Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    Given that there are more than a million of these "affected" cars on the road and the number of incident that has been documented is only about 30 or so leads one to believe that the problem probably resides with the driver and not the manufacturer.
  • thegreattoyotathegreattoyota Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying a 5-spd manual SE 4cyl. sedan sometime in the next few months. I have heard that all manual transmission Camrys are made in Japan. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!
    Check the (VIN) number etched on the lower left of the winsheild. If the number starts with a "4" or an "A" it is made in the good ole' USA. If it starts with a "J" it is made in the land of the rising sun.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    rattles in the Camry...or do they not rate this aspect of the car? If you ask me the car has fallen a few notches in build quality.
    I know how the VINs work, but I was just wondering if anyone can confirm what I read. It would be interesting indeed if Toyota manufactures all manual Camrys in Japan.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I've pressed the gas instead of the brake when in reverse. I nearly backed into a lightpole as the result. Whoops! Watch your feet people!
    Hi everyone,

As I said in a post above, I am interested in a manual transmission Camry SE sedan. Living in South Carolina, I'm sure just locating a manual would be difficult at best; even if I do I'm sure the color/options combo won't be what I'm looking for.

In fact, I'm pretty sure nothing short of a direct factory order could get me the exact car I want. So the question is: Does Toyota allow its dealers to place orders direct to the factory or are we consumers relegated to hoping and praying and having the dealer simply search inventory and pre-determined allocations?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Hey Cool, how's the Corolla? I miss the excellent gas mileage of mine, my Sentra isn't as good as my old '96 DX. But I must admit, the Sentra drives and brakes much better than the DX. I guess the 15" wheels also help improve the ride.
    Hope all is well otherwise.

The Sandman :-)
    Have you tried Autobytel, msncarpoint or other websites? I bought mine online. My Toyota dealer has a website where you can order any trim levels you want. I bought a 2004 SE V6 mine was built in Japan. I am sure if you have your heart set on a SE 5 speed manual, there are ways you can buy it.
    Thanks, andy71. I sent my dealer an email and I'll see what they say. Thanks again for recommending those sites.
  • bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    not many SE 5M around, mine is se 4cyl stick, vin# begins with JT, from what i've seen, all SE stick shift are from japan, and there are some small percentage of none SE stick, auto or stick, i4 or v6 that also come to US by boat.
  • jeff1jeff1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I saw someone metioned camry made in [non-permissible content removed] or US? Do you think camry made in Japan has better quality? If so, is there any XLE 4cyl made in Japna on US market?

Thanks!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I've only seen SE model with J Vin.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    It's still kicking--I hit 77,000 miles the other day...haha. I guess it will be kicking for a LOT longer. But, I'll probably sell it at the end of spring before I leave for a college that's too urbanized for me to have it. (The drive home is 5 hours...I'd be better off flying between Cincinnati and Cleveland on cheap regional carrier airfares anyway.) But anyway...I actually have two people who are interested in it--and that's without even mentioning I want to sell it! Great car!
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    I was interested on a c230 sport sedan until I test drove the SE v6. For the money, I get a fully loaded SE V6 with NAV vs a more expensive base c230 sport sedan. The V6 in the SE is so strong, smooth, and silent. What do you think?
    There is no comparison. 189 Hp vs 225 Hp. 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder. One costs about 23 to 26 G's and the other in the high 20's to low 30G's. Why would anyone even consider the C230?
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Everytime I see one, I get excited since the size is just right fo me but I have suspicion on the reliability and longivity of a supercharged engine.
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    I took delivery of a "custom ordered" 2004 Corolla for my daughter a couple of months ago. She wanted the hot "S" model with all of the glitzy pieces and I wanted ABS and side air bags. Toyota doesn't normally put the safety components on the kids "S" version of the Corolla but had one built for me to my specs in under a month. I plan on doing the same thing with a Camry XLE this year.
    Ed
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    How do intend to equip your XLE? Also, be aware that there will be moderate upgrades to the entire Camry line for 2005, and rumor has it that these include available stability control for 4 cylinder models. Since you seem to interested safety, I thought you might be interested. Stability control is a confirmed option for the Corolla/Vibe/Matrix next year as well.

~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Any rumors about standard ABS for 2005?
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    can you order a XLE V6 without leather ?
  • morehpmorehp Member Posts: 30
    Yes you can. Check out the Toyota website.
  • nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    Ednovak,

Toyota does not "custom order" vehicles for anyone. They "Prefence" vehicles. It depends on the district manager in your area and what is in demand. If a vehicle is not built a certain way for the US market, there is no way you can "special order" a vehicle to meet your specs. Packages, already offered by the dealership, on the other hand can be put together and built at the factory so that the dealer doesn't have to strip your car down to install the accessories or packages. If vehicles were built to everyone's spec's it would cost the consumer a phenomenal amount of $$$. It's like ordering a Corolla with a V6, which will not happen at this time.
  • 2003sev62003sev6 Member Posts: 44
    Just to answer some questions for you. About a month ago I test drove a black manual SE Camry that was built in the U.S. It felt much more powerful than the hp rating would suggest. The best thing to do if you want one to come from a certain plant is to request it from the dealership and see if they can accommodate you. I would think that the majority of the Camry's sold in the U.S. are built in the U.S. At one point, all V6 Camry's sold in Canada were built in Japan due to market demand but even that has changed for now.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I am interested in a 4 cyl. XLE and wonder about the gas mileage. What are owners seeing from the 4 cyl. auto?
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    I agree that "preferencing" a car is not out of the question, but....

I have ordered a 2004 Camry SE 4 cyl with ABS, which is not offered in Texas.

1. Tell the dealer that you want to preference and give your specs.

2. Be confident and factual, because I've had FOUR salesmen try to talk me into a car off the lot ! Be sure of what you want, and don't answer questions about why, unless you want additional hassle.

3. SE to LE price comparisons especially with options are NOT linear. My preference will cost me ~20K, even tho' I might get an LE for $16 ... according to ads, if you believe what you read in the paper...

4. I like the idea of a fresh new car, but I suggest that you check it very carefully. They asked me for a $500 deposit. Then I signed some hokie paper that said I couldn't back out. I don't see a reason to sign away rights, if you gave them money. If it is a Camry, they should be able to sell it.

5. Where in S.C. ? Altho' I'm in TX, I am from Chas. ?

Hank2
    I know you specifically asked about the XLE, but these data points may help.

The 4 cyl has about 157 hp on the LE or SE and gets about 30 MPH. That is one reason I am happy with getting a 4 cyl rather than a 6 cyl. I don't need the extra power, or the reduced mileage.

Also, I have a 1989 4 cyl with about 120 HP and 30 MPH ... I like the improvements

Hank2
    Just to clarify, I believe you mean "MPG" instead of "MPH".

You're a decent historian as well. Most people dont know what kind of HP older cars produce- the 1989 Camry 2.0L produced 115, not far off your number.

~alpha
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Yesterday I took delivery of a new Camry and a new Highlander. I have never owned a Toyota product before. I have to thank everyone who has posted to the Highlander and Camry message boards over the past 6 months as your comments heavily influenced my decision to buy Toyotas. I hope that I will have the great experiences that most of you have had and will have the same passion for the products after I have had them awhile.
  • keepitkeepit Member Posts: 10
    alpha01:

Been enjoying your posts from the sidelines, and those of other informed enthusiasts. Am trying to order an '04 Camry 5sp manual with leather, alloys and ABS but with no moonroof. Apparently a very tall order for any manual. (looks like best bet is for dlr to install the leather). How is the suspension on the SE vs. LE beefed up? I like tighter susp but don't want the car lowered, FYI. That's why I eliminated the Accord EX 5spM: lower seating position and overall profile (plus the moonroof chops a couple inches overhead). Too bad - beautiful engine and build qual, not so good on looks.

Any discussion or advice on these issues from you or others with the inside story? Thxs loads.

PS dlrs I've talked to know shockingly little about their product and how to find what you want. Wow.
    Sirs:
    Addendum: above referenced theoretical LE or SE should also come with side/curtain bags if that adds to your commentary...also, what might such a special order to to price and timing, incl. rebate?

Thxs
    - keepit
    First, a short commercial to alpha:
    MPH ... MPG - what's one letter among friends :-)

Now back to our show:
    I am specifically "preferencing" an SE over an LE for similar reasons ... use that word if you order from the factory to appear more knowledgeable. My 4 cyl 2004 SE w/Auto, ABS, and side air bags is ~$20K. (Steel, not alloys) The SE has 16" wheels over the 15" LE. It also has 4 wheel disc brakes over 2 wheel disc for the LE.

Rebate varies by month and may differ between LE and SE. I am still waiting for my order Feb. 06, but I was told 6 - 8 weeks. Don't know reality, yet. (Also, I don't think you can get an SE w/o moonroof ? It won't hurt to try.)

My observation was that the SE looks very similar to the LE, with a few style changes. But no height change. The suspension is tighter and the ride is harder. Also, under the hood is some kind of "sway bar" (?) for the handling, I guess. The 16" wheels also seem to help handling, but I've read in tirerack.com that the tires don't do well on rain or ice... and don't wear well.

Finally, The seats in the SE did not seem near as well padded as the LE. Alpha disagrees with me, and he usually knows his technical stuff. But in this case, when it comes to the seats, before I'll trust someone else's opinion, I suggest that they sit on it! :-)

- Hank2
    First, a short commercial to alpha:
    MPH ... MPG - what's one letter among friends :-)

Now back to our show:
    I am specifically "preferencing" an SE over an LE for similar reasons ... use that word if you order from the factory to appear more knowledgeable. My 4 cyl 2004 SE w/Auto, ABS, and side air bags is ~$20K. (Steel, not alloys) The SE has 16" wheels over the 15" LE. It also has 4 wheel disc brakes over 2 wheel disc for the LE.

Rebate varies by month and may differ between LE and SE. I am still waiting for my order Feb. 06, but I was told 6 - 8 weeks. Don't know reality, yet. (Also, I don't think you can get an SE w/o moonroof ? It won't hurt to try.)

My observation was that the SE looks very similar to the LE, with a few style changes. But no height change. The suspension is tighter and the ride is harder. Also, under the hood is some kind of "sway bar" (?) for the handling, I guess. The 16" wheels also seem to help handling, but I've read in tirerack.com that the tires don't do well on rain or ice... and don't wear well.

Finally, The seats in the SE did not seem near as well padded as the LE. Alpha disagrees with me, and he usually knows his technical stuff. But in this case, when it comes to the seats, before I'll trust someone else's opinion, I suggest that they sit on it! :-)

- Hank2
    hank2:
    Thanks bro. Sounds like you're waiting it out. Update: I'm offered the SE with ABS, alloys, leather and no auto for $20,900 ++ total after incentives. [I need to add the curtains, thx for the reminder.] Sounds decent $ to me, but who knows if corporate will ever "preference" it? Good commentary on your part.

Let's see if alpha weighs in - or maybe he has a date tonite.

Hank, why not the Honda, Altima, etc? Were they even close?

- keepit [real]
    First- larryt22! Congratulations! Fine purchases, you should be very happy. Best of luck.

Keepit- I am no expert with regard to special orders/"preferences". An SE as you describe one is very attractive, IMO. I will say that dealer installed leather may make your special order/preferencing easier. Over the LE, the SE features, as noted above, larger wheels and tires, 4 wheel disc brakes, a strut tower brace, and slightly different tuning. Curtains are a very worthwhile option, and if you are going to keep the car for any number of years, I highly recommend them. Our 02 LE does NOT have them, but our next purchase (this October) will. (Not saying it will be a Camry.. but you get my point).

Hank2 is correct in saying that the "Performance" or so-called "Summer" tires may not wear well, but most SEs sold come with All-Seasons, whose wear should be no different than normal. Note though, that on the LE, Toyota outfits many Camrys with horrid 15 inch all season Continentals that are smooth riding, but were shot in 30K, in our experience.... how long the tire will last truly depends on the quality of the tire and the care with which tires are rotated and balanced. We replaced ours with Pirelli P400 Tourings, and they are now 15,000 miles old, but are barely worn. Outstanding tire.
    But I digress.

Also, hank2- the last not-my-family Camry that I drove was a test drive in a V6 SE. Seats, though covered in leather, felt the same as our LEs.

One final note about rebates- more so than anything else, pay attention region. Toyota rebates and financing incentives vary widely depending on where you are. In November, for example, the Greater NY region had an offer of $1000 cash back. Drive an hour and fifteen minutes to PA, and the incentive was $750 cash back BUT you could COMBINE with a max of (if I recall correctly) 3.9% for 60 months. Net present value of savings would in most circumstances, be greater with the combination.

Hope this helps some. Glad to see the pace picking up around here, and I'm certainly looking forward to discovering the changes to the 2005 Camrys! Any help???

~alpha
    Sir:
    Thanks for the commentary. I'm good to go if we can get one. Re: changes to Cmry in '05 - nothing revealed via several web searches or in C/D mag's charting changes. Only that an '05 hybrid Camry is likely.

Biggest complaint seems to be road/bump reverb throughout the cabin (I confirmed this myself yesterday hitting a speedbump during test drive). Therefore my guess is there's a chance Toy will address this, prob. in some minor way if at all. Other changes may be rejiggering packages and pricing (only speculation, nothing you don't already know).

I figured what the heck - the Hondo is more refined, but the Cam with a bit of lipstick is prettier and more like Biig American Kar. The Hondo looks like she's been botoxed or something. She ain't got no expression.

Speaking of American cars, a dirty secret is that today's Impala is quite fun to drive. Edmund's review has is quite wrong, C/D mag confirms my view. But who can go with Chevy's record on maintenance? I too digress, but give the Impala a drive sometime. Don't look too bad in the right trim, either, and really is a competitor to the Cam, Hon, Alt. I'm sure most would say, "yeah, right, you can keep it 'keepit'".

- k
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4513243

Doesn't mention whether it will be teamed up with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine or both. Alpha, are you seriously thinking about buying a Camry? I think the Nissan Altima will suit you better.
  • dancingsuedancingsue Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 1995 Camry and have been browsing the messages boards but most conversations seem to be about the new models.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal or not?

1995 Toyota Camry, 4 dr DX Sedan, 95K, 2 previous owners (I would be the third). Clean Carfax report. Has just the basics no power locks or windows but does have cruise control and power steering.

Seller wants $5,100. I've been looking at KBB and even if it is in excellent condition which this one is as far as I know (my mechanic will look it over on Monday) the value of provate sale should only be $3,760. This seems like a big difference. Is KBB too low or the seller asking too much? What do you think would be a great price for this vehicle?

Thanks for any advice (poor grad student on low income so money and reliability a big issue for me).

Sue
    In my opinion, the Seller is asking too much. Yes, 95,000 miles is on the low side, but you're talking about a vehicle that is almost 10 years old. Offer the bluebook price, and if you must negotiate up. Do NOT start from the 5100 and negotiate down. Also, I would highly recommend finding a good independent mechanic who charges a reasonable flat rate to look over used cars for people before they buy them. You are smart to have gotten a CarFax report, good job.

Andy71- My parents have an 02 Camry LE 4 with a few extras, which was purchased in Dec 01 and about 60% percent paid for now. Their other vehicle is an 02 Corolla CE auto, which is fine reliability wise, but I hate it because of the archaic 3 speed mechanically controled auto. Terribly blunts performance and economy, but it was a purchase due to budget. Their situation has relaxed a bit, and when the lease is up in Sept/Oct (cant remember), they will probably looking for another midsize-ish car. I can tell you up front its not going to be the Altima. My parents drove an 02, and prefered the softer Camry. However, my dad has recently expressed an interest in AWD, so right now, the VERY IMPRESSIVE 2005 Legacy looks like a strong possibility. But who knows?

~alpha
    Keepit -

I went with Camry mainly for reliability. The 4cyl engine rocks @157HP, and Toyota engines have a great record, with few blemishes. Over the past 15 years, I've seen that Toyota incrementally learns from its mistakes. My current 1989 has 185K miles with no major problems.

That said, I like the Accord TL, but not for 25K - 30K and Premium gas. Honda and Altima have good reps, but I'm looking at longevity vs. some of their stronger points. If I wanted a sportier car, or faster, or more comfortable, I'd make a different decision.

As far as preference, I believe that if money were no object (you'd buy a maserati!), then you could find any combination of options somewhere across the country. Regardless, they want your money, so I think they will preference a reasonable combination.

NOTE !!! If you haven't signed anything yet, check out Costco. (Find a friend with a membership) [www.costcoauto.com)]On Post #840 in Prices Paid & Buying Experience, they got a great deal ... and preferencing may not be a problem. $20K is a good price. One question to try is the price "out the door" [ TTL, Inventory Tax, State Inspection, Documentary fee etc.)

Sue - My opinion is that the 1995 Camry was not as well made as the 1989 ... but that may be like saying that a Sirloin is not as good as a T-Bone. If you like the car and the mechanic gives it thumbs up - Hey, it's a Camry, it is probably a great car ... that's why we are in this group.

I agree with Alpha. Print out the Blue Book, and you may find estimates on Edmunds & Carsdirect. Also, ask the Mechanic for his opinion. If the car has Excellent cosmetics and tires, then you might want to consider your location and your budget. If you can negotiate up to $4K, that wouldn't be outrageous... depending on the mechanic's opinion. If you are a charming negotiator, you might get him back down to $3500, but I couldn't.

I do recommend walking away, nicely, make sure he has your phone number, if he can't meet your price. There are plenty of nice cars for a poor grad student and many of them are Camrys.

Give us an update.

- Hank2
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We've had 2 LE's, a '93 and a '96, and I'd recommend looking for a LE over the DX. The little niceties inside make all the difference in the world.
    We had trouble with the motor mounts on the '96, we replaced 1 and the other 2 were going. Also we had some sludge in the oil, so have your guy check the car out very carefully.
    Good luck!

The Sandman :-)
  • dancingsuedancingsue Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot for the advice;

I am definitely going to get it checked out by my mechanic, although only if he lowers the price. I am having to get a loan and I know they won't accept the $5,000 price tag.

I emailed the seller but the lowest he is willing to go right now is $4,750 which I very politely turned down. The good news is the seller is leaving the country on Thursday 26th March and so needs to sell. I left my offer on the table by saying that was all I could afford and that if he was still interested I would need at least one day to work out a maintenance check and to get a check from the loan company.

I am hoping that he will not get anyone else to pay that price and will try to sell it to a dealer and get a very big shock at what they might offer him and he will come back to me at the last minute but I feel good to not back down on a reasonable price for the car.

So thanks again and I will keep you posted on what happens.

Sue
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    03 LE V6 going in for the second oil change (free) and have a couple of items looked into - creaking in the dash (usually when cold out), tranny "kicks", especially when slowing and then accelerating, it slams into gear and the wife says the engine makes noise when idling. I've heard it and can't describe it, but it isn't the quietest....More like a buzzing than anything else.

Other than the pothole blowout, the car has been trouble-free. I know, we haven't put many miles on it, but I own a GM car so I know how problems can crop up fast!

Told the wife to mention to the service guy about the TSB on the tranny - I said she'd sound more knowledgeable to them!

Looking at replacing the Conti-CRAPS next month. Can't decide on Yokohama AVID Trouring (I have them on my Olds - what a difference!) or the Goodrich Traction T/As (still too new for proper reviews on Tire Rack).

Deke
    Wife just got back from the dealer with fresh oil and a reprogrammed tranny. The service advisor said there was no such memo on a tranny issue; service tech knew better!

Front struts were tightened (thanks to the lousy New York City streets) and now there is no more creaking from the dash. Solved the buzzing problem, too.

Next oil change in three months (cay MAY have 4200 miles by then!) will be tire rotation. Unless I replace the Conti-CRAPS before then.
    Local tire shop has recommended a Kumho Grand Touring tire as a replacement and Tire Rack has positive reviews and test results. Cost is $41 per tire. I wonder if the tire shop will match that price.....

Still very happy with the Camry. It takes a few minutes to adjust to the shorter bottom seat cushion and less elbow room in front when coming from my Olds. I think in a drag race, the 3 Liter V6 will give my 3.8 Liter Intrigue a good run! The Toyota has more HP than the olds!

Can't wait until the warm weather is here to stay - need to wash, clay and wax both cars.

Deke
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Dekester,
    Have you tried out the preprogrammed tranny? Any improvements ?
    What did they put in service paper for the tranny?
    I want them to checkout on mine as well since I have the "kicks" as you described.

Thanks
    Was just done today and I haven't driven it yet. Wife says it's as smooth as when the car was new. I'll have to take a look at the paperwork when I get home.

Leave it to the actual techs to know what's what. Service advisor was clueless. Dealership is good and they have a real nice service area; brightly lit, cushy couches plus displays with all the accessories you could ever want!

The tech actually said there was an internal memo about the tranny reprogram, not a TSB, so you might want to check with your service department. Under warranty, so it'll cost you nothing but a cup of coffee!

Deke
    Just curious; Is your Camry a 4 speed or a 5 speed automatic?
    Our '03 LE V6 has the 5-speed auto.
    Looked on the papers last night and there were no codes or notations listed for what work was done.
    What they gave my wife was the original printout from when she got there - listing her issues. That's it. Maybe they should have given her something else, but since everything's in the computer, I assume that's where it's all stored.

I guess the good thing about servicing the car at the selling dealer is that all the car's information is in one place - date of sale, etc. They can now track our driving habits and properly send us service reminders. It was funny to get a notice for our 5000 mile check-up in December after we'd had the car only two months and hadn't cracked 2000 miles yet!

We'll be taking the Camry on a trip Saturday and I'll see how smooth it is now. I still like the Mercedes-style cruise control stalk, but wish they'd put the on-off button in the dash so you don't accidentally activate it.

BTW, is the date of manucacture located on the car anywhere? My Olds Intrigue has a sticker in the driver's door jamb showing the build plant (Kansas City) and date (August 1998). This is important to pin down whether the car had gotten in on any of the running modifications made during the year.

Deke
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Look at the BF Goodrich Traction TAs. You will not believe the difference in Traction. About $80 each installed. There is also the Jetson Genesis at $75. These are installed, balanced etc.

Niether wil be as quiet but at least you will be safe.

DEATH TO THE CONTIs!