Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Here on the Left Coast, TLs pretty routinely sell for somewhere between $1.5 and $2k under MSRP in big city competitive markets, like LA. CLs are even cheaper - SF Chronicle was featuring Nav-equipped CL-S for less than $28k. Considering the superior warranty and 5-spd automatic and extra performance, once you get up near the $30k mark, it is time to consider how much worthy competition there is out there.

On the other hand, in two months, after the pipeline has been completely filled, the inventory on most lots will mirror the needs of most buyers, and it will be routine to buy the new Camry at transaction prices that mirror the competition - $20k for moderately equipped 4s, $23k for moderately equipped 6s.

Toyota always sends fully loaded cars out first, on the assumption that those who absolutely have to buy first will pay for the privilege. Try to avoid overreacting to these stories about loaded XLEs...unless you actually were in the market for this kind of car, in which case the alternatives [Acura, Lexus, Mercedes, etc] are certainly out there.
  • woods6woods6 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to these message boards but from time to time i would read some of the messages posted concerning the camry. Recently, my moms tested a 02' CAMRY SE and this car handled & performed like a dream(much better than her 99' CAMRY SOLORA SLE). My moms has always owned CAMRY's but opt for the SOLORA, here reasoning being that the 97-01' CAMRY looked like an old lady's car, which was not the image she was looking for. This 5th generation CAMRY may carry with it a high premium price for its class but once u take it for a test drive one shortly learns why. The car we tested was fully loaded with silver exterior and dark charcoal interior...one word SWEET!!!!!....and stickered at a MSRP of $30,365. I have read some people on here say, oh the camry has only a max. of 192hp, the price is too high, the new altima has more horsepower(in SE form), and this and that. This all may be true but u can believe this car will hold on to its title for the 5th straight year. And for those who say that the price is just too high to even consider....my advice is stop looking at the XLE V6 or SE models and look at the LE which comes nicely equipped,because all-n-all toyota has done a good job with its 5th generation camry, giving it more room, higher quality interior material, new and refined 4-cylinder engine, better handling and steering, more optional safety equipment, and one we were all waiting and looking for BETTER EXTERIOR STYLING.......So do yourself a favor and go test drive the NEW camry.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Almost 30 grand for a 4-banger? That sure makes my Lincoln LS (V6) at $31 a bargin! There isn't enough room here to list all the features!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    What 30K four banger are you talking about? Its not a Camry, although your LS V6 (if you have an auto) at 9.0 seconds to 60 probably feels like one. (Camrys that hover around the 30K mark have the 192hp/209 lb-ft 3.0 V6)
    ~alpha
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    feels NOTHING like a Camry or 9 seconds. Besides 0-60 isn't realistic for ANY car. Try 30-60, 60-90 or 40-60. Also handling is more important. Anytime you want to compare........ Besides, these cars are in different segments and appeal to different buyers.

I know I kinda invaded here, but I've always thought the Camry was overpriced. I will stick to the foreign competitors in that a loaded Accord is nowhere near the price of the same Toyota. And for the money (if I were to buy a FWD appliance), I'd get the TL-S, CL-S, 300M, V8 Aurora, or even the IS300. A friend bought a loaded Camry around 1994 (the "rounded" body style) and paid close to $29k back then. That's when a loaded Accord or Taurus/Sable went for about $20k.
    passing times, and handling info, for example, between the Lincoln LS V6 and (since no new data are yet available) the 97-01 gen Camry V6, just take out the February 2000 issue of Car and Driver for the stats on the Lincoln, and for the Camry V6, Car and Driver has stats available in the June or July (can't remember offhand, my apologies) 1999 issue.
    I will agree with you that 29K for a Camry in 1994 is absurd, and I imagine that the dealership that completely rooked your friend is very looking forward toward once again taking advantage of his/her financial ignorance. Think they could charge, say 36K$ and get away with it? Hmmn.
    ~alpha
  • p51_mustangp51_mustang Member Posts: 7
    Once again, photos of the 2002 Camry are available at http://www.geocities.com/o2_camry_photos . Inside, outside, stickers, different wheel packages...
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    ...couldn't help notice that the 2002 Camry's trunk lid and tail lights share some similarities with the current Hyundai Eccent...
  • bsahabsaha Member Posts: 7
    Hi Guys,

My Camry LeV6 is due for 30K service. Until now, I have followed the Maintainence book & only changed oil & filter. The Book states the 30K service should have the oil filter changed apart from the standard, OIL / Filter, Rotate tires.
    The Dealer ofcourse has a long list of points, including coolant, transamission etc etc. I live in Detroit & the dealer feels there's more wear & tear in the bad weather. Approx cost is $275.

Should I go by the dealer or by the book.

Thanks in advance.
    Bsa
  • ken135ken135 Member Posts: 10
    Autoweek.com review
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    30 k for a camry was reasonable.....

um, no.

hardly. maybe 25-26k for aloaded one. Yeah the car's good, but not that good.

Atleast if they are gonna want 30-32k for one, rename the darn car. Camry sounds CHEAP. Give it a new name with a little sizzle.

Camry....something you might name a small dog that gets run over or beaten up by neighbor dogs a lot.

Hell, Honda sells a 30k plus Accord but at least they have the decency to call it an Acura TL.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Don't ever make a comparison of a Toyota to a Hyundai. YUCK! Toyota wins in every area except price.

If 3rd generation Camrys were going for similar prices as today....then today's Camry is a great deal.
  • kjookjoo Member Posts: 27
    Has the camry and ill like the nissan please.
  • fiery1fiery1 Member Posts: 31
    I had a lot of Camry interest this weekend... specifically SE and V6. The V6 I demo'ed caught me by surprise. I had too thought it was a costly car to sell (they are pricy) but after having prospective buyers for one and going thru the entire car with them, including the 109-page Nav system manual, I am convinced that the SE V6 is worth every penny. The leather is soft and supple, love that rear sunshade, and the NAV system, with the 3-way tilt and tons of uses (calendar too!) and the smoothness of the drive and ride, the total quality inside and out, well, I could just go one here but I would encourage anyone 'net-sitting to do themselves a favor. Find an SE with the equipment codes HD GT GU CF and an MSRP of $30,544. Ask some salesperson at some dealership to take a little time with you and really look/feel this car in ride, drive, and performance. Handling is superb. The black pearl emblems and the brushed metal accents inside and the rear spoiler and such add the "classic" look as well. But, it's the quality and the handling and RIDE that convinced me.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Do you have a P-51?
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Base 2.5 S $17,999.00

Additional info here:

Click on links, then click "fresh alloy"

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/allnew2002nissanaltima

• ravvie4meravvie4me Member Posts: 110
    The navigation system's manual is 109 pages! Almost as big as the owners manual, I bet!

-RAVvie4me
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can anyone tell me if all the 2001 Lexus ES300s have been delivered to the dealers at this time or are there more still coming?
  • lordaiurlordaiur Member Posts: 1
    the rear of the 2002 camry looks a bit too much like that of the previous altima...w/ brake lights wrapping around the Reverse lights...not that that's a bad thing... =) The front DEFINITELY looks better though, and the SE interior is quite sweet...check out www.familycar.com to see for yourself.
  • dmmoore72dmmoore72 Member Posts: 1
    I can tell you first hand that the 02 Camry, all models, are new & improved & well worth the dollars. Previous models, as well, however Toyota's reputation surpasses a fancy body. Much like those guys & dolls that are great to look at but you gotta wonder if the lights ever come on inside those pretty little heads & wonderful bodys, huh? Sound familiar? Well, I agree that the previous body style was more a senior citizen style, however, I attended the launch for the new Camry, as an employee of a local Toyota dealership & I have to say, I was impressed. Toyota's quality remains in check & remarkable. The best of the best. They finally just got around to noticing that vanity is our thing these days & we need to have a little style with that safety & longevity. I just sold a LE 4 cyl and the MSRP is just slightly over $20k. You look into the V6 XLE & SE fully loaded, Yes your up in the $30k +. And truely, worth it. The body style is not in reference to the Nissan, however, take a closer look at the Toyota Avalon, Toyota's top of the line sedan, you'll find the new Camry to be right up there in most all categories. A far cry from being in the middle of Corolla to Avalon! As for the horsepower, in numbers, one may have more than another, but ask any mechanic about engines & the actual "pick up" in relation to what horsepower means. The HP may be lower than some, but I'd consider who's going to pull you out of a bind more quickly, my bet's going with a toyota engine. You all have very valid points & justified opinions, this just coming from one who loves her job & believes in the product. Just a little FYI.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    AND if you order in the next 20 minutes, you get a free roll of toilet paper absolutely free! So call now! The number: 1800-dmmoore! AND REMEMBER, LOWER HORSEPOWER DON'T MEAN JACK!
  • hillmrvhillmrv Member Posts: 10
    My wife has only one concern, does the Camry have cup holders for the back seat?

Also is the leg room better than the 2001 Camry?
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    Seems to me that I have heard that song before.
  • private1private1 Member Posts: 11
    i have a 98 LE that has ended its lease. i have a scratch on the side from someone keying it. (major irritation) what is your recommendation on turning it in? Should i pay to paint it or is Toyota lenient on end of lease problems i am still deciding if i will re lease a toyota or not. any help is appreciated
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Generally, tiny nicks and scratches and small rock chips that can be touched up are not a big deal. However, if your car was keyed, you are probably going to have it repaired and repainted and pay the insurance deductable.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Actually lower horsepower doesn't mean much. It is torque that accelerates a car. Horsepower is what gives it its top speed, and last I checked most states are at 65 mph (75 in these parts though)
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    From the interior pictures, it doesn't. I believe only the Nissan Maxima or I30 had it.
    Slip down the back seat console, there are two cup holders. Rear leg room is 1-1/2" more than 2001, according to http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=coverstory&loc_code=index&content_code=00361157
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Ken135 hit it right on the head. I've read the same. The cupholders are like in the Avalon. The improvement is that the middle person has more legroom....but the bad part is that there is no middle seat with cupholders open. Trading problems in for new ones....although I find it convenient in the Avalon when you have stuff in the floorboard. Front seat driver/passenger can access it easier...in case you are like my mom and put your coffee in the back so it doesn't spill on you as you drive to work.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...yep, right there with talking on the phone...every time I think I've heard it all...
  • rwong1998rwong1998 Member Posts: 38
    a nice writeup with Canadian pricing and package content information from Canadian Driver

http://www.canadiandriver.com/previews/02camry.htm

• stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    I think Toyota has done a great job with the styling of the Camry, it'll be a big hit with Avalon buyers and traditional Camry buyers in their 50s. That spoiler on the SE really looks tacky, though.

It looks too bloated, or unathletic to appeal to a lot of younger people, the new Altima will do better with the younger crowd.
    The SE instrument panel looks good except for the large, cheap-looking dials for the HVAC. They should have made climate control an option for the SE also, not just XLE.
    The mandatory rear spolier is also tacky.
    They are trying to appeal to both elderly Avalon buyers and younger buyers looking for something sporty with the same vehicle, but I don't see any need for an Avalon II with a spoiler in the back.
    Yes the spoiler should be optional instead of standard on the SE, at least on the 4-cylinder model.

However, the 92-96 Camry SE had a standard spoiler. I guess that is an assumption by Toyota that "spoiler=sporty," especially on a car like the Camry. The spoiler is probably to attract the youth market too, heck, it's even offered on the Echo.

-RAVvie4me
    Sometimes a spoiler looks good. It looked fine on the 92-96 Camry and looks good on the current Accord Coupe, but it doesn't fit the look of the 2002 Camry.
    The spoiler is optional even on the sportier Altima 3.5 SE.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    ....it's the rear bumper that I don't like, I don't think it extends down far enough, I like the way the Altima's sags down and the way the tailpipes have a sculpted cut out, that's good attention to detail.
    the spoiler on the Camry looks downright horrible... looks like a homemade car part tacked on with no stylish intentions or thoughts.
  • doismilldoismill Member Posts: 6
    I think the spoiler would look better if it was flush with the body of the car. The big gap between the trunk lid and the edge of the spoiler is what makes it look tacky to me.

I'm a 17 year old driver and I find the Camry SE just as appealing as the Nissan Altima. I like that the Camry is not so "Cab-forward." And I also like the reputation of Camry. I have an 84 Corolla, and it's like butter. Being a young buyer, the price of the new Corolla S looks much better.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    The spoiler was much smaller but what really made teh earlier SEs (I ahve one) is the handling package, stiffer suspension and mine still handles liek a dream on curves. Does the new SE have a different suspension then the LE or XLE or is it just all window dressing?

I looked at the new line last wee, very pricey, all were over $28,000.

I know I can get a New Maxima for less and certainly an Altima
    does indeed have a stiffer suspension and slightly "heavier" steering, and is not just a dresser up type, as Toyota did with the Corolla S.
    ~alpha01
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Don't any of you notice a blatant omission?

Hopefully, the spoiler is port-installed and can be deleted.
    Spoiler on SE is factory installed (standard equipment), not port-installed.
    Let me switch with you on the trunk lid with the spoiler, I am looking for a base LE model with spoiler.
  • kippy95kippy95 Member Posts: 7
    I'm planning to buy a new 2002 Camry LE 2.4L automatic, in the coming week. I'd priced out this car and willing to pay $21,500 with these options:
    Anti-lock Brake (AB), Floormat (CF), and
    Package #3 (GJ):
    -Keyless Entry w/ab Hazard Buzzer.
    -Power Driver's Seat Package.
    -Radio: JBL 3-in-1 Premium Combo w/Changer.
    -Sunshade.
    -Cargo Net.
    -Power Tilt & Slide Moonroof.

Does anyone think I can do better than this price?
    Any suggestion?
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    "And hey folks you can get a fully loaded Diamante for 24k (which looks classier) and you can probably score a 300M, LHS or Aurora for less money than the new Camry."

All well and good. And Sunday I bought my '01 Millenia, sticker 29594 including the dealers $925 wash and wax, for $21830. Out the door including tax, tag, and everything else, $23779.

This friends is a loaded luxury car, for the price of a stripper Camry V-6. It is also IMHO much better looking, and flawlessly assembled.

Also at the head of the class with the Camcord and Max in reliability rating on every source I can find.
  • p51_mustangp51_mustang Member Posts: 7
    Man, that's one ugly car. Looks like a Hyundai or something. The rear end is way too high up, the headlights are messed up, and the cheap wheels are just way too small. Tell me what you guys think. And if you haven't seen it, there are pictures of it at http://www.geocities.com/o2_camry_photos . Yeah, I may have taken the pictures, but that doesn't mean I like the car. Yeesh!
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    if their Camry has one. That's probably what someone at Toyota was thinking.

Some people have compared the Camry with a Mercedes, in terms of looks. I agree. Ever seen a spoiler on a Mercedes S class sedan? Of course not, it would look silly.
    Toyota deleted the 5-speed from the V6 for emissions requirements. They did this in 1994 when the Camry's V6 switched from the 3VZ-FE (92-93) to the 1MZ-FE (94-current).
    Toyota re-introduced the 5-speed V6 for 1997 in the Camry CE V6 as a manual only model. After 1998, the CE went to 4-cylinder only and the V6 5-speed went into the LE.
    So if history is any indication, Toyota should offer a manual with the V6 in the near future.

-RAVvie4me
    Well, for everyone who complained about the new Camry's prices should either be also complaining about the new Altima's prices or actually convince themselves that the Camry's prices might even be reasonable... the new Altima has been sighted in many dealerships today and looks like the top-end Altima SE V6 with all the option boxes checked is 29K! Plus people even complained about the interior (what a surprise) of the Altima. Looks like Nissan isn't going to be giving Toyota, nor Honda, a competitive model that undercuts others' prices.
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    Well I've already seen a $31,970 Camry.

So I guess $29,000 isn't bad.
    "the new Altima has been sighted in many dealerships today and looks like the top-end Altima SE V6 with all the option boxes checked is 29K!"

"Well I've already seen a $31,970 Camry.
    So I guess $29,000 isn't bad.
    "

Wasn't a loaded Altima supposed to come in around $24k? Man did Nissan overshoot that, it's certainly crowding the Maxima at that price, not to mention the Camry!

-RAVvie4me