Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    That's an easy one when the wife has a harder time with her than I do...

:)
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Knock it off you two! How am I expected to get any online shopping, um, er, work done with you nutz making me fall out of my chair like that?!?

--Deepest apologies for dragging us into the nether-regions of off-topicdom...I swear, my coworkers bribe me with free coffee! That's why I'm like this, it's a curse! ;-P

--javadoc
  • manatee67manatee67 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your input into the MPV. The darn thing is sounding better and better and I haven't even taken my test drive. Am going this week. With the responses I have gotten this should not only be fun but well worth the $$. We only have two kids and they aren't very big...yet, so hopefully this will be able to grow with us. We aren't having more but, their interests will expand I am sure. Do you have the entertainment pkg.? Does anyone? I would like to know how nice and clear etc. it is. Dealers aren't the best people to ask, as it is their bread and butter we are dealing with so I really do appreciate the responses to my plea for help.
    Thanks again, and any other little tidbits you can tell me about will be great. How about your a/c under heavy loads? This may sound like stupid ? but when we go on these long trips (20 hours) to grandparents, it is through hot south and smoky mtns. so traveling w/ nice,reliable, cold a/c is always neccessary.
    Thanks again, will check board later for any feedback.
    manatee67
  • turboplexturboplex Member Posts: 2
    I was a mini-van owner prior to 1997. I bought a car in 1997 and I am now considering going back to a mini-van. To me, the MPV offers the best package. I did 3x road tests recently (3x different new 2001 MPV vans) and on every occasion I truly felt a small vibration in the steering column, almost as if the engine was struggling on the highway. Have any 2001 MPV owners noticed this?
  • rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    The one thing this car doesn't do is struggle on the highway. The first time I had it out on the interstate I wondered why everybody was moving so slowly. I looked down and saw that I was doing 15mph above the limit--and the engine sounded as though it was loafing. The way the van is set up, it gets most of its hp above 40mph.

I too got an almost imperceptible vibration--not in the column, but in the wheel--between 55 & 70. The only reason I even noticed it was because I'd been reading this forum and knew to look for it. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all. The next day, also because I had read this forum, I checked my tire pressure and found that all four tires were set to almost fifty lbs. I dropped them to 35, and the problem went away. This may have been what you were feeling.

RJ
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    After driving and drivetrain warmed up, put in P or N, shutoff the engine, wait a few seconds (say 5s), restart the engine. Now drive forward, within 2-3 seconds, there is brief mechanical sensation on the gas pedal together with a noise. Anyone notice or know what this is?

It doesn't showup when drivetrain is cold! It looks like some kind of interlock, but then why only when drivetrain is warm.

As cars get more complicate and computerize, it would be nice for car manufacturers to indicate what is normal behavior on the owner manual.

turboplex: I test drove 3 also, the 1st new one I don't recall any vibration, maybe I wasn't paying attention. The 2nd new one was very bad, it was shaking, probably a true wheel/balance problem. The 3rd one was the purchasing dealer's shuttle van, it had a slight rumbling on the steering wheel above a certain speed. My 4 weeks old 01 MPV, has a very small/slight rumbling effect above 70kph. The interesting part is that it doesn't get worst as speed climbs, also the effect comes and goes, even at the same speed. So I am not sure it is wheel related, perhap it is feedback from the road surface condition. Complained to the dealer and Mazda Canada, dealer said that is MPV's firm suspension setting characteristic, lets you feel the road ... normal. I am monitor this issue. Also, some people may treat slight rumbling as shake, which is not the same. Nevertheless, there is something there, just have to determine whether it is normal or not!
  • ircairca Member Posts: 2
    Since purchasing our '00 LX last November, we have only had good experiences with the van, except for one thing that became more annoying as time went by. This sound reminded me of a buzz saw, a high pitch humming audible only upon acceleration. Thinking that something metal was vibrating, when I took it in for its 3000m checkup, the dealership determined that the exhaust heat shield was the cause for the humming sound. They checked to make certain that it was secured, which it was, and said the engines vibration carried to this metal shield and it vibrated. No other MPV owners have come in with a similar case, so maybe its just us.... Since that checkup the humming has been reduced if not already eliminated. Just wanted to pass this tidbit along to anyone who experiences the same......

FYI..I've been keeping track of gas usage, and so far its averaged 19MPG, mostly city. Our first road trip won't be until summer, loaded with 2 kids and stuff, hope it can get that much!
  • turboplexturboplex Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for both your comments they will help a lot in finalizing my decision regarding the MPV.
    I noticed that highway MPG was greatly affected by speed on our 3000 mile trip last summer. All through California I did about 85mph and averaged about 20 MPG. When I hit Oregon I had to drop down to 65mph and my mileage went over 24. It may also have to do with gasoline formulation, but the speed played a big role as well.

• cdharvcdharv Member Posts: 2
    May be having transmission problems with the 2000 LX. Shifting between gears can be hesitant and rough when it tries to catch up with my intended acceleration. Also, when I engage the overdrive, my RPM's increase significantly. For example: going 70mph the RPMs will be about 2500, when I engage the overdrive, the RPMs will go to 4500. This goes against my limited knowledge and experience with overdrive. Shouldn't the RPMs decrease.

I have taken the van in for a checkup. They say the transmission is fine and that the increase in RPMs during overdrive is the way it is designed.

Any input or ideas? Thanks.
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    That is how the OD works. The RPMS do dramatically increase. Ours shifts a bit rough also but they say its fine. I even had them keep it over night to do the pressure checks on it.
    Hmmm...it seems that you may be mistaking the engagement of OD with the disengagement of the OD. The OD is normally on unless you push the button on the end of the shift lever. You shouldn't have much need to use the OD-off switch unless you are driving in hilly or mountainous areas.

Concerning the rough shift, is this when you downshift for passing, etc?

• cdharvcdharv Member Posts: 2
    So, the overdrive is normally on? When I push the button on the end of the shift lever, the OD lights up on the dash.

The rough shift and delay is definitely more pronounced when I try to accelerate quickly for passing. However, there is some annoying roughness while accelerating from a stoplight.
    cdharv, the light on the dash is the OD-off indicator as it is labeled.

On some early 2000 MPVs, the trans seemed to have a faster shift(i.e. more abrupt) than the later models. I have had two 2000 MPVs and I noticed a big difference in the shifting between early and late production. I actually prefer the harder, quicker shift for power reasons, but that's just me.

Maltb,

Do you know if the Mazda tranny has any learning functions (fuzzy logic?) built in, or is it a just normal electronic control?

I personally love the shifts (once warmed up) of the tranny (early '00 model). When you stab (not floor) the loud pedal at 30-40, it double-steps down from fourth to second with a direct feeling that puts ya right in the meat of the torque curve, just above 4000rpm. I guess describing a slushbox as direct is an oxymoron, but what the hey.

I've never really driven with the o/d off, so don't have any experience there.

--javadoc
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My 2001 runs at 3100RPM @ 70mph w/OD on. I noticed #911 post was running @ 2500 at the same speed. Anyone else out there with a 2001 running at that speed and RPM? 600 RPM isn't a huge difference but indicates a differential change or misreading the gauge.
    Need input (didn't that line come from some movie...?)
    Doc,
    If that were the case you would have guides on how to tune your car as you drive like the cheaters guides for Playstation games. I can see it now..."EPA arrests drivers for teaching their cars smog tricks."

The MPV is like my wife, I can't change her but I'm better for learning to live with her.

Maltb,

Can I key in the "God" cheat-code then? There'd be no door dings or collision damage, and I could mess with the power, handling, aerodynamics models, lol! Hey, all it takes is a little c++ knowledge...

--j
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    How About...

In java of course

MPV mrsTbonersRide = new MPV();

TB
    I couldn't put a bunch of these in one message, so I'm doing one at a time.

mrsTbonersRide.refuel();
    mrsTbonersRide.detail();
    and...

mrsTbonersRide.oilChange();
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    I really should refrain from calling Mazda automatics "slushboxes"; there's very little about them that's slushy. Maybe it's the accumulator design, maybe it's the solenoid timing, maybe it's Maybelline, but they all seem to have fairly firm shifts - even the Ford box in the four-cylinder 626.
  • dbs2001dbs2001 Member Posts: 46
    bob57 Re #917. My '01 also runs at 3100RPM @ 70mph w/OD on.

maltb re 910. I'm sure speed had much to do with your mpg difference between CA & OR; however, it might also be the MTBE in our CA gas.

Dennis
    Stop it TB, I'm gonna snort coffee out my nose...

You forgot...

mrsJavadocRide.supercharger();
    Just changed the oil. Didn't notice a K&N oil filter before, there is one now!!
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    java,

When you are fed up with MPV, do you do it like:

CDealer someDealer = system.GetNearestDialer();
    mrsJavadocRide.Trade(someDealer);

Or you would just prefer:

mrsJavadocRide.destroy();

Or even:

delete mrsJavadocRide;

??? :-)
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Late to the game, but I can't resist:

MPV Maxine = new MPV();
    Maxine.gc();
    // You'd be amazed at how much junk these vans hold!
    I was thinking that the base class Vehicle has the following constructors.

class Vehicle {

public Vehicle (Vehicle tradein, Dealer sellingDealer) { ... }

public Vehicle (Dealer sellingDealer)
    { ... }

public Vehicle (Vehicle privatePartyBuyer, Dealer sellingDealer)
    { ... }

}

}

Of course in Java you could simply do the following

mrsJavadocRide = new Vehicle(yourFavoriteDealer);

and let the built in gc collect the old vehicle when it is dereferenced.

But then let's not get into the discussion about object oriented cows and farmers. I really don't want to get into who performs the milking. Where does the milk method belong, with the cow or with the farmer?

TB
    It'd be:

mrsJavadocRide=new Vehicle(AnchorageMercedesAMG)

that'd be it...and I dunno about the farmer/cow debate, just as long as some of the milk gets to the coffeeshop!

--javadoc
    Hey Mazda!

We need the following "class" MPV

public class AWDMPV extends MPV {

public boolean AWD_DRIVETRAIN = true;
    public boolean HAS_STICKSHIFT = true;

public void activateAWD() {...}
    public void disableAWD() {...}
    public void enableAutoAWD() {...}
    public void disableAutoAWD() {...}

}

Ok, time to go back to watching hockey.

Go Blues!

TB
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    TB,

This is *way* off-topic, but the farmer has the milk method. Some farmers milk by hand, and others use that octopus-looking machine to milk. The only stipulation for the cow is that it must implement the Udder interface. :)

(obligatory MPV content)
    How many object-oriented cows do you think could fit in the MPV?
    I guess it all depends on what MOOvie is playing on the RSES.

Dave
    I believe that cow must have a public milk method, implementing the Milkable interface.

This way, the farmer can invoke that method on any Milkable, such as Goats, Cows, whatever.

MPV content, you can take your milk home in an MPV, which BTW implements the Driveable interface :)

TB
    I have either been listening to toooo much Queen and banging my head against the drivers pillar, or I have fallen into the code scripting bulletin board. Where or where is my "MAZDA MPV problems" board!!!!!

Ohh and back on topic. Have you checked the alldata site for the TSB on the MPV. It only has three! Is that amazing or what?? There has to be more after two years on the market.
    msgjvh,

Yes,

Must be the MPV implements both the Reliable and Quality interfaces :)

Ok, I'll stop now.

TB
    Look at this!
    Cut and pasted from Alldata site while looking into the Ody.

"IMPORTANT NOTICE

American Honda Motor Company has requested ALLDATA to deny
    access to Acura and Honda repair information. Effective immediately
    you will not be able to register for access to Acura or Honda vehicle
    repair information, technical service bulletins or recalls."

Why would a reputable company such as Honda want to block information that all others have offered up? This alone would prevent me from purchasing an ODY. Even I know its not that bad of a van to hide its faults!!! SHEEEESSSHHHH.
    Is it just me, or did alldata have the MPV listed with a "4-2.5L SOHC" engine? How odd, I was pretty sure there were two more piston thingies on the MPV...heheh

Msgivh,

Where's that notice on their site? I wanted to send it to an Ody-owning buddy of mine, pretty please.

--javadoc
    msgjvh,
    People I know at Honda have said that they are tightening up things all the way around. Some info that I get from them now comes "unnoficially".

Java,

It was posted under the 1999 Honda Truck Odessy LX site. ALLDATA post its vans as trucks I believe. But that is where I found it. Here is the link.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/67/996705AE.html

Malt,

Tightening up security too. I take it they have learned how to practise Operations Security (OPSEC) from the Army. Loose lips sinks ships, especially leaky ones.

• gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST !

Yes ! If found rust on all four window frames of my 1 1/2 yr old MPG !!! But mostly on the rear frames. All tiny spots that, if not treated quickly, will tend to grow very fast... Will surely not do this myself... Imagine: on a 1 1/2 yr old car !?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY !!

Silver (Rusty and Angry) Driver
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Hi Silver (Lost for a Long Time) Driver,

Could you specify where exactly have you located the rust? I guess this is our saulty Canadian winters. Mine is only 8 months old and I just wanted to check it for any sign of changing color from silver to brown :-)
    I went to that link and was smacked with a pop-up about Honda/Acura's request. IMHO, that's so strange that HondaCo would do that. Must be the ultra-conservative legal department stepping in over there. I'll bet there's some lawsuits out there concerning some Ody owners, but that's pure speculation, mwuahuahuahuahauhua.

Silver (whereyabeen?) Driver,

Could the spots be caused by Acid Rain? Maybe? Do describe them...are they tiny things, dime sized (heaven forbid)?

--java
    What's road salt?
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    *snicker*
    Post your home address and a whole bunch of us will send you some for research purposes.

Dirtyrottenrackenfrackin#x`^#$!*&!

:>)

RJ
    I'll be in his neck of the woods in three weeks...I'll hand deliver some...and a 100quart cooler of snow and have a big snowball fight, Mwuhahahahahahah.

It's okay, we don't get to see/taste/chew the air we breath...
    I'm not so sure I'd do that, Doc--the snowball fight. He can hurt you a lot worse with the air he throws than you can hurt him with the snow.

Snicker at us rust-belters, will you, Maltb?

BTW--It snowed in Pgh. today, dang it!

RJ
    Umm, it's cloudy in So Cal. today...does that count?

• blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    Cloudy, huh? I feel your pain.

I was in Southern Cal. for a month back in 1984 for a stake race at Los Alamitos Race Course. We stayed in a motel nearby, and were there for about 2 weeks, when one day we opened our room's door, and were staring directly at mountains!! We couldn't believe it. The weather had been mostly sunny, with blue sky, yet we never were able to see the mountains until the wind blew the smog away. Unbelievable.
    You all just keep believing that this place is full of smog and we have earthquakes, black-outs and wild fires every other day. These PR ploys work great for keeping most away, but darn it, the census shows that we still have some work to do. Hmmm, we need a tidal wave...

• blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    My story was no joke. That really happened! I know that was back in my "partying days", but my boring roommate was my witness. :)

The mountains were in view for a couple of days, and then gone again.
This discussion has been closed.