Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• pauleulpauleul Member Posts: 116
    Yes the 92 Camry came with a factory installed CD player. It was a Premium 3 in 1 ETR/CASS/CD w/6 speakers, equalizer and power antenna. Sticker price was $990. I just sold my 92 with only 32,000 miles on it for $9750. The buyer got a good deal. Car was still in mint condition and no I never had any problems at all including with the CD player.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    32000 miles on a 92?? didn't you go anyplace?? or did you use another car mostly? and yes, i did not know cars came with CD's back in 92-- gee, ain't it funny how time slips away
  • pauleulpauleul Member Posts: 116
    The 92 Camry went like this. Buy Camry.. Wife gets pregnant.. Becomes stay at home mom.. Shopping center less than 5 miles away.. need I say more? Yes we have had 3 Explorers during that time that were our main transportation and now have an Acura 3.2 TL. Still waiting to see what the new Camry is going to look like. Haven't been impressed with the last few years.
    my main curiosity of the 2002 camry is the price...will prices go up like the acura CL coupe did when it was redesigned, or will prices pretty much stay the same as the camry did when it changed in 1997???...one would think prices would stay the same since this is a family sedan designed for the masses, as opposed to a specialty type car, eh? so if the 2002 camry comes out with prices similar to the 97-01's (taking into account inflation), then that would be interesting.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I thought the redesigned Camry was scheduled for 2003? Anyone know for sure?

I'm not impressed with the 97-current either so hopefully they will go back to a bit higher quality.

Dear Toyota: Please ditch the hood prop rod, offer heated mirrors/seats, take the V6 to 220hp, big center armrest like the one available in 92, better trunk lid design (see the VW Passat), how about auto/dual zone climate control, doors that don't creak when you open/close them, doors that stay open if car is parked on slight hill, and maybe stretch the vehicle 2 inches in every direction. Thank you, 3 time Camry owner (hopefully 4?).

I know most of the stuff is picky, but darnit if I could get all that in a Camry I wouldn't be out driving Passats & Maximas. Keep the base price where it is, but what's it hurt to have all the options the competition has?
    I thought the redesigned Camry was scheduled for 2003? Anyone know for sure?

I'm not impressed with the 97-current either so hopefully they will go back to a bit higher quality.

Dear Toyota: Please ditch the hood prop rod, offer heated mirrors/seats, take the V6 to 220hp, big center armrest like the one available in 92, better trunk lid design (see the VW Passat), how about auto/dual zone climate control, doors that don't creeeeek when you open/close them, doors that stay open if car is parked on slight hill, and maybe stretch the vehicle 2 inches in every direction. Thank you, 3 time Camry owner (hopefully 4?).

I know most of the stuff is picky, but darnit if I could get all that in a Camry I wouldn't be out driving Passats & Maximas. Keep the base price where it is, but what's it hurt to have all the options the competition has?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    While I don't have any pictures nor have I seen any, I do know that the 2002 will be a complete redesign. It will have the VVT-i engine in both the 4 and 6 cylinder models and will be out in August.

Oh, and they did away with the hood prop last year.
  • rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    I also prefer 92-96 Camry over 97-01 models. For some reason, I can't get over rear end style. the tail lights are too narrow. the front end is getting to look more and more like ES300, why don't they do something about rear end? I guess and hope they will do something with '02MY.

As far as your price goes, on 12/5/00, I bought a '96 XLE V-6 auto with leather/sunroof/alloys/CD/power seats. the car has 43K miles, and I paid $12,300. I bought it straight from a private owner.

The leather seats squeak too much, and nothing stay on them. the objects slide a lot. I wish it had cloth seats. I learnt my lesson. Leather seats are good to look at and not on your own car. I can't stand the first sign of cracking leather.

I love the engine sound when it is pushed a little. The V-6 feels like it runs better with 89-91 octane gas. the dealer said 87 octane should be used, the owner manual says " 89 octane is preffered"
    The V6 is a high compression engine that prefers the higher octane. I've always run 87 octane in my 97 V6 and can't tell a difference between that and the top shelf stuff. On my 92 V6, it has always run better with higher octane, gets better mpg too. I disagree with the dealer, you should use 89, but probably can get by with the 87. Running 87 retards the engine somewhat.
  • alexalee1alexalee1 Member Posts: 35
    If it turns out like this:

http://mag-x.com/scoop/camry0101/index.html

I am new to this topic. I was wondering what the ES 300 will look like.

kinda looks like a 4 door solara.. especially the rear. am i nuts?

thanks for the website.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Thanks for the link! You won't believe how many time people has requested the info.

If my memory serves me right, then 1 Kw = 1.36 hp. Then that means the 4 cylinder engine is 160 hp, and V6 is 220 hp (Lexus RX300 engine?)

4 cylinder engine power might be reduced a little to meet more stringent U.S emission laws. My guess it will be 155 hp, just like the one on the new Highlander SUV.

The back end does look like the solara. I like it better than the current Camry sedan's rear.

I have a feeling that the agressive frontal look might be toned down for the U.S version. The sports model might not even make it here. I hope it does, let's keep the finger crossed. This is what I have been waiting for.
  • dvd9dvd9 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks alexalee for the pictures of '02 Camry. Its profile is much better than current Camry which is boring. The front end and rear end of '02 Camry look similar to a cougar and an A4 respectively.

I have been looking for a new car for a while. Currently driving a 90 Celica GT, but need a 4 drs sedan now. I look at Passat gts, Accord ex and Camry le. Really like the Passat but it has questionable reliability. Accord is nice but too boring looking so is Camry. So I am waiting for the new Camry before I decide to purchase my next car.

I hope '02 Camry is very close the these pictures or else I buy a Passat. I hope '02 Camry will have foldaway side mirrors. Passat and Accord have them and they are very useful in tight parking spaces.
  • djmunsondjmunson Member Posts: 1
    i have the opportunity to purchase a 97 camry le for $10,000 fully loaded, except leather. is this in the ball park for a 65,000 mile vehicle in excellent mechanical and physical shape?
    We drove the Passat too, and really liked it. The price (up front and long-term service) really concerns me so we are thinking we'll wait and check out the new Camry. The pics are a bit too aggresive for my style, which means it will probably be just right because the spy pics/drawings are usually a bit "artistic".

I talked to a VW dealer that has a 99 Passat GLX V6 with absolutely every option and 32,000 miles in silver and I think I can get it for around $20,000. Still haven't decided for sure to pass on it, but I hope I don't regret it.
  • hayabusahayabusa Member Posts: 26
    the Toyota Mark II Fortuna... Yeah yeah yeah... Toyota comes up with the weirdest names... Actually all Japanese manufacturers... Here's a link to the Toyota Mark II Fortuna's website:

http://toyota.mediagalaxy.ne.jp/customize/MarkII/Fortuna/

This is just a beefed up Toyota Mark II...
  • dvd9dvd9 Member Posts: 22
    I saw a '99 Passat GLS V6 for sale for 21,995 in my local paper in Indiana. It has luxury pkg, sunroof, alloys, cd changer. It also has vw certified 24mo/24k warranty. The '99 Passat GLX that you interested in has 32k miles. This is over std vw warranty right! You should check town hall discussion on vw passat before making your decision.

The front and rear ends of the Passat will be freshen up this spring. Its cup holders will be similar to Camry but w/o lids.

I will wait until '02 Camry come out before making my decision on a new car. I am driving a 90 Celica GT, which has about 164k miles and no problems at all. I also had an 86 Celica GT, which I sold to my sister and she drove it for about 200k miles before she traded it in. Therefore I want to buy a Toyota sedan. But right now all Toyota sedans are boring looking. Avalon is the best of all but it is too expensive and big for me.
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    I looked at your link. While it looked similar, there are several distinct difference between the X-mag picture and the Mark II.

While the front looks similiar, all the parts are different if you compare the features for feature. Lights, grill, bumper, all a different.

Same goes for the side.

The biggest difference is in the back. They look nothing alike.

It's possible that the 2002 Camry drew some inspiration and lines from the Mark II. But in th end, the picture provided by alexalee and MarkII are quite different.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    what's the deal with that commercial with a fat guy driving a camry and a big caption says "chicks dig it?"

why not a big fat woman driving a camry labels "guys dig it?"

=P
    To me they look the same. The "pictures" alexalee1 provided were just sketches. Sketches almost never look like the actual car. Did you take a look at other cars at that site? The Toyota Matrix looks different than what they have on their site. They often retouch and "play" with their sketches or photo's. The link to the Mark II or Mark II Fortuna from Toyota has real pictures, not just sketches. Then again, I could be wrong, and you could be right...
    I hate trying to explain subtle humor but that commercial is a riot to me. There really is nothing sexy about the Camry and Toyota is playing that up. The driver of that car isn't sexy either. The "Chicks dig it" tag line has to do with responsibility, dependability and quality. Those are characteristics of the Camry and presumably the fat guy behind the wheel.
    I can't figure out the difference between a loaded GLS and a GLX, but the prices are different. The GLX I mentioned above lists around $23,500. Either way, I'm concerned about reliability/cost of repairs down the road. The guy on the Passat forum who needed $300 to fix the glove box door kinda scared me.

I've had good luck with Camrys as well, totalling over 300K miles on 3 Camrys without doing much at all in repairs. The Avalon is also on the consideration list, but I think it's overpriced. I also have a lead on a 96 Camry SE totally loaded with only 22,000 miles. Considering I find the 3rd gen much better this might be a sweet car. Saving over $10,000 is an attractive option too!
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    I'll doubt anyone will agree with this, but give me the old hood prop any day. When the gas cylinders went out on my 94 XLE, Toyota wanted $175 to replace them. They went back to the prop on our 97 XLE but went back to the cylinders on our 00 Solara.

The prop may not look good, but I've never heard of anyone ever having to replace one. And if you did, it wouldn't cost $175.

Speaking of "sometimes less is more",I hope the actual production model of the 2002 Carry looks a little better. The pictures I saw remind me of a California low-rider! (No offense to any of you with a California low-rider!!)
  • cmarshallhcmarshallh Member Posts: 1
    Loose the hand brake between the seats on automatics? I sure hope its on the floor (where it should be) with the 2002 model ! Also, those cup holders between the seats are useless. Deep, dark and dirty. I want something I can see and clean. Was it just me, or were the seats in the 97-01 carry way too soft. My 92 had much more firm, substantive seats. I felt like I wouldn't be able to see the road after sinking into those '97 seats. And why did they wait until the 2002 model to put in the VVT-i engine? Was it not ready for "prime-time" or were they waiting for the full new model? Will the 2002 have a 4 or 5 speed automatic with tall final gear for the typical high speed driving we all do now (or for great mileage at normal speeds GAS=$$$!!)? I vote for 5 speed automatic if the torque will be there from the VVT-i engine. I'm ready to per-order one, but I hope TOYOTA's listening.......!
    That link I posted was a computer touched picture of a new Toyota.

No, it's not the Mark II, as the magazine is usually pretty accurate in their prediction.
    (Actually, the spy picture of Mark II was posted in their previous edition of spy scoops).

Actually, I like the style of the drawing better (the Audi like rear lights). Let's hope that it will come out like this. Better yet, I like that style to be the new Lexus ES 300. Camry can stay the boring looking one. :)

WenYue and all that said thanks, you are very welcome!!! I just doing my part to share information here.
    I said I could be wrong, BUT... That magazine was DEAD wrong on the Lexus LS 430. Usually I just laugh at the ridiculous stuff they have there. Toyota is also very good at hiding prototypes. Again, I could be wrong, but that car looks an awfull lot like the Mark II, especially considering it's just a sketch.
    They actually match the description I got from my regional manager. He had told me that the new Camry would have a very radical exterior change. He has seen the actual car and described the headlights exactly as that picture shows. I'm betting this is real.
    Hayabusa, are you sure you didn't confuse this site with the busybeetoys site?

At any rate, we will have to wait to see.

I heard from the other topic that the new ES 300 might be shown this February. So, it won't be long before we know for sure.
    i went to that tuscaloosa website and was unimpressed--- i checked the new car inventory and clicked on two models at random--- each one showed a $600+ charge for fabric protection and a few other items that fall under "toyoguard" -- come on, if this is a dealership that as soon as the car comes off the truck they tack on pin striping and spray some fabric protection onto the seats and then add an additional sticker to the rear window wanting $600, then, i don't care if they're selling for invoice or not, i'm not buying from them, cause their invoice is going to be higher than my invoice. then again, i'm in ohio and the only time i ever get near tuscaloosa is when i play the classic Randy Newman's "Good Ole Boys".

am i nuts in my disavowal of ToyoGuard??
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I know that the Avalon XLS is more money then the Camry XLE, but I think that the Avalon is the best value for the money in the Toyota/ Lexus lineup.
  • hughp1hughp1 Member Posts: 9
    I don't know about you, but I would prefer the looks of the one on the Japanese web site. I wish I could read Japanese but like most Americans I read and speak only English. I think the model on the Japan web site looks more refined and up scale. I am hoping that this is more like what they will actually produce. Any thoughts Dianne or Cliff.
    Be it known to all that Yotee10 is a guy named Harold. Guy. This is the name in his profile. If you go to the web site he suggests, you will discover that the Internet salesman there happens to be a person named Harold. Guy.

I have made no secret of the fact that I am a salesman and you all know where you can contact me. I have never stooped to such unethical methods as this person. I hope the moderators pick up on the fact that he violated the Edmunds house rules against soliciting for sales.
    I see you deleted yotee10's posting here. Thank you for placing value on integrity.
  • yueyue Member Posts: 4
    hello, all--
    I am thinking of buying a 1991 camry LE(101k, all power), the guy asked for $3000. i tried it and it ran very well. but my friend found one problem: when i stopped the car on a slope with "Drive" on, it went back slowly itself. my friend told me that there must be sth wrong with the gear in the transmission. My question is: is that a big problem with the transmission? and if it is, how much does it cost to get it fixed?
    Thank you very much! I appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Bryan
  • john1726john1726 Member Posts: 37
    I thought you werew looking at a corolla?
  • yueyue Member Posts: 4
    no, i am looking at a camry.
    thanks. john
  • nedsternedster Member Posts: 1
    Greetings All.

Being offered a '92 Camry LE. 65,000 miles. ABS & sunroof, great ext. condn. full records etc. for $6,000 US

Test drive was fine if a little sluggish. Driver's window gave a definite 'clunk' as it wound fully down. Car squeaked over speed bumps. Otherwise satisfactory.

Is there anything I should know? I'm new to the country and driving anything other than old, old Mercedes. Edmunds priced the car significantly higher. Should I go forth with a smile on my pasty white face?
    a family member just sold his 92 camry LE basic 4 cylinder with over 100K miles for $6400-- it was in excellent condition-- so i imagine the $6000 isn't bad-- you might want to check if the timing belt needs to be changed-- and knock some dollars off for that...
  • jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    Our Web Host Pat suggested that I post this message here instead of under the general sedans heading in order to get more responses, so here goes.
    I recently bought a new 2001 Camry LE and it is now approaching 800 miles. So far the car is terrific in just about every way except for gas mileage. This 4 cylinder model (with automatic) is rated at 23 city and 32 highway and I chose it mainly because of Camry's reputation for reliability and economy.
    Being very conservation minded, I know how to drive to get the most out of every gallon of gas and expected about 26 MPG. Most of the driving that I do is open road with practically no traffic and have not yet used the air conditioner. Tires are always kept at proper pressure, etc.
    My last calculation indicated 21.8 MPG. I realize that the car is not fully broken in yet, but to me this seems pretty poor.
    Before I complain to the dealer, it would be helpful for me to know what other Camry owners are getting in order to be better prepared.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
  • sinjin_dogsinjin_dog Member Posts: 84
    My 2000 LE(4cyl) has been doing 29 mpg. I got as high as 31 once with two adults and two kids.
    One thing I did not mention last time, I am using Mobil 1(synthetic) engine oil.
  • rmck46rmck46 Member Posts: 8
    My 1998 4 cyl LE gets 24.5 city and 32 highway.We drive it hard and never get below 29 hw.33k no problems Only oil changes every 4K.
  • carguy000carguy000 Member Posts: 55
    I'm trying to find some information for my cousin. She has a 1994 Camry that she bought used with 18,000 miles on it. She loves the car and has never had any problems with it, until now. She is having a slight oil leak problem, and everytime she starts the car if it has not run for a while, some blue/gray smoke comes out the exhaust pipe. I had read somewhere about this happening if the oil is not changed. I asked her about it and she said that she always gets her oil changed at 3,000 miles or 3 months. Could it be that the damage could have occured from the previous owner not getting his/her oil changed? Also, she has been quoted a price of 1,100 to get it repaired. Is that a little high? Thanks, I'd really appreciate your help. I was kindof surprised because I've got a friend that has 190,000 miles on her Corolla and she's never run into a problem like this. Thanks for your help.
  • aljeffriesaljeffries Member Posts: 2
    To 387
    I have had over 50 cars ( many new) One of which is a 92 Camry Le with 60000 miles on it. (bought new) I just had the 60k service, This is the first time I have spent any $ on this car other than regular service.
    I will keep this car forever +a day.
  • roob880roob880 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have a 1998 Camry LE, does anyone know a good web site for after-market accessories?

Thanks!!

M.Rubin
    roob880@hotmail.com
  • taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    I think the new Camry resembles the older Mercedes S-Class. The body, and back lights resemble it quite well.
  • tason67tason67 Member Posts: 36
    I currently have a 1996 Dodge Crapus (aka, Stratus) which has cost me over $1300 in repairs over the last month and I want it gone. My wife has a 1992 Camry 4, which we love. My question is, what years are good for used Camrys? I am looking to spend $10,000 to $13,000. THanks for any help you may give.
    Well, I've owned a 92, 94, and 97. They seem to be assembled better the older they are. I've always had V6's because I like the power/sound of that engine. If I was to spend your money, I'd probably look for a low mileage 95 or 96 V6 with everything. I'm not as crazy about the 97 and newer body style, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't;) My 97 has had more "issues" than either of the other two, nothing major at all, just annoyances. The 92 has 180K miles and I can count the repairs on 3 fingers. A little more maintenance with the V6 and it likes premium fuel so that's something else for you to look at. I just really like the V6, and don't mind paying a bit extra for it. Makes the Camry borderline luxury. I was told by a Camry mechanic that the 92's have historically been less troublesome and mine will back that up. My 94 was trouble-free also, but I only kept it 100K miles. Good luck. My gramps worked for Chryco for 30 years as a regional service rep, and he bought an 00 Avalon last year when he retired.
  • tason67tason67 Member Posts: 36
    I agree with your gramps. I am a Chrysler worker too, and at times like this, I'm almost ashamed to admit it. I actually bought the 92 Camry because I had a Dodge Spirit that was a piece of junk. Thanks for the tips.
  • thetoycarthetoycar Member Posts: 3
    I had been experiencing a puff of black/blue smoke at cold startup in my '89 Camry and decided to switch from Valvoline 10W-30 to the new Valv. Maxlife. This new blend of oil combines mostly regular oil with some synthetic and adds a seal conditioner. It is supposed to be designed for higher mileage engines. All I can say is that two weeks (at most) after I put it in, the smoke at startup was gone. It is still possible that you need a head gasket, but try Valvoline Maxlife at your next oil change. It is about $2.25/qt - much less than synthetic.