Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    I called JET earlier in the week. Here's a link to a bunch of information on this unit, including a posting from me!

http://newforum.clubgp.com/ubb/clubgp/Forum1/HTML/011554.html

• jashoujashou Member Posts: 18
    I did purchase the Jet PCU module and should be receiving it in the next few days. I have called jet and am still waiting for them to mail me the performance specs. I purchased it thou i-5 automotive for $195.00. You can contact them at 714.981.3773. If you go to the jetchip.com web site they answer alot of questions. My main concern is the warranty, they say it is legal and it will not void factory warranty. I still want to research that before I install it.
  • snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    The warranty is an issue to consider. The general take on mods is "The mod needs to be proven or at least likely to have caused the problem before it affects the warranty." Yu have to cut a wire for this one. Hmmm.

I will probably do it as soon as someone give a favorable report.
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I convinced a colleague of mine to look at one of those new 2000 SE's that I mentioned earlier a local dealer was unloading for peanuts. Lovely car it is - white with a gold/tan interior, bucket seats, console upfront, fold-down rear armrest, alloy wheels, power seat, spoiler, etc. but no keyless entry, remote trunk release or floor mats. What's that? No remote trunk release?

I called my friendly neighbourhood dealer on this guy's behalf to see if they could match/beat the deal (they said "no way", under $17k+tax was just too good a deal) and they speculated that the car had been designated for rental service and somehow got diverted to a dealership. My colleague looks to be buying the car because it's just too much car for the money for him to ignore but the lack of remote trunk release is going to bother him (he's looking into a dealer-installed kit). I just find it weird that they would make them at all without that most basic of "options".

Are there other SE owners out there with similar experiences?
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Remote keyless entry and the remote trunk release was available only in option groups 1SB and 1SC on the 2000 SE. In 2001 it became a standard feature.
    Thanks Stephen - GM seems to have corrected a number of oversights between 2000 and 2001. And yet the cupholders remain.... A friend who worked on a GM assembly line back in the late 70's feels that this is GM's strategy - as a way of justifying price increases from year to year when the cost per car of these extras is, in fact, negligible.

Still, I think it's at best odd and at worst unconscionable that a Bonneville would ever have been offered without a remote trunk release.
    Although I agree with you that basic poor designs like the front cupholders and glove box should be corrected as soon as they become evident, I have no problem with a marketing strategy of offering a base model at less cost. Everything costs money and adding extras allows a customer to "build" their "custom" vehicle and pay for what they want. I'd actually like to see more of this (like the old days) when you ordered a car the way you wanted it instead of having to take what they've got. However, I do not want to go back too far when you could get any color as long as it was black :)
    Stephen, I fundamentally agree with you but decisions are made about what will constitute basic equipment on every car model & I believe that those decisions have to be consistent with the expectations of the target market for each car. I suppose that I have just come to view a trunk release button inside the car as a pretty basic feature & I am surprised that it was not part of the base equipment for 2000 for a car of the calibre of the Bonneville.

I want to add that yesterday was the first time that I actually sat in an SE model and I was pretty impressed. As I said earlier, this is a LOT of car for the money. No wonder it's the biggest seller in the Bonneville line.

Re. Marty's fuel range feat - I gassed up this morning and tried it myself and couldn't get it past 471 miles. Perhaps our terrain here is too hilly (that kills the fuel economy) or perhaps I just didn't drive it long enough. I had also read somewhere that the SSEi's tank was 1 US gallon larger than the SE/SLE's tank (although Pontiac's own literature would indicate that this is not so).

Marty: how long did you have to drive before you achieved your phenomenal 522?
    I won't disagree with you that an inside trunk release and remote door locks should be standard equipment on a base Bonneville SE. Pontiac/GM must agree with you also since they added them in 2001.

Keep in mind that the fuel range is a function of the amount of gas actually in the tank and the current MPG. The only way to achieve a reading of 522 is to have a completely full tank of 18.5 gallons and immediately experience 28.2 MPG.
    Once the amount of gas in the tank reaches 18 gallons, the MPG needs to be 29. As I see it, the only way to get this reading is to have a completely full tank and get up to a sustained 50 MPH quickly and efficiently (no heavy foot). You could exceed Marty's record by filling up and then immediately hitting a downhill stretch.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Could someone explain if there is a downside to cold air induction such as increased emissions, lower fuel economy, etc. On Horsepower TV on TNN this afternoon, they put CAI on a 1994 LSI Camaro and went from a baseline of 231 hp to 239 hp with only the CAI as a change to the car. It would seem that if there is no downside and an increase in horsepower, the car manufacturers would jump at it as it seems to be a win-win situation.
    Fuel Range:
    Thanks again Stephen - once again, your words are sage. It does, however, beg the question about fuel tank capacity. The Bonneville brochure I have lists the tank at 70 litres or 15.4 imperial gallons (that would be 18.5 US gallons). Yet, for some reason, Edmunds lists the SE and SLE as having a 17.5 US gallon tank whereas the SSEi has 18.5 gallons. I do not know where Edmunds is getting their info but, if true, it would partly explain why, on a full tank, I couldn't muster anywhere close to the SLE's claimed 555 mi. max hwy range (that would be 18.5 gallons x 30 mpg).

CAI
    I have read about this subject before and know of only one person who actually did a poor man's CAI modification. He put this aftermarket pipe/scoop which went downwards and towards the front. Apparently, one downside is that it would collect road crud - and he had to be careful about snow, slush, ice, etc. - but he claimed that it gave his (get this) Cavalier an extra 10 ponies! I haven't heard from this guy in years, so I don't know if he stuck with it or if he had to clean/change his air filter more frequently or had longer term engine trouble (and warranty arguments with GM). However, a true CAI kit is another thing altogether. Apparently makes a bigger difference for turbochargers than for superchargers - with normal-breathers at the bottom of the impact list. Have I got this right?

As to why GM doesn't do this upfront (or make it an option), I'm sure that it has to do with costs but if they thought that the market was there, I'm sure it could be developed as an option - but I wonder if they would have to tune out the resultant increase in torque steer....
    AS far as I know there is no downside (besides increased intake noise) from a CAI. All it is doing is allowing the engine to breath easier without raising the intake air temp, like a straight cone-filter does.

If you drive the car the same (not likely) you should notice a slight improvement in mpg. Emmisions is unaffected. I ran my car through Maryland emissions the other day for fun (a friend of mine works there and was curious what my mods had done). The car appears to be running with lower emissions than stock.

If your car is super'd you will hear the supercharge a lot more.

Also on colder days you will hear the exhaust gasses being recirculated by the EGR valve for a bit.
    Hope that helps.

ONe of the main reasons GM does put one on stock or any other manufacturer is sound and cost.
    I am reasonably sure that there was a 70's-era Olds 442 that you could get with factory-installed CAI. I didn't know about the extra noise. I've heard CAI types debate about from whence the air is taken in - their argument goes that if it's not connected to a scoop up front or down below, then it's probably not taking in colder air to start with. Others argue that as long as you're not sucking in air from the exhaust side of the block, then you're ahead of the game. I'm afraid that most of the rest of the talk about advanced timing, etc. is way over my head.

Hey! I came across a review of the Bonneville on a CHRYSLER fan site and - get this - it's positive towards the Bonneville SLE (not even the SSEi!) as a competitor to their beloved 300M. Check it out at: www.allpar.com/reviews/2000/bonneville.html .

There's a nice pic of a red SLE there (I have never seen this colour up close and personal & I think it looks quite nice):

I hope these links work here.

Great link iceman. Thanks. One thing I like about the Bonneville vs. the 300M is its rarity. 300Ms are a dime a dozen; nothing special. 2000/1 Bonnevilles are rare and turn heads. More importantly to me however is that GM feeling. Chrysler just doesn't do anything for me.
    I have a large stack of parts in my basement:

M62 supercharger

2000 SSEi wheels and tires

2000 SSEi sway bars

3.25" and 3.5" supercharger pulleys

My email address is AdvGauging@aol.com in case anyone wants to compare inventories...

Scott A. Cook
    Stephen: I couldn't agree more with you in the 300M vs. Bonneville dept. plus, although I think the Mopar lads did a good job styling that car, I think the backside is criminal (of course, that's entirely subjective). I much prefer the Pontiac's aggressive looks - particulary in SLE/SSEi trim.

But as if we Bonneville owners need any more convincing in the Chrysler vs. GM debate, check out this link which I posted in both the "Bonneville vs. Intrepid" and the "Aurora vs. 300M" fora:

www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_lgfam.htm

The 2000-01Bonneville/LeSabre and 2001Aurora get the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety "best pick" designation for large family sedans. Thanks Pontiac for protecting my kids! Conversely, the Intrepid/Concord gets an "Acceptable" designation whilst the 300M cops an abysmal "Poor" rating. Yeesh.

By the way, neither of those chat groups referred to above have much activity any more. In ezrapon's words, "there is nothing left to argue ... GM has smoked the lesser car and it would be a fool's issue to argue the facts. I only hope if I happen to hit another car, it's one of those soft Chrysler products." Here here!

Scott: Were you able to do follow through with this past weekend's scheduled mods? If so, we're all ears. Plus - are those leftover wheels the alloy or chrome ones. I've been thinking about moving to the chrome ones as I can get them at cost but it's still a bundle.

• refinerrefiner Member Posts: 59
    Just ordered the rear sway bar,front end links,poly bushings. The guy at Saner mentioned Intense. Said the 1.25 front bar messed up his dies. Still waiting on the stage II MAF. Called RAT last week they said I had 2 people in front of me. I think the headers are next. Get a healthly bonus in April or May. Looking at the gas prices from last summer. You can just imagine. Our first billion dollar year. Still way behind Exxon Mobil.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Saner's trouble must be the explanation on why I haven't received mine yet. I ordered them January 23rd and lead time was only to be 4 weeks. No hurry on my end but it would be nice to have them. I must say that they were very accomodating in that they were willing to invoice after shipment although they aren't yet equipped to handle credit card orders.
    I spent my last two Saturdays under the hood of the SSEi:

Thrasher ported and polished cylinder heads, with oversized exhaust valves

NGK TR55IX Iridium spark plugs, indexed, and gapped at .065"

Home-ported lower intake manifold

S-ported supercharger

3.0" pulley

RAT Stage 2 MAF sensor

RAT throttle body spacer

RAT underdrive accessory pulleys

Caspers AFPR

Grand Prix dipstick

The car feels VERY strong, but I can't get any quantitative numbers until we have some dry roads in Ohio.

Next weekend's work includes slotted brake rotors and carbon fiber brake pads, experimentation with static fuel pressure settings, etc.

My leftover wheels are N93 - multi-laced aluminum.

Scott
  • zzahhzzahh Member Posts: 47
    I'm tellin' ya, Good Year Stock, can not lose.
    Very cool. Now if we can't get a limited slip setup for you.

When you get a chance how about you rate the mods by apparent performance and ease of install.

I am dying to see your trap numbers in april.
    I order my 1.25 front bar back in November and still have not seen it. I will shoot JOhn at Saner another email. Good guy, lousy delivery times.
    It does my Bonnie soul good to hear about your spiritual encounter at Disney World. Also, golly good to hear that your epiphany wasn't bespoiled by any intrepid apparitions.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Well guys, I've just come in from shoveling - round one. We've got 16 inches with drifts of 2 feet so far and it's still coming down steadily. I found a lump in the driveway and discovered my Bonneville under it. The mountain turned out to be wife's Suburban. This is heavy stuff - packed, not loose and fluffy. Good exercise and all the businesses around are closed so even us Dads get a day off (Got to find a silver lining somewhere!)

Hope your skies are sunny

Ken
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Glad to hear both of you guys enjoy your Bonneville rides...I test drove a '00 SE myself last month and I came out very impressed. Currently, I own a '00 Impala LS with the same exact 3800 Series II V6 under the hood as the Bonnie....so I know about all the pleasures of owning one of the best V6's out there ;-)

GM has put out some great sedans beginning in 2000 and both the Impala LS and Bonneville SE offer lots of bang for the buck, great quality, unmatched performance and driving pleasure for the dollar and excellent safety records.

Intrepid? Mopar? Chrysler? Sorry but their already STALE cars and products simply suck....the 'Cab Forward' non-sense has many problems inherited in that design scheme, lousy performing engines (Look good on paper but somehow the numbers don't translate to the asphalt), automatic transmissions that don't last beyond 50,000 miles and a plethora of build quality issues that the Bonneville simply doesn't have. Add to that a troubled DCX company and weak resale value.

Go GM!

I live in Miami and last september me and my wife went to Disney World...we went to GM's Test Track ride and it rocks!!! Too bad, the ride breaks down too often (It is mighty complex I might add) and the lines are very long unless you decide to split and go into the "Single Riders" lane or get ahead early in the day and get the Disney's FastPass.....

You both are welcome to participate in the Impala forum and club right here in Edmunds.

Love my Impala! ;-)
    It's good to see you loving that Impala again!

Wish I was there in Fla today - this is a monster storm!

Ken
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I see you dig your way out of the snow pile...good to see you back again! ;-)
    Check it out:

Scott:
    Yes, we have the chip for your car. Prices are as follows:
    ASE Chip $449.00
    Installation $90.00
    Stock chip $30.00
    Plus shipping
    You need to send us your ECU to make the installation, you can expect 15-18 HP more to the wheels (actually your engine delivers 190-195 HP to the wheels). The ASE chip also removes the top speed limit and increase the shift points by 600 RPM.
    Feel free to contact me if you need more info.
    Best Regards,

Alex

This email was from ASE Chips - (714) 632-9344. I can't wait to get rid of the speed limiter!

Scott
    My son and I did Fast Track twice in August. I too was impressed by the Bonneville presence.

This New England storm is really something. Unlike Ken I worked the last two days. The SSEi handed great.
  • mrobinson3mrobinson3 Member Posts: 13
    I can't gush enough good things about my wife's Bonneville SSEi. Being Japanese, she loves suprising people with the fact that she gave a big thumbs down to the conservative syling and ride of most Toyotas and Hondas marketed here in the US, and chose a Bonneville. Actually, she was ready for a TransAm, but wanted something with 4 doors...

I sing the praises of Pontiac, they have converted us with 8 booming speakers, rear air conditioning, and snazzy programmable remote car keys that set the seats and more for his and hers riding. (Not that she lets me drive it much...)

- Mason
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    Back in st. louis. Freezing temps, but no snow. I will miss the 88 degree days in Orlando. I'll also miss the post I made about the SSEi presence at the test track. It got erased because I used a naughty word... who ever censors mild language like I used needs to turn on a TV or read other forums here in Edmunds... son of a gun.
    I've had quite a few posts appear, and then disappear within an hour or so recently. I get tired of writing them for nothing.
    I don't suspect censorship. I think Edmunds is having some server difficulty - I had two extremely innocuous posts appear and then disappear. You think that you're tired? You're not nearly half as long-winded as I am. :-(
    I ran in to a new viper at a light tonight. Open road, 55 speedlimit. An older gentleman and a young lady. I think he wanted to impress her and figured I would be an easy target. He took off at a good clip, but definately not full-throttle. I think he was suprised that I was keeping up. Then he stepped on it and all I saw was tail lights. I probably could have kept fighting a little bit longer, but the Bonnie is definitly out muscled in that contest. It is nice going head to head with a car like that an having the driver realize he is going to have to push his car a little to take you.

I wonder if the girl was impressed, that he had to work so hard to beat a family sedan :-)
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Hi everyone- I have a 2000 SE -we have the car since March of 2000- My wife and I both love this car- great power,we like the style, comfort and safety. I also like the feeling of knowing that your not just another same old looking car on the road- i still get remarks like "What year is that car"- Thats a Bonneville? etc.- the car does turn heads every now and then-

I know this is not the forum for this- but i just wanted to add my own comments in regards to that of teo and the iceman- re- 2000 bonneville vs 2000 intrepid- Pontiac is the better vehicle-
    any doubts- Chech out the NHTSA site-under RECALLS- -Intrepid has 5 recalls for their 2000
    vehicle so far- Pontiac Bonneville has 1. Also- As mentioned by either teo or the iceman- on Crash Test Results-again- Pontiac has the better ratings.
    Better built- better safety -a better car- PERIOD.

Chuck
    Couldn't agree with you more. Still, I admit to being impressed by the Intrepid - on paper. It is a comfortable car and it has nice features but it just lacks oomph. The Bonneville is just more nicely aimed at the combination of "boy racer" and "executive car". That's not where the Intrepid is aimed - hence the huge difference in sales. Besides, I only recently made the leap from imports to domestics - don't ask me to drive a DC just yet.

By all means, throw your 2 cents in that forum, fantascp - between ezrapon, teo, and me, we've got that debate going again. Let those DC boys know why you went GM. Hey, consider it a public service to all of those misled by the ads for $279/mo. Intrepids.
    This should do it:

Don't ask where I get these links. I do use the internet and I am researching the purchase of a 2nd car. At times, the mind wanders back to the Bonneville....

(Anyway, despite the chrome wheels, I've concluded that the above car is an SLE rather than an SSEi).
    Thanks for the special rotating post! - You add a lot to this forum. How do you know it's an SLE?
    Also, do you know what the 1 recall is that fantascp mentioned?
    According to the Pontiac site, where the image was lifted from it is a SSEi. What makes you think otherwise?
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    I thought the only major difference between the SLE and SSEi was under the hood. Bodys are the same, right? Did someone pop the gif's hood and check for a blower?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The badges are different on the outside of the two, but that's about the only difference. You can't really see the badges on the .gif, so I don't know.
    I was definetly censored. The post was lifted and E-mailed to me by our conservative host Pat. The offensive word was highlighted in red and I was told to repost without vulgar language. The language was very mild... one word away from son of a gun... i was describing seeing a SSEi door on a disney ride... I lost my head! So if you have an inspirational post (as mine was) do not embellish it with ANY form of colorful language...big brother is out there.
    Fantascp - Glad to see another 2000 SE owner here. Check mine out on post #571 here. Your comment about inquiries from interested observers is right on the money - lots of people ask what this car is and compliment the styling.

Have you had any issues to fix on yours? I've got a new rear window on order since the rear defroster produces interference on the FM radio band and doesn't clear properly.

I'm also curious about your seat - do you have buckets or the available bench? I find that my bucket is not comfortable for long hauls and am trying various remedies.

Welcome to the forum.

Ken
    Iceman - Great addition! Love that revolving feature. Thanks for the post.

Relative to censorship it's curious to me that on radio broadcasts today there is much vulgarity allowed (e.g. I-man morning program etc.) and in the Boston market we have an afternoon talk show that you really can't let kids listen to despite the very interesting topics and conversation - it's just too vulgar at times.

Edmunds seems to be ensuring that this venue remains kid friendly. I've noticed on my own posts that as long as the potentially offensive word is not completely spelled out it may not be removed. I'm in favor of keeping the forum 'PG' rated.

Ken
    I am getting absolutely frosted over this awful spell check software - it takes FOREVER to post sometimes because of the limitations in this package. Even the word Edmunds is not recognized. And when you finally get the posting up , the questioned word is garbled and needs further editing and additional spell check to fix - what a NUISANCE. Does anyone else experience this besides me?

Ken
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    Intrigue owner-99 GLS w/3.5 had the SLP catback setup for the Regal GS installed. It is a stainless 2.5 dia pipe that fits directly behind the converter and eliminates the resonator feeding into a large rear muffler with an extension of twin outlets. Sounds neat and took the Olds dealer about 20 minutes to disassemble the old and install the new..

SLP did not want to sell me the system since they had never tried to interchange the Buick 3.8 with the Olds 3.5; it will also fit any Intrigue 3.8.. Cost of the system shipped to Detroit from Jersy was $391.00.

SLP Eng does performance/dress-up goodies for the F bodies and W body Pontiacs.

This my 2nd Intrigue and has about 38k miles to date; my original 98 Intrigue 3.8 GLS model was repurchased by GM at 26k miles due to various concerns.. The 3.5 engine is a screamer above 60mph; glass smooth and loves to run.. My bag is the higher end of the cruise limit; with 0-60 a non-item event..

The Intrigue is a noisy car, stiff suspension, some steering maladies, and brakes which wear quick. Resale value sucks; but then you V-6 Pontiac users should go over and try the 215 hp 3.5 V-6. With the SLP exhaust in place, we probably added 10hp.. I didn't install the system until 36k miles and yes; I have an extended warranty GM Major medical!!!! My initial run with the new system on a 23 degree day over 198 miles of interstate at 80++ netted 29.22mpg.. Increase of 3/4mpg..

The Olds line will be discontinued in the next couple of years and the rebates offered along with the 5/60 warranty are outstanding.

Please note that I would have had a GTP loaded but they were scarce; no deals so I ended up with Olds.

I am looking to the Bonneville for my next adventure. My other car is a Deville Northstar and has a stock exhaust system. It must be my Hoosier hertiage that drives me to upgrade the exhaust. Too many Donzis..

The 3.5 has not had a wrench on it in 38k miles!!!

The 3.8 is a great engine and the charged one has the premium innards for abusers. I would like to see the Bonneville body cleaned up with less outer space plastic outside panels.
    I almost bought a gtp when I wound up with the SSEi. The funky way the sun roof works sold me on the Bonnie. The GLS had a bad sound system (monsoon) but I believe the sun roof retracted into the roof not on top of it... very cheesy look for the GTP... that, and I see 800 every day.
    As for the censorship issue, Iam for a clean site,and I would not use a 4 letter word or direct vulgarity at someone, but what I said was way too mild to raise an eyebrow on any network TV show or some cartoons.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ezrapon: There are no "Terms of Use" by which you are bound when listening to a radio or television broadcast. The radio or TV station is, in a way, bound to a TOU of sorts, the FCC. By participating, you have agreed to the TOU which prohibits profanity, regardless of degree.

I understand that confusion may be caused by the hosts' recent crackdown. In the past, we hosts often let incidental, "mild" and context-compliant usage of profanity ride. In the interest of consistency, we've been more strict in our enforcement of the TOU with respect to profanity. I apologize for any confusion that this may cause. Some hosts were more strict than others in the past but most guests would like to see the same rules enforced from board to board and we are working to ensure that.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I apologize for misleading you guys. The spinning gif is almost assureadly an SSEi (I was wrong!). You are quite correct - there is no obvious external difference in coachwork between the SLE and the SSEi. Given that the Pontiac flagship is the SSEi, it is only natural that Pontiac would feature that model.

(Of course, since the car is spinning, the stabilitrak - not available on the SLE - must be malfunctioning. Groan...)
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Just do what I do. Don't use the thing. Most of the time, the 8-pound squishy gray spell-checker between my ears is good enough anyway.
This discussion has been closed.