Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• reklawcreklawc Member Posts: 27
    In my opinion the Toyota 3.0 v6 does not need as much horsepower as other makes because the power comes in at a lower rpm and Toyota engines are geared so that they are running at about 400 rpm faster in high gear than comparable Hondas. Just notice how much Hondas change gears on hills compared to Camrys. And the Camrys get just as good gas mileage and the engines are quieter. Wheather this is due to the dual overhead cams in Toyota engines or what, I don't know. I have a 1992 v6 Camry, rated at 185 horses, and it will out perform most 200+ horsepower engines made today + it seldem downshifts on hills (I have test driven several v6 cars lately and owned a Honda for 2 years) and the Camry gets 29 mpg on trips. The manual recommends premium fuel but I have been using regular for the last 100,000 miles. By the way my Camry has 161,000 miles and uses 1/3 quart of oil every 3000 miles. The only maintenance on the engine, other than routine, was spark plugs and wires at 95,000 miles, but I guess that is also routine.
    My opinion is don't change the engine.
  • miserymulemiserymule Member Posts: 5
    I just spent 2 days and 330 miles in a brand new Camry LE 4 cylinder automatic which I rented from Hertz. Here are some obversations for anyone who may be interested. For reference my usual cars include a 2002 Audi A6 2.7t, 1999 Subaru Outback, and a 1996 Ford F-150. In summary, the Camry is an outstanding car, and a great value, at least in the base form I drove. I'd say that, except for power and not having all wheel drive, it's 80% of my Audi at less than half the cost. Acceleration is perfectly adequate, the transmission shifts more smoothly than any of my other cars, and the brakes are just fine (yes, the pedal feel could be a little better but I didn't find it a major drawback). At first I thought the driver's seat might be uncomfortable, but careful adjustment with the power controls made it fit me (I'm 5'10", 200 lbs. and a "baseball player" build). My wife, who is my height, thought the passenger seat was just a bit low. The steering is light, and not as connected to the road as either the Audi or the Subaru, which has surprisingly fine steering. The a/c was more than enough at 90 degree + midwest humidity. The outside rear view mirrors don't seem to cover quite the area I would like (now that is a real nit). The headlights are great, the car is quiet, although not as dead quiet as I had been lead to believe from some reviews, and the radio was at least as good as my ears

I really can't find much bad to say about car. The worst thing to me is that is has a bit of a "cheap car" feel over sharp bumps. My Audi is much more absorbant, but the Camry feels more like the Subaru in terms of impact harshness. The Camry seems to handle OK, but it is soft enough, understeers heavily, and has limited enough tire adhesion to discourage high G freeway ramp entrances - something at which the Audi excels. I did not have a chance to execute a "dodge the raccoon test." Gas mileage was at least 33 mpg over the 330 miles which were 90% highway. I say "at least" because I don't know for sure it was 100% full when I got it. I put in 10.1 gallons at the 332 mile mark just as I returned it.

I have driven a new Accord briefly, and found the Camry to have a more "airy" feeling interior. Honda used to have a lot beltline and a very open feeling to the interior, but I would say that honor now belongs to Camry.

The Camry does have a interesting "soporific" effect. It is so light and easy to drive that it does tend to lull you into inattention. I found myself a couple of times parked in the left lane at 80mph failing to remember to move over for faster traffic, and I missed a couple of turns because my wife and I were chatting away, which is easy due to the low noise level. I find this hard to characterize as a fault of the car -- more a fault of the driver.

It's not a sports car, but it is about the perfect generic sedan. I could live with one of these with no problem, and may buy one for our winter getaway place.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    matherson- Congratulations on your SE purchase- what were your options? Sounds like you got auto/leather/ABS/side curtains/heated seats/spoiler/alloys/JBL- am I right? Decent deal as well- enjoy! What color did you get?

miserymule- Thanks for the comprehensive review! Camrys may be universally deridden for offering too much isolation, but for the majority of this vehicles target audience, this is a truly exceptional car. If you are seriously considering the Camry, take a look at the SE model- this firms the steering and ride/handling up a bit, which you may find to your liking, since you currently have the Audi and Sube.

regards,
    ~alpha
  • mathersonmatherson Member Posts: 41
    Yes alpha01, that's the model.
    There wasn't another similiarily equipped model in my area. So while I could have done better on price, it seemed fair to me, and if I balked it would have sold to someone for sure. Dealer had 60 LE and XLE's in inventory.
    Color is Stratosphere Mica.
    Stratosphere Mica is THE BEST color available on the Camry. Our 02 LE w/ split 5 spoke alloys is Strat. To my eye, dark colors tighten up the not-exactly-flattering-from-some-angles rear quarter proportions of the Camry.

Overall, a very sharp choice. Congrats again.
    ~alpha
  • mathersonmatherson Member Posts: 41
    I like the car a lot.
    Now I just have to add the alarm and mud guards to protect my new car.
    Any suggestions? Toyota or aftermarket on the alarm?
    Do you have an alarm? Factory, dealer or aftermarket?
    Thanks!!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Especially Alpha...who knows his stuff BTW...

I live in the S.E. Region. I am seriously considering a Toyota Camry SE I4, Honda Accord EX or EX-L, Nissan Altima 2.5S, Mazda6i or 6s, and VW Passat Gls.

The problem with the Camry for me is the lack of SE models in this area. I have seen very few SEs and the ones I see are ALL autos. I want a stick shift.

I saw one Stick SE in Rock Hill, South Carolina, but it had no options.

My question to all you Toyota buffs (I am a Honda and Nissan buff).

Are SEs with ABS, Sunroof, Sunshade, Leather (Factory not Port installed),and Side airbags with manual tranny hard to find?

I may have to go upstate if I decide to get the Camry SE.

I did see a loaded SE the other day without the spoiler...and while I thought I liked it...it took some getting used too. I am so used to seeing the spoiler on the SE.

Thanks in advance

Also, can a Camry be ordered from the factory?
  • jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    SE's are hard to find. I think they make up about 20 percent of total Camry production.
    I live in the Central Atlantic region(Pennsylvania) and up here, you can order a Camry. I did in late September of 2001 and it arrived three months later. I have an SE and to get what I wanted ordering was the best way to go.

I'm not sure if the SE dealers can order since they have different option packages, etc. But you may want to check out one of the larger dealer websites in the SE region. I think they have a big database that is able to be accessed by the general public to see what is available where.
    I remember checking the site of the dealer that I used to go to in Miami when I lived there.

alpha: I agree about Sratosphere Mica. I get so many compliments on my SE. The color really makes the car.
  • caspcasp Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a SE V6. I have not got the car yet. How can I know is this car is 5 speed or 4 speed automatic when I get the car?

Surprisingly, I notice the listed price of SE V6 4 speed is $500 more than 5 speed in Edmunds. What is the difference between these two except that the 5 speed has more power (210hp vs. 192 hp in 4 speed)? Thanks,
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    The window sticker should tell you if the transmission is 4 or 5 speed.
    A decent amount of activity on this board recently- very cool. Camrys are often blasted for their vanilla characteristics, but there are few cars on the market that more precisely suit the needs of the target audience.

maxamillion- you're a younger guy, right? glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates cars like the Camry. If youd like, shootme an email, and I'll give you my AIM SN if youd like to speak real-time.

In answer to your question- jdeib's post is pretty comprehensive. Finding a manual Camry equipped the way you want it will be a task- but not an impossible one. If dealers give you a hard time, remind them politely that the Camry is a 400K/year volume seller, and if that particular dealership can't help you, you're confident another can.

Also, read this article regarding Holdback, another good piece of advice from Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html. Again, it will give you the upper hand in negotiations- you make it know that you are aware that ordering the car will allow the dealer to secure the entire "holdback" amount from the manufacturer- so why would the dealer be unwilling to do so?.

Finally, might I make a suggestion? If you don't need 4 doors and can wait about 6 months for selling prices to drop, get the Solara SE, which has more standard equipment at a slightly lower price than the Camry SE.

Best,
    ~alpha
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    I've noticed the thermemoter is way off after you start the car while parked outside during the summer. I've seen a reading of 107 when it was about 91, after 5-10 minutes of driving the temperature returns to a more reasonable level. I don't trust the initial reading but under cloudy conditions the temperature seems to be accurate from the start, should work in the winter when it's needed the most.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I am seriously considering the Solara since I now know it will be available with a 5spd manual on I4 models. I actually like it..but I like the Accord coupe as well.
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Looking for comparable vehicles with TC as we don't need an SUV with 4WD/AWD. My Olds Intrigue performed flawlessly in all the snow we got in the NE this winter with the TC kicking in just a couple of times.

I see the NIssan Altima has TC optional; how about the Camry SE or XLE V6?

Thanks

Deke
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) with Traction Control is optional on all Camry V6 models.
    Thanks. I couldn't see exactly where on Toyota's web site where it mentions TC. I hoped it was part of the VSC. Guess I'm too used to seeing it listed as a separate option/item, like GM does.

This now pushes me towards the Camry SE or XLE over the Altima. Don't like the sloping roof on the Nissan - I just KNOW someone's going to bang their head getting in or out (probably me).

Edmunds shows an XLE with most of the options should go for around $25G with a $28G sticker. If I go for an '03, they should be discounted soon. I guess no changes fo the '04 models?

Deke
    There is some speculation regarding changes to the 04 models, though nobody has confirmation. The biggest rumour circulating is that SE V6 models may get the newly introduced Solara/Sienna/RX 3.3L engine with 225hp and 240lb ft.

It is my opinion that the incentives on the 03 will not be increased any further than the level they have already reached- I believe $750-$1500 rebate currently, dependent on the region of the US in which you live. If you can find an XLE V6 that with the equipment you want at a price you want, Id say go for it. If you want an SE perhaps wait to see if the engine upgrade is true- but, most likely, you'll pay more. Your call, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose.

Best
    alpha
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    Here in Calif they're knocking 4K off the MSRP.
  • raytoy44raytoy44 Member Posts: 10
    To all people who know their automatic driver seat slides......YES, Toyota now has a FIX BULLETIN for this problem.

I have the part on order for my car. It has annoyed me for so long now that I HATE driving this car. The dealer tried telling me all seats "slide a little" but upon escalating the issue to the Toyota Regional Customer Realtions person last year they acknowleged it on my FOURTH visit, and fixed it WRONG and made it WORSE..... NOW upon trying to get it fixed again they admit the issue has a NEW PART to replace.......WHAT OTHER RECALLS DOES 2002 CAMRY HAVE??????

The seat is also uncomfortable for people 5'6".

CONSUMERS REPORTS Magazine 2003 NOW shows CAMRY as ONLY AVERAGE in REPAIR QUALITY (2002) while all other Toyota models are still Excellent.

CAMRY NOW SHOULD BE AVOIDED. It is the worst car I ever bought new.

unhappy owner
    Thats really unfortunate that you have had a bad experience with the Camry's seat and your dealership, and Im sorry that it is the worst car you have ever bought new- is this based solely on the seat, though?

Consumer Reports did rate the Camry's predicted reliability only "Average" based on the ownership experience of 2002 MY purchasers. However, many manufactureres, even Toyotas of the past, have had several first year redesigns drop slightly in the ratings. I'd be willing to guess that this rating will pick up at the next review.

As a reference, I'm 5'7 and have no problem with any of the Camry seats, front or back.

Best
    alpha
  • raytoy44raytoy44 Member Posts: 10
    The seat sliding and me hating my 2002 CAMRY is based on MANY PROBLEMS. I have several posts on the EDMUNDS CAMRY PROBLEMS boards so I will no repeat them. The Edmunds Boards are very disorganized and redundant.

Please see my PROBLEMS LIST but it includes engine noises/weakness and tranny jumping when cold problems and MANY PEOPLE WRITE of them on the boards. I have them ALL!!! The car S**ks to drive and the dealers all seem to be in denial. I had 3 prior Toyotas which were great.
    The 2002 Camry is a LEMON and crap.

Ray
    YOUR 2002 Camry is apparently a lemon and crap. That has not been the case with ours. Ours was not flawless, but has been an outstanding vehicle over the last 34K miles. Again, I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience, but its hard to make blanket statements based off one vehicle- I had a 94 Civic that had a MAJOR mechanical breakdown far earlier than I would have ever anticipated. But I dont think Hondas are junk.

Also, please do not slam the Edmunds boards- they are one of the truly useful consumer based automotive tools on the web. If you dont agree with the structure here, nobody is forcing you to post. Among others I am sure, my experience here has been overwhelmingly one of increased automotive awareness, and I enjoy reading and writing about vehicles.

Best,
    alpha
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    I have an 03 and I think its a marvelous piece of engineering.My wife is 5'6'' and thinks the ride and seat comfort is outstanding. She claimes its 1000 times better than that Grand AM we got rid of. Maybe you should try another service dept. as they are all different.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    I just saw a picture of the 04 Solara's dash / interior, it looks really nice. Any chance the 04 Camry will get the updated interior and more HP ( and some HIDs ) ? I know some of you guys may suggest the ES 330 but I'm interested in the Camry XLE V6 ( or 04 Acura TL, who knows )
    All good questions. Its all speculation right now, but the two big 2004 changes that people have heard rumours about are possibly the 3.3L V6 from the Solara being used in the SE grade Camry, and ABS w/Electronic Brake Force Distribution being standard across the line.

Additionally, I emailed a dealer that we almost purchased our 02 from, and he said this :

"Hi Joe, The 2004 Camry is due out early Sept. The only change that was mentioned that might come to life is a redesigned dashboard. The 2003 Camry recieved upgrades of standard power seat and keyless entry"

So maybe you are on the mark with the new dash design. Right now, its anyones guess. Toyota is always historically tight lipped with regards to the Camry- nobody new about the VVTi V6 introduced midyear until about a week before the announcement, for example.

~alpha
  • dillon3499dillon3499 Member Posts: 11
    I was able to get a brochure on the 04 yesterday. The only significant change is the addition of a Limited Edition which appears to be a LE dressed up 16" wheels etc.

I am still trying to decide if I purchase an 03 LE, Auto, with Conv + B, Side AB, Antilock and the Mirrow. I just got a quote for $18,949 after $1K rebate, plus Tax and Tags. Should I go for it or get a fresh 04 and most likely lose the $1K?? Any ideas will be appreciated.
    How were you able to get a brochure?! I would very much like to have one, and I'm surprised, if what you say is true, that Toyota has changed so little. If that is the case, go with the 03 and save a grand. You're getting a very good portfolio of safety and convenience options at that price.
    Best,
    ~alpha

PS- Is there any way you could scan the brochure or fax or whatever? I enjoy being the locus of Toyota/Lexus info for friends and family. (A somewhat dubious distinction, I suppose, given the vanilla brand connotation)
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Anything is possible. However, I would be surprised if Toyota would redesign the dashboard on the 2004 Camry. Particularly since it is only in its 3rd year of the new design (how time flies). Also the Camry is still selling very well. Major changes to the interior and the exterior usually occur after 4.5 to 5 years with minor exterior redesign changes usually appear in the 4th year of production. Mechanical improvements and upgraded features are more likely to occur at any time because changes to the vehicle structure are not required and the assembly process remains the same. They could change the instrumentation cluster and/or it's lighting without redesigning the dash to give it a different look (like they have done with the SE). They don't spend money unless they have to. There's a reason why Toyota is the richest and most revered car company in the world.

The Solara has always had a different dashboard and interior layout. The Solara's is more luxurious. This trend will probably continue. That's too bad.
  • dillon3499dillon3499 Member Posts: 11
    TO: Alpha 01

I don't have fax capability but I got mine through a Dealer. Call your local Dealer and see if you can pick up an 04 Camry brochure!

The Dealer says he will get the 03 I want and that I can look it over before committing. Of course this has to be accomplished by Thursday. If the 03 is fresh with the right packages I'll probably buy it. I'll let you know!
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    When I shopped for my Camry SE, my dealer told me they don't make all colors on SE. I guess my dealer was lied to me. They just wanted me to but whatever SE they had in the lot. So far, I have seen a black, silver (mine), beige, dark green and dark blue on the road.
  • san123san123 Member Posts: 2
    Sometimes I notice the key gets warm after I drive my 98 Camry. Is this a problem related to the ignition, or electrical.

My car battrey also leaks. But I still see the green light indicator on the battrey. The engine cranks and runs great. Why should a battrey leak. Can leak be associated with the ignition key to warm up.

Any thoughts please.
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    A couple of basics, shouldn't have to ask the board, but:

1) is it correct that any Camry that has ABS also has EBD (electronic brakeforce distribution, if I remember that right). This is NOT the case with Accords, but this is what a Toyota dealer told me about Camries. EBD is definitely a feature I want.

2) How important is traction control in a midwestern state with a winter? I can get an LE with ABS and curtain bags for, oh, mid 18K (is that too high?) but to get traction control I need to get up to a V6 XLE (is that right?).

That's getting up to the 21K range if i am correct. So--your thoughts please--do I need to do that? If so, why? Thanks!
  • citystyle1citystyle1 Member Posts: 2
    brozhnik - another feature you might want to consider is stability control - it is an independent option from traction

I live in the midwest and agree that the additional features for driving on ice is worth the extra expense.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    i have a v6 camry with ABS but can't find anywhere that I also have EBD, not on the sticker or on yahoo auto

btw v6xle will cost more than 21k, that is v6le price
    -Camry SE models are available in any color.

-I am sorry, but I do not know anything about leaking batteries.

-Any Camry equipped with ABS since the redesign for the 02 Model Year has EBD. This is not a feature that you will notice functioning, but I believe that it serves a good purpose- to best appropriate brake force.

-To get traction control, it is not necessary to purchase the XLE V6 Camry; the LE V6 and SE V6 also offer the VSC (which includes traction control) option. Thus, VSC is available on any V6 model, but none of the 4s. (V6 LEs with VSC/Side Airbag package will sticker for about $24K, and if you can get one for 21K, you've got a very decent deal, IMO).

~alpha
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    SE in Black Walnut was beautiful. WOW! Very rare combination so hard to find though. Phantom Gray is nice on the SE. SE's are hard to find in Midwest. You can get any Camry you want as long as it is a LE 4CY auto.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    alpha01 - That's what I thought. I noticed my SE has no rear chrome garnish (license plate) and chrome window frames like the LE and XLE. Also, do you know if the rear headrests are adjustable?
  • tpm2tpm2 Member Posts: 3
    Considering purchase of one of the above. Need input with regards to which vehicle will offer the lowest operating/main. costs and be most rewarding to drive over the expected 5 year 125k ownership. Driving is mixed 50/50-City/Hwy.
    Have heard pro's and con's for both. Need input from current owners.
    Thanks to a very friendly dealer up in WI, I was able to obtain (a bit earlier than some of the dealers in NJ, I suppose, as two denied my in person request) an 04 brochure.

Many thanks to this individual.

I've tried to summarize what I saw, and most of it is already known, but here it is:

2004 Camry changes:

1. LE models: New 15-inch alloy wheel design (opt. 4 cyl./ std. V6).

2. New “Limited Edition” model includes LE 4 cylinder features plus:
    § Limited Edition Crystal White paint
    § Limited Edition Fawn fabric
    § Limited Edition Champagne pearl badging
    § Limited Edition embroidered floormats
    § Unique grille design
    § Fog lights
    § Unique 16-inch alloy wheels on P215/60R16 all season tires
    § Woodgrain-style interior trim
    § JBL Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette and 6 disc CD Changer w/ 8 Speakers in 6 locations and FM Diversity reception
    § Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob

3. SE V6 models: 3.3L VVTi V6 producing 225hp @5600RPM & 240lb.ft. @3600 RPM and 5 speed Super ECTi transmission, rated at an Estimated 20/29 city/hwy

Mid-season 03 changes carried over:

4. LE and SE models: Power driver’s seat and keyless entry standard

5. SE models/XLE V6: Power moonroof standard

6. LE V6 and XLE V6: VVTi added to existing 3.0L V6, now produces 210hp @5800 RPM & 220 lb.ft. @ 4400 RPM and 5 speed Super ECTi EPA rated at 20/28 city/hwy

~alpha
  • 18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    Do you have any info on what the August incentives will be on 03 Camry? I am in Pittsburgh.... think that's the Central Atlantic region?? Thanks.

--18fan
  • 96accord96accord Member Posts: 20
    Alpha Did you observe any cosmetic changes to the Headlights or tailights or the body on the 04 Camry brochure as oppossed to the 02-03. Every 2 years they have a refreshening of the design. Can anyone shed some info on this. I think has been quite shortsighted on not making ABS standard. The a dashboard redesign would be good too as the current dashboard looks quite bland when compared to the 03 accords. Then again Toyota is the slowest to incorporate changes and they prefer to follow rather than lead in terms of styling options etc unless they are seriously outrun by the competition which happenned in the case of the old Sienna/oddysey. No 5 speed auto tranny for the 04 is another thing which might prevent me from buying a current model Camry.
    As a slight correction to what you stated, Toyota freshens the Camry every 4th model year of a 5 year product cycle. If you look at the 97-01 generation, Toyota freshened the front fascia and rear styling for 2000, which carried over for 2001. This dictates that this generation Camry will have the same styling for 02,03,and 04. The minor restyle will be for the 2005 and 2006 model years, and a complete redesign is expected for 2007. Accordingly, I observed no changes to the 04 Camrys styling from the new sales brochure.

I agree with you- I would like to see ABS standard on all Camrys. BUT- at $300 MSRP as a stand alone option, I dont really see what the big deal is. Additionally, as recently stated, the Accords standard ABS does not include Electronic Brake force Distribution, as the Camrys does. ABS is standard on all trim lines of V6 Camrys, and on XLE 4cyl models.

Toyota didnt follow with the introduction of Side Curtains AND Front Side Airbags with the 02 Camry or the introduction of a NAV system, so there are a few exceptions to your broad statement.

The Camry does offer a 5speed auto trans in all V6 models. The 4 speed in the 4s is quite responsive and offers very good fuel economy, you may want to try it before you rule it out.

~alpha
  • bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    last time i looked at the first half year of 2003 sales, camry still #1 in midsize sedan. probably toyota won't change anything until competitors out sale it, like some other competitors change style almost every year.
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Can anyone explain to me what this is? I just purchased last week a 2003 SE and it came with anti lock brakes.
  • canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    Alpha, thanks for listing out all 2004 changes.
    For Limited edition, does " Unique grille design" have better look compared to old one ?
    I think Camry should have 16" rim as standard for all models. This improves traction and handling.
    I was surprised that 3.3L has better gas mileage on Hwy compared to 3.0L (I thought both were identical except displacement)
    We've narrowed our search down to these two vehicles. I know this is the Camry board and I'll get all sorts of pro-Camry responses, BUT....has anyone checked out the XG? Price-wise, they're identical. Features, the Hyundai has it...warranty, too. I know residual value is garbage, but we hold our cars for a while.

Thanks.

Deke
    Which are the features that you are talking about, and how would you equip both? I am the resident Camry nerd, and I think the XG does have its merits, but to better construct an argument, I'd like to know about which options exactly youd put on both cars. There are some very good deals on the Camry right now, but there is a lot of cash back on the XG as well-you get a lot for what you pay with that vehicle, but check out Edmunds True Cost to Own for both.. Dynamically, though, I believe the Camry is a superior vehicle.

canoe2:
    I dont know that the Limited's grille is better or worse, but it is more "chromey" and moves the Toyota logo dead center. I dont like white cars, and the Limited is available only in white. Yuck.
    Also, it would have been nice to have 4 wheel discs on that model, since you're getting 16 inch wheels, why not upgrade the whole brake setup? There are only 4 options for the Limited: ABS, Side Airbags/Curtains, Power Moonroof, Power Pedals.

I am not sure, but I do not believe the 3.3L is the same as the 3.0 except for larger displacement- from what I understand, there were significant modifications made.

~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I know the ABS is only $300, but Toyota just does not make a manual with ABS, even though it is technically available.
  • bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    my 03 SE is manual, and it does come 4 wheel ABS with EBD, disc brake, front vented, rear solid, , on the stick it said $300 for that option, came from japan.
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    Good question. let me tell you how I answered it and maybe that will help.

I really wanted an SUV. About the only one that was a good enough size with almost all the options I wanted (which were most of the luxury options like leather, auto air, etc) and was in my price range of 20K to 25K was the Santa Fe LX. I looked at CPO and many other brands. Even with some models like the explorer having 3K rebates I still could not get the options I wanted in the price range I wanted.

So i looked at replcing my 96 Sable LS with another car. At first I did not look at the camry, but after a disappointing test drive of an altima, I went back to square one and discovered the camry XLE. It was perfect. It fit 98% of my needs and wants and was at the lower end of my price range. So i ordered one and I am very happy with it.

The reason i bring all this up is because I tried to rationalize the Hyundai, kinda like you are. I REALLY wanted an suv. I made the same arguments you are. The long warranty and I do not care about resale because I will drive it til it is dead. In the end I was still spooked by Hyundia's unreliability and low resale value and embraced Toyota's quality reputation. My thought was the warranty may be great but if it is in the shop every other month, thats not good for me. I also learned a better appreciation of resale values in the smart shopper boards. Unless you are willing to pay for gap insurance, what happens if your hyundia gets totalled in two years? Also in about 5 years, my camry should still be worth about 10K so I can trade it then and look for an suv in the 30K range. That will allow me to get a good quality full feature suv like i wanted this time. Hope this helps.