Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I know everyone has heard or thought this before, but its just a shame that with the 97-01 models, Toyota offered the manual tranny and the V6, but not a sporting model. And now that the SE is back, we don't get the 5 speed and V6.
    Boo hisss.
    The pricing looks REALLY attractive though.
    Can't wait to see this car in person.
    ~alpha
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Remember that the prices do not include any options and does not even include the destination charges.
    It is early to say the prices look really attractive when you don't know what it will cost with the options you want.
    An XLE V6 will be about $26K with destination charge and will be thousands more with options.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    But I still feel the pricing will be attractive, even including about $500 or whatever the destination is. I base this on the fact that I doubt Toyota will seriously decontent standard LE and XLE equipment from what the 2001 model included in its base price, especially since all reports seem to indicate that Toyota is trying to UNDO some of the DEcontenting that took place with the 97-01 models. Also based on the assumptions that options like Moonroof, Alloys, etc aren't going to go up hundreds of dollars, (it would be ludicrous for Toyota to do this) I feel I can safely say the pricing looks VERY attractive. Be my guest to disagree, but I feel that on August 14th my suspicions will be validated, and the Camry will be competitvely priced for the most mainstream models, at the very least.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    I'm really glad to know that Toyota won't be decontenting the new Camry like they did for the current model. Ok, I'm not an expert in how Toyota builds their cars, but something doesn't add up: Toyota originally decontented their cars to keep their car prices competitive with other manufacturers. Now they've put the content back into the Camry, yet offer a very similar price. I just have to ask myself at this point, where else did they cut in the car to keep their price low? Cheaper parts, or is Toyota not making as much profit per car?
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The most compared car to the Camry, the Honda Accord, has a lot more more standard equipment for less money.
    The EXV6 comes with leather, 6 disc CD, moonroof, alloy wheels, dual power seats etc. for a MSRP for about $25K before any discounting.
    The 2002 Camry XLE V6 will start at about $26K without that.
    By the time you match features, then add features not available on the Accord, like navigation, VSC etc. it is probably going to be arond $29K or more.
    For about $30K you can get a 225 HP 2002 Acura TL with navigation after discounting.
    The Passat GLX is the ony competing car that might top the price of the 2002 Camry.
    What is sad, is that even after they deconted the Camry with the cheaper-looking interior for 1997, it still was pretty expensive and Toyota started offering rebates the last several years.
    I'm glad that the new 2002 Camry is expected to have a nicer interior this time.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I just priced out the 2002 Camry XLE we are getting wednesday. Base price $25,405
    GV package #8 $2,320
    GU package #7 $1,150
    HD heated seats $315
    GV has d/p power seats & leather, AM/FM cass/CD w/6 JBL speakers, 6 disc in dash changer, p215/60r/16 all season tires with aluminum wheels and Sunroof.
    GU has VSC with brake assist and D/P side/curtain airbags for a total of $29,190 plus destination which I assume will be $480. It is not specified in my price guide what destination charge will be. So we are looking at $29,679.00 for the baby Lexus. Some of the standard equipment on the XLE is Multi-function keyless entry, anti-theft system with engine immobilizer and alarm, Multi information display with trip computer and steering wheel mounted controls. Electrochromic mirror with compass, chrome interior door handles, Homelink, rear sunshade, cargo net, micron air filtration system. These are changes from the 2001.

: )

Mackabee
  • I have a new Camry with 9000 miles on it . It has developed a sluggish starting condition (weather is normal). It feels like only 3 of the four cylinders are firing on ignition. After that it runs normal. After several times the check engine light will come on . After taking it to the dealership , they could not find anything as the code was a miscellanous one. Does anyone know if there is a know fix for this. This is a japan built Camry.Thanks for any help
  • minilinkminilink Posts: 13
    when is it out? Nobody in Toyota dealership knows about it...or are they not telling !?!
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Year ended March 2001 their net profit was over 8 "BILLION" dollars!!!!
    minilink, the new Camry will be in dealerships on August 14th.

Mackabee
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I looked at the new Camrys pricing, then I looked up the prices for the 2001 model. The 2002 actually costs less than the 2001, but I noticed that the XLE now loses it's power front seats as standard equipment. The Camry is nice, but I just can't see paying almost 30 grand for a 2002 Camry when I can get a Passat GLX or Acura TL for about the same price. Is there any chance that memory seat will be optional. Will the SE model loaded cost as much as a XLE loaded? What are the packages for the SE? Please let me know.

Also, Mackabee, do you know if all Camrys that will be out August the 14 will be XLE models, will any be SE models, that is the only model I probably could afford.

I hope that my dealer has a 2002 Tuesday, I will be up in that area of town, I will swing by there to see, but usually in South Carolina, we don't see anything new until late August at the Toyota dealership in my area. I might just drive on up to Greenville just to see.

BTW, Mackabee, you are the greatest
  • mjoo600mjoo600 Posts: 10
    Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing 1991 Camry, and was hoping some of the Camry owners here might be able to give me some insight (I would love to be able to afford a 2002 Camry, but regrettably it is out of my league). I searched edmunds.com under Used cars as well as on yahoo, and didn't really find the info that I was looking for, namely any known issues/recalls for the 1991 model year, reliability ratings, and any other info I should be aware of as a 'caveat emptor'-practicing consumer. If anyone could point me to some links/sites, or give some info from an owner' perspective, that would really be great.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Yes the 2002 MSRP of an LE is $615 less than a 2001 but the 2001 had a no cost value pack that incuded CD player, keyless entry, power drive seat, and floor mats. To me the new looks alone sell the car and I can pick out the options I really want. I wonder if skid control and ABS will be available on the LE. Does anyone know the answer ? How about new colors ? Thanks.
    Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing 1991 Camry, and was hoping some of the Camry owners here might be able to give me some insight (I would love to be able to afford a 2002 Camry, but regrettably it is out of my league). I searched edmunds.com under Used cars as well as on yahoo, and didn't really find the info that I was looking for, namely any known issues/recalls for the 1991 model year, reliability ratings, and any other info I should be aware of as a 'caveat emptor'-practicing consumer. If anyone could point me to some links/sites, or give some info from an owner' perspective, that would really be great.

Thanks,

Mike
    For the last three posters, this will hopefully answer most of your questions. And thanks a Million maxamillion1 for the compliment!
    The first Camrys to arrive at the stores will be the XLE's. There are some stores that will get the SE, although I couldn't tell you which ones. As far as paying almost 30k for a loaded XLE, once you see this car you might have to think twice about the Passat and the TL. The memory seats are not an option on the Camry. They loaded this car with so many features and options that it will cannabalize many sales from our own Avalon. The LE now comes standard with the cd/6speakers. An option package GI upgrades to keyless entry, D/power seat and the JBL speakers.
    Let me post this and I'll come back with the colors, before the software cuts me off.

Mackabee
    Super white 0040
    Gray met. 01E3
    Lunar mist 01C8
    Black 0202
    Black walnut
    pearl 03P5
    Dark red
    mica 03Q3
    Desert sand
    mica 04Q2
    Dark green
    mica 06S7
    Stratosphere
    mica 08Q0
    Blue metallic
    08Q2

Mackabee

Enjoy!
    Hi all,

Thanks,

Mike
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    Mike: Check out carpoint.com, there is a section on used cars complete with known reliability issues.

1991 cars will have freon which is not freely available anymore, so check the AC particularly amongst all the usual things.

Good Luck.
    Hi all,

Thanks,

Mike
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    wow, I don't know how good this Camry will be but 30K for what was supposedly a family car is an awful lot! I would think the Nissan Maxima would be a better deal at this price, or maybe even the bigger and more plush Avalon. Then of course, there is the Acura TL. I hope that Toyota isn't falling in love with themselves too much and put out some discounts as soon as the initial hype settles. If you ask me, I'd be hard pressed to sign the dotted line for a $30K CAMRY!