Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Future Models

Comments

• Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I believe that we will continue to see swings back and fourth in taillight colors for ALL BRANDS of vehicles over the years. It's just a simple way for them to differentiate one model YEAR from the last. It's cheaper than bending sheet metal to different shapes. They use the same mold, but inject different colored plastic.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Sounds good.

Congratulations on the new cars :D
  • Options
    capt41470capt41470 Member Posts: 38
    Hi all
    Anyone know when we will see the 06 acord coupes in the dealerships? Thanks
  • Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    Congrats on your purchase. Our 03 T:L is coming off lease and probably will purchase 06 ex with nav. Keep us posted on new accord.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Sounds like a great car. How was the test drive on the 6-speed and why did you opt for the auto ? The Honda 6-speed is one of the best.

MidCow
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "No longer true, since they went to true LED lights only red. Recheck the models. Yellow LEDs don't show up and are not used. Acurs, Infiniti, Cadalac, Lexus, MB, BMW all use red only!."

There is one exception. The BMW 3 Series coupe has amber LED turn signals. As far as I know that is the only car with LEDs other than red.
  • Options
    thomcinthomcin Member Posts: 29
    I have owned a 2004 BMW 325 Convertible with the Sport Package which has amber LED turn signals also. The advantage to these is the greater long distance visibility.
  • Options
    rhun1rhun1 Member Posts: 1
    Honda seems to have changed the rear suspension. The double wishbone is now advertised to be only on the front. What do you guys think of this? Will it be a harsher ride for the rear occupants? I have Chrysler 300M Special-really fast car, awesome on smooth roads, aweful on warped pavement. I am thinking of trading this car in for a 2006 Honda EX-V6 Accord.
  • Options
    rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    Does the factory Honda radio play Mp3 encoded discs? I also read on the official Apple web site that a Honda Ipod connection solution was "coming soon." Does anyone have a clue as to what and when?
  • Options
    jfergusjfergus Member Posts: 30
    Since Honda sells a separate MP3 / WMA player as an option, I'd reckon that the factory CD player doesn't play MP3 discs. You have to convert to traditional 70 - 80 minute CD audio format. You can probably go out and buy a good aftermarket MP3 player and have it installed the same way but for cheaper than Honda's $571 MSRP option (not including installation by the dealer).

There is an announcement about the iPod connection in the "news" section of Honda's site. But this iPod connection seems destined only for the new Civic. No mention made of the Accord or other models.
  • Options
    rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    "Honda seems to have changed the rear suspension. The double wishbone is now advertised to be only on the front."

That's funny... When I reviewed the '06 Accord at Honda's website, my monitor displayed the '06 Accord's rear suspension design as "five-link double wishbone". I'm not convinced that's a change in other but advertising description. Still, if you're that concerned, take a test drive in a new Accord over uneven pavement and draw your own conclusions. ('sides, what do you care about the rear passengers - they're lucky to be getting a free ride! )
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The Honda Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod at the same time by a cable conveniently located in the glove compartment. The adapter will be available starting this December exclusively for purchase and installation at Honda dealers. Suggested retail pricing for the Honda Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation. Honda Music link is backed by a full Honda factory warranty. Consumers should check with Honda dealers for specific restrictions.
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I am considering buying either the V6 EX Sedan or Coupe . .I will have to see each in person. Would these two have the same driving experience, or would the coupe always have the better handling and acceleration? Just curious.
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Love the front and rear enhancements but the shift to 17" wheels will prove:

1) expensive when replacing the tires
    2) expensive when replacing the alloys after hitting a pot hole [less tire wall]
    3) expensive when forced to buy narrower wheels and tires for winter use.

Was this change REALLY necessary for a family sedan? Looks great, but ....
    My friends driving current Acura TLs with all season tires refuse to drive it in the snow.
  • Options
    cheng1cheng1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I just purchased an 06 Accord LX V6 Sedan Graphite Pearl and thought I'd share some of my thoughts on ride and other things. 1st the 17" tires are very comfortable and feels just as smooth as riding on the 16" tires found standard on the 05 Accord V6 Sedans (I test drove the 05 Accord V6's before I bought the 06). I don't know if the suspension has really changed from 05, but the ride is very nice on turns and handles very well. Off-the-Line acceleration feels the same as the 05 Accord V6 Sedan, but I have not revved the RPM's too high because I want to break the car in correctly. The size of the tires are 215/50/17s Michelin Pilot MXVV4's with a 300 Treadwear which are perfect because they are not too low profile. I was a previous owner of a 99 Honda Accord V6 coupe with 215/45/17's and Eibach Pro-Kit suspension and this car rides so much better than my previous love. Road noise is good, but obviously due to 17" rims, the road noise is a tiny bit louder than the 05 Accords with 16" rims.
    Exterior wise, I love the Metallic front grill and the rear update. That is a personal taste, but for me the rear 3/4 shot is a beautiful angle for this car. The 17" rims look cool and work wonderfully with the car and give the car a sophisticated, but cool look.
    Oh, also, aside from VSA, heated side mirrors, and a nice price, I love the fact that they put a moonroof in standard for the LX V6 Accord Sedan... Good Job, Honda. Your finally starting to figure out what the customer wants. My only fear is that the car doesn't have any problems being that it is a very new model and me buying it right off the truck. (2.5 miles on the O.D. and they didn't even have some of the electronics set up for the lighting.)
  • Options
    cheng1,

You wrote: "My only fear is that the car doesn't have any problems being that it is a very new model"

No need to worry. The 2006 Accords are not new models. They are the same as the 2003 through 2005 models, except for larger tires & wheels, a bit of rear sheetmetal and taillight modification and a few minor tweaks here and there.

Honda's fully redesigned Accords won't be built until the 2008 model year.

Enjoy your great new car.
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    There was some retooling for the 06 so the first few off the assembly line might have some issues. Even trivial things like the now standard DRLs took some modifications to accomplish - places for potential problems.

Biker, who is surprised that the local dealer doesn't have one yet.
  • Options
    biker4,

DRLs have been standard in Canada for years. There's no new technology to be concerned about there. Same thing for the now-standard heated outside mirrors.

Dealer here had about twenty 2006 sedans last week.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    It does remind me of the Ford 500 from the back. Its an improvement over the 03-05 which I just thought was just totally bland. I still think the rear and the front of the 06 Accords doesn't match up sort of like the 00-03 Nissan Maxima's rear and front don't match up well. Why didn't Honda change up the front of the Accord more? The bottom of the front end was more masculine but thats it. In my opinion the 03-07 Accord styling will go down in Honda's history as one of the things they should have never done. Its weird but as a Honda fan Domestic car fans always say past Accord's were bland. Then they come out with the 03 and every Honda fan including me blasts the styling to death. I prefer the youthful styling of the 1996-1997 and the sheer elegance of the 1998-2000 styling. Honda better get on their game with the 08 Accord. Seeing photo's of the 07 Camry(at least the front of it) even Toyota is starting to see bland styling doesn't cut it anymore and I hope Honda sees that. Keep in mind I am in my mid 20's but Honda in the mid 90's when I was young back in 1996 they were rolling. When the 03 Accord came out I was very dissapointed. The Coupe came out ok but it didn't have the sleekness of the 98-02 Accord Coupe styling. I sat in the coupe at at the this years Jersey Auto Expo and it felt smaller in the inside than the 98-02 Coupe did. The interior of the 03+ Accord does have more pizzaz than the 98-02 Accord interior though.
  • Options
    cal_calcal_cal Member Posts: 39
    Completely agree with you. The '05 butt design actually looks quite distinctive. The '06 could be on any other car. I always thought the '05 was kinda stylish.

'05 Hybrid owner
  • Options
    navlovernavlover Member Posts: 27
    Hi all. Can someone with navigation talk about the durability of the screens? Do they have a protective "layer" that can be replaced, or would a scratch require replacement of the entire unit? Would they work if you put a "film" over them? (Something like the plastic you can buy to protect the screen of a PDA)

Is the Nav in the 2006 Civic exactly the same as the Accord? Is one higher resolution then the other?
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    The Accord is "glass" like your TV( Unless you have plasma) or desktop PC. It is not like the touch screen of a PDA or DS. The only thinkg you have to worry about is occassionally cleaning the fingerprint smudges or in rare cases anger ( apparentl on on of the Edmun's forums a lady was mad ad her TSX NAV and actually put her fist through the glass screen; her brother was asking how hard it was to replace? Go figure)

In summary it is glass and doesn't need any protective cover.
    Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- It will be an outstanding NAV system if anything like the other Honda/Acura NAVs.
  • Options
    kath3kath3 Member Posts: 8
    ... this weekend. I LOVE the new back end. I think it looks great. The one I saw was red and suprisingly I really liked that color. The dealership only had two and they were both sold. They told me it could be at least of couple of weeks before they get any more ... something about them being held up because they have to come through the Port of New Orleans.
  • Options
    kath3,

You didn't indicate in which state the dealership that you shopped was located. However, the vast majority of Accords sold in the United States are manufactured in Marysville, Ohio. So, I can't imagine why you were told that they have to come through the Port of New Orleans. It sounds like they didn't know what they were talking about.
  • Options
    kath3kath3 Member Posts: 8
    This was in Fort Worth, Texas. I asked him the same question, and he said even though they were manufactured in Ohio, they still shipped in through New Orleans. I don't know if that's really true or not.
  • Options
    navlovernavlover Member Posts: 27
    Thanks. I've been told it is "the same" as the other Honda Navs, so I'm pretty excited.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    This was in Fort Worth, Texas. I asked him the same question, and he said even though they were manufactured in Ohio, they still shipped in through New Orleans. I don't know if that's really true or not.

It may be. Vehicles typically leave the factory on a train. If the train line usually runs to or even towards New Orleans for further distribution, then there will be delays. The train line just can't shift to another set of tracks - it all has to be planned out and scheduled.
  • Options
    ismail44ismail44 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the difference is between the Accord Nav and the Acura RL Nav, other than the ability to use the XM real-time traffic monitoring service? I've seen the two units, they look the same. How come we (Accord owners) cannot get access to the real-time traffic service too? Is it just a mod to the system, or are the units totally different?
  • Options
    Honda is using a different unit in the 2005 Acura RL, Acura MDX, and Honda Odyssey compared to the Honda Accord unit. They may not be cosmetically distinguishable, but their "guts" are.

The newer unit in the RL, MDX, and Odyssey has a more powerful voice recognition system and is thus able to accept spoken street and city names plus over 700 commands. The Accord's NAVI only accepts the commands as I understand it, you cannot speak a street address and city to the Accord unit. You have to enter the address on the touchscreen. I still think that's better than no voice recognition at all. The new unit also has a better "text-to-speech" synthesizer, so that the system's language is more natural sounding in pronouncing street names.

Nevertheless, the RL is still the only model with the traffic service. Honda is just playing the same game as Mercedes and others, putting the "new toys" in the top-of-the-line sedan model first (Mercedes does so with the S-Class sedan), then over the years if the "toy" proves successful, it is slowly adopted into the other models. There are other reasons for this: through end of August, Acura sold fewer RLs (11,894 YTD) than any of their other lines except the NSX (164 YTD). (source: hondanews.com) That makes sense, because the RL is the most expensive Acura sedan. Honda selected the RL for this feature on purpose, because they are really using the RL owners to test the system reliability and acceptance on a small scale. They are not prepared to handle all the support issues on a large scale yet, and it is wiser to test driver acceptance on a small scale rather than risk ending up with a big flop (rejection) on a large scale. Imagine if only 15% of Accords sold have the NAVI option with the traffic monitoring feature. Using the Accord 2004 year-end sales figure of 386,770, 15% would be 58,015 Accords!

Here is a link to IBM's press release concerning their contribution to the newer NAVI system:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/press/PressServletForm.wss?TemplateName=ShowPressReleaseTemplate&Sele- - - - ctString=t1.docunid=7272%20
  • Options
    Update: it seems that the 2006 Honda Accord and 2006 Acura TSX models now use the "white" DVD (as compared to the "orange" DVD for 2005 and earlier Accord/TSX models), thus giving these '06s the street / city voice recognition that I mentioned in post #345 (and maybe the better speech synthesizer?).

Does anyone have a 2006 Accord with NAVI who can confirm?
  • Options
    glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    Well, the 2006 is old news. ;) Did anyone see the "sports 4 concept", and do we have any rumors about if it will be the next Accord, with SH-AWD? Tim
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    SH-AWD? Tim

Unless it comes standard on the TL and TSX (Acura models) I highly doubt it will be in the 2008 Accord.
  • Options
    not likely, unless Honda takes Acura the Audi route by making AWD available on all trim levels.
  • Options
    Well, hope springs eternal (for me). It was included in the concept recently shown at the Tokyo auto show, and rumored to be a potential "direction" car for Accords. I certainly see that the Acura overlap would be an issue. Maybe the car writers just have nothing better to do...
  • Options
    Did the coupe get refreshed for 06 along with the sedan refresh?
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    What is with the substandard brakes? I just read a review/test and the Honda Accord with 4 wheel disks took 149 feet to stop from 60 mph in their test.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Id guess that the brakes dont have a large enough "swept area" on the disc and the tires may not be the most grippy.

A crazy note is that the Porsche Cayman in C/Ds last issue needed fewer feet to stop from 70MPH (148ft) than did the Accord EX V6 tested in MT's Dec issue used.... FROM 60!

~alpha
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    A crazy note is that the Porsche Cayman in C/Ds last issue needed fewer feet to stop from 70MPH (148ft) than did the Accord EX V6 tested in MT's Dec issue used.... FROM 60!

I'd expect no less from a Porsche.
  • Options
    udsavudsav Member Posts: 11
    Anyone know if you can add homelink to a 06 accord Ex... and where i can buy it?
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I am willing to wager that the concept will be reality sooner than most think?

Why?

A future re-skinned FWD Acura TL with over 300hp will be a hard sell with the torque steer issues such a car would involve!

There are many potential sport perfromance sedan customers who would love to own a TL but end up flocking to rwd competitors or awd Audis. A SH-AWD TL would certainly help Acura sales.

A SH-AWD Honda Accord? That would be impressive. It would certainly take sales from Subaru and a wagon version of Accord(as sold in Europe) would be more than interesting for the many who want cargo/passenger space without the gas mileage of a Honda Pilot.

My definition of a ideal car: SH-AWD Accord wagon with manual transmission!
  • Options
    I think it is a possibility, too. Too many other competitors who offer AWD, some cross-shopped, some not. Honda may have to face up to it. Certainly an AWD TL is not outside the range of consideration. But with MB, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Subaru, Mazda, Volvo, Audi, Jaguar, Ford, Saab (keep going) offering AWD, Honda's thought to only offer it upscale (Acura) may not be market savvy. Not like them... :-)

Tim
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    At the risk this or similar information has previously been posted elsewhere on this site*, the following 2008 Honda Accord spy photo or Photoshop rendering may be of interest. Or not...

*Moderators/Administrator kindly delete this post if such is the case.
  • Options
    temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Hey, Thanks for the spy shot. If it has been posted to this site, I have not seen it. I have been hoping to come across a shot of the new Accord. I bought my son an '06 Civic coupe and it does remind me of a stretched out Civic. If you come across any others, please post.
  • Options
    The front headllights needs to be toned down whiich I;m sure they will be. It looks bigger externally than the current one. Yeah the back end does share the same shape as the current Civic's 4dr model back end which is a bad thing because the current Civic 4dr back end design looks bland to me.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hey, duplicate info isn't going to hurt anyone; in fact, it helps lazy members like me... keeps us from having to look for a previous post. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42
    After seeing what the '07 Camry and '07 Altima are offering, I am very impressed, especially with the Camry. The Accord won me over the Camry during the last generation, and I'm hoping they can do it again with the '08 Accord. That '07 Camry looks real purty though.

So, how can the '08 Accord trump the other cars? Here's what I'd like to see:

1. Improved interior room, especially hiproom and headroom

2. Gated Shifter with a "manumatic" option

3. Bluetooth

4. Rear AC vents

5. Revised instrument panel - the '03-'05 instrument panel was one of the nicest in any car. They need to go back to this design, maybe jazz it up a bit. Or, make the dash all digital. I love digital dashboards. A Heads Up Display would be nice too, although unlikely.

6. Dot matrix odometer/message center - it would be nice if actual mechanical problems could be reported rather than just a generic "check engine" message.

7. Auto-dimming mirror

8. An improved stereo - the stereo in my '04 Accord isn't bad. But it can't compete with the other sound systems being offered in midsize family cars today.

9. Improved graphics for the Nav/audio/climate system - We know that Honda's system is the most accurate and easy to use, but it looks like it was designed in 1987. The graphics need a major update. The new graphics for the Camry Nav look outstanding. I hope to see something similar or better in the '08 Accord.

10. Keyless Start - Not a must in my book, but it would be cool to have. The '07 Camry and '07 Altima both have this as an option, so I think the Accord should too.

11. Tire Pressure Monitor

12. A bigger, deeper trunk

13. AWD - It's a longshot, but Honda could really make Toyota and Nissan tremble if they offered this as an option in the '08 Accord. They have the technology, and I think people would be willing to pay for it. (I would). Let's keep our fingers crossed!

So there you have my choices for improvements I'd like to see. What would everyone else like to see in the '08 Accord?
  • Options
    A Hybrid 4 Cylinder Accord that can go head to head with the Camry Hybrid.

All Wheel Drive may be nice but I wouldn't need it. It would certainly give the Accord a competitive edge over the Camry or Altima.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Amazing, how different folks prefer different things. Frankly, of the numbered items you have listed there, the only things I'd prefer are more trunk/interior space (more is better always), Rear A/C vents, driver info center, and a Tire Pressure Monitor. I think that VSA should be (and will be in 08) standard across the model line, not just V6 trims. Keep economy the same or better please, don't sacrifice for more power (how fast can you go on YOUR interstate? Not fast enough to utilize the power of these cars!). Keyless go can go away (just over-the-top computer stuff to break IMO, a gated shifter is more complicated to shift in a pinch, instead of my "3 notches and go" approach that i can take now. Manumatic? It'd be fun at first, but not worth a cent extra to me. More "options" are always good, but don't force them on me just to get my beloved sunroof! :)
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    You didn't mention what my wife (5' 4" tall) would consider the most important improvement. Adjustable pedals. This would let her sit further back from the steering wheel, and the airbag. The safety part is most important, but it would also mean I don't have to move the seat back before I (6' 1") can get in.
  • Options
    kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    I second this request. If Honda came out with a 4-cylinder Accord Hybrid with leather interior I think it would be a huge hit.
This discussion has been closed.