Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The month and year of manufacture should be on the driver's door or the door jam. It is usually listed e.g. as "03/04".
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The Falken ZX 512 was recently rated #1 by consumer reports. It is rated H for speed and A for both temperature and traction. It is also reasonably priced.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/512_infopg.htm
  • gonkrazgonkraz Member Posts: 19
    keepit Mar 18, 2004 12:30pm

Take note, when I checked on the dealer replacing current seats with leather they said they will put on leather covers. This would not result in the feel of original leather seats. Just a leather cover over the somewhat hard/firm seats that come with cloth.
  • keepitkeepit Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the tip. That's rather concerning. The dealer told me the cloth and leather seats don't differ from the factory except the covers, so swapping for leather covers is the same as factory leather. Sounds like that may not be true. Are you pretty sure about your info? Thanks loads,
    - Keepit
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Never heard of them... Where are they manufactured? The tire shop recommended them because he saw them in CR, but I really don't cite CR as the Bible.

The Kumhos tested #2 out of 4 touring tires which included Goodyears (never again!) one other top-of-the-line tire and a brand I never considered(memory fails me now).

Deke
    There are so many postings I couldn't just pick one to reply to. My XLE will be 1 year old in a week. It's a great car...except for the driver seat (see all previous postings, same thing). I too have tried foam pieces, the wedge cushion you sit on, the fleece they put on beds in the nursing homes (doubled over), $150 memory foam seat cushion, the cushion from the rocking chair in the house, lumbar supports, travel pillows and combinations of all of the above. I had back pain, sciatic pain, numbness and tingling in the legs and feet and then the knees would hurt. I just kept driving the 14 year old Camry as much as possible. But for the desperate people out there try this cushion. It's from Dr. Leonard's catalog (also on line) Item 34025 "Magnetic Seat Cushion $12.99 or 2/19.99. Cushion is black with "bubbles" on surface and magnets in some of the bubbles. I'm not saying it's awesome but for the first time in a year I can drive that car without some form of agony ensuing. And it was cheap. The depreciation would kill you to sell so early so give this one a try.
    For more info on the Falkens look at the web link I posted above.

Here is a place that rates tires, and they score pretty high among high performance all seasons.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?category=All+Season&s- ubcategory=High+Performance
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    anyone reccomend a bike rack that can hold 3/4 bikes for the Camry? Must be something that will not harm or lat harm come to the car.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Interesting. Sorry to hear about your plight. No complaints about the Camry's seat comfort from the 4 drivers at our camp. Seat cushion could be longer, though.

~alpha
    Guys: Remember that sweet SE 5sp I talked about ordering with alloys, side bags, and by the way factory leather in the end? Well, 3 mos. minimum to factory order now. In this day and age, for a model (Camry in general) where there's more supply than demand, you can't get a specific order done sooner? Anybody know what gives or if there is a more aggressive route than a sleepy dealer? Can't wait boys, got to commute with a new car ASAP since I used to take the train from former location.
    - Keepit
    I highly recommend you revisit the possibility of an Accord EX-L 4cyl 5M. Toyota clearly has significant issues in getting customers the vehicles they want. Its a shame really. I have heard rumors, and even read an article, that Toyota is supposedly developing some kind of order information system that will allow domestically produced vehicles to be built to spec. and delivered within a month. We'll see, but it wont come a moment too soon.

~alpha
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    An Accord EX-L with manual seem to be pretty rare in this part of the country (Indiana), the the local dealer in Merrillville has a Redondo Red model CM5584JNW which is this configuration.
    keepit Mar 25, 2004 1:10pm
    I'm only as accurate as the parts employee at the dealership. I love conflicting information. But, better to find out here than after you write the check. Maybe we can get a two out of three if someone else posts. I originally went to order "new leather seats" and was told the cost would be "prohibitive" then was told about the seat cover option. Just before posting this reply I called a different dealership and was told "factory leather" was estimated at $2000 (for the two front seats). That my only option was "after market leather". When I was transferred to the individual to talk with regarding that I just got an answering machine. So I can't confirm the first dealership info. It sure will make you think harder about the leather decision the next time around at the time of purchase.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for the info regarding reprogrammed tranny.
    Let us know how it performs on your trip. Probably you want to do "go and stop" many times for feeling the tranny.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Thanks. I'll post something Sunday or Monday on my feelings. AS long as it doesn't do that "kick", I'll be happy. Kinda reminded me of my old 440 Road Runner when it would kick down into passing gear and then upshift hard once I let off the pedal!

Too bad the Toyota V6 doesn't SOUND like that big block Mopar!

Deke
    When one purchases a new Camry is it normal for the dealer to charge an additional fee for advertising? I have heard this before- that all Toyota dealers charge this fee. Is this correct? I am in the mid-west.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    I think it varies with the dealership, I was told to pay for usual things(title,tax etc) + $269 for 'processing fee', who knows what was included in that but I knew this ahead of time.
    Well gents, I picked up a new SE 5sp tonite. Doesn't have ABS, or leather, or side bags, and does have moonroof which I didn't want. But hey, the car is beautiful, even in sand mica when I wanted blue. Actually just shows you how much I prefer the look of the SE vs. Accord to make all those compromises. I had dealer switch wheels to alloys to make it fully palatable; does have auto dimming mirror WITH COMPASS (always wanted one of those)...yipee, I know. Fellows, I'm very happy with this car. Price paid was $700 over invoice plus alloys at cost minus $1000 rebate, total of $19,0XX.

I actually simply went in to get trade credit on another vehicle to buy a Sienna at another dealer when first dealer indicated he just got an LE in with 5sp, very rare, since I mentioned I was looking. I agreed to buy it anyway, giving up hope on the SE. Turned out to be an SE when delivered from sister dealership! Oh happy day -- you guys don't know the hours I've spent driving to dealers with reneged deals upon arrival b/c my old car wasn't "clean" enough to get book. Funny, they're all super clean once on the sales lot.
    Anyhow, comments welcome on compromises. Never thought I'd buy a non-ABS car again, but I figured it'll be just like the old days.
    Thanks for all the comments and advice. Guys, again, great looking car, and wish me luck on Sienna pick-up with wif and rugrats.
    - Keepit.
    Did they charge you any "advertisement" fees? Some, such as carsdirect.com, build the ad fee into the invoice cost.
         Congratulations on the new Camry!
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    Congrats on the new car, but I do not understand what the big deal was about ordering one. I ordered an XLE last year and it took about 6 weeks. The salesman had said up to two months, but I think they quote a longer time to cover themselves and look good when it comes in early. I have ordered my last two cars and I think I always will unless I get a Honda or Acura. I like having the car just like I want it. Now is the best time to order. In my area the rebate continued at the same amount for over three months. The 04's have been out a while and it is a long time until the 05 model. Even if the order took 3 months, I bet the rebate would be the same or bigger.
    FreddieVH: As far as I know, no ad fee, but sorry not 100% sure. Just bought a Sienna today with a few hundred bucks ad fee, 3.5% over invoice for LE with side bags and warranty at cost. If you don't beat em up too badly on price, they'll be nicer on warranty I think. Wif actually finished off the Camry purchase, I was on phone. No extra warranty.

Spector: Yes, this is the problem with being in a hurry. I'm moving and needed 2 cars ASAP. Not good for getting what you want to spec. If I don't get killed I'll never miss the ABS and side bags (insert irony here). I'm going to look into aftermarket leather -- sounds like the dealers just outsource to upholsterers anyway and collect a cut from what I've been able to ask service depts.

I'm not sure why so many of you prefer the Camry to the Accord, but for me, I didn't want to walk up to my car every day and wonder who botoxed it.
    -keepit.
    Also meant to thank you for the advice. You are right, would have been happy with Acc EX despite my jokes. Well, it's done now. - keepit
    Because of Toyota's regionally convoluted system of distribution, ordering cars can be a nightmare depending on where you are. And, in actuality, the 2005s arent TOO far away... rumor has it that we'll see a summer appearance for the revisions (which include sharp 17-inch alloys on the SE V6, a new, more agressive front-end, redesigned taillamps, revised guages, new lower dash, etc).

keepit- Congrats, and you're welcome.

~alpha
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    I guess since it is a more major change this year, that the 05 might be out sooner. Like you said I was expecting a nightmare when I placed my order. The salesman said he had only ordered two cars in 6 years of working at the dealership. But it all went smooth. I am in SET region.

keepit--you are right, if you gotta have it now, you have to go with what you can find. I just try to not be in that situauion. I have been lucky the last two times, but I can see if you had a car totalled or something where you may have to replace it right away.

You said "I'm not sure why so many of you prefer the Camry to the Accord". To me it was a no brainer. I looked at some accords in some parking lots and they appeared way smaller on the inside than the camry. I like the looks of the accord, inside and out, but the camry just looked more upscale to me. The accord reminded me of a twenty something car, which I am not, LOL. I am not knocking the accord, I am sure it is a great car, just the camry looked better to me and fit my needs better. I am still amazed that the camry feels so much bigger, inside and out, but it actually has a smaller fit in my garage.
    Drove 110 miles with the reprogrammed tranny this weekend. Don't know what they did, but it still feels like a manual bucking and getting ready to stall! When I slow down for a light, but don;t completely stop and then accellerate, the tranny kicks. Years ago you knew it was because you were at the shift point between gears and the tranny had to either finish the downwhift or go to the higher gear.

Maybe I need to bring the car in and take the service guy for a ride to show him what the problem is.

Even slowing to go through the toll gates was enough to confuse the tranny as to what gear to be in. This can't be normal. Anyone else experiencing this, or do I need to get used to it? Since there are two of us driving the car and we each have different styles, are we driving the adaptive program batty because it can't learn TWO drivers?

Otherwise, this car is "like butta".

Deke
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    I think this is normal, it happened to me also, it gets better as you put more miles on it, how many miles did you have on before the new ecu?

I noticed it a lot at first but now don't even notice it. It's like preparing to stop but then you immediately hit the accelerator, try to hit it gently to see if it makes any difference.
    Car had 3100 miles on it - now about 3200.
    This is the first car we've owned with electronically controlled tranny, so maybe I need to get used to the "non-mechanicability" of it?

Checked the door jamb sticker and our LE V6 was built 02/03. All 2003 V6s are equipped with the 5-speed auto, correct? I don't have the window sticker handy right now to look at....

Deke
    Not ALL 2003s. The switch was made starting with January 2003 production, so yours does indeed have the 5 speed automatic. Note the transmission "upgrade" was also accompanied by the addition of VVTi to the 3.0L V6, which boosted hp by 18 to 210, and torque by 11 foot pounds, to 220.

A technicality thats worth noting- You've probably had vehicles with electronically controlled transmissions before. The "newness" of feeling in the interaction between your foot and the vehicle's shifting characteristics is due to an electronically controlled THROTTLE (not transmission).

~alpha
  • bellabella Member Posts: 4
    What is the "anti-theft system w. engine immobilizer and ALARM" that is standard on the XLE? Is it the same as the passive alarm? Dealer says it is not, and that will it not be recognized as an alarm by insurance. Thanks in advance.
    Alpha - Thanks! Guess I need to have a lighter foot than usual in the Camry.

Bella - our insurance company recognized the standard engine immobilizer on our LE V6 as an anti-theft device and gave us the corresponding discount. Check with your insurance company before taking the word of someone who's probably wanting to sell you an alarm system.

Deke
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    Congrats on the new SE! $19K is terrific, and better than you could get by ordering. I'm still waiting for my SE order, but it hasn't been 8 weeks, yet. (You can always pump the brakes, besides, if you do lots of hiway driving who worries about the brakes :-)

One of the things folks have said is to ask for the price Out the Door, because they can do the calculation, as soon as you've agreed.

Keep us informed about the Sienna (I know it's a Camry Newsgroup.)

-Hank2
    I know this is off topic here, but just had to run to the local Toyota dealership tonight and low and behold they had both an Xa and a xB sitting there. I thought they were not to arrive nationwide until June? It is still March on my calendar.
    Thanks - yes, the alternatives to ABS while driving are delirium tremens, or 42 cups of coffee, or Parkinson's. Actually, I'll just plan to steer better.

Quick update on the post-Camry Sienna purchase: I paid exactly 3.5% over invoice for an LE with the safety package #7 (side bags, etc.) mats and unwanted "cargo net", plus $3XX ad fee, plus $70 odd in other taxes (?). Don't recall the exact total dollars. Good transaction, fair price, I think. I let a few bucks here or there slide.

Hope your SE comes in soon.
    -keepit
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for the update, too bad the problem is still there! Next time, try on slope up road you would notice the "kick" clearly. Your car has the same date built as mine (built in Japan).
    Is anyone able to understand Toyota's marketing strategies these days? What EXACTLY is a "Standard Camry". The way this Press Release describes it, it sounds like an LE, but cheaper, with no loss of equipment? What? It also sounds like it is still an 04 model, not an 05 just yet. If anyone knows anything, please share.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20040402b
    Apparently, the 2004 Camry (w/o Side Airbags) has been crash tested by NHTSA. The ratings are remarkably different from the Camry's former ratings.

2002 Camry
    Frontal Impact:
    Driver 5 stars/Passenger 4 stars
    Side Impact:
    Driver 2 stars/Passenger 5 stars

2003 Camry
    Frontal Impact:
    Driver 5 stars/Passenger 4 stars
    Side Impact:
    Driver 3 stars/Passenger 5 stars

2004 Camry
    Frontal Impact:
    Driver 4 stars/Passenger 4 stars
    Side Impact:
    Driver 4 stars/Passenger 3 stars

So, for the 2004 model year, in the frontal impact, the driver dummy dropped to 4 stars, despite no engineering changes to the restraint and or frontal structure.

In the side impact, the Driver dummy increase to 4 stars, but the rear passenger dropped AN ENTIRE 2 stars to a 3 star rating. However, I am not aware of any engineering changes to the rear door/and or side beam enginner and construction.

VERY interesting. What gives at NHTSA? I'm not sure why, but the 2004 Camry produced an HIC on the rear dummy that is dangerously high- 999-but I dont believe this is included in the star rating. Odd that the HIC for the rear dummy in the 2002/2003 was in the 470s. (At the time this was not reported on the summary page, but can be still be found on the vehicles detailed and ultra huge PDF file).

~alpha
    Sounds like the same equipment as on my LE for exactly $1,000 less. Seems like they just rolled the $1,000 rebate into the price? Hopefully someone in the know can explain this one.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I was about to post concerning this "standard" Camry? It could be a sales ploy or they just found some way to decontent those models, or like larry said, just a way to put in a certain rebate for those lower end models.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    all they did i think was bring back the camry CE...maybe add a few bells and whistle... probably less padding in the seats or stuff that's not visible to the eye...

accord has it's DX, now camry has it's version.

am i nuts?
    I am uninformed about what the differences use to be between a CE and a LE. Honda leaves a/c off of the DX to lower its cost. With the equipment listed that is on the "standard camry", a/c is included as well as the other major equipment, so I don't see how they could decontent an LE by $1,000. Padding in the seat can't save more than $5.00. I have to believe it is some marketing ploy to undercut the price of the competition.
  • mike1257mike1257 Member Posts: 10
    I'm beginning the the process of searching for a new car (I have an '02 Forester that I'm pretty happy with, and a '94 Nissan Sentra on very expensive life support), and for now I'm leaning towards a family sedan with the usual suspects on top - Camry, Accord and Passat. The Town Hall has been a source of great information in the past (though it's easy to get scared off of any car when you just read about individual problems!)

I'm looking at the '04 Camry XLE V6 auto, and would appreciate any comments regarding members experience regarding performance, reliability and options. Any thoughts about the Navigation System option? Any '05 improvements on the way to make the wait worth it?

Thanks alot. (I realized that I posted this earlier in error in the "problem" discussion; it's more of a general question so I reposted it here)

Mike
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    I like the accord's driving posisiton except that I always read about harsh ride on potholes and RR crossings. How really bad is it? How does the ride compare with the camry?
    I'm wondering if the Press Release for this vehicle was posted incorrectly. I dont understand how Toyota could concurrently offer two trim lines with the exact same equipment, but one have a $1000 lower sticker price. Why would the dealers order/sell the lower priced variant? Something is incorrect.

ral- You're not nuts, but I think youre missing the point that I, coolguy, etc have been trying to make. Its not that they brought back the CE- according the Press Relase it seems like they've reinvented the LE.

~alpha
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I believe that all the usual sites for obtaining used car values are way off when you have a high mileage vehicle.For my LE 99camry,4cyl ,cd,moonroof,
    abs, with 150,000 miles in average condition, recd the following trade in values: Kelly $4200, NADA $4800, Edmunds $4900. I don't think I could get close to that from a dealer or even a private sale. Why are these values so high?
    There are many ways Toyota can decontent the Camry without getting rid of major options and convenience items. The can take an anti sway bar off (like Honda), reduce the number of courtesy lights, use smaller tires/wheels, a more basic fabric, simpler gauges (some cars used to have only a speedo in their base model, no tach), no intermittant wiper, no right hand mirror, and basically a lot of small things. These things may not add up to the money saved, but they still get to have a price leader.

Also there is generally (there was for the CE) a smaller markup on the "standard" model, so although it may sticker for $1,000 less the actual cost may only be $500 less for a similar deal.

One way they get to move people up to the higher models is to make to options available on the standard model, so if you don't want it as is you will need to get an LE.

All speculation, but based on things that have been done in the past.
    Maybe Toyota will make the LE a V6 only model?
    Doesn't sound likely, but I tried!

The right outside mirror is more or less standard now. Rear window defogger/defroster has been standard for years - New York State had required it on ALL new cars purchased after 1/1/78 - so that couldn't be removed.

Don't know how "lesser" a fabric they can go to on the interior. Is it me or do the inserts in the door panels like to grab your sleeve? Can't seem to get the fibers from my coat out without using tape or a lint roller.

Deke
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    It looks like Toyota does not support letting you "have it your way." I asked Toyota about their Preference timeline and got the following:

"We apologize; we are not equipped to take special orders for specific vehicles. Vehicle allocation is based on the geographical area in which they are marketed. Toyota dealerships and distributors are prepared to take your request and make every attempt to obtain the desired vehicle.

If the dealership is unable to locate the vehicle of choice, they may submit a preference request for your desired vehicle. This preference request does not guarantee you will receive the vehicle with the exact options requested, and may create an extended wait-time.

[In regards to Arbitration Agreements] The Gulf States Toyota Region is a private distributor, and may have certain expectations of its' dealerships. "

So it sounds like we are on our own, if we want something different from what is on the lot.

- Hank2
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    (This is from memory)

Will only be available in four colors:
    Lunar Mist, Phantom Gray, Desert Sand, & Black.

Pretty much a mono-spec car, I think there may be one package available. Possibly non-color keyed mirrors also.
    You always drop in with useful info. Thank you.
    Any elaboration on how this model is different from an LE 4 cylinder? I am somewhat concerned about negative effects on resale value of similarly equipped LEs.

Again, thanks.

~alpha
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    there is also no Keyless Entry.

These will be price leader cars. Dealers probably won't even order them with floor mats. For some people it will be exactly what they want, for others that want more options - i.e. power moonroof, they will have to go to the LE, SE, or XLE.

I don't expect it to effect future resale on LE's. But of course I don't have a crystal ball.