Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    is there cash back incentive on camrys? or just low apr ?
    Is this a bad or good price, please help

03 camry LE w/
    pwr seat/floor mats/auto

MSRP Price: $20,809
    Invoice Price : $18,804

Dealer offered @ 18,800
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    the recent postings are great- happy holidays to all.

superman- good price. but why not get the ABS? the system retails at just 300. I think its worth it.

~alpha
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Find one with ABS, although that is a very good price you were quoted.
  • pinoy44pinoy44 Member Posts: 14
    I just bought my 2003 LE auto/4cyl with ABS for $18,595 that also includes undercoating/rustproofing. Came out $20,047 after taxes, title/document fee. This is a Chicagoland price.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    Has anything been done to correct the problem with the V6 transmission "clunk"? Mine seems to get worse when the temperature is colder. I live in NW Indiana. It's not only the clunk sound, but you can feel the jerk in the car when it's shifted into drive. Taking it to the dealer was a waste of time. I called Toyota's 800 number and I'm now waiting for a call from their regional office.
    Seriously, try an independent shop to get an opinion/diagnosis. Then present that to the dealer. If they the dealer refuses to help, raise all the hell that you can. Good luck.
    ~alpha
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    What year is your Camry? V6 OR 4cyl?
    :)
    Mackabee
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    Is it true that Toyota is going to introduce the vvt-i V6 3.0 in Camry coming January next year?

Basically I have read on Car and Driver forums that it will be same engine as the current one in Lexus ES300.

Thanks for the verification
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    ...to post (4881) from alpha01 (I've been away for the holidays): You said, "Actually, I never specifically referred to you." Actually, it wasn't necessary to mention me specifically since your point of departure was the recent post about a "clunk" (from me). Thus, your rant that followed, about people, as you said, who "[non-permissible content removed] and moan" and who should "Just freakin be happy!" was directed at me and others who want to see if there is a solution to the "clunk." You weren't discussing my topic, you were discussing my attitude. That's what I was objecting to.

I appreciate your apology, because I think it was called for. I, too, apologize if I was too strong in my reply. Best wishes for happy holidays!

xxbuster -- I'm going to mention this "clunk" when I take my car in for its first service, in a few months. I'll let you know if I find out anything. So far, I was just asking if anyone else on this thread had any ideas about it. I feel the kind of jerk in the car you are talking about too.
    Two questions (I have a 2003 V-6 XLE):

My owner's manual suggests 91 (or higher) octane gas for "improved vehicle performance," even though it says 87 octane is acceptable. Is there a consensus that 91 or higher is the best way to go? Is it only to get better performance, or will it help the engine last longer?

On oil changes -- between my salesperson, the dealership, the owner's manual, and the maintenance guide, I'm seeing four possiblities for oil-change intervals -- 3,000, 3,500, 5,000, or 7,500, i.e.:

1. A flyer from the dealer has a boldface warning that says, "Performing oil change services every 3,000 miles will eliminate a condition know as 'oil gelling' or 'oil sludge.' These conditions cause severe engine damage and are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty."

2. My salesperson recommended 3,500 miles.

3. The owner's manual says 7,500 miles for what I think are my driving conditions.

4. If I'm wrong about the "repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing" condition, then it would drop back to 5,000 miles, says the maintenance guide.

Anyone have a recommendation? BTW -- I read the lengthy posts last summer about the oil gell situation.

At this point, I'm inclined to buy 91 or higher octane gas and change the oil every 3,000 miles. But if anyone has a rationale for this much cost and frequent service being unnecessary, I would love to hear what you have decided on, and why.

Thanks.
    Our dealership recommends servicing at a 3750 mile interval which is BS, IMO. You should follow your maintenance guide, which provides guidelines that outline when a 5000 mile interval can be used and when a 7500 mile interval can be used. Because I, personally, am rather risk averse, we follow the 5000 mile interval changes for our 2K2 Camry, which is about to break the 20,000 mile mark in just 13 months.

~alpha
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    My Camry is an '02 LE V6 with a build date of July '02. As far as oil changes, I've always changed oil in my cars myself. I'm retired and have the time, especially after watching the kid at the Toyota dealer do an oil change on a customer's car in less than ten minutes. The oil was still draining when he put the plug back in.
    Five quarts of Valvoline and a Toyota filter cost less than $13. And I change oil between 2500 and 3000 miles. I've tried premium gas on a trip and regular on the way back and didn't notice any difference in performance or MPG. Except for the "clunk" in the morning and the outside thermometer taking twenty minutes to give an accurate reading, the car is fine.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    First, any dealership that sends out a flier like austinman received should be shot. In fact, if Toyota got wind of that, they would probably pay a visit to the numbskull that wrote it.

Second, I am conservative when discussing oil changes. I don't believe technology exempts us from 3000 mile oil changes. In fact, I think it is even more necessary than before due to higher compression engines and crummy fuel that we are forced to use. I don't care what the manual says, you will extend engine life by changing every 3000 miles. If you want to follow the manual, follow the 5000 mile interval program even if you don't think you fall into the "severe" driving category.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    A couple of things to add to cliffy's post. First, the writer of that flyer should be shot. The vehicles that were involved with the controversy (lots of arguments about truth or not), have nothing to do with the 2002 and 2003 models.

I, too, am conservative about oil changes. $15 - $20 for an oil change is VERY inexpensive insurance for your car. It will not EVER hurt your vehicle to change the oil more frequently, but CAN adversely affect it if not done frequently enough. Honestly, I have mine done between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. The way that I decide is I look at the oil on my dipstick at 3,000 miles and if it has ANY discoloration or if it is running a bit lower than I like, I have it done then. If it is still clear and near full, then I wait until 5,000 miles.

Using the 7,500 mile interval just doesn't make alot of sense in terms of just the cost versus the risks. Also, part of what the determining facors are are cold, and/or dusty or construction type environments. At least here, it's either Winter or Construction time, so going with anything longer than 5,000 does not make any sense even if you're following the manufacturer's specs.

Just my $.02

Ken
  • 2002camry2002camry Member Posts: 20
    I drove around in my V6 XLE using regular unleaded gas (87 octane) until I noticed a slight pinging noise as I was climbing or accelerating hard. I spoke to the service people at my dealership and they told me to change my gas to premium. I have since been using 89 octane fuel (mid grade) and have noticed the pinging has disappeared. I haven't noticed a MPG change, just a change in the sound of my engine when it needs to work harder. As for oil changes, I drive alot on the freeway and I have been changing the oil around 4000 miles.
  • keenelandkeeneland Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2002 Camry in Sept. It is a 4 cylinder SE, automatic with 16" wheels and it has abs. It has performed terribly the last few days on the snow and ice here in Mich. I was unable to get it up a small hill that a 6yr. old accord handled with ease. Does anyone else have similar problems? Any reccomendations? New tires? The car and tires only have 4500 miles.
    You may want to look at the posts in the "winter and adverse driving" board. The tires on the Camry that come stock are all-season tires. Most "all season" tires are actually 3-season tires meaning they give adequate traction on dry pavement, wet pavement and some snow. The trouble with all-season tires is that they are harder compound and don't have the amount of traction available to snow-specific tires. For the best possible traction for snowy areas, you should use snow-specific tires in the winter and go back to your all-seasons for the other times of year.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    In the Chicago region, for part of the 02 model year, SE's were coming with High-Performance tires that are awful on snow and ice. I'm not sure if the Cincinnati Region had the same situation. You may want to check your window sticker to see which wheel and tire package you have, or stop back at the dealership and talk with them about it.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    SET has cash back AND the special APR on the 2003 Camry LE (model 2532) through January 2nd. Is the rest of the nation doing the same?
    what kind of cash back? what is SET? what states are for cash back/apr?
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Are there many of you that have an '03 Camry V6??

My gripe is that I recently was shopping for a new car. I've always had V6 and just did not want a 4 cylinder. So I went to my local Toyota dealer wanting to test drive a V6 Camry, and all they had were 4 cyl. I did test drive a 4 cyl. but it just did not have "power" and the salesman checked to see when any V6's were to arrive and no one could answer that. Is there something wrong with the V6 Camry's?

Needless to say, you know where I ended my shopping at.
    I think they are waiting for the new v6
  • onlyimportsonlyimports Member Posts: 29
    Wait for the 210 HP V6 6 speed auto with VVti coming in March 2003. This engine is from the current ES300 which will be replaced by 3.3l engine. Insider news.
    Another reason for this is that the GREAT majority of Camry buyers only want/need the 4cyl engine. I don't know the actual numbers, but my guess would be somewhere to the tune of 90% of Camry's that are sold/built are 4cyl models.
  • carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    Mobil 1 synthetic oil can be purchased for about $4.00 at most auto supply stores. 5 Quarts would be $20.00. A toyota filter is about $4.00. If you change your oil using both every 5000 miles you can be sure of a long trouble free engine.
    ...for recent posts on oil changes and octane.

Today I received a packet from Toyota Financial Services with certificates that cover the cost of my first three scheduled maintenances -- oil change, lub, fluid check, etc. This was part of my sales deal -- a nice perq. The cover letter tells me to use a 5,000-mile interval for this service. This is the fifth recommendation on service interval I've gotten from someone connected with Toyota since buying the car (see my post #4898).

So, based on all that and the very welcome advice from alpha01, xbbuster, cliffy1, and toyotaken, it looks like a range from 3,000 to 5,000 is the most popular choice. I respect cliffy1's point of view and agree that money spent on regular maintenance will pay off in the long run. I think I'll take it in for the first service at 3,000 and see what my service manager says. I may wind up edging toward 4,000, but that will probably be tops with me.

I wish I could get 91 octane gas. Pumps in my area are 87, 89, and 93, so I'm going with 93 for now.

I read with interest about the problems with rattles some Camry owners are having, and the news release from Toyota saying their engineers have solved the problem. So far, my car is tight as a drum. That's a three-week perspective -- hope it holds true over the long run.

One of the things I especially like about this car is its sense of roominess, at least relative to today's standards. I'm a middle-aged fellow who drove many cars that were average size in the 1960s and that would be absolute cruise ships by today's standards (a 1965 Pontiac Catalina, for example). Many of today's cars are just too small for me. So the Camry, while still small when compared with cars of my youth, does a nice job of maximizing its dimensions and giving me room to stretch out. Nice job, Toyota.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Congratulations on your new Camry. I have a solution for your octane problem. When you go to fill up, put in half of what you need with 93 octane and the other half use 89. There is nothing wrong with mixing the different types. I used to do that with my motorcycle when they still made leaded gas(low octane). I would use half no-lead premium and half regular leaded. Before I would fill up I would go inside and tell the salesclerk what I was doing. On some pumps you cannot get two different products without paying for the one first. Now, with pumps that take credit cards you can just make two transactions. It might sound like a little work but it is a viable solution.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Having just gone thru my first outing in the snow I just noticed my 2002 LE does not appear to have heated outside mirrors. I guess I took this for granted on my old Merc; the mirrors were defrosted anytime you switched to defrost mode. Is this an available Camry option...perhaps I missed the boat.

Also, I did not get anti-lock brakes mostly because traction control was not available. Was or is this an option?
    My Toyota Dealer couldn't provide what I wanted, not even a clue as to when they would arrive, and would not even offer to locate what I wanted...so I went to my local Nissan Dealer. Nuff said.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Nuff said? Not quite. You can't compare any Nissan sedan to the Camry. Different cars for different tastes. I would've went to another Toyota dealer personally before I settled for anything Nissan is selling right now. If you are happy with your deal then you didn't want a Camry in the first place.
    They will be in short supply VERY soon. The V6 is already difficult to find because they stopped building them a month ago to prepare for the new VVT-i version. Here in the Central Atlantic Region, we will be getting no Camrys allocated until the middle of January and we didn't get any on our last allocation. That means no new Camrys on our lot from the middle of December until the early part of February. What is here now is all there is for a while.
    You are right. But I wanted to give another make the benefit of my doubt. But wasn't sold. Toyota makes a great vehicle, but the Camry just didn't cut the cake, or at least the 4 cyl. didn't. We test drove it on a highway at 50 mph and then punched it for passing power, and laughed. Took it back to the dealer and left shaking our heads. As soon as we got in the Maxima, we knew we had completed our search.

Sorry! Happy trailing........
    a 4 cylinder Camry doesn't have as much passing power as a 255HP Maxima. Go figure. I bet the alot of people who looked at the Maxima laughed at the "2 wheels on a broomstick" suspension.
    Interesting idea on mixing 93 and 89 octane to get 91. I'll probably just stick with 93 for now, but at least I have an option. Tbanks.
    I'm sorry you feel that way about the Maxima. However, this is a Toyota Camry discussion. I was just stating that my dealer couldn't provide what I WANTED....a V6, so I moved on.

Broomstick?? Not sure exactly what you mean, and it doesn't really matter. I have the car I was truly meant to have. And I'm sure you do too.

Even though you have a very bad attitude, Happy New Year to you. :)
    Ok. The broomstick comment is made because the Maxima/I30 are the only cars in their class to use the out-dated and inferior rear axle suspension. It's a bar with 2 wheels on it and not ideal for a car Nissan wants to market as a sports sedan.

And if you only wanted to comment on the availability of the Camry you could've left it at "my dealer couldn't find a V6" instead of commenting on the Camrys lack of power as opposed to a car with 100 more HP.
    I think he is responding to your comment "I was just stating that my dealer couldn't provide what I WANTED....a V6, so I moved on." You stated that you didn't want the Toyota anyway and were just looking to confirm your decision to buy a Nissan. That's fine but you make it sound like Toyota's fault for not clamoring for your business. You weren't buying anyway, yet you felt compelled to chide us here.
    But I needed to test drive a V6 to do my comparison. So as it turns out, there were no comparisons. I shall move on and venture back to my neighborhood and leave you all alone. Thanks.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    You looked at the Camry and bought the Maxima intstead?

Shame on you. You must be blind. LOL.

Take it easy and don't get offended by the comments. They are just being hardcore Camry fans.;)

Happy New Year to you too!
    Referring to a post from before that Nissan femme blantantly insulted the Camry and compared it to car with 100 more hp and about a 5 grand higher price tag, I read that the percentage of Camry V6 models is around 20 percent. My apologies that I cannot cite where I read this- I just recall seeing it somewhere. Cliffy- any thoughts as to this proportion of V6s and 4s? I must say that with this redesign, I feel like I've seen more V6 models than the previous generations- especially XLE V6s.
    ~alpha
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I, for one, didn't think you came into this forum with an attitude, unlike some others here. Lighten up people!!!
    Happy New Year to everyone and let's remember our manners for the new year!!

The Sandman :-)
  • akedmundsakedmunds Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

In the demo drive we took of the Camry

LE auto, we found that the doors lock

automatically when the car is put in drive. My

wife doesnt like this feature. Does anyone know

if and how this can be disabled?

Thanks,

AK

• drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Between the two, I would choose the 5 speed automatic transmission. You wouldn't usually feel the power of vvti unless you race your engine all the time. VVTI maintains torque to the upper rev range but has same torque at lower rev range. A 5 speed is more useful especially when passing cars on the highway (50-70 mph) in a relaxed manner.
  • 2002camry2002camry Member Posts: 20
    I bought a XLE V6 which I love to drive. However, I am wondering if anyone can answer in a civilized way the following questions.
    1) I read that timing chains are much better and stronger, not to mention doesn't require replacement. Why did Toyota continue to use a timing belt in the 2002 Camry? Was it just a matter a saving money?

2) I heard that the Double wishbone suspension system was superior to the Chapman suspension system used by Camrys. Do you think the decision to use Chapmans (an older technology) was again a cost saving issue?
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I don't know about the timing chain vs. belt question, but regarding the suspension question, I suspect that the Chapman struts in the rear are considered by Toyota to be a cost effective design, and the best choice for use in a family sedan like the Camry.

Double wishbone suspensions are desirable due to their potentially superior handling characteristics as compared to struts. This is because they excel at camber control, which means that it keeps the wheel perpendicular to the road surface while it moves up and down. For handling, this is a good thing.

Another advantage of double wishbone suspensions is that they require less height than a comparable strut suspension, so lower designs are possible... probably more important to sports car designers.

The main disadvantage of double wishbone suspensions is cost... they have a lot more parts than a strut suspension.

Struts are comparatively inexpensive and compact, although they tend to be tall. Despite the disadvantages as compared to a double wishbone suspension, a well-designed strut suspension can provide very good handling.

Of course, the handling advantages of a double wishbone suspension are potential... it ultimately depends on a lot of factors. In the Camry's class, the Honda Accord has a double wishbone suspension, and is generally considered to be a somewhat more nimble handler, with a touch more ride harshness. The Camry is tuned more toward a smooth ride, but it remains a competent handler as well.

However, the Hyundai Sonata uses a double wishbone suspension and is considered to be a below average handler. OTOH, the Nissan Altima uses struts and is considered to be one of the best handling cars in its class. And finally, BMW uses struts in cars that many people consider to be among the best handling production automobiles regardless of manufacturer. So it's more than just the choice of suspension types... it's also a matter of the design choices made by the manufacturer.

As for the Camry, its strut-based suspension is an appropriate choice for its intended mission... comfortable ride and competent handling. No need for double wishbones here.
    Timing belts make for a more quite engine. Chains are not "superior" other than the fact that they last twice as long. The down side is, they cost triple to replace.

The McPherson strut on the Camry is generally smoother riding than a double wishbone.
    Thanks for a very informative, excellent post. Post more often!
    ~alpha
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE BATTLE OF THE BELT AND CHAIN?

The timing belt gathered a lot of interest by automotive engine designers 20 years ago.

The Japanese were the first to drive their camshafts with these timing belts. Then other manufacturers followed suit.

Some did not.

Saturn decided that they would not adopt a belt and utilized a chain in their initial entry to the automotive market. They continue this decision and advertise the advantages of the chain timing drive.

Jaguar never gave in to the new technology.

Take a look at what auto manufacturers a bragging about today.

"Chain Drive"! Subaru has changed from belt to chain, Porsche has made the switch back to chain, .....

Why has the automotive industry changed the trend?

Because chain is a trouble free product.

Have you ever seen a timing chain replacement as a scheduled maintenance on a car?

All belt drives require scheduled replacement with potentially expensive consequences if you do not heed their recommendations.

What about noise?

Several years ago when we developed the original PDQ (Super Quiet) operator, we did most of our noise testing from the space over the garage. Isn't this where most people want quiet?

We found that the harmonic motor and drive train vibrations caused nearly all of the noise. Chain noise was not transmitted to the space over the garage.

How many people are worried about the noise in the garage? Everyone wants reliability.

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:TNNhygyDBQMC:www.allstarcorp.com/Manuals/Tech%2520Notes/TechTips0702.pdf+%22chain+replacement+%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Timing chains do eventually need replaced. The Toyota manual calls for "inspection" at 120K miles. The chains are two to three times more expensive to replace. Ask your repair shop.