Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    mngolfermngolfer Member Posts: 18
    Dealer found code for loss of prime, which basically is fluid pressure in the transmission not being high enough. Apparently the transmission fluid was a little low. The TCM was also reflashed with new code and transmission was "quick learned" and then road tested. Transmission shifts fine now. Wait and see if the new code is the final fix.
  • Options
    Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    DustyK...Thanks for bringing attention and some clarity to the post by carbuff1. Most of us that follow the transmission issue know that at least SOME of the failures are attributable to improper maintenance and fluid use.
       About a year ago I took my Intrepid to a local "Pep Boys" style automotive shop that had been doing my maintenance for years. I left EXPLICIT instructions with BOTH service managers to be sure to use ATF+4. I even left the local Dodge dealers number to facilitate their ability to get the fluid. When I returned I noticed that the service bill said ATF+3. I called my Dodge Service Manager who instructed them to PUSH the car back in--drain the ATF 3, flush the tranny with ATF+4 and then refill it with the proper fluid.
  • Options
    ohvanohvan Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2003 T&C EX with 19,000 miles. Just recently started to experience the hard downshift. It usually occurs when coming to a stop after travelling at about 25+mph. Judging from some of the earlier posts this may in "unsolvable" problem. We also have a two to four second delay when shifting into reverse from a cold start. This has been the case since the van was new. Any thoughts on possible solutions would be appreciated. Otherwise, anyone want to buy a 2003 T&C EX w/ leather, 19,000 miles for fair price? I don't have time for multiple trips to a dealership only to hear the" we can't duplicate the condition."
  • Options
    rinfantinorinfantino Member Posts: 5
    My '02 Voyager had a transmission meltdown at less than 24k. I was on vacation and the day before returning, I noted problems. Blamed them on the new brakes/rotors and calipers I just had replaced that week. The day I returned, the tranny disintegrated. Dealer said it was one of the worse he had ever see.

This is my third chrysler van - and probably my last. It is my wife's and she is pretty easy on them. We are now out researching other makes and will buy this week. She does not want another DC vehicle since she feels they don't back up their products. I just hope my Jeep holds up.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    OK, folks: I'm looking for some expert advice

I have a 96 Grand Caravan with 160,000 miles on it. Put in a new tranny about 50k miles ago. Yesterday the tranny goes. Today they tell me $1650 to put a new (probalbly a re-built) in.

Just did a new air conditioner compressor about 500 miles ago (kicking myself).

My problem is, my new car (to replace the van) will not show up for about 6 weeks, so what do I do in the interim if I DON'T fix the van?

renting is gonna cost me over $1600 (for an econobox)

if I fix the van, I MIGHT get that money back when I sell it......(I know I will get SOME of it back)

grrrrrrr

I know some folks have been through this before.....so your ideas are welcomed.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    hmm....anyone wanna buy a 96 GC for parts?

:-)

I'm not sure if I am kidding.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Find another '96 with bad head gaskets and make one good van out of them....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I'm pretty much set for buying the 2005 TC Limited. I'll probably never tow, but does anyone think having the towing package (that includes transmission cooler) will help lower probability of transmission failure?
  • Options
    jtheronjtheron Member Posts: 24
    I was wondering the same thing when we went to buy our 2004 T&C, I was told that the trans should not need the cooler if you are not going to pull with it I heard that they should not fail because of the heat with just regular use. I was told by my father-in-law that the trailer tow package gives a harsher ride and he did not like it also said the rear air shocks are very expensive if they need to be replaced. We ended up not getting the option. Good Luck to you
  • Options
    masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    I don't think the transmission cooler will help since you will not being towing with your T&C. From what I've read here in Town Hall on the trans. issue with the Dodge/Chrysler, most problems seem to be effecting the 1999 and back minivans. Most of those trans. problems was do to not using the right trans. fluid. Also, I heard that the engine compartment was so tight that the heat couldn't escape which caused a lot of problems too. I believe those problems have been solved since the redesign of the trans. in the 2001 redesign. (Even though some have had some problems since the 2001 redesign). But time will be the true test as to how reliable they really are.
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The implication in your message is that Chrysler would not warranty a '02 transmission with 24K on it. Is that correct?

Dusty
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I think I have changed my mind thanks to the Edmunds forums.

1) It is interesting that of all the Dodge caravan forums the top three all deal with problems of some sort.

2) I just found out my brother had to fix the tranny twice on his 98 van with only 60K miles.

3) The bumper to bumper genuine Chryler 7/75 no deductible warranty is about $1700 for a new vehicle, $1800 for a 2003. Is it ironic that this is the cost of one tranny repair? Conversly my 2002 Camry 7/75 bumper to bumper no deductible warranty through Toyota was only $690.

You would think that after all these years Chrysler would have been able to indentify the probelm and correct it? Or is this how they keep their dealer service in business?

It's too bad because the van is roomy, comfy, gets decent gas mileage, is easy to drive and quite cheap. I guess Chrysler goes by the philosphy of 'sell it cheap; get back the money on repairs'.

I am very disapointed!
  • Options
    I have been told the tranny is no longer a problem with vans made after 2002? How does anyone know since the mileage on these suckers is still low. We really will not know for another year or more.
  • Options
    It is interesting that of all the Dodge caravan forums the top three all deal with problems of some sort.

It looks like the most active current Caravan discussion is the Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans one.

Maybe you should count posts and compare to sales over in Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems while you're at it.

If you like Toyotas, the Sienna doesn't seem to have too many problems now that the sludge issue has been addressed.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Well, our '96 Caravan is doing well with no transmission failures, now at about 76k miles. DC standard warranty on engine and drive train is currently 7 years-70K miles. No need for an extended warranty on those components, in my mind.
    I don't believe in extended add on warranties anyways. Save the money for repairs which you most likely won't need anyway.

Never try to correlate Edmund's number of posts with actual reliability. Way too unscientific.
  • Options
    masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have an 01 GC EX with little over 49,000 miles. We have had no trans. problems and I don't suspect that we will. You are correct about the extended warranty costing $1800. (That's what we paid for ours since we bought it used). If you look at all of the problem forums here in Town Hall, you will see lots of problems for all makes and modules. Some big and some small. From what I've been reading, the Ody. has been having more problems with there 1999 thru 2002 modules trans. then the Dodge/Chrysler 2001 to 2004 modules. I suggest you read up on all of the problem forums before you make your purchase.
  • Options
    whit441whit441 Member Posts: 1
    My 98 GC blew the head gasket at 57,000 miles. Over $1500 to repair. At 60,000 transmission blew another $1500. I'm very dissapointed in this van. Just sold it and got a Toyota. I was tempted to get the GC again now that it comes with the stow N go. Would definitely suggest to anyone buying a GC to get the extended warranty. I am very happy with my Toyota. Won't buy another Dodge again.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Toyota reliability is outstanding. 1970 Dodge van was the worst vehicle I ever owned. The automatic transmission was one of the few items that never broke.
         However, my son loves his 2002 GC Sport that now has 34K miles on it. My wife's Toyota Corolla wagon is very reliable but not comfortable for long trips.
  • Options
    I think since nearly 35 years have passed, your experience with a 1970 Dodge van is really not of much impact concerning todays vehicles. Or should I complain about how my 1977 Buick needed a tuneup every 10k miles and only got at best 17 mpg on the highway?

Face it, the quality/reliability gap has closed so much now that it should be beginning to not be an issue, however it still is because perceptions, once established are hard to change. I admit, I am guilty of this myself.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    ...those ultra reliable 1970 Toyotas? NOT!

The fact is that with the millions (literally) of DC MiniVans on the road, statistically speaking there have been very few problems. Last year my wife and I had decided to trade in her 1998 GC Sport for a new 2003 GC ES, however, when the new ES came in we decided to pick it up AND keep the 1998 as well. Why? Simple, because it has been so reliable. So far, with nearly 90K miles on the clock, its only unscheduled repair was a dead battery at about 50K miles. Now, maybe I'm just being an apologist for DC, however, I think that that qualifies as a reliable vehicle. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I sense some brand loyalty there...did not mean step on any toes.

1) I have posted several times in the generic Caravan forum. I seldom get a response. I seldom see new responses. Funny one post in this forum though provokes several. It shows what people are reading.

2) Honda DOES have a tranny problem (and an issue w/CRVs catching fire.) Still I bet they resolve there problem in months not a DECADE!

3) I bought the Camry after a poor experience with a Merc and the fact that the Taurus/Sable was due to be replaced. Sludge WAS a concern at the time (thats when Toyota was still denying it was an issue) so I got a new 2002 with a supposed sludge free engine. Time will tell. The car is great except for some rattles.

4) While our experience with Chrysler has never been great (Sundance/Neon) I really like the Dodge caravan for reasons mentioned in posts above.

You see Steve, I am an equal opportunity offender. I do not think any one brand is as good or as bad as perceived. However in this case it does appear Caravan owners do seam to have an abnormal amount of tranny problems. And it still appear the Problems or Tranny forums gets way more hits than the generic topic.

Do Chryslers sell more than Hondas. Hell Yeah. They should since they cost anywhere from $4k to $10K less. Does this mean just because the Caravan is cheaper it rides less comfortably, accelerates slower, offers less amenities? Thats what that forum is all about, I bet it does beat the Honda in many comparisons.. Does that mean I want to buy a van with a tranny that may need replacement 3 or 4 times over its life. No way!

I still ask the question, what is it about the tranny that makes it so trouble prone.

No offense intended....
  • Options
    I drove an '89 Voyager for ten years and the tranny was rock solid. The head gaskets weren't so good.

I think perception is a lot of it. I had an awful '74 Volvo and I've never considered getting another, so I've been carrying that bias around for 30 years now.

My brother's '00 Caravan seems to run fine, and it's as comfy as my '99 Quest and has a few more bells and whistles.

So I'd buy another DC van and almost wound up with one in '98 instead of the Quest. I'd sure research the problems discussions and the JD Power ratings etc. while shopping, but what I read around here tells me that DC trannies aren't any worse than a lot of others. Honda's may be the most problematic right now, and the MPV's had a lot of hard 2-3 shift issues until recently.

Cars really are a whole lot better than they were when I got my license back in '68.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Still I bet they resolve there problem in months not a DECADE!

Ummm, did I miss something? I thought that the Honda tranny problems have been in existence for quite a few years and may still not be solved.

Our current neighborhood has more than its fair share of Hondas. In fact, it is the single most common marque on our street with something like 9 of the 21 cars being Hondas. As it turns out, we are the only household on the street with small children that doesn't have either a Volvo wagon or some kind of a Honda. Instead, we have bucked the trend and have two Dodge GCs and a BMW (most of the other toy cars on our street are from MB). A little informal polling has revealed that of the 9 Hondas (either Accords or Odysseys), 8 of them have automatic transmissions. Of those 8, 3 cars have required a total of 4 transmission replacements (our neighbors' Oddy has needed two). On the other hand, the combined mileage between our two Caravans is well over 100K, and as I said before, the only unscheduled repair has been the battery on the 1998.

From where I sit, the tranny failures on the DC vans are more than a little blown out of proportion. We haven't taken it even remotely easy on either of ours. We haven't added oil coolers, or performed flushes ever 90 days, hell, I think the 1998 is still running on the factory fill of tranny fluid. What we have done is drive them in heavy traffic in and around both the NYC and Boston areas, and then to add insult to injury, we then force them to do Soccer Mom duties and trips to the dump/recycling center. Talk about being ridden hard and put away wet.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    "Past reviews on Edmunds.com mention the spotty unreliability of Chrysler and Dodge minivans, but Chrysler seems to have made some strides forward in this area, especially if build quality is any indication of the vans' long-term durability. Our test minivan in particular was tight as a drum. For shoppers still concerned about potential mechanical issues, the company is offering a seven-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty."

Follow-Up Test: 2005 Chrysler Town & Country

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I hope all you guys are right...I just find it interesting that you all hang out here rather than in the generic Caravan arena...maybe I'll reconsider.....
  • Options
    db88db88 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 GC Sport with 97,000 miles. In the last month the transmission has slipped twice. I'm on my 3rd set of tires and 3rd or 4th set of brakes (I'm not sure anymore). Gas fumes were leaking from the tank, Dodge fixed it just out of warrantee for $100. Tomorrow I plan to test drive the 04 Sienna, 04 Odyssey, and the 05 GC. Dodge prices are looking good, but I want reliability. If I buy a GC it will be 3 in a row for me. Or maybe I should keep driving until it goes out and then have it fixed. My mechanic tried to put it in perspective by saying a new transmission will cost about the same as the sales tax on a new van.
  • Options
    It is nearly always cheaper to keep and repair your current ride as long as you are reasonably happy with it, up to a point. Where that point is is very indeterminate, depends on your willingness to put up with downtime for repairs, etc.

You are definitely tougher on brakes and tires than we are on our 96, which is on second set of tires with a lot of tread left at 76K miles and the rear brakes are still original, front brakes were just replaced a few months ago.
  • Options
    At almost 68K miles, had to replace the battery. Head gasket failed at about 35K miles but was repaired under factory warranty. Tires replaced at 60K miles but has still had NO disc pads or drum shoes replaced at 68K miles.
        My son's 02 GC Sport has zero problems at 34K miles.
        Knowing of these and other very reliable Chrysler vehicles is gradually erasing my disgust with Chrysler caused by the most ugly experience I had with my 1970 Dodge van.
  • Options
    Chrysler minivans transmission problems forum started July 17,2000 and now has 557 posts.
          Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems forum started Aug 27, 2002 and now has 614 posts.
          Chrysler has sold approximately 8,000,000 minivans while there are less than 1,000,000 Odysseys sold.
          There are more transmission problems with the Odyssey in half the time and Honda has sold about 12% the total number that Chrysler has sold.
          Appears that Chrysler minivans now have more reliable transmissions than the Honda Odyssey.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    counting posts and dividing by unit sales...doesn't sound scientific to me. was that your point? ;)
  • Options
    Is the the 'new math' I have been hearing about?
  • Options
    klruheklruhe Member Posts: 1
    Just to add to the discussion, the transmission just went out for the second time on my 1992 Caravan and I had other repairs of $800 to $1,200 over the last few months (belts, breaks and electrical). First time for the transmission was in '97 or '98, replaced with refurbished unit. No other major problems on the vehicle with over 225 thousand miles. I was very satisfied with the vehicle and I started looking for a newer Grand Caravan after the second minor repair. I bought a 2004 Grand Caravan with 14,000 miles on it and thought I'd drive the other Caravan until it died. It gave up the ghost (transmission) the day before I closed on the new car. I think reliability on the new Caravans has improved, so I didn't get an extended warranty. It came as certified pre-owned, so there is a little comfort for a while longer.

Most of the miles for the first 8 years were highway with the majority metropolitan over the last 4-5 years. I would still drive the car if I could and I did think briefly of fixing the transmission, but I don't want to push my luck.
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>>I still ask the question, what is it about the tranny that makes it so trouble prone.
    <<<

The question starts with the assumption that Chrysler mini-van transmissions ARE more trouble prone. Unfortunately the number of people that have testified to high mileage trouble free transmission experiences gets completely lost.

If these transmissions were truly "trouble prone" then it would be the result of design. Yet, I know that the majority of Chrysler mini-van transmissions do not have a problem, so obviously something else is going on.

I've written before on this subject. I work for a large business machine manufacturer who currently maintains a national fleet of approximately 10,000 mini-vans from Chrysler, Ford, and GM. In the years that we've had them, only the '97 Chrysler versions had a higher problem or failure rate than their competition.

As I've eluded to many times before the available data that everybody is working with on this subject is highly flawed. There are problems with reporting and with data collection.

The transmissions used across the Chrysler mini-van line are different depending on engine type. People is the transmission repair industry seem to be at consensus that the 3-speed versions are solid as a rock. The later 4-speeds proved to be very reliable as well. The versions that seem to be getting negative attention are the A604 and its descendents, fully electronic, adaptive 4-speeds.

Unfortunately those black dots in the Consumers' Report can't differentiate and hence the perception is that All Chrysler transmission are "bad." The fact that Chrysler version outnumber Honda and Toyota versions by as much as 6-1 makes them susceptible to statistic bias. And since we know by human nature people are more likely to voice a negative opinion than a positive one, reading anecdotal reports on the web is about as unreliable an indicator as one gets.

If you haven't noticed Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna, and others, have had transmission issues, too. I can tell you that my company's Ford Windstars have always had more transmission problems than Chrysler, and in most years the GM Astros and now the Venture series (although much better) have been notable for transmission problems equal to or exceeding Chrysler's.

But only Chrysler seems to be getting the vast majority of the transmission attention!

In my observation I see mini-vans of all types being maintained like cars but driven by trucks. It is not unusual to see any make or model of three year old mini-van with 60-70,000 miles on it, and I think R.L. Polk data backs up the fact that the mini-van segment of the market accumulates mileage quicker and longer. It is not unusual nowadays to see 7-8 people in a mini-van towing a small camping trailer or a couple of PWCs, boat, ATVs, or what-have-you. Mini-vans are, however, basically sedan platforms with stretched and enlarged green houses. Their physical ability to handle and carry more I think makes them susceptible to abuse from both a maintenance and capability perspective.

As far as reporting the current available data is highly flawed. We don't what type problems or the severity is driving the data. It doesn't tell us anything about the demographics of the owners, how the vehicles are driven, how they're maintained, or what other conditions prevail that could have an impact on perceived reliability.

On top of that, no one can ever convince me that the auto data is not blatantly strewn with bias, both intentional and unintentional. When people believe a product is bad, they become psychologically convinced by every negative report, and when they have a problem it serves to amplify there growing perception. Likewise, there are people that believe they drive the best and anything else is going to be something less. Because everyone she runs into -- owner's and non-owners alike -- my wife believes that our Toyota Avalon is a superior car in it's class. Of course we've spent more money on this car in repairs that any two previous cars of any manufacture. Two, yes, two transmission repairs under 70,000 miles, just to name one problem we've had. And Toyota prices aren't cheap, either.

A lie often repeated eventually becomes the truth, as they say, and I believe that the perception of transmission problems with Chrysler mini-vans has become self-fulfilling.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    To me this is a bit like arguing whether cigarettes cause cancer. One can argue the quality of the data and the validity of the interpretation. My point of view is that of a satisfied owner of a '95 Caravan which my wife drives, now with 105.5 K and fewer than average problems. I did add an auxiliary cooler when I bought it 5 years ago, I drain and refill the transmission pan once a year, and I keep it out of overdrive in city driving. I also have pulled a 1700# trailer over Colorado mountain passes.
    That Chrysler tarnished their record regarding transmission reliability is pointed out in the February '91 Consumer Report where they stated the Ultradrive transmission on Grand Caravan and Grand Voyager in their April '90 survey had problem rates of 20 and 19%, respectively. If I'm not mistaken these vans had stamped on the dip stick to service with Dexron AT fluid which was the factory fluid at the time of sale. Soon the reformulated fluid was introduced as one of many steps to reverse what was happening to the owners where the failures were unrelated to service or use but due to inadequately tested new engineering. Looking at CR April '04, the Caravan V6 has above average transmission problems for every year reported '96-'03. Is it scientific. No. Is there better data to look at? Tell me where to look. Roy
  • Options
    Well, like it or not the perception is there that these vans have a flawed tranny. When I think of vans I really don't even think about Ford or Chevy. I think of Chysler, Honda and Toyota. I am not sure why this is but when I ask, many people name these 3 brands. My guess is that they are likely the best of the bunch. Still I do find many many folks who have had tranny issues with their Dodge. It may just be they sell more so there are more folks to run into. All I can say is:

1) The van is less expensive.
    2 Folks do not appear to keep them as long (look in any paper, I can always find many one year old Dodge vans but seldom can find anything newer than a 3 year old Toyota or Honda)
    3) In most surveys I have read in the auto rags, the tranny is shown as a problem.
    4) Dodge charges a heck of a lot more for their extended warranty than Toyota...I have not checked Honda.

and surprising:
    5) The suckers keep selling like hotcakes!

Its all very strange!
  • Options
    Of your comments:

Item 1 True
    Item 2 The one year old ones are likely coming out of corporate fleets and rental car fleets, which DC sells a lot more to than Honda and Toyota. They have more plant capacity, thus use the fleets to absorb any excess capacity. It is cheaper to keep the plants running than shut them down, so fleet sales make a good buffer. Also, you will see more used DC minivans for the simple reason that there are more on the market because the volume per year of new ones is much higher than Honda and Toyota has been.
    Item 3 Transmission issues is more historical problem with older models than recent years.
    Item 4 No extra charge for the standard 70k engine and drive train warranty on current models, so why buy an extended warranty? Extended warranty is a big profit center for the manufacturer and dealers. You don't need it!
  • Options
    Toyota vehicles have been very reliable for me. One Dodge was bad so I have stayed away from Chrysler products.
         My son's 2002 GC Sport is very nice and is noticeably quieter than another son's 2001 Ody EX.
         Perception may not be the same as reality but I now perceive the Odyssey and Sienna to be less reliable than the GC or T&C after reading in many forums in the Town Hall.
         Owners reporting in the Town Hall are more reliable sources to me than un-named, faceless sources used by Consumer Reports.
  • Options
    Count me among the 500,000+ unnamed sources, the subscribers who send in the annual surveys and a $6.00 donation to process the data and keep CR free of special interest advertisers, etc.
       Maybe we should see what Edmunds reviews say comparing these vehicles. We could ask the host to comment on the ratings objectivity as well. Roy
  • Options
    There's a lot of debate about the validity of CR's ratings but I think it's a good reference point. We use JD Power Star ratings and you can find them on the vehicle pages under the Ratings link. Plus the editorial comments are worth a look, especially the long term tests.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    DustyK... First and foremost, thanks for your detailed message. You are, of course, correct in much of what you state. From the issue of data validity to the cognitive distortions people use. One source of data I've found "reasonably" balanced is at the MSN auto site. Long ago when CR was targeting virtually every Chrysler product--MSN proved a more balanced source.
  • Options
    look over a 5 year span (like CR) or just evalute the 'new' model....
  • Options
    The Initial Quality Ratings cover the first 90 days.

The Midterm Reliability Ratings cover 1-3 years.

The Long Term Dependability Ratings cover 4-5 years.

Not all models have all three JD Power Star ratings.

Here's a link for the T&C ratings for example.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    3) The bumper to bumper genuine Chryler 7/75 no deductible warranty is about $1700 for a new vehicle, $1800 for a 2003. Is it ironic that this is the cost of one tranny repair? Conversly my 2002 Camry 7/75 bumper to bumper no deductible warranty through Toyota was only $690.<<

Late reply, but I hadn't checked here in a few days...

The DC vans have a 7/70 powertrain warranty standard, which covers the trans. Not sure why you are looking at the bumper to bumper if you are concerned w/ the trans.

And I don't know where you got your prices from, but I purchased an 04 T&C in February amd the cost of a 7/60 bumper to bumper was $525 (I bought it mainly because of the NAV system, and the fact that it included free service loaners as well as roadside assistance)

The price for 7/75 was about $800
  • Options
    Steve, Thank you for the JD Power link and the ratings including 4-5 year reports. As a first pass summary, the 4-5 year mechanical ratings (from 2-5 with 3 as "typical"), for '96,'97'98,'00 & '01 the Honda Odyssey has 3-5's and 2-4's. Toyota Previa and Sienna('96,'97) have 1-5, 2-4's and 2-3's. Dodge Caravan has 3-3's and 2-2's.
    One can argue no generalization is worth much, however, one does get a sense for which are likely to be below average, mechanically, and which above average. My personal experience with a '95 Caravan has been a 4+ to date but that means nothing compared to these combined data sets. Roy
  • Options
    I called CHrysler and that was their price for a genuine Chryslerbran7/100K bumper to bumper $0 deductibe warranty. I called several dealers and got the same price or higher. Perhaps yours is not a genuine chrysler product?
  • Options
    How does JD arrive at these stats. They appear to be in line with CR is so far as long term reliabilty is concerned. Not so good.
  • Options
    I understand JD Power surveys owners using addresses from registration databases (more random than CR). I've gotten a few surveys over the years - they usually stick a nice crisp dollar bill in with the survey as a thank you.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    No, it's genuine Chrysler. I didn't look at the price for 7/100 because we only put 9-10K on a year...
  • Options
    Well, I am unsure how you got such a warranty, I called some more dealers today and did not come close to the price you stated...unless they padded some $ into the van to make it look like you got the contract extra cheap. In fact I put out a warranty quote earlier this month and got no responses in this price range.
  • Options
    ohvanohvan Member Posts: 26
    Chrysler Dealership fixed the hard downshift and the delayed shift to reverse from a cold start. They replace the transmission pump. It appears to have solved the problem, and at no cost to me. They also provided a warranty replacement of the motor for one of the rear power doors which was making a strange noise while opening. Overall, I'm satisfied. I had my van back in two days and nothing out of pocket.