Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe vs Chevy TrailBlazer

2»

Comments

• rcox2rcox2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 02 TB. Same EXACT problem. Tow it to the dealer and it works fine. They replaced the egnition switch and I thought it was fixed (not so). It has only happened twice in 6 months but I hate the fact that it can occur at anytime and no body seems to know how to fix it. Keep me updated on what you find out.

Sad Puppy.
  • jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 1
    I've ran into this problem while installing my new intake and JET chip... In order to install these components, you have to take off the leads to the battery... Anyway, after installation, I put the leads back on and tried to start the car but no luck... I did notice that the interior lights weren't on and the door ajar chime wasn't chiming so I new something was wrong, other than that everything else was on (radio, gauges, etc.) I retightened the positive lead and everything went back to normal. It didn't even turn that much. My suggestion is to try to retighten your positive lead to your battery or take off your positive lead and then put it back on to reset your ecu... Hope it works, good luck!
  • tbownertbowner Member Posts: 7
    Exact same problem for me. Have you solved it. Any help Appreciated!
  • stiltzkinstiltzkin Member Posts: 3
    Samo-Samo. Wife's 2002 TB doing exactly the same thing. First happened on Memorial Day - mechanic tapped the starter, and it started. Thinking it may be a flat spot, we decided to replace the starter (not cheap)! Service Center had it for three days, started every time. They cleaned and re-tightened the battery cables (as a precaution)! Even drove it around town on errands-no problem. Picked it up, and drove it home yesterday PM. Approx. one hour later, it did the same thing. Try to start it, gauges roll up like they should, but doesn't start. No noises - nothing! Help........somebody.......anybody!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you check the other end of the battery cables? Like any grounds and other connections that may be buried in a taped over harness.

Take a look over in the "No Start" Problems discussion too.

Steve, Host
    Steve, Just had another episode when the TB didn't start. Mechanic checked those connections you mentioned with no results. Took off the under hood fuse box cover, and after checking around there was able to briefly get the starter to engage (but only once)! Had his thumb on a fuse applying pressure when this happened. He now believes the problem may be a connection inside the fuse box.

Will keep you posted.

Wonder how the other guys turned out?
  • eku05eku05 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 TB that is in the shop for the 4th time in the past couple months, and now with the 3rd different mechanic with the same problem of not starting. Just checking in to see if anybody else has had any luck in getting the problem fixed.
  • shuzyshuzy Member Posts: 1
    Yes, my sister had a GM vehicle and had the same problem over and over. It ended up after 3 years it was the computer chip in the key. It wasn't calibrated or programed correctly to her car. So sometimes it would start and sometimes not because the program #s were so close. When the car is shut off for ten minutes everything resets and then THIS time the key and the car were in agreement. Hope this helps....don't know the correct vocabulary on this subject but I hope it gives you and all others who own GM some help. By the way, my sister just bought a new car and it WASN'T"T a GM because, after all her research, they seem to have electrical problems a lot!!! Good Luck!!
    I have purposely delayed my response for over a month since getting the wife's 02 TB back from the shop. Has been working perfectly! What was wrong? Mechanic doesn't know exactly, but took the under hood fuse box apart, and checked connections. Although he didn't notice any loose contacts, or think it needed much of a cleanup (which he did anyway), there hasn't been any problems since. The wife is happy, so I'm happy!
    Thanks for the response.

Mine worked for about 3 weeks after the dealership replaced the starter relay. But the other day it did the same thing and is back at the dealership. I requested that they look at the fuse box, so Im keeping my fingers crossed that it will work this time.
  • loxalotloxalot Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 TB LT Ext. Was a program car from a car rental agency. Had 20,000 when I got it. At 28,7xx while driving in AWD during rain at 70MPH with cruise on something happened. I was slowing down to take an exit so I tapped the break to stop the cruise. I slowed, took the exit then sped up again (quick exit, 65MPH on the highway I was taking). I heard something new and I looked at the dash: I was going about 50MPH at 4000RPM. I let off the gas hoping it would downshift, but it didn't. I pulled over, waited (no dash warnings btw). Put transfer in 2WD, trasmissin in D, started again. It shifted from 1st to 2nd but after that, nothing. Went 40MPH at about 3500RPM (again I'm on a 65MPH zone). I pulled over again, waited, checked trans fluid - fine. Started again, 1st to 2nd shifted and jerked. I pulled over and decided to call a tow (40 miles from nowhere). Had to get to a major intersection, jerked again.

Had it towed to the dealer where I bought it (this was on a saturday). Chevy dealer looked at it Mon and Tues. They determined that some parts decided to fail and shatter and the best fix was a new transmission. On top of this, I just got a recall from Chevy regarding the turn signal relay (which I had replaced within 2 months of purchasing the TB because it quit working). Chevy paid for new transmission and labor - all under 36,000 mile warranty.

Only other problem I've had is my rear air comes on by itself sometimes. Main switch is on 0, rear is set to Off. Dealer has no idea why it does it either.

No other problems since, thank god.
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    I had the same problem with the air a few times as well. The ignition switch was replaced for other reasons and it has not happened again.

Beats me.

Good luck
    Wxman
    Got it back from the shop on Friday, and it stopped working on Sunday. Giving it one last chance, and if it doesnt work Im getting rid of it.
  • bertwarbuttonbertwarbutton Member Posts: 1
    My turnsignals will not flash (same with the hazards)... All bulbs are good... There does not seem to be a flasher relay as normal... Is there a flasher - dual module that controls this function that can be replaced?

Thanks,

Brent Warkentin
  • dwormsbedwormsbe Member Posts: 6
    This was a recalled item on my '02, both sides went. I too took everything apart and checked all the bulbs. After the recall this was one of the few things that were repaired without any major fight at the dealer.
  • westend567westend567 Member Posts: 1
    Trying to find info on the turning radius between these two vehicles. I have heard the Tahoe is better in smaller parking situation and turning areas. I have looked on the web chevy web site but have not seen anything that address this issue. If anyone has any info or a web site with this info please reply, thank you
  • iamcanadian_ehiamcanadian_eh Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever get this issue fixed? If so, what was the problem?
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Edmunds' Used Car section lists the EXT 4x4 turning circle as 39.6 feet(had to look at the 2003 specs- 05+ doesn't show the EXT model). The same information for the 06 Tahoe is shown as 38.3 feet. So if this info is all correct, the Tahoe has just slightly more than a 1' advantage over the longer Trailblazer.

I had a standard length Trailblazer, but it's turning radius was actually about the best of any vehicle I've ever driven. This includes all the compact and subcompact cars I've been in (92 Corolla sedan which I owned alongside the TB for a while, for example). The EXT Trailblazer, while around 16" longer, shares the same front steering gear, and so, most likely gets the extra sharp maximum left / right front tire travel for turning. This is why a stretched version of the TB nearly matches a Tahoe while still offering a much more comfortable third row (7 passenger seating!) and actual decent room behind it.
  • goodgradesnowgoodgradesnow Member Posts: 6
    I have had experience with the Trail Blazer and I have no complaints about it epically since they can come with a inline 6 which will save you money and gas
This discussion has been closed.