Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    Reliability and retained value are important. I see neither in the Saturn. My wife bought a Tercel new in 1991 and we just got rid of it last month with 72K on the odo and only because small, expensive things were starting to go and we didn't have the money to get them fixed one at a time - with full labor costs for each visit, too.

For the 12 years we had it, it never failed to start, never left us stranded, original battery was replaced after 9 years, one set of brakes, replaced front struts after 10 years, two sets of tires and timing belt at 62K per manual. That's it. Except for the center brake light, ALL bulbs were what it was delivered with. I wouldn't expect the same from a domestic "entry level" model.....

Now we have the opportunity to upgrade, but we're still shopping price. We liked the Hyundai XG350L - comparable to the Avalon/LS300 but priced like the Camry - until we looked at resale value....there was none!

Toyota's reputation is what's swaying me, especially after the excellent service that little Tercel gave us! And I'm a V8 rear wheel drive kinda guy, too!

I think I've got the wife re-convinced to get the Camry because of the price. They just don't seem to understand about resale value or such....

Deke
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I'm a bit confused- the steering on the Accord was too light, but you find the Camry's firmer? My opinion is exactly opposite. Interesting.

~alpha
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Posts: 39
    Well, from what I tested Accord I came to that conclusion, yes it's light! Of course different ppl thinks and feels differently. That's why I bought Camry. There are more to just the steering, styling is also a big issue. Smaller trunk 14 vs. 17 in Camry.
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    Everyone seems to have forgotten one minor item here in explaining the benefits of the camry over the saturn. His wife may like the saturn more, although it sounds like she is coming around more to the camry which is good. The resale is a no brainer, the camry will hold much more of its value and in the end will cost you less than the saturn. Reliability favors the camry.If you want a wagon then the camry is not an option(i think toyota would be wise to make one). How about the Subaru Legacy wagon, or a small SUV. The camry is an excellent car; i have a 99 with 130,000 miles and going strong. Be sure the front seats are to your liking as this seems to be an issue with some people. Also, the reliability has come down a bit, but probably going to improve. There seems to be a lot of them in stock so bargain hard. Good luck.
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    Subaru was never considered for some reason. Too many pepole we know that have them complain about the price of parts, especially after the warranty expires. Service at the local dealer is questionable and often they don't get to the car on the day you're scheduled.

Talked the wife out of a SUV as we really don't need one - she liked the Kia Sorento, Jeep Liberty and Hyundai Santa Fe. Her main worry is driving in the snow. I have traction control in my Olds Intrigue and didn't get stuck in all the white stuff we had last winter, so she's OK with a car with TC.

Time is running out on getting an '03 model and prices on the '04 are higher, according to Edmunds. An '04 XLE-V6 with VSC and Premium Plus is over $26K. Add TTT and it's around $28K. Rebate and discounting on an '03 brings that total down around $25K, but dealers aren't aggressively going out and locating "last year's" models. Then again, maybe it's just my local dealer (Manfredi Toyoya, Staten Island).... Hate to have to go to Brooklyn or New Jersey - Olds was bought in Jersey and they wouldn't send their tag guy to New York to take care of the paperwork for us.

It all boils down now to when the settlement payment is received. We were hoping it was going to be this week so we could take care of the whole business this weekend - test drive, choose, pick out the one we want and write the check. Now it may not be until next week or the week after.

I thank everyone for their opinions, observations and comments. Believe it or not, I only received TWO replies on the Saturn L board, of course both telling me to get the Saturn, but offering no comparisons, unlike here.

Deke
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,772
    I found the steering wheel on Honda Accord is right for me. It is speed sensitive which is easy for parking or make turns and tight at highway speed. The steering wheel on my 03 Camry SE is not quite as good as the Accord. I feel more movement at highway speed. I have to hold on the steering wheel more often.
    I would recommend holding on to the steering wheel in any car you drive.

:)

~alpha
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,772
    It's hard to do it these days for most drivers. Anyway, my point is I feel the steering wheel on Camry is kind of loose at highway speed.
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Posts: 39
    how fast can I go during the Break-in period? Is it 55mph or 65mph. The manual doesn't say anything except no hard braking, no single speed for a long time etc.

How do you understand the "improved performance" if using 91 or higher octane gas? Thanks!
    Vary the engine speed (Personally, I would refrain from anything above 90% redline, which if you have the 4 is about 5500 RPM). No hard braking. Thats it, excatly what the manual says. The days of early first oil changes and speed limitations for the first xxxx miles are over, IMHO.

How I understand the fuel thing in relation to Camrys-If you purchased a 4 cylinder Camry, you are fine on regular fuel, and no performance increases are expected by using higher octane. If you purchased a V6, you are fine on regular fuel, but acceleration may be more responsive and/or fuel consumption better with higher grade octane.

~alpha
  • 5spd5spd Posts: 38
    Can someone share the real life gas mileage for the latest camries ? I am talking about a four cylinder model with automatic transmission. I am comparing it to a similar Accord. Thanks.
  • slov98slov98 Posts: 112
    I accelerated slowly the first 1000 miles, gentle driving, changed the oil at 1000 miles..I think you have the v6 also, it accelerates nicely now(almost 6000 miles), gas is mid grade 89 since the start
    Our 02 LE 4 cly auto in a 65/35 mix of stop&go and highway averages about 27 MPG, but my dad and I tend to be a bit judicious in our use of the throttle.

slov- I disagree with you. But hey, thats what these boards are for. I remember being told by someone in the maintenence boards that automakers use a specially formulated break in oil out of factory, and that it should not be changed earlier than indicated.

We did oil changes/maintenance every 5k for the first 30K miles, and now go every 3750.

~alpha
  • I think men should have the final word in Car purchase unless the lady is more mechanically inclined. Anyway, do a test of both cars and I'll be surprised if you find the Saturn comparable to the Camry. I owned 03 Camry SE V6 and I find the only car that is more fun to drive in this price catagory is the Accord V6. Anyway let us know what you choose.
  • I get 19 pure city, As high as 33 pure highway and I estimate about 24 with a mix of 70% city and 30% highway. I have an auto 4cyl LE w/12K miles.
    Should have read: 35/65 stop&go/highway, sorry I reversed the info.

~alpha
  • 96accord96accord Posts: 20
    I live in Nebraska and I am planning to buy a Camry from Los Angeles due to unavaliability of my choice from the local dealers in Ne. I wanted to enquire about the procedure to register if I buy from California. Do I have to pay Ca sales tax and pay registration in Nebraska. Or do I have to drive it to Nebraska and pay the applicable sales tax there along with the registration. I will have to drive it through Neveda, Utah and Wyoming before getting to Nebraska. Will I have to stop at the Ports of entry at each state and inform them i am driving unregistered from California to Nebraska. I spoke to a dealer in LA and he mentioned that I would be liable for california sales tax as the sale was made here unless they ship it out to a certain address where I take delivery but in that case if it were neveda i would be liable to pay sales tax there. They would not register the vehicle in Ca and they would issue me a one way permit to drive out of the state back to Nebraska. Am I liable for Nebraska sales tax at the time of registration there after paying Ca sales tax and will the local dealer there honor any warranty problems there. Does anyone know how this works because I do believe people do buy from other states all the time but how does one manage the the sales tax and registration.

Thanks in Advance
    Pat
  • For all of you who are looking to upgrade your current stock unit and to all of you who are seeking an answer on how to do so, please read this message.
    If your current unit doesn't have JBL on the front, that means you current unit has an amplifier built in and you'll need to acquire an external amplifier if you'd like to upgrade to JBL premium sound. They do not make Toyota in dash CD changers with built in amplifier, they are all internal.
    When you look for a Toyota amplifier, it doesn't matter if it is JBL or basic stock, as long as the amplifier or the amplifier's jumper harness has a 20-pin connector on the end you're in business.
    Anymore questions please ask me I'd love to put more of my installation experience I acquired over the years to use.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Believe it or not, most states don't have a sales tax on cars. They have a "title tax" which is normally, the same rate as the sales tax. The title tax is only charged by the state when the car is titled. For example, if a customer bought a car in VA and took it to North Dakota, that customer would not pay any tax to the dealership. The customer would pay the title tax for ND. The term sales tax is just used an an expedience in many cases.

CA may be different, but that is how it works in most places.
  • it is very hard to get away from uncle sam,
    you must paid tax to state where the vehicle is registered, doesn't matter where you buy it in U.S.
    on the other hand, "USE TAX", where if you bought goods from another state, you suppose to report the tax, but not many people does it, and got away with it,
    i think there might be one exception, the tiny state DE do not have sales tax.
  • Visited some friends yesterday who just got an 03 LE 4 cylinder. Wife drove it and loved it, but sill wants the ABS and VSC package. Since ABS only comes in the V6 models, I priced one out on Edmunds. With the Convenience Plus package B and VSC/Side Airbag package, should be able to get it for $23,811. I think that's a good price. ANo more "haggle room"? No trade in and this will be a straight cash deal.

The Saturn L300 is about two grand MORE, and is less car in the long run.

After we get her Camry, we'll be checking out AAA's extended warranty services. Would LOVE to have that Hyundai-type 10 year warranty!

Now, just to pin the wife down to one color....Catalina Blue was the only choice until we saw a Phantom Gray Pearl last night. Geez!
  • Mine is a phantom grey. I think silver is nice too with the 16" alloy wheel. Enjoy your Camry if you did get one and I think your wife will be happy with it.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I am interested in the Camry with the I4 engine and auto trans. Can anyone tell me what kind of mpg I can expect with mostly highway driving? Also, can someone tell me what the RPM are at exactly 70 mph? Thanks
  • i have the 03 SE i4 Manual transmission,
    last time i seen it the rpm is around 2600 to 2700rpm at 70mph on 5th gear
    around 2100 at 60mph, and close to 3000 at 80mph
    i think it is different on an auto.
  • My 2003 LE 4 cylinder automatic gets about 32mpg in highway travel. RPM at 70 is about 2500 (from memory -- I know that 60mph=2100). My normal commuting mileage (biased toward highway) is right on 30 mpg.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 128
    All details that you want to know:
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =2004camry_s

New 3.3L takes more gas than 3.0L as I expected.
    I'd gladly trade 1 mpg city for the extra 15 hp and 20 lb. torque that the 3.3L offers. From everything I've read regarding this engine in other Camry iterations, I think we'll see a zero-sixty in the 7.3 second range. Judging from the last (non VVTi) 3.0 that Car and Driver tested, this would represent an entire second improvement.

Additionally, I am intrigued by these specs, as I am almost positive in the 2004 Camry brochure, the 5ECTi/3.0 V6 combination is listed at 20/28 city/hwy EPA ratings. Either I am wrong, or those must have been preliminary measures.

Thanks for the specs post, canoe2!
    ~alpha
    Yea, there are definitely errors on that page. For example, check out the curb weights of the V6 models- thats for the old 192hp/4speed auto versions. The new curbs for the VVTi 3.0 5sp ECTi combo are not shown (or I dont see them), and neither is the nearly 3500lb curb weight for the 3.3L 5sp ECTi SE V6.

Also, this states that XLE models have side curtains standard, which has NEVER been indicated before. Youd think if this were true, it would show up SOMEWHERE, for example, the www.toyota.com, or the Camry brochure, car mags, etc.

~alpha
  • Hi,

I have a 2003 xle 4cyl...and I love the car. I am thinking about purchacing the navigation system. Can you help me with the following questios:

-is the navigation system any good?

-can it be added on to my existing car? ( I have the jbl sound system)

-what would be a good price to pay for one?

-does the installation interfere with the sound system?
  • I have around 5K+ on my 03 V6 (5spd auto with the bigger engine). I am getting around 17mpg city and I have never gotten more than 25mpg on pure hghway driving. How does this compare with what others are getting?????