Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    One convertible carseat (forward facing) and one infant carseat (rear facing).
    Thanks,
    Mitch
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    2 carseats can fit in the 66% of the middle row and carseats can fit in the back row.

It is not difficult to use the 3rd row if you have 2 car seats in the middle, because you simply put them in the 66% section, and the 33% section slides forward without any hindrance.

BUT...... for me, having 2 car seats precludes us from using the 3rd row because...... having 2 cars seats also means having two strollers in the back. I have the BabySmart seat so one is next to me and one in the middle.
  • kingscorpiankingscorpian Member Posts: 16
    Waag sells them. Take a look at mine installed.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1432089&a=12827804&f=0

• robsutsrobsuts Member Posts: 18
    I'm hoping to purchase a 2002 model also. My dealer is telling me that I cannot pre-order yet. My question is whether the new model is worth waiting for?? I was hoping to get a retracting roof type sunroof, but as I read on this board, it sounds like it will not be available with the air curtains in the headliner. I'm contemplating the ML500 .. basically, if you option up a ML320, it seems fairly close (in price) to a base ML430. Anyone have any options on this? Let me know if anyone out there has MSRPs for 2002 models yet. Thanks much - Rob
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Kingscorpian -

Thanks.

Did you install it yourself? If so, was it hard to do?
  • roger23roger23 Member Posts: 48
    I have a confirmed order from my MB dealer for my 2002 ML500 with a Sept. production date. I could of been allocated an August production, but the Parktronic factory option which I wanted was not available til the September production vehicles. Pricing was not yet available.(msrp) Based on the information that I have been able to dig up, for the improvements on MY2002, especially if you want the 5 litre 302hpv8 in the ML500, IMHO, I would go for the 2002 model. FYI, a front brush bar cannot be installed if you get the parktronic option, because of obvious sonic interference with the partronic sensors.
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    FWIW, the X5 is worse than the ML. The ML is also only

3 points worse than the MDX.

http://www.bimmer.org/x5/messages/messages/39970.html

• skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    Thanks to all for you input. Sounds like it is do-able to use the 3rd row, but not that easy on a regular (i.e., several times a day) basis.
  • jim1233yjim1233y Member Posts: 2
    I just traded-in my 98 ML320 with 87,000 miles (bought new in late 97, lots of problems) for a new 2001 ML320 Sport. Anyway, I've noticed several older posts asking about remote starters.

Back in early 1998, I had a DEI Viper remote starter (with extended range receiver) installed. I never had one problem with it. Last week before trade-in, I went back to the aftermarket installer, had them uninstall it, and they will re-install it in my new ML - about $200 for labor.

Part of the reason why opted for the 2001 instead of waiting for the 2002 is because the 2001 ignition/security system is the same as previous. I think the 2002 system is new and may make a remote starter impossible (similar to Jaguar's system).

PS Cheers to this moderated forum. I'm a veteran of the old KII ML-flamer's forum.
  • jim1233yjim1233y Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone replaced the very cheap looking plastic gear shift collar with a leather-trimmed or wood one?

The black plastic collar sandwiched between the nice burl walnut console and gear shift platform is really ugly.
  • sirknightdsirknightd Member Posts: 96
    What will be the improvements and new options in the next ML model?
  • dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    doesn't the ML55 have a leather shift collar ? prob can get it from parts.

dt77
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Yup, the ML55 does have a split leather/wood gearshift knob. However, the ML55 has dark/black burl walnut and the wood won't match with the wood on the other MLs.
    First of all, congratulations on your new ML, and welcome to Town Hall! I too used to be a participant in the KII forum (which are now defunct), and we all know what happened in there!

If you haven't already noticed the link near the top of the page, we have a dedicated M-class owner's club section here in Town Hall. Feel free to have a look around and introduce yourself in the "Meet the members" topic.

We also have a weekly Mercedes-Benz chat every Tuesday at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern. Feel free to drop by and participate in the chat tomorrow evening. The link to the chat can be found in any Mercedes-Benz discussion topic in Town Hall. It's at the top of the page, just under the discussion topic title. There will be chat promos posted tomorrow to remind everyone of the chat several hours before it starts. I hope you can make it!

As for the gearshift knob, you can go with a full burl walnut knob from the ML430 (which still has that black plastic collar), or you can go with a leather wrapped knob from the S-class (which has a chrome collar). Personally, I went with a split burl walnut/Ash Nappa leather knob for the S-class. The new knob is slightly shorter than the original black knob, and I think it looks classier and matches the dash much better. I'll post a picture in my next post.

Precision Auto Designs sells various shiftknobs for MBz so you might want to take a look - near the bottom of the page. I suspect they will have what you're looking for.:
    http://www.precisionauto.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Interior_Appointments_15.html

I hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    The reason why the side steps or running boards cannot be installed with the ML55 or the MLs equipped with the Sport Package is because they include side rocker panel ground effects that block the steps/boards from being installed. You'll notice that getting to the jack mounting points will also require that you pop open an access panel in the ground effect piece; you can actually see this in your current owner's manual as it is meant for the ML55.

If you really want running boards or side steps, it can be done but it won't be inexpensive, I imagine. You will have to remove the ground effects; I don't think the area behind is painted body-colour either, so you will have to do that too as this ML55 owner has done (she had a custom Magma Red paint job, so they just removed the pieces before painting anyway)

I think TeleAid is pretty tightly integrated into the vehicle and even if it was possible to retrofit, it would be cost prohibitive. You're probably better off going with something aftermarket like a Lo-jack, for example. While it won't provide all of the features that TeleAid has, it will have some of them.

Drew
    Host
    You better be careful if you keep on taking these pictures. That guy in the M55 doesn't look very happy. One of these days you're gonna get arrested for stalking :-)
    First of all, it's a lady, LOL! Arrest a fellow M-class owner, nah ;-) One day I'll actually meet the driver while she is out of the vehicle, and perhaps strike up a conversation. I know for sure that she (and her husband) are members of the MBCA.

Drew
    Host

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html
  • dagilldagill Member Posts: 13
    Jim or any folks out there can you pls advice on remote starter, tried getting it done from here in Pa but no one wants to touch the ML. Any info will be helpful.
    thanks
    dave
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    Hmm, how does one tow anything if you have parktronic as part of the option for MY02? I guess you have a button to turn it off?
    Yes, like all of the other MB cars that have the Parktronic option, there will be a defeat switch for disabling the Parktronic. The rear sensors don't turn on until you place the vehicle into reverse anyway, but the front sensors will be active below a certain (low) speed.

Drew
    Host
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    Move over M-CLASS becuse mercedes has another suv which is older and much more luxurious than the M class. Its called the Gelaendewagan (G-Class) and its finally coming to Mercedes showrooms. Base price $72k, SUV version of the S-Class. We need a G-Class message board.
    ...for the "most beautiful off-roader of the year".

In fact most of the MB lineup did well: Check it out:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/autonis.html

Drew
    Host

P.S. Don't forget the weekly MB chat tonight at 6-7pm Pacific!
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    what happened to the chat tonight, no one there and no way to send message.......
    That's odd, there were a bunch of us in the chat as usual this evening! I was wondering why you didn't make your usual appearance. Were you logged in properly? I did notice a number of obsevers tonight; if you don't log into Town Hall before entering the chat you won't get the message box.

I'll report this though, just in case there is something wrong with the chat. We did notice a lag tonight, not just in the MB chat, but the one before that. Feel free to contact me at drew@edmunds.com if you have any problems getting in.

Apologies for the problems!

Drew
    Host
    Wake up! Luxurious? That old thing? That's a some time military vehicle with nothing luxury inside it.

Old engine, but workhorse, Land Rover like in function.

Until now it's been only sold in one dealership in NM or somewhere. Costs $100G.

MB has decided to pretty it up much like what Toyota did to the Land Cruiser before it became a SUV for the rich. Arhnold ditched his Hummer and drives a G-wagon now.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Actually it is quite luxurious. Not in a Lexus way but a S-Class way. And when the do finally import it in a few years it will only be in the 70's

It has the command, and even steering wheel controls, more of what some of us want in the interior of the ML. If I ever buy another SUV after the M-Class that will be the one that I get. I would much rather have the G-than any M-class, X5, or any LX.

Robert
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Robert:
    Have you seen any after a crash? Or have any stats on how well the occupants are protected? The older cars usually don't crumple as much so they don't absorb as much crash energy. Of course, the G's mass is so high that not much can damage it short of an Excursion or moving truck :-)
    BTW, the G's weight is too much for some of the bridges around here ;-)
    They're not importing it in a few years. It's coming to the US and Canada for '02! Yeah, I agree that it's pretty luxurious, and they made a few updates recently too; it now has the C-class/S-class like switchgear and instrument cluster.

Drew
    Host
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I didnt think that it was that soon!I just dont want them to merge the two classes before I get one like the current version. I know a lot of people dont like it because of the industrial look but that is why I like it. Its different from anything on the road, and it is the top-of-its-class truck, all the capabilities, with all the appointments of the MB.

[Plus it can go anywhere a true 4x4 is meant to, not that you would ever think about doing such a thing in West Virginia!!! :) (megasuvowner ].

Its a truck!, not an SUV like the ML, or a SAV like the X5. I hope they dont soften the looks too much.

You can tell how much I haven't been able to keep up with any of the topics. Are they bringing over the convertable as well? So Drew when do we get the new Topic? "MB Galandewagen: The Ultimate 4x4"

Robert
  • gregxgregx Member Posts: 3
    I have 23k on my 00 ML320 and my dealer says that i only have about 15% wear remaining on my front brake pads. i do mostly highway driving and don't drive w/ my foot on brake. this is the earliest i've ever experienced any vehicles needing brakes.

any comments, thoughts?

thanks
    There used to be a G-wagon topic but died due to lack of interest.
    15% after 23K? That's good.

I have 30% left after 10K.

A friend had to get her replaced at FSS-A but she lived on a hill.
    Does anyone else own a Gelaendewagen in here? Just wondering. The G-Wagen is probably one of the most luxurious SUVs out there. I also have an S-Class and the interiors are practically identical. I really like the people at Europa Imports in Sante Fe( even though they ripped me off) because they were very friendly to me and my family, id like to wish them luck, now that they have nothing to sell.

P.S. lets start a g-class message board!
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    From the top of my head, the only one I can remember is bhw he has a GWagen, he has posted frequently in the Hummer section.

Not to change subjects, I was reading an article at http://mbspy.bacosys.be/unimog2000.htm Is about the new Unimogs, in it Mercedes is trying to stop sales decline by making them more civilized and more available to the public.

This only could happen to Mercedes, one of the main reasons of sales decline is due to the fact that the specialty market for Unimogs is saturated because just about ALL of the 300,000 Unimogs ever made are still RUNNING.

I can testify to the fact, I have a 22 year old Unimog that has done some rough work as a construction equipment and rattles less than my ML430

A MB G-class topic was actually created a few days ago. You can get to it via the link below. Feel free to participate in it, of course:

/direct/view/.eeca4f1

Drew
    Host
  • sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Yup, I had mine replaced at Service B (22K miles). The M-class, with it's sophisticated braking system and whiz-bang electronics (ESP, Brake assist, etc) wear brakes faster than many cars/trucks/SUV's.

I think I paid about $220 to have it done.
    Thanks drew for the link to the "secret" Gelaendewagen topic.
    I made that chat room a few days ago, geez im so stupid. Oh well, i was wondering if we could get a G-Class owners forum even though there might only be a handfull of owners in the country anyway, but it could help people who are in the market for a new G-Class.
  • drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    I have owned and enjoyed a 98 ML 320 and 99 ML 430. In order to keep up with BMW, Lexus and others, and to make me interested in buying an '02 ML 500, I expect to see the following updates: Smart Key, Xenon Package, Electronic Dual Zone HVAC, Significant "Soft Touch/Leather/Wood" interior upgrades, Stereo upgrade... Even the entry level C class has all of these features and MORE... When will our beloved ML, which we've supported and been loyal to, grant us these features?? Can anyone comment on these (hopeful) upgrades and inclusions??
    at FSS A, about 10k miles.

dt77

http://fullspeed.to/ml

I'm going to have my fss a this coming tuesday and i'm hoping my brakes are still okay.

dt77, where those 10k miles spent in city driving or was it a mix one?
    I would say a lot of city driving...there is a pic on my site i posted some time ago showing the brake pads. The SA didn't give me a percentage number. The rears almost hit the sensor before I replaced them. Fronts were replaced a few months before that for brake squeal [FOC].

dt77
    Thanks for the response. I'll make sure to have the SA check on my brakes then, so i won't have to hit the sensor before replacing them.

Thanks again.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    I can see y'all are still at it! Good for you. My 00' has 23k on it after 13 months. Wife just drives and drives. Gets about 20mpg. Glad I don't have a suburban which we considered at time of purhase. Only repair made was to change bubbly arm rest cover. we just did the b fss service. Had an 01' ml 320 as loaner with only 4k on it, and I felt no significant difference. The dunlops on it felt neutral, as it made it feel more truck like. WE have the generals, and they felt better. They are needing replacement soon. Im disappointed in its life, but 25k on an 85$ tire is not bad cost. I was wondering if anyone is in love with a particular tire they have?

Few paint chips, the bug guard does ok, winter driving was great, its been reliable, and the bose rocks.

I have seen a G-wagon here in town lately and to me its beauty is certainly not its looks. A land rover discovery looks slick in comparison. No doubt its a very capable at what it does, but I think cost wise, I wouldn't go there. I do like its uniqueness, but I am not in the market for a 70-100k suv, so its a no brainer.

I am very happy with the ML, and the next generation IM sure will be great, with lots of goodies. I long believe that if the ML had the goodies the cars have, it would have priced itself out. IT already prices on the top end of the midsize scale.

I'm surprised that your tires have only lasted this long (or short)! I seem to recall others having a fair bit more mileage before having the Generals wear out.

Regarding replacement tires, the Michelin Cross Terrain tires seem to be a good bet if you're staying on-road only. They also have a pretty high treadwear rating, so that so that will probably help. You may also want to consider the Pirelli Scorpion S/T tires, which also seem to be good, but will wear a bit faster than the Michelins. Both the Michelins & Pirellis are available in the ML320's stock tire size.
    I'm sure you'll be able to get the current G-wagen before its 20+ year run is cancel ;-) However, it may be expensive since dealers will probably mark it up like the CL!