Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can one change the oil filter easily on the 3.0 liter V6?
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Member Posts: 45
    Who would pay $29K for a Nissan Altima?!! This is a car that was a tier below the Camry and all of a sudden it's priced near former Maxima GLE levels! Hah!!! I still stand by my statement that $30K for a Camry is reasonable.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Yes, but a $29K Nissan Altima has a 240 hp V-6 engine. And last time I checked, Nissan's reliability record is right up there with Toyota, as well as build quality and refinement.
  • c0kec0ke Member Posts: 44
    Did you run you list through KBB or are you using '01 prices as a guide?
    Also you'll have to consider Destination, TDA, Taxes, Documentation.
    What have I left out? Hope Edmunds pricing guide gets up soon.

Those "gottchas" can queer a deal in a hurry if you're not expecting them.

So far in the price discussions going on I've not seen any posts from a
    current purchaser of an '02. I'll be looking for an LE with options about
    like you have listed (sans moon/sun roof) but I'm reluctant to go "shopping"
    until I can find out if the new models are going out the door for less than MSRP.

I've got a move to deal with (fortunately not mine) in the next couple of weeks so
    after that will be my first opportunity to get out to the dealers. Well, unless
    an extrodinary urge moves me. :-)

Good luck on your quest ... let us know how it goes.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    does anyone know if the 29K Altima comes with Vehicle Skid Control, a Nav system, and Side curtain airbags?
    ~alpha
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    Nav - No, Skid control - No, but traction control - Yes. Side airbags - yes.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Two major considerations if you are a serious short-term [in the next 2 months] customer:

-It is going to take awhile to fill the inventory pipeline. Thus cars in stock are likely to have option combinations that will elevate the price, though one of our locals had at least one 4 cyl LE automatic with only Pkg 1, with an MSRP just over $20k. The rest were either loaded XLEs or SEs with that ridiculous spoiler sitting on the trunklid. Give it some time - even a high volume dealer is going to need weeks to get enough cars to give you some choice.

-Transaction prices will be likewise elevated for some time, as the early adapters seem to willing to pay almost anything. Our local high-volume dealer had only 6 cars in stock, with customers ready to pay sticker or higher, and this was an otherwise dead Tuesday on the week before the holiday.

I sat in the basic LE with the power seat, and am happy to report that the problem with the previous generation that drove me into the arms of Honda, namely the physical size [both depth and width] of the seat bottom, has been addressed. I would have thigh support comparable to my Accord, so this car is back on the shopping list.

Anyway, I counsel a little patience on the pricing question; you need to give the marketplace time to work, and that requires a few months, not a few days. In general, the car seems to be a winner, and given the apparent attack of pricing insanity at Nissan, will no doubt be a great success. Honda will hang in there with their prices giving them a value advantage until the new Accord arrives in a year, but Toyota has clearly hit the target again...the new 4 cyl in particular is a great piece of work, their best in years.
  • ken135ken135 Member Posts: 10
    I counted that there were 27 2002 Camry on the lot at this Number 1 volume dealer here when I visited them last Saturday (25 Aug.) with almost all models presented, from the lowest price LE Manual with couple of option to high end of XLE with every options. The salesmen indicated that there is discount to be given, but I did not counted with offer. I am planning to waite for them to build up more inventories this week and next week, before I start to negotiate for offer. Then I went to the Number 2 dealer, which is only about 7 or 8 miles away; there they have about 10. The last dealer I went to only had 2 on lot. What a disparity.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    The Toyota V6 filker is on the front, relatively easy to change and at a slight angle so a little sloppy

As to MAximas, although sticker is close to $30000 you can pick one up in the lower to mid twenties. Better V6, reliable as anything I have seen or owned for that matter , and a great car without the Toyota dealer attitude!
  • azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    I visited a local Toyota dealer here in Tucson yesterday and asked to see the 2002 Camry. I was informed by a Customer Representative (salesman) that the 2002 models will be "presented to the public" this Saturday.

Big Deal! I thought this was Toyota...I might expect this from Lexus or Mercedes. Last week I was in Phoenix and the 2002 models were already being "presented to the public". Dealer arrogance turns me off.

After owning several Camrys...am going to take a serious look at an Infiniti.
    ...that's what competition is all about, but to anyone who has driven both and has a modicum of sensitivity about the differences, the ride quality of either the Max or the I3x is decidedly firmer than the Camry, and even firmer than the slightly more brittle Accord. People who buy these cars obviously don't mind, but I would...all depends on what you want. Our '01 Accord V6 has about the firmest ride I want to live with on a daily basis...the Nissan twins as alternatives don't cut it for me, though the Altima seems to be better [according to the magazines...I'll withhold judgment until I try one myself].
  • trinhatrinha Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I've had the 2001 Camry LE since a month ago. I found a conflicting info about the way the A/C works in the Owner's Manual and what the car actually does.
    When I turn the air flow selector to defogging position, with the fan in non-off position, the A/C comes on automatically even though the A/C button is OFF and no green light on the button. There's no way that I can turn the A/C off, because the A/C button is already OFF.
    According to the manual, I should be able to turn on or off the A/C in this particular selection.
    Any one has the same problem?
    May be the owner manual is out of date?
    I'd appreciate any feedback.
    The whole point is for the AC to pull moisture out of the air in the defog situation...you set the temp you want and let it do what it's supposed to do...why do you want to turn the compressor off under this circumstance?
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I don't own a Camry, but I suspect all you have to do to turn off the A/C is turn the temp knob up.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    wifey and I went to test drive a SE/V6 with Nav. We found the power more than enough, handling is excellent, the radio is very good and the interior finish is very good. For those who are interested in the car, you should check with www.cardirect.com. I priced out a fully loaded SE/V6 this morning and they are selling the car about $1350 above invoice regardless of the option level (msrp $30564, invoice $27182, price $28532). Give it try and see how much are they selling their car in your area.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    The 02 Camry is now on line at Toyota site

Exterior, interior, colors, specs and most of the things we want to know

The MSRP are just guides as most of us are aware. The actual price we pay for any vehicle also depends a lot on how good we do our homework. Sales people may not be the best resource in finding what a car will offer and what the price is.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Fiery's right, there are some good discounts already in SoCal. I don't know what you'd gain by going to Infiniti.
    "there are some good discounts already in SoCal"
    How much is "good" in SoCal ?
    Here in Texas, $1,000 off MSRP, but it is still around $1,500 over invoice.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Pricing for the 2002 Altima has been announced today. It seriously undercuts the top trim levels of the '02 Toyota Camry....

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0827/nissan829.htm

• azstanazstan Member Posts: 74
    Sure are no deals around here. In Phoenix one dealer is ADDING $2500 to MSRP. Two dealers here are somewhat less than pleasant to do business with. My first time considering buying a car in AZ...so maybe would be worth the trip to CA to buy a Camry there. I know 2 people who have gone to CA to buy Avalons. Also, wife is on my neck to take her to Sea World again. Please keep me posted on CA prices.
    Thanks.
    A fully loaded Altima SE is $29,000, and that doesn't include NAV. Also, the materials aren't as good as in the Camry. The Altima may steal a few sales on the low end, but not on the high end.
    Altima SE base price - $23,149, dest - $540, ABS - $749, Leather & wood package ($1549, BOSE stereo - $899, Sunroof - $849, Spoiler - $399, mats - $79, HID lights - $499, traction control - $299, microfilter - $49.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Where are you getting those Altima prices from???
    From the window sticker of one I looked at yesterday. Germain Nissan in Columbus, OH.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    About the best I've seen is $900 over invoice on a six, and $500 over on a four.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Full loaded Altima at $29000. Go buy an I30L, it only cost $27K-$28K.
  • ravvie4meravvie4me Member Posts: 110
    Should calm down in less than a couple of months when all of the 2001s are gone off the lots and the dealer has ample supply of 2002 Camrys. Then after that Toyota will go through their usual sales month after month.
    If you can wait, there should be no need for "state jumping" to find a better deal on the Camry, including the upper level models.

-RAVvie4me
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    Heck a Altima for 29K i'd rather get the Maxima over that little car.
  • wheels4mewheels4me Member Posts: 36
    just got back from toyota. offered a 2001 le
    for 18900. would you consider this a fair price
    at this time of year? Thanks for your help.
  • techwritetechwrite Member Posts: 1
    As a new, first time Camry owner,I was wondering if anyone could provide a little insight into a problem I may or may not be having. The 2001 LE/V6 seems to be a wonderful car with a smooth and incredibly responsive engine, but the "smart" transmission is giving me a little trouble. Is it normal for the transmission to constantly adjust itself even when cruising at speeds in excess of 60 mph? This doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I'm concerned. The service dept. at my dealership maintains that this is the way the car drives, but I don't altogether trust them. Has anyone else noticed this? The RPM gauge will flutter, and you can feel the car subtly gear down, even when you are well past fourth gear. Overdrive is on and cruise control is not, so neither of these features can be responsible. A friend of mine suggested that perhaps the coolant was low and the compressor was cycling too high. Once again, the dealership says there is no problem. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced a similar situation, and if, in fact, this is the normal performance of the Camry. Thanks tw
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    This is really random, but the new Toyota Camry commerical sucks. It just shows a picture of the car and says Toyota. If I didn't know it was a Camry I would have no clue what car it is. Thats bad advertising on Toyotas part.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Look guys and girls, enough of this non-sense! If you are buying this car, go and do it! Go find a dealership that is willing to negotiate on the car! We been selling these puppies left and right for the last two weeks! I sold an XLE V6 MSRP @29,645.00 for $27,500.00 plus ttl! Sold an LE with GI,AB,Z2 MSRP $22,046.00 for $20,261.00 plus ttl! So what is the big deal! If you are ready to buy, you will get a deal on the new Camry! If you are just kicking tires and not ready to make a committment no self-respecting salesman or woman is going to give you a price to go fishing! I love the new Camry, and it's a great car! However, I still have to put food on the table so I will do everything within my power to move the car! We don't make money by keeping them on the lot! Even stores with added dealer markup will deal with you if you are READY TO BUY! Just be upfront with them and tell them you will NOT pay adm and will buy if the price is right! This is not rocket science. And as far as the new Altima is concerned, I'm sure it's a fine car but we are not running scared at Toyota.

: )

Mackabee
  • c0kec0ke Member Posts: 44
    the Fair Market Value in Edmunds pricing guide? The 2001 pricing numbers are still in place as far as I know. You can plug in the options for your particular LE and also get a handle on the dealer incentives or customer cash back allowances. Perhaps you've already done that and it would be interesting to know if it worked for you in your bid.

I guess the dealer may even have better allowances available than are in Edmunds pricing information. Could be according to how important it is for him to clear inventory and collect his holdback.

Good Luck ...you should be able to get a good price on the '01 LE with the year end clearance promotions.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Many posts suggest that the 02 Camry is a better deal than the Avalon, but I don't think so. The cars are targeted toward different demographics. A Camry is a mid-size car marketed to a working class family of four, while the Avalon is a big genuine luxury sedan marketed to an "older" buyer who has driven his/her share of domestic sedans over the years. In years past, an Avalon buyer would have naturally migrated to a Buick LaSabre or a Crown Victoria.

A Camry buyer is very practical, and in the 1980's probably drove a Honda Accord. Such a buyer will drive a Camry for a long time until she "graduates" to an Avalon. So it will be the rare buyer who will look at the Avalon and the Camry interchangeably.

Take heart Avalon owners, your car will not loose its cache and value because of the new Camry. You will still be at the top of the food chain no matter how hard a Camry owner tries to disparage you.

In the world of automobiles there is room for both the Avalon and the Camry to coexist. So let the Camry go do battle with the Accord and the Taurus, it is no match for the Avalon.
    The point is, those are interesting marketing distinctions, but in the real world, people don't always cooperate and behave the way the marketers want them to. With a new, larger interior and exterior, more features, etc., the observation that the new Camry may cannibalize some Avalon sales is probably a correct one. Who is or is not the target of the car from the marketer's point of view won't impress anyone who actually tries both cars from a strictly objective standpoint. The danger is less when it comes to cross-shopping with Lexus - there, the dealer experience and warranty offer some distinctions beyond the product itself, and there is enough price difference to assure the customer behaves the way the marketers intend. But I think the Avalon will be a harder sell for awhile, until it too migrates to the new platform and has something going for it besides an inch of so of extra width.
    I owned a 93 Camry, then I got a 96 Avalon. I loved both. Now I am shopping the third car - 2002 Camry. The latest generation of Avalon (styling and price) just put me off.
  • sky33sky33 Member Posts: 26
    I couldn't agree with you more Jrct9454. I like the avalon but I think I would rather have Nav and other updates on the Camry instead of the extra rear seat legroom in the avalon. Until they add some features and with better styling e.g. Mazda Millenia) the 2002 camry will get a close look from a number of potential avalon buyers.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    since the Camry is now a 30k car, I guess that makes the Diamante and Millenia as well as the Maxima look like good alternatives!!!!that might be much cheaper.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Whether you know it or not.....prices of goods are always going up. Look at car prices from 20 years ago compared today. Today's car equivalents of the 1980s models have all increased in price. That's just the way the economy works. So in 20 years it wouldn't be too surprising to see the Camry as a loaded $40,000 car. Corolla could hit $25,000. Your horrible Hyundais will go up too, although they will still be cheap in that future time. Just some insight as to everyone's negative Camry pricing comments.
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Member Posts: 45
    BWIA is correct in saying that the Avalon is a more luxurious vehicle. From what I remember seeing in the Camry 02 interior, the center console cupholder holes and coin tray are in plain view. There is nothing to cover these ugly little things. No "luxury" vehicle would have this. As for the NAV system, Toyota can always find a way to add it into the Avalon redesign coming up soon.
  • wheels4mewheels4me Member Posts: 36
    Can someone please tell me what the break in period
    of a new car is. I can't remember if it is 300
    or 1000 miles. Thanks
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Does anyone know what the "special deals" consist of on the '01s? I'm not sure, but I think they were already going close to invoice, and I'm wondering if they have any consumer or dealer cash back or rebates.
  • asdxereasdxere Member Posts: 29
    The owner's manual usually has the exact break-in period for your particular vehicle. Generally, during the first 1000 miles you want to vary the speeds you drive (don't take it on a vacation and set the cruise at 65 right away) and avoid jack-rabbit starts. Most modern cars don't require the rigid break-in routine that the used to.
    Enjoy the new car !
  • car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    Do the left & rt side mirrors fold in on the '02 Camry? Thanks.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    No, they don't fold. It's not like were talking about Hondas and WVs here.
  • car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    What does that mean, "It's not like we're talking about Honda's and VW's here?" Are they better cars? A recent model Accord sedan eliminated the fold in mirrors, the complaints were so numerous, that the fold-ins returned the next year. In certain parts of the country streets are so narrow that you wouldn't park without folding in at least one side. By the way, I've noticed older model Camry's had fold ins.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Some of you guys saying the Altima will not be able to steal sales on the high end are talking crazy. There are plenty of guys (and girls) in America that want the 240 bhp, 6.28 second, Boxster rivalling 1/4 mile time car, along with the reliablity and refinement expected. The Camry simply can't deliver on that front.

I feel that the higher line models are catering to different audiences. If someone wants a cushy, refined, well built, reliable car get the 30k+ Camry. If you want performance, handling, reliability and refinement take the 30k Altima. I'm sure the Altima will get it's share of buyers. Although I'd prefer a 2002 Maxima SE 6 speed w/ LSD hehe
  • carfan9carfan9 Member Posts: 1
    Fellow carfans,
    I stopped by a local Toyota dealership to check-out the new 02 Camry. I now own a 2000 Lexus GS 300 and thought that the interior materials and quality of the Camry with Leather resembles that of the Lexus line. The ineterior was very appealing, even the cloth interior. The exterior looked a bit cheap, especially the sides and the rear end- a bit like the Avalon. The new Altima is reversed- nice exterior and cheap interior. Auto makers have to compromise somewhere in order to keep prices within reasonable figures.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Maybe in VA Beach, VA the camry's are rollong oof of the lot

Not in RIC.
  • p51_mustangp51_mustang Member Posts: 7
    You've probably seen the new 2002 Camry by now, but just in case you haven't, check out http://www.geocities.com/o2_camry_photos
  • p51_mustangp51_mustang Member Posts: 7
    So today I decided I'd like to go test drive a new 2002 Camry. I go into the showroom to look at a red one, and check out the interior. This salesman comes out of nowhere and starts with all the usual lines. Well, I tell him I'm interested in the 2002 Camry, so he brings me over. I say I want an LE 4 cylinder with alloy wheels, and I'd like to test-drive it. He takes my licence, and I sit around for about 10 minutes. When he gets back, he shows me the car sitting outside. One of those greenish ones. The sticker says $25,000. So I get in and try it out. It wasn't bad, considering it had about 157 horse power. I ask him how much for the V-6, and he's not sure. We get back, and he starts telling me that, "...we've sold over 25 cars in the past two weeks, and none of them were sold cheaper than this (25,000). This is the most basic car available, with the JBL audio system (which he said was standard this year) etc. This is as cheap as they get." Well, I tell him that's way over sticker, which should only be around 22,000. So then, he walks to the back of the car, and gives a hard-to-believe, "Oh, this is a V-6!! Wait a minute now, I think we have a 4 cylinder around here..." What!! Yeah, you heard right. That thing was a V-6. Those lying...well. I tell him that it was horribly slow for a V-6, and I say my '98 Accord V-6 was much faster, and my '93 Camry was just about as fast as this V-6. Then he starts with the, "Well, I can't swap wheels on the cars. You have the buy them as they are. We can't put leather on the seats because the packages aren't available yet." This is BS because I saw a car in the back that they're re-upolstering with leather. I tell the guy that it's a possibility, but I've got other cars to consider. Hey, if one of you guys is a salesman, don't be like this guy.