started building their M-Class in America. My friends parents have a 00 ML430 and it has been a LOT of trouble. broke down in teh middle of an intersection, theyve had enough with unreliable cars and now theyre heading off to get a Passat! go figure! lol

if im correct, BMW has had problems too ever since they began building cars down in Alabama (or South Carolina, i forget).
    not to knock the Camry or anything, but the Camry doesnt look all that great IMO. the C pillar reminds me of a TL and the front an I30. the rear looks classy tho. if i was gonna get a Camry id definetly take the TRD version, that looks hot!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    The TRD version is the one that has be interested right now, I'll have to see the car in person to determine if I really want one or not. When I first saw the drawings in motortrend, I thought it was an I30 also. To me, the current Camry and Acura TL always looked more alike than the Accord and the TL, it's something about the rear wedge shape.
  • elgritonelgriton Posts: 67
    Preview pics. are up on the web. It looks almost exactly like the mag-x photos. Although, what's quite disappointing is the SE (sport version) only comes with the regular V6, equivalent to current Solara V6 specs.
    yeah id like to see the preview pix...are they the ones on mag-x.com with the white camry?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    More camry preview pictures are available at
    tt-cc.com

*Note, they are only preview pics, no full body pictures are yet available.

Also, sad news for 2002 Camry buyers(Canadian anyway) NO Manual for the V6 model, man I am mad!!!

Horsepower:
    155 for 4 cylinder models, torque: TBD
    200 for V6 models, 209 ft-lb torque
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    To:zhz - It's not that I dislike my Camry or I wouldn't have leased it! But, like my post said because of financial changes, it will take a lot of juggling to make payments. To: sebring95 and cliffy1 - I'll take what you both said under advisement, but I really feel now that I can break even on this car after my third year of the lease. Just look at all the older Camrys that go for $12,000 to $13,000 after 4 years and having many miles on them. My car will most likely have 15,000mi. on it 2 years from now!
  • No Problem.... :) Have a great evening!
    Chow!!! :)
    sunshine...if im correct its spelled ciao not chow...jus lettin ya know : )
    the pix give me a better idea of how the details of the car look like. from the pix ill say the headlights and taillamps look good. they look better than the mag-x pix.
  • I know it's spelled wrong, I dont know how to spell it correctly, I see how it's spelled all the time ,and then i forget it... :)
    Notice how the Mag-X picture has the steering wheel on the right side of the car? That's a Japanese Camry. The styling for the U.S camry should be similiar but probably not exactly the same.
    well i assumed that the Asian/European market Camry would be basically identical with the American version since pix of the current gen Camry in Japan show the exact same design (but with clear turn signals and mudflaps). maybe for this new one theyre gonna differentiate it from the American version?
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    This is a first for us. The 2002 Camry will not have an ashtray or cigarette lighter as standard equipment. It will be a port installed option in the southeast but I do not know if it will be available for the rest of the country. No big deal but I found it interesting. Southeast dealers are doing offsite training this week on the 2002 Camry and I will be going tomorrow so I will have a lot more info in the next couple of days.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    the current accord has the same deal with the ashtray/lighter-- it doesn't come with either but i guess i kinda like it as i don't smoke-- there's still an accessory to plug in a phone or radar detector.... i kinda wish there were 2 accessories--- but i can deal with 1
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Can someone post digital pictures of the new Camry on this forum as soon as they arrive at the dealers? A lot of us would appreciate that. Thanks
  • edwardh5edwardh5 Posts: 130
    Find out if the seats changed and if yes, in what way.
    the maxima doesnt have an ashtray/lighter either...its just a felt lined compartment and u have to buy the ashtray thing to put in place of the felt. instead of a lighter we have a powerport.