Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf

Comments

• igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Hi
    I'm a happy Honda hatchback owner, and I'm thinking of buying a GOLF hatchback this year. I don't know anything about VW except from friends that drive them, and they all seem to love them. My Mom has a new Beetle and loves it.

My major concern is this: the Diesel engine has me VERY CURIOUS due to the incredible gas mileage they claim it gets. I plan on owning this car well into 200,000 miles. How does long can I expect the TDI engine to last with normal driving habits? Is there any history written about this engine? Does this engine require a timing belt change like other 4 cyl engines? Is this engine worth it, or am I better off in the long run with the 2.0 gas engine? I'd love to obtain some history. Can somebody point me in the right direction? I'm willing to visit any recommended websites and listen to all opinions/history reports.

Thanks!!!!
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    The extra maintenence costs on the diesel easily offset the extra mileage. Plus resale is questionable, particularly is gas prices stay cheap.
  • dlavidlavi Member Posts: 13
    For lots of information and a good place to get any vw questions answered check out vwvortex.com.

I recently got a golf after owning a civic hatch back. My civic was totalled in an accident.
    It is a very different car. It drives better then the civic though the 2.0 is a little under powered.
    However, I am concerned about the long term relialbity. I had one major problem at only 800 miles (car died on the highway) and the car has a lot more squeaks and rattles at 1,500 miles then my civic had at 45,000
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    and www.tdiclub.com

The engine is very robust, and should last you at least 300,000 miles.

Maintenance:
    oil changes: use synthetic oil every 10,000 miles (approx $30), the first two oil changes are done at 5,000 miles.
    Fuel filter: Every 20,000 miles
    Timing Belt: Every 80,000 miles

The 2.0L motor, has a record of excessive oil comsumption problems.

Maintenance is about the same, except you got spark plugs on the gas motor, and occasionally you need to replace the glow plugs in diesels.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    mdriver said- The extra maintenence costs on the diesel easily offset the extra mileage.-end

That statement is incorrect. The maintenance on the TDI is as stated above with 10K oil changes, 20K fuel filter changes and the timing belt every 80K. How is this going to offset the extra mileage? It won't. Plus the TDI has higher resale than gas, not lower. And the history of diesel motors is that they last considerably longer than gasoline motors, and the TDI has been around in US since 1996 so it is a proven motor.

VWVortex is good for information about modding your car but for TDI information the best source is www.tdiclub.com. VWVortex also is tilted toward the 16-25 age group, for whatever that is worth.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    is better to have automatic or manual w/ TDI engine. Wife wants our next car to be an automatic. hope the TDI does well with an auto. Any feedback? Also doesn't the automatic TDI need more frequent timing belt changes? Or has this changed?

Leo
    The auto is better than the manual with TDI except for MPG. Even though many owners will disagree with my opinion I make the statement with the experience of owning a Golf automatic and a Jetta Wagon manual, both TDI. The most important factor is personal preference and if your wife prefers the automatic then you better get the auto. The timing belt change if at 80K for 2002 models, it was 60K for manual and 40K for auto for 2001 and earlier models. The 80K timing belt and change interval is applicable to 2001 and 2000 as long as the improved 80K belt is used.
    and idler pulley

The TDI with the manual is still good are stop & go driving, since it produces enough torque to idle at 5 mph.

It's going to be a personal preference
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    you folks have given me a lot to consider here. looks like there is lots of support for the TDI!
  • paco13paco13 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 99' VW Golf GLS, love it, except I've had to replace sensors four times in three years and the check engine light is on again. First sensor was airbags, two times the 02 sensor, and last time MAF sensor. Have any of you had these problems? This is annoying. Thanks.
    MAF sensor is common
    The price for the 2.0 MAF sensor part # 06A 906 461A is confirmed at $45.00 for a 2.0L GAS MAF sensor. Price was over $200 prior to the reduction in price. FYI in case anyone needs a MAF.
  • paco13paco13 Member Posts: 2
    Yikes! The dealership charged me $366 for the MAF sensor two months ago.
    The price reduction only happened in the last couple of days. Some TDI owners are testing the 2.0 MAF in the TDI as it may be usable in the TDI.
  • leemondoleemondo Member Posts: 4
    Reflex Silver, Monsoon and Luxury package. I fell in love with the car and can't wait to pick it up on Monday. I have to hop a bus, subway train, and then commuter rail to get to the dealer since I have no one to drop me off! :-)

This is my first diesel. I've been trying to read up all I can about proper maintenance at TDICLUB, etc.

The dealer (of course) wants to sell me a $299.00 paint sealant job. Any recommendations for or against? Also, is the 6 disc CD changer worth the bucks (offered to me for $595.00)?

Thanks for any advice!

Lee
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Paint sealer is not needed, since VW covers their cars for 12 years against rust.

The CD changer price is ~$350 and it's very easy to install. $595 is highway robbery!

So no on both cases. :)
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Don't get any of that crap they try to sell you. You'll be fine.

The 6 disc changer for 600 is a rip! I got mine from the dealer for $295 installed.

You have a double din head unit with the new monsoons, so no need for a 6 disc changer.

- Anthony
    This should be covered under warranty right?

adg44:
    THe double din is for the GLS models, with or without the monsoon system. There's always a need for the CD changer, IMO
  • centarforcentarfor Member Posts: 22
    Hi, I am checking out the 2000 Golfs and GTIs. Does anyone know if VW made a Golf in 2000 with the 1.8T or VR6 engine? Was it just the 2.0 110 hp? The GTI is a bit too small with the two doors.
    The 2000 models could have the 1.8T, the 2.0 engine (115hp), or the VR6. The GTI VR6 was the only one with the VR6 though. On the 4-door models, look on the right back corner. If there is nothing there by the right taillamp, it's a 2.0. If it says "TDI", then it's the 1.9TDI turbodiesel engine. If it says "1.8T", then it's the 150hp turbo engine (the best I think).
    Yes, there was a short period when VW put the "AWD" 1.8T in the Golf.

- Anthony
    I bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8T, but was going to get a Golf 1.8T. They stopped making them for 2002 though. That sucks! I think they did it because they could get more money on a Jetta purchase as opposed to the Golf. They had a used 2001 1.8T Golf when I got my Jetta, but I wanted the better warranty (4/50K as opposed to 2/24K basic), so I got the 2002 model. I am also leary of someone trading in a car that's not even one year old, with 13K on it. Not a good sign, unless they were tired of it. No way to know that though, so I went with the new Jetta anyway.
  • bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    "I am also leary of someone trading in a car that's not even one year old, with 13K on it."
    LOL
    "Not a good sign, unless they were tired of it."
    More LOL
    I should talk, because I traded in my 2001 Protege with 20K on it for the 1.8T Jetta I have now. There was nothing wrong with the car, I was just tired of it and wanted the Jetta.
  • crashtestdingocrashtestdingo Member Posts: 81
    Hi, all. I just wanted to tell you about a sticker I saw on a Golf CL (sorry, I don't remember what generation it was) in Athens, Greece. (I got back last week from vacationing in that country.) The sticker said, "This is not a GTI." I wonder if it was supposed to influence car thieves to keep moving, kind of like the "NO RADIO" signs that were prevalent here in New York City.

This reminds me of the Benz some friends of my parents who live in Naples, Italy used to have. The wife told us that since gasoline was so expensive, car thieves passed up the gas-powered ones and went for the diesel-powered ones. So they replaced the diesel-model badge on theirs with a gas-model badge. Gas station attendandants were sometimes shocked to see her pumping diesel into it.
  • sizzla123sizzla123 Member Posts: 18
    Hi all,

I've been driving a Jetta 1.8T for the past year, I love the 1.8T engine. I cant afford the car anymore, so I'm looking at a 2.0 Golf. How much of a step down in performance will this be? I dont race or anything, but I like the way the 1.8T feels and kinda worried that the 2.0 will be HUGE step down.

Thanks
    It's a huge step down. Keep the 1.8T
    I am driving a 2.0 Beetle right now as a loaner, and have driven a 2.0 Jetta before as well. They are SLOW compared to the 1.8T, and they also sound like a lawnmower. The 2.0 engine is not a good one from what I have heard either, with an oil drinking history. Keep the 1.8T. You will lose alot in trading such a new car as well. Not worth it.

To save a little money, you can use regular gas instead of premium. Don't know how much that will help, but every little bit counts. Good luck. :)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I have the 2.0 with stick and it is very peppy, with a lot of acceleration at freeway speeds due to its low gearing. Gas mileage has averaged 28 mpg for me based on a 30 mile commute that is 15% street and the remainder freeway (with some stop and go sections).

Best is to test drive one first.

As to the oil drinking, I have to put in a quart every 1500 miles, which I do not consider excessive (I was always told German cars are designed to consume some oil - to keep the rings and valve stems lubricated). Consistent oil usage is not a problem. Being against it is a prejudice that dates back to the era when an oil user was on its last legs - American cars would start out using little oil, but then soon start burning it, which was the sign of the engine giving up. Japanese cars were so "tight" they never burned any (visible) amounts of oil. Anyway my car has used the same amount of oil since day one, and I now have 30,000 trouble free miles on it. I just figured it was why you could have 10,000 mile oil change intervals - it's not really the same oil in the pan anymore, by the end of the cycle. (I change oil every 3,300 miles to stay on the 10,000 mile maintenance cycle at the dealer, and I use Mobil 1 5-30.)

Finally, it takes a higher grade of catalytic converter to deal with oil consumption. Ford, in contrast, has an oil spec that is based on lower oil consumption to protect the lower grade materials in its catalytic converters....
    FUEL ECONOMY

that's the only reason.

It's driven by the raising in CAFE standards for manufacturers. With the dismal fuel economy of many of the Ford Trucks, they needed to raise the fuel economy across the board to bring up the average. There's no redesign in the engines to accomodate the thinner oil. Just some testing that shown no drastic reduction in reliability.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    unfortunately, trucks and cars aren't averaged together for CAFE. So thining out the cars doesn't do a thing for the trucks.
    It's still fuel economy, at least that's why some Ford engineers say
    If you go from the 1.8T to a 2.0L.....

Find another way to cut your costs. After you figure out the loss in trade in and getting into another car, it probably isn't worth all your trouble.

Who needs to eat anyways! :D

- Anthony
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Hi,

My friend has a 1997 Golf GL and recently both the fuel gauge and dashboard lights don't work. Any ideas? Could this be a fuse issue? Or could both lights burn out and the fuel gauge go bad, all at once?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • herod2221herod2221 Member Posts: 1
    i'm not sure how it works in VWs, but i had a pontiac grandprix and the lights went out on the dash and climate control panel. turned out it was all one light unit, so the whole thing had to be replaced.
    I would check the fuses if I were you. It explains on the panel what each fuse is for. Just pull them out and check them.

- Anthony
  • enthuenthu Member Posts: 4
    I have a MY (Model Year) 99 Golf GLS automatic 2.0L, based on A4 platform--99 Golf has two platforms and the new one is A4. No, not Audi A4.

I had a few minor problems initially, including windshield washer fluid leakage, which I fixed by reconnecting the hose to the nozzle: you can take off the plastic covers on inner side of the hood and see the nozzle. Other problems were AC failure due to loose hose (easy fix by dealer) and 'check engine light' when Mobile's low octane gas was used--the dealer says VW doesn't seem to like that gas. Huh...? Bizzare. When it happened, it shorted out the mass air flow sensor temporarily but it seems okay now. The dealer job to replace the sensor would have cost me $200, so I opted out to wait for further monotoring. VW has extended 'partial warranty' (they pay 50% on fix) on this item, so I suspect this happens a lot. You can buy the sensor online at about $40 and replace yourself: it's the little thingy attached to the intake just before the air filter. But you may have to reset the PCM, which normal customers like us can't because we don't have the equipment. Yup, that's how the dealers rip off us.

Oh, one more (yes, VW isn't as reliable as Toyota). My Golf's temp gauge fluctuates from zero to 180 F like roller coaster, even during 85 mph. Just a misreading, I reckon. No more warranty, so I don't bother taking it into a dealer. I don't think the engine management read off the temp from this gauge anyway.

Besides those troubles, I love this car. I guess it's a small price to pay to get a useful and stylish fun to drive car. Now I have 27,000 miles on this little fellah, I am thinking of getting another one when the new model comes out next year, this time with manual transmission. It's going to have real cool high speed wiper blades, the same kind used by Mercedes S class. This is why I love VW! How cool is that!

Happy driving!
    99 was the first year. Another post why not to buy the first year of a vehicle. Too many problems not figured out.
    The first year car does have more problems; it's almost natural. No lab testing can simulate 100% real world.

One correction to my posting: Mass Air Flow sensor is installed just after the air filter (i.e., closer to the engine), not before. The sensor is sold at $45 at www.vwparts.com, and the dealer price is $100 (crooks!). Ironically, the 'check engine' light came on today. The dealer will charge another $100 for module reset, and $20 for road test. I may just buy the sensor at $45, and see if I can have a local shop mechanic reset the module with his equipment. No way he will charge $100 for that.

Fun never ceases.
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    is the Golf more reliable than a Jetta? fewer problems? etc..
    I would not think so. It's easier to get reliablity info on the Jettas, because they sell better.

The Golf and Jetta are the same car, however. The only difference is the Jetta (sedan only) is built in Mexico, and the Golf in Brazil.
  • alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    lists Golf as slightly better in expected reliability than the Jetta, based on repair records. Both are in the 'average' band, according to CR, with the Jetta slightly below center, and the Golf right on the average line. (This is from memory - my CR April issue is at home.)
    FYI, I found out that VW lowered the sensor price dramatically for '99 model (newer body style) and after, down to about $54 dealer price from about $300. This proves again that they are having lots of problems with this part.
  • gonas1gonas1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Golf Coupe. I found that after I brought the forward, it could not be returned to a latched or locked position. I could sit in the seat and it would be pressed-down by my weight. However, in the event of a sudden stop or collision, the seat could be forced forward. Not a safe position to be in!!

It turns out that a 2" piece of metal that activates the latch that should be vertical has been bent to a 90 degree angle. It is not a fragile part. We also can't identify how this may have occurred. The dealer's solution is to replace the entire seat frame. Estimated cost is $500!!

I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem or is aware of this being a problem. I'm concerned there is a design flaw that could become a potentially a significant safety issue.

Any feedback would be helpful.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Gonas1, are you talking about the "walk in" feature on the newer Golfs - where the whole seat lifts up to allow easier access to the back seat on the two door models?

If you are, I noticed this weekend, when I was driving two other people around, that my girl friend was not pushing the seat back down before sitting on it. She was using her weight to push it down. I remembered your email, and wondered if a heavy person threw themselves on the seat, maybe this would bend something since the seat is not that strong when it is in the "up" position, released to allow "walk in". I think it is important to return the seat to its normal position before sitting on it.

If you are talking about front back motion, to adjust distance to the pedals, I can't help you.
  • jobotjobot Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking about making an offer on a 2001 Golf GLS 4-door. I've got a past issue that's got me paying higher insurance rates.

I had looked at a couple Proteges, but didn't end up getting one. I know what insurance rates are for late-model and new Proteges; just wondering if anybody had any idea whether the Golf would be higher or lower. My insurance guy is out for the holiday weekend.

Seems to me it should be around the same or a bit lower, as the Golf appears to have better safety scores according to Consumer Reports. Plus it's got ABS, side airbags and antitheft, where as the Protege's in question did not...
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is it still possible to buy a stripper Golf GL with manual crank windows?
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Yes for the 02 model year.
    For 03, GL comes standard with power windows.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Has VW even started making the '03 models already?
    My insurance went up when I got my Jetta. Of course, I went from an economy car to the Jetta 1.8T, so that's maybe why. Also, the parts on VWs are more expensive than on Mazdas too, so that makes a difference. The difference was like $200 every 6 months if I remember correctly.