Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The official release date on the new Camry is sometime in mid-September, hence no pics or brochures available. We always get the vehicles into dealerships before the media blitz is launched.

: )

Mackabee
    As I posted on friday or saturday, pricing will be released to the general public on August 14th (tomorrow) so you might want to check www.toyota.com and look under "news" or "press releases"

Mackabee
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Thanks for the info.; why do Toyota dealerships get the new Camry before the public unveiling? To cope with the demand?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    What are the prices for the optional packages available for the SE and LE models? I probably couldn't afford the XLE models. Also, will the Camry get steering wheel radio controls now? Thanks in advance
    Maxamillion
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    The '02 Camry looks incredible in person!! The pictures don't do it justice! I sat in the XLE V6 which listed for $29,500. The front seats have plenty of support (8-way power for driver AND pass.) and rear leg room is plentiful. The trunk even looks deeper. This car actually has style!! I never thought I'd say that about a CAMRY....

From what I've seen thus far, the '02 Camry looks better than the '02 ES 300. Most dealerships should have at least one tomorrow, so check it out. You will be just as surprised as I was. Toyota has another top seller on its hands!
  • steves24vsteves24v Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased a new Camry LE and used my $1000 rebate $$ toward my down payment. In California, the dealers cannot sell the car for $1000 less. Unlce Sam want's every bit of tax $$ they can get.
    Have driven 2 days now and my back aches for a couple of hours after driving the car. I have the power seat but there is no lumbar adjustment and not forward/rearward tilt on the base, just up and down. The seats are uncomfortable. Maybe I am just out of shape and need to loose some girth. Although I am only a 34 waist.
    Anyway, I paid for aftermarket leather and am having it installed tommorow. By evening it will be ready. I spoke with the leather installer and they told me there are many complaints about the Camry cloth seats. Apparantly the design is poor and the cloth tensile is not very strong. What happens is that the foam and cloth are not very supportive, as compared to other cloth seats. Drivers sink too low into the seat and the "bulging" lower part of the seat hits the wrong section of the lower back, thus causing pain and/or discomfort while driving.
    The leather I am installing is perforated version with foam support padding sewn onto the backside for both the lower and upper portions. I am hoping that this will take car of some of the discomfort and add a good amount of support and padding to the front seats. By the way...the back seats are incredibly comfortable!
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Any of you who stop by a dealership and have digicams, take pix! Don't make us wait : )
  • jcthom4jcthom4 Member Posts: 24
  • ken135ken135 Member Posts: 10
    I looked at a Super white SE and a Desert sand mica LE last night. Both have the spoiler (standard on the SE and option on the LE).

From the front, it looks exactly at that shown on http://mag-x.com/scoop/camry0106/index.html.

Form the side, It does not look as sleek as that shown on http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3971&n=158,178&sid=178.

It looks taller and to me look like a Lexus GS300 from the side.

From the rear, it looks a big like Avalon as well as Maxima. Though it is much better looking to me than both Avalon (it ugly look turn me off) and Maxima (acceptable look to me), and I also agree with post #1356 that it looks better than the '02 ES300.

It is pretty nice inside, rear leg room is adequate and trunk is deep.

Sorry I did not have camera nor digicams with me.

Still there is no brochure yet and the dealer have no idea when they will get it.

• lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Let me start by saying I love Toyotas and think they are great cars. My family has owned several Lexus models and all have been wonderful. However, I have to question Toyota's pricing. A loaded Camry for nearly $30,000? No question it is a great car. But a loaded Accord, the Camry's direct competitor, is $25,500. That is a huge difference in this price segment! And the Accord is every bit as good. I suppose some people may love the Camry styling more or something like that, but that is a lot for a Camry. Plus, the upscale Acura TL is about the same price! Two years ago my sister looked at buying a Solara. It was nearly $4000 more than the Acura TL (the old model), which she would up buying. I think Toyota needs to keep in mind that as great as the Camry is, it is still sold at a non-luxury dealer where the service is, on average, just average (for example, the Toyota dealer would not provide my sister with any loaner cars). And its prime competitor, the Accord, is just as good for thousands less.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can someone please post some digital pictures of the new Camry when they are at the dealerships this week. I am dying to see them. From everything I hear it is a knockout but I have not seen good pictures. Would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    You claimed you have taken pictures of the 2002 Camry and would post them here after developing.

Have you changed your mind?
    In my previous post, I meant to say my sister bought an Acura CL, not TL. Sorry for any confusion.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I was wondering how the aging 2001 Accord could possibly compete with the new 2002 Camry, but I se how now.
    At the same $30K for a fully loaded XLE V6 with navigation, you could actually get a "new" 2001 Lexus ES300 with Value Package after discounting.
    Without navigation a loaded 2002 Camry XLEV6 will be about $28K if it is $30K with it.
    Even if you get a less loaded model with $2000 less in options, that it still $26K.
    The fully loaded Accord with 200HP, leather, moonroof, dual power seats, homelink, 6-disc CD, alloy wheels and on and on stickers for $25.5 and can be had for $23K plus discount financing.
    A TL with navigation is available discounted to a little less than the MSRP of a topped out 2002 Camry.
    If the dealers are planning zero discounts on all new 2002 Camrys, then it will not be competetive at all.
    Just got our 2002 Camry in, 2 Le's and an XLE. Keep in mind the 97-2001 XLE stickered for around 28-29k fully loaded AND we didn't have a problem selling those. The 2002 has MORE standard equipment, more options available and tops out at 30k, we won't have any problems selling these either. The new Camry just raised the benchmark (AGAIN) for it class.

Mackabee
    The poster a few posts back said the loaded 2002 XLE he saw was $29,500. Was that without nav? If so, is it about $31,500 with nav?
    The navigation system package is $2,120.00 on the SE trim level and $1,830.00 on the XLE's. This package would take the place of several other packages and deletes the 6disc in dash player. Only a single cd player with cassette is available with the nav option. For example in place of GV (package#8 which includes d/p power seats, leather/am/fm/6disc JBL speakers P215/60r16 tires and 16 in. alloy wheels, and sunroof) you could get GW package #9 which includes d/p power seats, leather, Nav system, 3-in-1 JBL w/6speakers P215/60r16 tires and alloy wheels. Package #8 is $2,320.00 and package #9 is $3,950.00 so with the Nav system you are looking at an XLE for around $31,500.00

Mackabee
    Maxamillion1, there are no radio controls on the steering wheel. The prices on the option packages for the LE and SE are as follows:
    GH (LE only) $585.00
    GI package 2 $875.00
    GJ package #3 $2,065.00
    GK package 4 $$3,115.00 SE V6 only
    GL package 5 $3,695.00 SE V6 only
    GT package 6 $4,745.00 SE V6 only
    GU package 7 $1,150.00 SE V6 only

some of these packages cannot be ordered together as they conflict with some equipment. I'll post the equipment content later tonight.

Mackabee
  • sinjin_dogsinjin_dog Member Posts: 84
    I really like the look of 02 Camry, but please, 31.5K for XLE, it's only Toyota Camry.
    We need reliable appliacnces not a fancy toy.
    Thank You for the prices
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    sinjin-dog,

Then do not buy a $31500.00 camry and buy a $20,000 camry.

See, solved your problem.
    I guess if I get a Camry, it will be a SE 4 cylinder. Is the Moonroof a single option my itself.
  • robicheaux1robicheaux1 Member Posts: 2
  • camrylover2camrylover2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Camry LE V6. This car had been repaired four times in the dealership since check engine light was on. Four of my friends bought the same model and got the same problem. So, I do not recommend to purchase 2001 LE V6 model.
    First the good stuff:

Great styling inside and out. The interior is by far the best I have seen period. The cloth interior on the SE was very sport like and the dash instrument cluster was way cool. The car drove like a dream, better than my 93 Lexus SC400.

I am 6'1 265lbs and was very comfortable with lots of leg room with 6 inches between my knees and the dash board. Everything was at my finger tips and stereo was excellent. The center arm rest was big enough inside to hold a six-pack.

The bad:

Price? 24,800, no V-6 see ya.

Needs a V-6, the 4 banger was fine for a base model but this car is weak with out the V6. Would much rather give up sun roof and fancy wheels for the V6. Back seat entry was about the same as old Camry getting in and out, unlike the Maxima which is great.

I told the salesman he can call me in 4 weeks after I drive the 2002 Altima.

I think Toyota has another winner here as long Nissan's Altima is priced accordingly.
  • robicheaux1robicheaux1 Member Posts: 2
    Just got back from test driving a 2002 Desert Sand XLEV6 Camry!! It is a very nice
    car!! It was fully loaded except it did not have the "head air bag curtain". The dashboard is
    pushed further away from the driver as Honda does with the Accord. Makes you think there
    is more space in front, which I believe there probably is. The dashboard is two-toned, just like
    in the ES300 Lexus. Very upscale looking. The automatic air conditioning was easy to use and
    there is a trip computer with a center dash layout, with the controls on the steering wheel. Seems like these buttons would be better used for the radio,(but that's my preference). You sit much higher in this car, just like in the Avalon. The ride was very smooth and refined with no wind noice noticable, but then I only got it up to 60mph. I checked the engine response and accelerated from 30 to 60 and found the engine made more noice than my 99LEV6.(which I cannot hear at all). The ride was perfect for me. Very controlled, but smoooooooth!!! The radio was a 6 speaker setup that was adequate, but not anything special. The sticker was$
    28950.00. OUCH!!! This is a VERY nice car, but I have trouble with those numbers. Lots of other cars in that price range (Acura TL, Maxima, Passat GLX) The Acura and Passat will have better warranties being( 4yrs./50,000 miles). But I do like the looks. Finally the interior has some class to it!!! Digicam was in my RX300, so I didn't have the digicam for pix. But all dealers have at least one for you to drive and enjoy. Hope this helps!!!
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Did the dash look similar to the released pix of the ES300? Is the car actually taller (like the ECHO) or you just sit taller? Man I still haven't seen one in person : (
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    People on the board are getting really worked up over prices, but isnt it true that for the 4th generation Camry only about 10-20% (depending on region) were sold as V6 models, let alone XLE V6 models? I really wouldnt worry about the top end fully loaded price of 31.5K for a Camry, cause how many are actually going to be sold that way? Even so, for that price you're getting features that other competing vehicles can't offer.. like the Nav system, VSC, Curtain Side Impact Airbags, etc. So my question is... are all those who are posting on this board really interested in the loaded XLE V6? Cause it seems to be an interesting majority if that's the case. If you think its too much of a premium for a Camry, go buy a TL.

The only pricing post that has me concerned is the $24,800 for an SE 4clyinder. I agree that a $23,700(plus dest) SE V6 (all autos..grr..) with comparative fewer boxes checked off on the options list would be a better choice.

Mackabee (if you dont mind) how much, including destination, is an LE 4cly automatic with ABS, pwr driver's seat, keyless entry, and CD audio? (kinda similar to the basic package available on 2001 LEs)?

~alpha
    The official pricing press release can be read at Toyota.com, for those who are interested.

from the home page:
    click About Toyota
    click News
    scroll down to "Product"
    ~alpha
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I've owned 3 Accords, including our current '01 EX V6 sedan [a superb car], and a total of 5 Camrys. I look forward to a drive in the new car, because I am especially interested to see if the new seats fix the thigh-support [lack thereof] that drove me out of our last Camry.

I think it is premature to wave your arms too much at this stage over pricing. HOWEVER, I would also observe to Cliffy and Mac and the other insiders on the board that my first reaction also was one of disbelief. Now, we veterans all know that very soon [inside of 3-6 mos], the marketplace will dictate the price of this car, not Toyota's window sticker. That was reality yesterday, and it will be reality again tomorrow.

And the real bread-and-butter will not be loaded XLEs, but moderately optioned LEs, as always. Having said that, if your transaction prices in the real world vary more than [my very experienced guess] about 5% from the norm for this class, then it's going to be rebate time again before Easter gets here.

One of the things to keep in mind about Toyota's MSRPs is that they don't hesitate to use rebates [historically], whereas Honda considers them the kiss of death. Thus Honda retail stickers are set at a level that will almost always undercut their Toyota counterparts, though this is not written in stone anywhere. Honda is willing to subvent leases and discount financing, but they don't do rebates.

Prediction: if a moderately well equipped LE V6 is going to sell for real-world, discounted, actual transaction prices 6 months from now for more than $23k or so, then you will have a roaring bonafide hit. Our '01 Accord EX V6, which I can tell you after nearly a year in our hands is one great piece of work, stickered for $25.5 with everything except curtain head bags, and transaction prices are $22.7 - $23.5k. For that price, the only tradeoffs vs the current Camry were a bit more noise [not much mind you, after the changes that Honda made this year], and a bit firmer ride...pretty traditional differences between the two marques. Oh, and my car was considerably more comfortable and roomy than the Camry.

Now the new Camry is roomier, hopefully more comfortable for larger adults, and I'm sure is even more refined. That will be worth something...until the new Accord comes out in 12 months, never mind the new Altima in 3 weeks. But I too predict that Toyota will find it has overreached on the MSRPs, and watch for rebates before the end of the first model year...say by summer of '02. Trying to sustain transaction premiums over the competition of more than $1k or so is going to be very difficult. I'll be an interested spectator...and an eager test driver as soon as the initial hoo-hah blows over and dealer inventory starts to build.

Anyway, to all of you worried about pricing - stay calm and be patient...the marketplace will dictate the right answer, as it always does.
    alpha01 the 2002 Camry le is priced at $21,455 with the following options:FE,AB,GI,which compared to the 2001 is actually about $200 dollars less AND now you get the am/fm/cass/cd w/6speakers (JBL) and also a bigger more powerful engine, not to mention a larger car. I was comparing the specs of the Camry with the Avalon and the trunk is bigger on the Camry. Interior volume on the Camry is 97 cubic feet, on the Avalon is 101 cubic feet. This morning when I got to work I walked by the Camry and the Avalon as they were parked side by side and the Camry is slightly longer. You could easily mistake one for the other if you are not paying attention. I drove the 4cyl earlier and that engine has nothing to be ashamed of. The V6 felt the same as in the 2001 although I did not take that one on the interstate which I did the 4cyl. My overall impression is that we have another hit (grand slam) on our hands. As far as all the people screaming "wolf" about the XLE pricing, just remember about 90% of all Camrys sold in this country are of the 4cylinder variety. Full product brochures should be in stores by Sept 4th, a mid-August pre-launch ad campaign is being launched before the all out media blitz Sept 3rd. We have a one page glossy handout/brochure now at the dealerships with a description, and standard equipment, and pictures of the car. Stop by your local Toyota dealer and pick one up.

Mackabee
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    oh, the horror and suspense! I have been waiting to see this car in person for a while. I dig it from the limited pics I've seen so far, mostly because I'm a fan of the Solara styling.
    Toyota posted the facts, and did anyone notice the sporty additions on the SE? Shame you can only get an auto, but in DC traffic, I will not be driving a manual anytime soon! Once the dust settles, if I can get a nicely loaded SE 4-banger for under 23k, I'll unload my 1996 Pathfinder for it! (talk about uncomfortable seats!!!)
    also, anyone notice the highway mileage of the 4 auto? 32??? very nice!

- itching to drive one
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    31.5K is alot for a Camry! Granted, it looks awesome, but there are too many near-luxury sedans that are in the same price range. If I am going to spend 30K, I'll take the '02 3.2 TL S-type (w/o nav).

If you like the '02 Camry but "cringe" at the price, just wait until the excitement calms down. This sticker shock will be a thing of the past at least by 2nd qtr '02 and deals will be plentiful. I have my eye on an '02 SE 4cyl w/ alloys, sunroof, and JBL...but not for almost 25K!
    .........I just got back from my nearest Toyota dealership in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Those people are so rude. I walk in the dealership everybody except one person ignores me. BTW, there were no 2002 Camrys at that dealership, but the guy did give me a nifty little brochure about the new Camry. On the front of the brochure is a large picture of a Camry XLE which appears to be Lunar Mist, quite nice if I must say so myself. Flip it on the back, and you will see a picture of each model. The LE's new hubcabs look awfully similar to the ones found on the Avalon XL. To my surprise, the SE AND XLE 4 cylinder models DON'T EVEN HAVE ALLOY WHEELS STANDARD!!! For these prices, I can see how the Accord will survive another year. That is really a shame. The hubcabs for the XLE 4 cylindrer model are UGLY, but the ones on the SE look like the ones from the Corolla S, which look sporty to me. I don't really care for the Stone interior, which looks beige to me, what ever happened to gray interiors. The Charcoal on the SE model looks great. The SE model has black-out front headlamps, similar to the Infiniti I30t. The styling looks very AValon, which is still nice.

Right now my choices include:
    2002 Camry SE I4 manual
    2002 Camry LE I4 manual
    2002 Nissan Altima 2.5S manual
    2002 Nissan Altima 2.5SL manual
    2002 Nissan Altima 3.5SE manual
    2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX manual
    2002 Nissan Maxima 3.5SE manual
    2002 Infiniti I35 with Sport pkg.
    if you want to see some pics, go to www.camryman.org

look under the forum and it's posted. the pics are large and a little fuzzy, but you'll get a feel for it!

can't wait to see it in person!

no alloys on an SE model is pretty odd, but they figure us SE types will just throw our own rims on it anyways. 20" rims...ahhhh ya

"all show, no go"
    -hooligan
  • fiery1fiery1 Member Posts: 31
    camryman's site has tons of photos of the 2002 and loads of data now.

The Camry 2002's are available in SE as stick only in the 4 cyl. That SE is also available in automatic, as well as an automatic V6. The sparkplugs in all are iridium tipped for 120k mile lifetime. That vvt-i motor is beefy and smooth as silk. The lower line model is no more(CE) and the model lines now start with a very lovely equipped LE. The next step up is the XLE or SE model. SE is standard with better suspension, 16" alloys and sport guages, sport shocks, and other sporty frills.
    now that's the stuff i'm talking about. now, when they list the features of the SE, are these all standard (spoiler, tinted lenses, etc.) or do you have to pony up more cash to get that via option packages???
    i noticed it mentions *gasp* wheel covers, so i don't think alloys are in the base price, right? even so, all those goodies for 20,300 (4-manual) is very nice. throw in auto, alloys, sunroof, and we're sitting at 22k (MSRP). give it 6-8 months, and get it out the door for 21k (inc. dest.)
    guess we'll see how much zip that new 4 has. the 6 will catch some heat from the 2002 altima (255 hp), but its rear is enough to make me not buy it!

"a wise man once said that it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
    The 2002 Altima (Sept 14) has 240 HP (V6) not 255 HP. The 2002 Maxima is 255 HP.

The 4 cylinder Altima will have 175 HP. I think the Altima rear tails lights are very GS400 like.

I will drive the Altima then decide which car to buy.
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Are you serious 30,500 for a Toyota Camry????
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Does anyone get Toyota's advertising strategy on this one? We've been seeing the Altima for 4 months now, but Toyota delivers the new Camry's to dealers without even a post on their web page?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    It is even higher priced than I thought. I wanted to like this car. I thought it might be a way to get the features I liked in the Acura TL, like navigation for a little less money and with more convenient dealer locations, but it didn't turn out that way.
    2002 Acura TLs with navigation have a MSRP of $31,360 including the destination charge and are sometimes available discounted down to about $30K.
    They come with a 4 year B2B warranty, 5-speed automatic with Tiptronic, more power and more prestige than a Toyota Camry at least.
    The Camry XLE V6 without the nav may be priced slightly less than a MSRP of a Passat GLX, but the GLX is usually available discounted even more than a TL and has a gorgeous interior.
    A brand-new 2001 Lexus ES300 with leather, CD and moonroof is available for less than $31,500 after discounting.
    Many people with $31K to spend would prefer to have a Lexus or Acura for that much money.
    In that price range, the Camry is also competing with Infinitis, Volvo's, and other near-luxury models in that range.
    You could also spend $23K on a a relatively lightly equipped 2002 Camry LE or a the same $23K on a discounted 2002 Accord EXV6 that is equipped more like a heavily-loaded XLE.
    People are going to rush to buy these 2002 Camrys for how long at these prices???
    my guess is so that anyone who wouldnt have known doesn't find out unnecessarily, Toyota thereby getting rid of the 2001s a bit more easily at a slightly higher (or hoping for a slightly higher)
    profit, without astronomical rebates.
    Think about it... do you know anyone who, since, say... April who has been seriously considering a 2001 Altima.... You'd really have to care only about price to buy one, and not at least wait to see what the 2002 has to offer. This probably made it a bit harder to sell the Altima without huge rebates.
    does anyone agree or have different ideas?
    thanks,
    alpha

PS- no alloy wheels as standard is bizarre on the XLE, especially since items like the JBL audio and rear sunshade are included. I guess thats the price that you pay for shaving $1800 off the 01's XLE 4cly base price.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    so much for not decontenting the Camry... no alloy wheels on the XLE? Sounds a bit weird... however, I will say that the $30K MSRP for a fully loaded, nav equipped XLE V6 isn't too far fetched or surprising, considering the '01 XLE V6 MSRP of about $28K. So, considering the nav system costs just about $2K, that turns out to be 30K. So, if you don't go for the nav system, the MSRP of the XLE V6 will actually be pretty much the same as the '01 model. Of course, an '01 goes for about $23K-24K loaded, but the last generation Camry sold around invoice when it came out as well. I don't think the prices aren't going to be as bad as people are deciphering it to be. Of course, I agree with others that I would much rather see the Acura TL w/ nav system in my garage than the boring Camry!
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    When the Camry redesign came out in 92 the SE was a much different car then the other Camry models, V6 standard, spoiler standard, much stiffer and sporty suspension but, unfortunately, did not sell enoubh to keep the line alive.

Mackabee is a true toyota dealer, actually should be a BMW dealer, he has the arrogance for it! If you want basic, reliable 4 cyl transportation then Camry is it, if you want something different, a better V6 and something fun to drive, many many other options out there. And, Toyota dealers are becoming truly arrogant and after reading the sludge issues with the engines I do think they have a design problem since 98 redesing of the engine, run hot and nitration sets in and sludges the oil which Toyota refuses to cover under warranty!!!!!
  • jar2104jar2104 Member Posts: 1
    Where can you find invoice pricing on the 2002 Camry and option packages?
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    After seeing a few preview teaser pictures of the new Camry, and then going to the camryman.org website, I really like the exterior. I think it blends Taurus-like headlamps nicely along with an Aurora-style taillights. The side design resembles that of an Intrepid.

I'm a bit disappointed, however, with the interior styling of the new Camry. Maybe the pictures posted on camryman.org don't do justice, but it looks like the interior is a bit bland. The gauges are done tastefully, but they're a bit boring, as is the center console. The clock at the top of the center console does add a nice touch.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    the exterior of the 2002 Camry is nice. A gigantic improvement over the 2001 Camry, and personally looks better than Accord sedan.

but the interior-even though 100% better than 2001 Camry-still is kinda weak. It looks kinda like a Accord interior because of that big open bin in front of the shift lever.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Can someone explain the logic of Toyota's adding an "SE" version, yet dropping the 5 speed V6???? Let's see: Nissan offers the Maxima SE with a 5 speed, the new Altima 3.5 will offer a 5 speed, the Passat V6 offers a 5 speed, Audi A4 offders a 5 speed V6, Mazda offers the 626 in this configuration, and rumor has it that even steadfast Honda may finally offer it in the 2003 Accord. Is Camryman.org's info incomplete?