Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• kmddkmdd Member Posts: 2
    I AM GOING TO BUY A NEW 2002-4 CYLINDER LE CAMRY.IF SOMEONE JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT ON,PLEASE TELL ME HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY? I LIVE IN LOS ANGELES AREA?.WHICH DEALER DID YOU BUY IT FROM? THANK YOU.
  • parumpparump Member Posts: 65
    I received a very competitive offer from Diane Whitmire at Carson Toyota, internet sales. I thought that Longo would be more competitive because of their large size. I suspect that you can successfully negotiate a comparable price at other Toyota dealerships if you spend the time to visit them in person.

People from Northern California are willing to drive to Southern California to purchase cars. This is probably due to the Northern California Toyota Dealer Advertising fee that adds $300 + to the Northern California invoice price. I recommend soliciting offers from the dealership website links.

Marketing timing is advantageous for you. May your negotiating endeavors be successful!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Hey! Well, we looked at the Altima and Accord (and briefly the Galant), and decided we still wanted the Camry, despite its not getting a Ten Best nod. We are just familiar with Toyota products and have confidence in the brand. The 02 Camry is a HUGE improvement on the 2000 LE that we are still currently leasing (and I am now driving... mom and dad have the new one).
    We got the LE in Stratosphere Mica (awesome color!) with Package 1, Alloy Wheels, ABS, Carpeted Floormats and Trunkmat, and MVID for 500 over invoice, and we are very pleased with that.
    Quick comparisons to the 2000 LE (equipped similarly except no alloys).

Much larger,airy-er feeling interior. The instrument cluster is much classier with its white/blue lighting and orange pointers (as opposed to the swamp green endemic to Camrys and Corollas since around '87), the climate control and radio are just as accesible and logical, the trunk is larger, the maplights up front are a welcome addition, as are map pockets and integrated cupholders in the back. But the biggest difference... the new VVTi 2.4 is awesome. Excellent power for a 4 cylinder.... doenst have to rev nearly as hard as the old 2.2 to reach speed, which is especially noticeable on the highway when passing: where the 2.2 would have kicked down and topped 5 grand (RPM), the kickdown results in a muted and unstrained surge (just past about 4 grand) with the 2.4. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. Further, it felt peppier than the Accord EX I drove and not really different from the seat of the pants when compared to the Altima 2.5....but certainly, we did not drive either of those cars for the amount of time (3 days) that we now have the Camry. My parents are proud, this is the first car they have purchased since a piece of s**t 84 Buick Century that had them swear they'd never buy from GM EVER AGAIN.
    ~alpha
  • wree7777wree7777 Member Posts: 26
    Do any of you have the gold emblems -- that is, the upgrade parts from Toyota, *not* just a coating put on the existing emblems? Any comments about them? I got them for Christmas and was reading the DO NOT list that came with it -- like DO NOT take to a car wash with brushes, which I don't do anyway, at least not yet. I've been handwashing it. But anyway, has the finish lasted for you and are you happy with them? Just wanted to double check before putting them on my car. Thanks.. (P.S. If it matters, I have the Camry Solara with diamond white pearl paint.)
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    rear disc brakes improve brake pedal feel. Drum rears have that spongy feel.
  • parumpparump Member Posts: 65
    We purchased the navigation system and highly recommend it. Initially, I considered this to be a frivolous, high tech extra that would be rarely used. However, the navigation system is really a major safety feature. Several weeks ago, we were driving in rural, Northern California during a rainy, stormy night. The two lane highways were poorly illuminated, and the signs were barely visible. The navigation system was immensely helpful by providing verbal instructions such as proceed to the right at the next highway division in 200 yards. Whereas in the past I would have difficulty focusing on traffic, reading signs, and following directions, the automated system enabled me to concentrate exclusively on safe driving. I highly recommend this integrated system.
  • chipperrrrrchipperrrrr Member Posts: 29
    I have the 2nd from current iteration of the Toyota camry. it is an Le with the 4cylinder engine. It has been an excellent car so far. Has 75K on it and I have replaced all four times once, just replaced front brake pads. I had the timing belt changed under warranty because of a stalling problem. Other than the above no complaints except one. When the car is placed in drive or reverse and the foot is placed on the brake or at very slow idle, the car seems to vibrate much more than it should. the engine vibrates terrible when parked at a stop light with the foot on the brake. Also when backing the car into garage, the sound vibrates terribly throughout my house.(integral garage). I have had three different opinions. One mechanic says its probably a worn front motor mount. One says it could be the transmission or motor mounts. One mechanic says that the engine fuel system is probably coked up and needs cleaned. I am reluctant to put good money into any fix without a guarantee that the problem will be taken care of. However, you all know the chances of that. Have any of you "96 or before" owners had a similar experience. If so, did you find the fix and what was it? I would appreciate any input. Thanks.
  • mujhcmujhc Member Posts: 8
    Just a friendly advice. Before you buy either Accord or Camry, at least make sure you check out Hyundai Sonata and XG350L. No matter which car you buy, you'll thank me later. If you want to spend less than 20k, nothing beats Sonata LX. No matter how much a dealer charges you for fully equipped Sonata LX, you wouldn't pay more than 19200. Now go out and compare what you can get with that money for Accord and Camry. Sonata not only caught up with performance and reliability but also fit'n finish handily beats both in terms of consistency(be aware you can find lots of badly assembled Accord or Camry) If you want to spend about 23-25K for top of the line Accord or less optioned Camry, make sure you check out XG350L. Right now I have 3cars, 2 of which are recently purchased Accord EXV6 coupe and Sonata LX(both '02 model) and the other one being my beloved 94 Subaru SVX(great car). As much as I like Accord coupe, majorly based on the look, I kind of regret now. I think I should have bought either Solara coupe SLE or XG350L. With fully optioned Solara SLE coupe it's a better value than Accord since it has heated seats& auto dimming mirror(which are not even available on Accord) and longer warranty. And XG350L handily beats both Accord coupe and solara coupe in fit and finish(although it's not 2 door) and more comfortable and luxurious, beats Solara in performance and par with accord coupe. The more I drive Sonata, the more I like. Honda is in big trouble unless they straighten up their act. Get rid of all those fuzzy dealer insatalled options which give dealers too much of a fat profit. Please drop me a note after you purchase your car. I'm eager to know your honest opinion. If you tell me "I liked Sonata, but I couldn't possibly buy it because of resale value," I can't blame you yet. But if you worry about reliability, don't, because it IS reliable.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    This is a Camry board, not a "Let Me Sell you a Korean Car" board.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I vote for the motor mount as the culprit. The symptoms you describe are pretty classic for a failed motor mount. Accords from the early '90s were famous for this problem at high mileages...it can happen to Toyotas, too...
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Our Camry had 3 motor mounts break, 1 the first time that we fixed, and 2 the second time that we didn't. Combined with the engine sludge problem, the Toyota mechanic pulled me aside and said to dump that baby asap! We did within 2 weeks. Good luck with your problem.
    On that page, I counted one Camry recall, and two ES 300 hundred recalls. Was there another Camry recall that I missed?
    ~alpha
  • luckystarluckystar Member Posts: 20
    I have a friend who drives a 1996 Camry LE and is experiencing the same problem as you. We have no clue what is going on, but when she is stopped at a red light, she shifts into neutral and the vibration is greatly reduced, so that might help to diagnose the problem. I drive a 2002 LE V6 and don't have that problem.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    It seems to me the 3rd gen (92-96) 4cyl camry had a known problem with vibrating while stopped with foot on brake. If I remember correctly, there was NO fix for this. Had something to do with the design of the steering column/firewall/etc. and as the car aged it developed. The 4th gen and newer 4cyl's were designed differently to fix this problem. This was several years ago that this problem was very common on the repair boards, but maybe toyota has found a solution as I haven't seen it for awhile. Have a dealer check for TSB's on it. Doubtful you'll get them to fix it under warranty at this point, but at least you'll know what it takes to correct, if anything. The other ideas the mechanics had are in the right direction, but not if it's a design flaw and your symptoms are consistant with what I've seen in the past.
    thanks for the replies regarding the vibration problem. Luckystar, you are 100% right on. My vibration completely disappears with the engine running and shifting into neutral or park. It quitely runs like a dream in both of those positions. Sandman, could you please comment on the sludge problem. I haven*t heard of that yet. Is this something that I will be seeing within a short period of time also? What prompted the mechanic to pull you aside and tell you to dump the car asap? Also, thanks for the ideas sebring.
    As for the ordering of tires from some of the earlier posts, I wanted to add my two cents. I have ordered from Tire Rack two times and had excellent service. Number one, state sales tax was bypassed. Number two, the tires were at my door within two days UPS. I took the tires to Wallmart and had them mounted and bought the Road hazard warranty. Wallmart will rotate them free, every day if you wish under the road hazard warranty. If I can remember, it cost me around $10 per tire. I saved over 80 dollars on the 4 tires that I purchased by this method. I really wanted to support our local businesses when I bought the tires, however, they kept giving me the run-around that the tires would be ordered and be in. However, after 3 trips they never did arrive. So a dissatissfied customer finds a better deal on the net.
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    I totally agree. Recently I have a friend staying in a hotel in San Francisco. In the middle of the night, he called me that he felt ill. I rushed over to bring him to a hospital. Even I have lived in the Bay Area for over 30 years, I had no idea where the nearby hospital was. Luckily with my NAG equipped Lexus, it led me to the emergency room only a few minutes away.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    There has been one recall of the new Camry and two recalls of the new ES300. Go to:

http://www.safetyalerts.com/currentrecalls.htm

Thanks alpha01

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    There was a problem with oil sludge in the '95 and '96 Camry 4 cylinders if I recall. There was even a forum here at Edmunds on it. Check back in all the major topics to see if it's still there.
    While being told about all the problems with the car by the service writer, $2200.00 worth, the mechanic pulled me over to look at the engine and pointed out all the thick sludge around the top and down into where you pour the fresh oil. He said I shouldn't fix a thing on that car and get rid of it asap. Maybe I shouldn't have trusted him but I did and proceeded to trade in the car about 2 weeks later. Too bad because I really liked that Camry!
    Infoseek, I found a posting that you had done in october regarding your vibration problem with your 96 camry. I also noticed that changing the motor mounts made no difference. If you are still out there posting please advise what has happened with the vibration problem lately. The scenario you posted matches mine to a T. Thanks
  • aparnet2aparnet2 Member Posts: 13
    saw a 2001 demo camry LE with 4.5K miles. (Technically not a new one!!) It has side airbag and VQ. The dealer's sticker (dealer installed option) shows another $300 of remote security system, and $1169 of toyo guard. the dealer was Offering $19500 + $400 (dealer fee)+ tax. They are tough to negotiate and insisting it goes with 0% APR

I checked kbb, it says security system not available with VQ. I was not shown how the security system works so I am not sure whether it has security system or not. and I know nothing about this toyo guard on 2001. Could someone give me a hint how security system works? And tell me if it's a rip-off offer?

A big thank,
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Don't waste your time with those clowns, you can get a 2002 Camry with the GI package: power driver seat/keyless entry remote/Jbl cd/cass system for around $20-20.5k look around. Specially with Toyotathon 2002 going on right now.

: )

Mackabee

Sounds like you are in the Southeast Toyota distributorship. Toyoguard is their fancy name for paint sealant.
    saw a 2001 demo camry LE with 4.5K miles. (Technically not a new one!!) It has side airbag and VQ. The dealer's sticker (dealer installed option) shows another $300 of remote security system, and $1169 of toyo guard. the dealer was Offering $19500 + $400 (dealer fee)+ tax. They are tough to negotiate and insisting it goes with 0% APR

I checked kbb, it says security system not available with VQ. I was not shown how the security system works so I am not sure whether it has security system or not. and I know nothing about this toyo guard on 2001. Could someone give me a hint how security system works? And tell me if it's a rip-off offer?

A big thank,
    Yes, I am in the Southeast Toyota distributorship. (Florida)

May I know what advantages does Toyotathon 2002 bring to the purchase of a new Camry? Camry LE with GI package? does it have ABS, side airbag? Thanks for your nice suggestion.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Aparnet2: Buy a 2002 camry with Abs.It's difficult to find an 02 Camry with side air bags.You will get 3yr/36000miles bumper to bumper warranty. With the 01 Camry you have already lost one year's worth of bumper to bumper warranty.More important the price difference is not that great.Listen to mackabee.He knows Toyotas, he's connected to them.
  • rams160rams160 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have any ideas when Toyota will start shipping 4 cylinder 2002 Camrys (LE or XLE) with the side curtain airbag option. This is all that I am waiting for but need to buy the car soon. I am tempted to just go ahead and buy a Passat or Accord if I have to wait too much longer. Thanks!
  • sagarwalsagarwal Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a 2002 4 cyl XLE with option 8, side curtain airbags, and heated seats. So 4 cyl XLE's with side curtain airbags already exist but you may have to try to locate one since not too many of them as most loaded ones are V6's. Incidentally I paid $600 over invoice here in TN. Great car and more than adequate power. I have no regrets about not getting a V6 and saved over $2K by getting the 4 cyl. Good luck.
  • guinvereguinvere Member Posts: 8
    Is it possible to order a Camry station wagon from Australia? Toyota sells THREE DIFFERENT MODELS of Camry wagon there!! I DETEST SUVs and don't want a Highlander - I want a Camry wagon. Does anyone know if it's possible to get one from Australia to Massachusetts? Any help would be appreciated! guinvere@hotmail.com
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Here in CAT we have the 4cyl Xle's with cloth interior and the side/curtain airbags. They are selling quick though, MSRP is around 23k (low 23k)

: )

Mackabee
  • sam_beaversam_beaver Member Posts: 61
    I'm seriously considering buying a 2002 XLE, but I have a concern about the factory-supplied security system: mainly, I cannot stand automobile false alarms and want no chance of our car participating in this abomination.

Under what circumstances will the horn go off? Is there any (reasonable) possibility of a false alarm with this system -- that is, of the horn sounding from vibration or someone leaning on the car or doing anything other than actually trying to steal it?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The factory alarm is very difficult to accidently set off. The only way possible is to either leave the window open or leave a person in it with the door locked. Even in those cases, it will not go off unless somebody reaches in the window to unlock the car (or in the case of a person inside, if they went to let themselves out). The system automatically disarms when you use the key or the remote to unlock the door.
  • geneseedepotgeneseedepot Member Posts: 30
    Normally I couldn't care less if someone mistakenly mis-spells a word - noone is a perfect typist. BUT...the number of people on the internet who use QUITE when they should have used QUIET is mind-boggling! Are there parts of the world where QUITE is taught as the proper word?? Someone, please educate me!

QUIET not QUITE!
    QUIET not QUITE!
    QUIET not QUITE!
  • numbercrunchernumbercruncher Member Posts: 13
    Regarding the Avalon, Consumer Reports says:

"Its stability-control system, called VSC, greatly improves the car's ability to cope with emergency situations."

Does anyone know whether such a strong statement also applies to the Camry's VSC?
  • bapjbapj Member Posts: 3
    Have a 1998 Camry LE.Sometimes the ignition key will not turn.This has nothing to do with the steering wheel locking.The wheel will move, but the key will not turn.The dealer doesn't seem to have the solution.We have tried three different keys at these times.Tapping really hard on the end of the key while it is in the ignition will usually solve the problem.Also sometimes the key won't unlock the trunk. Anyone else had this problem?
  • ktc2000ktc2000 Member Posts: 1
    I just began searching for a new '02 LE to replace my '97 LE and wanted to know how much dealers are willing to deal on this particular vehicle. There currently aren't any Mfg. incentives on this vehicle such as special financing or rebates. I'm located in the NY metro area. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • benmoorebenmoore Member Posts: 1
    Are there financial considerations of the "Toyotathon" beyond the 0% interest on select models? A salesman at a dealer today said that there was a $750-$1000 dealer incentive on Camry's through 01/07/02. He was offering 2002 Camry SEs at $3000 under MSRP. Certainly this is a good price if there ISN'T an incentive but leaves too much money on the table if there IS an incentive.

Help! Quickly please.
    I don't know if this answers your question very well, but we were able to get our 2002 LE 4cylinder with GI, CF, AB, FE and dealer installed (Beveled 5 spoke) Alloy Wheels and MVID for 500 over invoice, which reflected decent (in our opinion) haggling and no incentives. We are in Central Jersey.
    ~alpha
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Probably a bad interlock between the transmission and key switch. If the switch thinks the trans is in anything but Park, it doesn't let you remove the key. Have the service dept focus on this aspect of the problem...the sensor in the transmission interlock probably needs to be replaced or reseated.
  • thavalaithavalai Member Posts: 2
    They drive on the left side of the road in Australia. Are you sure you can handle Massachusetts traffic with a right-hand drive? Wonder if it's even legal to drive one in the US.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    It's legal here in Pennsylvania
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    In PA you just drive the RHD on the left side of the road....Sorry couldn't help myself....
  • brianb22brianb22 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 2002 Camry SE V6 with ABS. When the ABS initializes there is a loud thump/scrape. I have been told this is normal but I don't remember hearing when I first got the car. Has anyone else experienced this?
    The Camry VSC is the same as the Avalon VSC. Very cool systems.
  • tom197tom197 Member Posts: 9
    I have been considering purchasing a Camry SE-V6 or Es300 for my wife. There seems to be a $4000-5000 spread between the two. I know that the Lexus has a better warranty. Is the price difference worth it between the two cars? The ES300 seems to be more substantial when you sit in it and it has the five speed automatic versus the four speed in the Camry SE. I was quoted $800.00 over invoice for the Camry in Irvine, CA. Anyone hear of any better deals. also I was told that used cars are up to $2000.00 less trade in value than Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book dealer trade in prices. Can anyone confirm? Thanks for any input.
  • luckystarluckystar Member Posts: 20
    That is what I have experienced trying to stop quickly on ice. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    I am in the market for a '02 Camry SE. I noticed that some options are listed as "Port" or "Regional". The dealer I talked to didn't have a clue. For instance, when you configure a Camry on the Car's Direct site, some options (i.e. mudgards) are listed in both categories. This is my first Toyota, so this type of option configuration is new to me. Thanks in advance for any info.
    These are items that are not done on the assembly line. Antilock brakes are factory options. Floor mats are not. Mudguards can be done either time.

It is very easy for a dealer to alter post production options (PPO) but not easy to alter factory options. PPOs can actually be done at the factory after they have run down the assembly line. They can also be done by the regional Toyota distributors at the port.

I hope this helps.
  • bapjbapj Member Posts: 3
    Thanks jrct9454, but my problem is not getting the key out. It's getting it to turn so I can start the car. It simply won't move. Nothing to do with the steering wheel lock. I can turn the wheel, but not the key. Any other ideas?