Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Yeah now im starting to see the Dodge Intrepid in the pic too. Short hood, high decklid, steeply raked rear window and the c pillars location and shape. I don't think it will polarize people, its not that radical. But it definetly looks good (IMO)
  • ajacatajacat Member Posts: 63
    Hey Sebring--your reply was so helpful. I've included notes from it in the list to the mechanic for today. I thought rotors, too. We'll get an estimate for strut tower replacement --although from what you write, it sounds like it's an annoyance rather than a danger. Am I reading that right?

And thanks for the headsup re the plugs.

We checked the CD and the cassette yesterday night and they're fine, my daughter likes the sound in the back seat so that's what's important, right? :) We really like this car but we'll wait and see what the mechanic turns up before we commit our hearts fully.

btw, do you have any info on the *rear-seat* side-impact safety? I can't find anything, and there's no owner's manual with this car, but I'm wondering if they put in special side reinforcement bars or anything. Since family/safety seemed to be so important in this redesign I thought there would be *something* addressed specifically to the kids in the back.

Hoping for a clean car doctor's appointment today (or at least that the car dealer will deduct cost of repairs),
    Carolyn
    YES, that's exactly what I thought, and I thought I was nuts but it sure brought American cars to mind (I think the pillars had a lot to do with it). In fact, with the long front and rear, it looked like the curves of the Impala logo to me.

Glad I'm not the only one.
    I looked at it again and I think it's the pillars-to-the-trunk line that reminds me of American.

Exaggerated it a bit in my memory overnight--maybe that's the idea--that the long line there will make people think it's longer and lower etc... Different in mood from what I think of as Camry.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    If you don't like this, you're just too hard to please.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3971&n=156,178&sid=178

• canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Thanks for all the image postings for the new Camry. I think it looks beautiful, and I'd even consider trading in my Corolla in for one! I think this will appeal to younger buyers (such as myself) because of its styling. I hope the interior will be as nice as the exterior.

Thanks again to all those who posted pictures.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    There's a pic of the 2002 Camry in Automobile Magazine's Septmeber issue. It's a front view. The front looks a lot like the new ES300. In my opinion the front doesn't look that great (kind of a pig nose thing going on), but I like the side view you guys posted. Guess I'll reserve my opinion until I see it in real life.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    We haven't had any problems with the struts beyond the noise. I wouldn't buy/drive a car with that condition, or at least I'd fix it immediately. It's just been one of those things I've never gotten around to fixing. I rarely drive the car anymore, as an employee has been using the car since around the time the noise started. They aren't complaining so I'm not worrying about it.

I believe the rear doors have safety beams. If you're really into the safety thing, you might want to check out a Passat. My wife bought a new car a few months back and we drove the Camry, Accord, Galant, Passat, and a few others. I would have bought the passat, but the wife wanted something else. It is a very well built car with nice safety features. I think I'm going for an Audi A6 next time around. I try not to bash the Camrys they are still good cars, but they just aren't built like they used to be. I never had anything break on prior models one of which went close to 200K miles before I replaced it. This one has had numerous little annoyances, that are simply due to cheaper materials.
  • aurora123aurora123 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 97 Camry LE 4cyl - 5sp manual with 146,000 km. Had a similar thumping sound from the trunk when going over bumps etc (sounded sort of like like coke bottles rolling around inside spare tire well). When I described to dealer......he knew what it was right away. The noise is caused by worn out bushings on rear sway bar - not the strut towers. It was less than $200CND to repair as I recall - for 2 bushings + labor. The bushing is a ribbed polymer - which wears out causing the sway bar to clunk.

Other than that - no problems. Still have 50% brake pad life left on fronts and rears @146,000km - per the dealer.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    THANKS fwatson. I do like the new Camry. I was more interested in the new ES300 but after viewing the pictures I, at least now, do not like the styling. Now I have to make a decision as to getting a 2001 ES300 or waiting for the new Camry. I do have a hard time spending $10,000 more for the Lexus but always wanted one. I know the Camry is a better deal for such a good car. Tough decisions to make. Thanks for the pictures of the new Camry. Can anyone tell when it will actually be at the dealerships?
  • sinjin_dogsinjin_dog Member Posts: 84
    The new 02 Camry does look real nice, specially with Lunar Mist color.
    I knew I should of waited for 02 model.
    THANKS fwatson. I do like the new Camry. I was more interested in the new ES300 but after viewing the pictures I, at least now, do not like the styling. Now I have to make a decision as to getting a 2001 ES300 or waiting for the new Camry. I do have a hard time spending $10,000 more for the Lexus but always wanted one. I know the Camry is a better deal for such a good car. Tough decisions to make. Thanks for the pictures of the new Camry. Can anyone tell when it will actually be at the dealerships?
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    The car looks much better than the old, but I find the stretched out look a bit weird in the picture. The car looks so big that if someone told me I was looking at a spy shot for the next S-class I'd probably believe it... Now I wonder how it compares in size with the Avalon.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I wonder also, but the Avalon is so ugly, I don't wonder that much about it.
    I think the Avalon is due for a new front end and rear tail lights for '03 that will make it less ugly.
    I wonder if the Avalon will have navigation for '02 since it will available on the cheaper Camry.
  • truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    Re: How much does the new Base camry cost? Just wondering and when are they coming out? also how much are the 2001 Toyota Camry CE's going for right now and are they on clearance? we planned to buy a Camry before, but ended up with a Civic a month ago.Well if you know please let us know how much the 01' CE editions are selling for, Thank you and ill be back.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    The national release date is August 14th. Every dealer will have at least one by the 17th. Pricing which has not been released yet will roughly the same as the 2001 but expect an increase (1-2%) around Christmas.
    Every dealer will have "at least one" by the 17th? I guess that means there will only be very few available in August.

How long do you think it will be before the dealers have mass quantities shipped truckloads at a time so there will be some selection of models and colors?

Another thing. Since full reviews are not going to be available until the October car mags come out, it looks like you will see them at a dealer before you can read and see the full details about them in the mags and online.
    It is odd the the Lexus ES300 reviews are already out for a week and that car is not supposed to be at the dealers until October, yet the info on the Camry is still sketchy and secretive.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I had to skip a bunch of posts, so I apologize if I missed anything that was directed at me over the past few days. I've been out with an ankle injury sustained while boating. Nothing serious and I'm back to work now. If I missed something directed my way, please repost it.
    It really depends on what you call "very few". Toyota will not release any information on the 2002 and you shouldn't see any national ads until September 1st. If you are with a dealer that sells a lot of Camry your dealer will have more 2002 in the beginning then a dealer that sells less. For comparison purposes, our dealership is ranked 112 in the nation in volume and our first Camry will be given away in a public contest and the next several are presold. I assume(but who knows) it will be toward the middle of September before I have 2002 Camry sitting on the lot unsold.
    So people have been able to select specific colors and options in advance or are these people saying they will take "whatever" even without knowing the price?
    How do these two rank in the nation as far as size etc.? The largest should get the most new Camrys the earliest.
    Longo is #1 in volume. No one can come close to that place when it comes to volume. Roseville is in the top 50 in the last report I looked at but do not know anything about them. Dianne, at Carson Toyota, that dealership is ranked in the top 10 and she is ranked in the top 50 salespeople in the nation. To put that in perspective, I sold more new Toyota trucks (retail not fleet) then anyone (tied with one other person)in NC,SC,GA,AL and FL in the year 2000. I am no where near the top 50. Not even close. Now you have made me depressed. I think I will go sell something.
  • ravvie4meravvie4me Member Posts: 110
    when the Toyota web site is going to update its information to include the 2002 Camry?

I apologize if this has been addressed already.

-RAVvie4me
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    If the new Camry looks anything like the picture in Automobile magazine, then the Camry is sure to be a good looking car, better than the new ES300, even though it is starting to grow on me. I really like the way the headlamps have the black out material(like on the I30t)
    Better pictures are posted in earlier posts in the formum than the Photoshopped image in Automobile magazine.
    Just scroll back a few pages.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Have any interior shots been found yet? I think it'll be much better to see roads flooded with these Camrys than the earlier ones ; P
    Well...we did it. Tell me what you think...Our mechanic said besides the 60K warranty work (timing belt group, usual stuff recommended), we *could* get new rotors if we wanted but the old ones could last us for a good while yet. I didn't like the feeling so I decided that I wanted them included in the negotiations. They checked the strut towers and that was not the problem--the suspension just makes a different sound from the Buick--(I tested it over speed bumps and we don't scrape where there are lots of scrape marks, so that's good) and the rattle in the back near the door was just from something loose and he'd fix it for us if we got the car. Otherwise, the car looked great and has what Toyota called 'premium wheels' to boot.

He was really helpful despite a busy day (think he liked the strategizing--he used to fix cars up from auctions), helped us come up with an opening offer price based on KBB and all--he actually thought the car was in 'excellent' condition (I disagree, but I'm a picky picky person but then again what do I know, and he's extremely ethical price wise and practice wise).

so...to get everything all up to date (all new fluids and plugs and such) and new rotors and everything we're paying $13,550 ($12,750 to the dealer) including the dealer's fixing an irritating little rattle near the front door window, which may or may not be the wind noise that's mentioned in a TSB. Oh, and FWIW there's a 30-day-bumper-to-bumper warranty, evidently, carried out by dealers' race car mechanic friends in the same building. So we're not really warranty-less.

So of course I'm very nervous. The KBB is trade: 10,690/11,870/15,690.

Edmunds is *higher*, actually (I thought KBB was higher than Edmunds usually): 12,772/14,320/16,135 and the silly 17,185 for 'certified'.

Why did we get such a deal? Why was the guy so nice? He even waived the silly 'doc fee'. He was such a nice guy. I can't believe our mechanic missed anything. They're excellent and look out for us. My DH is thinking it may be because the car was sitting there on the lot so they were willing to drop 1100 (actually 1150, or 1240 if you count the 'doc fee') because there was a scrape on the plastic bumper, a couple of scratches (small ones) and it's got no sunroof, despite leather and all the other stuff--but it's got side airbags, which they didn't even know before I asked...huh??)

The engine does sound beautiful-- I turn the key and the car goes on and I think it's not on because it's so quiet. Like a cat it is :).

I agree that Toyota's gone downhill (especially the Avalons--just couldn't bring myself to buy one after reading all the problems) since they started making them in Kentucky (not to slam American workers or anything, but it's just quite a coincidence), and there are lots of other dream cars I'd fantasize about, but seems that Camry is the one we're marrying :). In two years when we get the Maxima or the BMW 5 series station wagon, this one will last my husband for years just driving the occasional 10 miles to work when he doesn't ride his bike.

But *why* was it so *easy*?? Their ask, my bid, their counter-ask, that's it. We're between Private and Retail on KBB (and that's 'good condition', not 'excellent'), and WAY under Private for Edmunds. We're even between Edmunds' Private and Retail for '97.

Guess I won't be able to relax until five years from now when I'm driving my 250-hp/30 mpg station wagon and DH is still driving this!

Thanks for your help and warnings--
    ajacat/Carolyn
    Guess it's nerves.
  • mica88mica88 Member Posts: 25
    sbell4--From the testimonials, Dianne at Carson Toyota is beating Edmunds prices. But, she's in CA. Which Toyota dealer in TX is tops, and is there a Top 50 salesperson in TX? in San Antonio?
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Welcome back - we missed your input around here - I hope your injury wasn't too painful!
    Sorry to hear about the injury. We have all seen new pictures now of the new Camry and the new ES300. Most of us are not too happy with the ES300's looks but are exited about the Camry's. Of course, seeing them live is the real test.
    Is it true that they will be at the dealerships by the 17th of August? Will just one be there? Will they sell that one or keep it around so they the general public can come and see it? When can we order the new Camry's sales brochure? Have they stopped making the 2001 Camry? I hope that is not too many questions for your first day back? We will await your answers and welcome back to the forum.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    You said that the quality of the Avalon has gone down since they started making them at Georgetown. They have always made them at Georgetown. The Avalon was the replacement for the Cressida. The Georgetown plant has won 8 J.D. Power awards in the last 10 years. The same people that make the Camry and Sienna make the Avalon. For 2000 the Avalon & Camry tied as the best premium mid-sized car in initial quality (and the Sienna as the best compact van.) In 2001 the Avalon won the same award again. In 2000 the plant won the Gold award for North America (its 4th time to win the Gold!). http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/qualdex.htm

Before you buy the Maxima, go see how many awards that Nissan has won for either the Maxima or their plants.

Yes, they have stopped making the 2001 model Camry. They stopped about 3 weeks ago, but there are still plenty at the dealerships.
    Yes, all dealers will have at least one 2002 Camry by the 17th. Some dealers will get more than others. In my district, there are eight dealers getting less than 10 and two getting 22 by the end of August.

One other thing some of you may want to consider is to contact your local dealer to find out when the "in-house" training takes place. For my store, this happens on Wednesday. We will have one here for sales training purposes. Any member of the public who happens by will be able to get a peek at it. This training is happening at all dealerships in the Central Atlantic Region this week. I don't know about other regions.
    I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes deals are just that easy. Seems like a decent price, especially if you got what you wanted. It's not easy to find a V6 Camry, but they just don't build many of them. I think alot of people don't feel the V6 is worth the $$, but those of us that appreciate it have to work a bit harder to find one. All of mine were ordered because the dealers never had what I wanted. I've always been more than willing to pay for the power and super quiet engine. So far I haven't found a 4 banger I would pick over a V6. Find me a I4 that is as smooth, quiet, and powerful as a japanese V6 then we'll talk. But at that point, the V6's will probably be more refined and powerful, huh?

All of my prior Camrys have been american built and until the 97 were perfect for the most part. I have no reserve about buying a US built Camry prior to 97, but the parts are just plain cheaper on the newer ones. Doesn't matter how perfect they are assembled, cheaper parts only go so far.
    Sorry if my writing was unclear (it was late, I was a *bit* on car-buying-adrenaline...) I meant that the Toyotas seem to have gone down in general and it started about the time so many of them are coming out of KY, but it could be that it's more that general 'decontenting' or another factor. I'm not anti-American, or anti-union--just so you know. Believe me, I'm as pro-union as you're likely to find nowadays short of folks wearing red undies :).

Maybe it's just me, but the 'initial quality' award I don't put too much stock in. Folks' experiences seem to vary a lot more with the Avalon than they do with the Camry, even later-model Camrys--including people I've just asked in parking lots recently. And the Avalon suspension I don't like much anyway. We really loved the room in the Avalon, but were put off by the unevenness of quality and felt that with our luck we'd get one that had lots of problems.

We'll be real happy if our new Camry turns out to run as problem-free as our '86 has (which we got in '95). Here's hoping.
    Hey,

Thanks for the reassurance. I think we could have gotten down another couple hundred, but then would he have scratched out the 'doc fee' and would we have been able to get him to fix those couple of rattles he's fixing today? Our mechanic said we did great, so I'm feeling o.k.

Ideally we would have wanted a 2000 LE V6, 'cause you get the 15" wheels and the V6 and not so much other tricked-out stuff (we don't like leather, for example, but I didn't check to see if side airbags were in the 2000 LE--they probably are), but those are hard to find right now. We'd have to wait or hope, and of course it's more $$. So we're relatively o.k. with this one.

Now to do our 60K maintenance and sell the '86. And try to resist the urge to put 16" wheels on our new baby...:)
  • kengarookengaroo Member Posts: 25
    I am still trying to figure out where to tie down the trunk if I put a big box in the trunk and I can't close the lid. There isn't any holes where I can tie it down to. Anyone experienced this problem besides me?
    :-)

(Toyota Georgetown is not union. The UAW has never been able to get the required quorum to vote on union representation. Only one North American Toyota plant is union, and it is a joint effort with GM to produce the Tacoma, Corolla and Prizm.)

You say that the cars 'have gone down in general' yet Toyota Camry has been the best selling car in North America for 4 straight years. Toyota keeps winning the J.D. Power quality awards. How can that be?

>but the 'initial quality' award I don't put too much stock in

The plant awards aren't for initial quality, only the individual cars receive that award. Plant awards are for quality in many different areas. They are very sought after awards in the auto industry.

The 'initial quality' awards are given for new cars, and they started in 1990. Toyota/Lexus consistantly ranks high in these.

Resale value is also an indicator of a quality product, and Toyota products hold their value.

Perhaps in the future there will be a 'long term' quality award by J.D Power or other company of that sort. I'm anxious to see how Toyota ranks in those scores as well. I own 3 Toyotas (89, 91, 99); every one I have ever bought ;-) They are fantastic cars. Other than regular maintenance, I have spent nothing for all 3.

Of course, the final vote is the consumer. :-)

Last year I bought a new Sienna for my wife. The problem is, I can't get her to let go of her '91 Camry. And if she ever does, her mother has a standing offer for it. (but I want, too. Great mileage and so easy to drive.)

If you're getting the new 2002 model I think you'll be very pleased with the styling and performance. The new 4 cylinder is up to 158 horse. That's 4 more than my wife's '91 V-6. I've seen the new Camrys and the pictures don't do it justice. It is one sharp vehicle. The silver one that's in the picture that was posted here I think is the best color.
    Is Kentucky something like a right-to-work state? I'm very ignorant on how auto politics have gone in the recent past. I wonder whether the plant award has anything to do with the non-union-ness--not to get too 'political' about it...

I *am* aware, at least, that the J.D. Power inital quality award has to do with cars--how could it have to do with a plant? :)
    The closest I can find to long-term quality award is the Intellichoice cost of ownership. Is there another better yardstick?

Anyway, it's a '98 XLE V6, has side-airbags and no moonroof but it does have leather. For a used car we got most of what we wanted.

Those 16" wheels would sure be nice, though...
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    (Toyota Georgetown is not union. The UAW has never been able to get the required quorum to vote on union representation. Only one North American Toyota plant is union, and it is a joint effort with GM to produce the Tacoma, Corolla and Prizm.)

Can you, or anyone, explain possible reasons why Toyota plants are not unionized, contrary to GM/Ford/Chrysler plants? Are Toyota employees making less than UAW workers? I'm curious why Toyota stands out from this crowd.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Toyota and Nissan and Honda, all for the most part non-union, pay wages and benefits that are comparable [not always to the penny, but close enough] to the UAW. Moreover, the management philosophies have as much to do with their continued non-union status as the money - while no factory anywhere is universally populated by smiling, happy people, in general the Japanese Big-3 also pay more attention to non-monetary issues like training, ergonomics, team-building, etc.

The NUMMI plant, inherited from the bad old GM days [they used to make some of the most defect-riddled junk in the whole defect-plagued GM lineup] stayed UAW after the joint venture started, but the shop floor feels and looks like Toyota all the way. They just came to a new 4-year agreement on a contract this week, incidentally.

I think all this proves is that the SYSTEM that Toyota [and Nissan and Honda] brings to the table is what is different...not perfect, mind you, just better than anyone else in the business.
  • hambone32hambone32 Member Posts: 68
    which is now the car's name...:)

The dealer's building-sharer-mechanic (who races his own cars and wins national events of a certain kind, I don't remember which, but he's the real thing) was able to fix both rattles today--so no rattles like a 'used car'. Felt so different. It's a quiet cat. Still have to check the motor's running when I turn it on (as opposed to the Buick which takes a few days to turn over) Once we get the brakes addressed it will be perfect.

AND......we discovered, as he took our check and handed us the package of all the papers on the car, SEVERAL GREAT THINGS. First, the (sole) previous owner, a retired Navy man who has my eternal admiration, had given over *all his meticulously-kept records*, even his window sticker from when he bought it new--and second, he'd done the 60K maintenance at 55K (go figure)!!!!! Platinum plugs and everything. And needing to do the maintenance was one of the key points of how we negotiated down!! (the dealer was gracious enough to let us keep the agreed-upon price, making a repeat customer out of me in about two years) The timing belt group/package/whatever they call it wasn't done, but that seems to be a matter of disagreement. We have an owner's manual, too. And the tires he had put on have an 85000 mile warranty, including free rotation and balancing forever, and he had them put on at 45000. I'm still in shock. Never expected all this detail and accountability and quality at a used-car dealer.

Feels like Christmas in August.

I asked the dealer as we were sitting around waiting for something to process why he thought the car was still here after 3 mos. My almost-4 y.o. daughter, who we couldn't tell was even paying attention to what was being said, piped up immediately "Maybe because it knew we would want it!" The dealer said that's the best answer he's heard. (Actually, for his business, evidently 3 mos isn't that long, even for great cars. He's got almost exclusively imports and they do a good businessI don't get it, but I'm just going to relax and accept our good fortune.)

After learning all this we got into the car, turned on the engine and radio, and *of course* Beethoven's Emperor Concerto came on. This Camry is classical perfection. Not Stravinsky, not Philip Glass, but just perfect and serendipitous. And smmooooottthh. (and while this isn't Beethovenesque, a whole lot less expensive than we'd anticipated :).

Thanks for your help and advice.
    Cool, looks like a great deal. Seems like dealers quickly throw away maintenance records for some reason. I've always kept receipts and a maintenance log. The very few times I've traded a vehicle, the dealers have never wanted them. Apparently the majority doesn't care. I won't buy a used vehicle without records, and I'm hardly a stickler on maintenance. I've sold many vehicles over the years, and only twice did a buyer review my logs and ask to keep them. I still have files on cars I've sold that I could have never changed the oil in 200K miles for all the new owner knows. My most recent sale was a 95 Tacoma 4X4 which I actually maintained very well because I used it alot off-road and in very deserted areas. The guy that bought it never ask me anything about maintenance at all, and it was pretty obvious it had been off-road (scuffed brush guards, dented skid plates, etc.).

As far as the timing belt issue, I've never lost a timing belt on a V6 camry and I shoot for 100K mile changes. I'm not sure what the manual recommends anymore, but the dealers like to tell you 60K miles which is bull in my book on a non-interference engine like the Camry's. Maybe 80K miles if you're paranoid about calling a tow truck. Of course if you only drive 15K miles per year, a $200 belt every 4 years isn't bad, but when you drive alot and need one every 18 months, that's a bit much.
    The manual states 90K is the correct interval.
    It wasn't the dealer who told us 60K--it was our godlike mechanic, with whom I spoke this morning. He told me that the Mitchell (is that it? some service but not alldata) 60K recommendation was based on 'severe' driving conditions/heavy (or some word like that) maintenance, which means that most trips are 3 miles or less in stop-and-go traffic. I'll be using this car mostly in stop-and-go, take the kid to classes, run errands mode. Some highway, but not much.

For more highway-oriented driving, or 'normal' maintenance, 90K is fine, as the owner's manual and Cliffy [hey] state. Our mechanic said he almost always uses the heavier/more severe recommendations for cars in our area--basically for all that aren't used for sales travel.

We're conflicted about when to change it. But I guess this discussion will fit better over on a maintenance board, now that we actually own the car? Still smiling :)
    Actually, my shop reccomends the same thing. Over the past year, I have started to question the need for the 60K interval though. Go with your gut or most trusted source. Either way, I don't think you're hurting yourself.
    My owner's manual on my '89 V6 pickup mentioned changing the belt only if it was in severe use, like taxi or police service. I now have 162K miles and have never changed the belt. I drive it 23 miles to work every day and pull a 2300 lb boat on occasion. I also have the original clutch.

BUT, I'm not waiting for it to wear out, so I'll be putting it in the garage for the belt. The clutch is still going strong, so I'm going to wait, since I may sell it.

I've never changed it on our '91 V6 Camry either and it has 74K miles, but I wouldn't swear what the owner's manual says. I'll try to remember to look at it tonight.

:-)
    jrct9454 said it for me, and very well too :-)

It's not that the UAW hasn't tried, nor that there aren't people who want the union, there's just more that don't. Toyota does quite a bit for their employees, benefits, complaint handling (anonymous too), working conditions, safety, training, job rotation and many other areas. So far there has never been any layoff at any Toyota plant (none that I'm aware of. Toyota says that their intention is to never do it.)

My take on it is that the employees feel good about their employer. If conditions were to worsen then maybe union representation would be right, but for now, the majority says no.

Another good reason is that the big 3 have had their plants for a long time. In the early years of assembly lines and mass production the companies took advantage of people, so the unions became necessary. The Japanese learned from the past mistakes when they built their plants starting in the 80s. So far, so good :-)