Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Tires Wheels and Sensors

Comments

• vickadivickadi Member Posts: 1
    The tire tread of my 2005 CRV is 2 of 32 now at 29k miles. I live in south east area and usually drive in city and interstate. Is 29k a very typical life expectancy for the oem tires? Do I have to replace my tires right away or can I wait another 2 or 3k miles?
    Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'd say you're overdue on replacing the tires. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    I had to replace my 2005 CR-V tires even sooner. With winter coming, I'd go ahead and do it. The OEM tires usually don't last long. If you 're newer ties are rating 400UTOQ, they'll last a lot longer.
  • elginappleselginapples Member Posts: 2
    My OEM tires have 30K on them and are showing signs of age and wear. And the ride on the Duellers is a bit hard and noisy. I am looking for new tires that are quieter and more comfortable. I am trying to decide between the following"
    Goodyear Assurance ComforTred, and
    Michelin X-Radial (= Harmony) from Costco.

The total Costco package is certainly less expensive than the Goodyear store. Spread out over 80,000 (or even 50,000) miles, the price difference is relatively insignificant.

Do you have any advice or experience regarding these 2 tires?
    Please advise? Thanks.
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    It all depends on whether you value ride comfort or inclement weather (rain and/or snow) performance as your first priority. According to TireRack (www.tirerack.com) the ComfortTred tires have better ride comfort and road noise scores over the Harmony tires, but worse traction scores. Another tire I would throw into the pot is the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. My wife loved hers when we had a 98 Accord Coupe and she is determined to buy them again when the OEM Continentals age on her new 2008 CR-V EX-L. She greatly values the traction they give her in all the 4-season weather conditions we get in Missouri.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    I went with the comfortred on my 06 and think they work great and road noise is a lot less than with the duellers. Also living in Minnesota I was concerned about the handling in the snow but the do better than any tire I have had on any of my cars or trucks. I would just replace the tires ASAP. Ever since I switched I regretted not doing it sooner if not right when I bought the car. :)
  • cxvargascxvargas Member Posts: 30
    Since I bought my 08 CRV I stopped checking the tire pressure on a weekly basis like I used to due to having the TPMS. Yesterday I put some air and my tires were reading 20 psi. My first question was why the TPMS light never alerted me off such low pressure? Second, I learned of the false sense of security and trust I placed on this machine that I stopped doing something that only takes a few minutes per week and could save my life and increase the life of my tires. Well, with the Bridgestone tires I don't want to increase their life since they are noisy and hard. Can any of you explain how is the TPMS is supposed to work on the CRV. Could the system be malfunctioning? With 10 miles I'm still waiting for the oil to read 10% to take it to the dealer for tire rotation, oil change and ask about the TPMS. Please advice.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Unlike Toyota, Honda doesn't seem to provide a method to reset TPMS when it isn't working. And just what Honda means by "significantly" under inflated isn't defined. 20 psi is under inflated to me. Yep, your system is malfunctioning. At least, the system needs to be reset.

And, of course, Honda recommends monthly pressure checks anyway, which makes the system useful (if working properly) only as an early warning of a leak.

To be fair, TPMS is a new mandate. It's reliability will improve with time. Until then, all your comments about how little time it takes to check tire pressure should be in printed in bold type in every owner's manual.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    to check tire pressure should be in printed in bold type in every owner's manual

Even if it were the only sentence in the OWNER's MANUAL it wouldn't do any good since majority of people don't even open the OWNER's MANUAL. There are just way too many people who "already know everything and don't need to read no stincking manual" :mad:
  • hdonnanhdonnan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 CRV. I also have 4 brand new studded winter tires, in the correct size - except that they are 16". In speaking with Honda they stated that it would be no problem to put these on. They then came back and said that since the car has tire sensors (which was news to me) and that 16" CRV rims cannot accomodate sensors, I would have to go with 17's. They would not recommend the 16's, and would not install without the sensors.

In all seriousness, is this REALLY a safety feature, or just a tire pressure monitor which is what I expect -- meaning that I could go with 16's and forego the sensors and really have a safe winter...
    I have a 2008 CRV. I also have 4 brand new studded winter tires, in the correct size - except that they are 16". In speaking with Honda they stated that it would be no problem to put these on. They then came back and said that since the car has tire sensors (which was news to me) and that 16" CRV rims cannot accomodate sensors, I would have to go with 17's. They would not recommend the 16's, and would not install without the sensors.

In all seriousness, is this REALLY a safety feature, or just a tire pressure monitor which is what I expect -- meaning that I could go with 16's and forego the sensors and really have a safe winter...

I am not sure if it is true or not, but the OWNER's MANUAL should shed some light on the issue of VSA not working when TPMS light is on.

Also, OWNER's MANUAL should have revealed the existence of these sensors prior to the visit to the dealership. :P
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Just replaced the tires on our 2000 AWD EX. Bought some Kumho Solus KR21's. What a great tire, and a great value. Had them replaced in a snow storm last night so I had the ride on the old Tiger Paws (which had 5/32 tread left) and then the new. Incredible difference. Great traction but most impressive was the stopping ability. Better than my wife's Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads, which are pretty darned good. This is about the best deal on a tire you can possibly find.
  • 312capri312capri Member Posts: 8
    I find this very interesting. My son's new 2008 CR-V TPMS light has come on several times and the tire pressure has only dropped to 30 pounds. It get cold at night where we live in NM and the light comes on when he starts out in the morning.
  • kenneth813kenneth813 Member Posts: 38
    Anyone can recommend a tire chain for my 2008 CRV please!
  • kipnitakipnita Member Posts: 7
    My OEM Bridgestones have ~ 4/32 tread after 19,000 miles.

The Bridgestones are horrible tires - noisy, rough riding and mediocre traction (at best). Treadlife is simply not acceptable.

I am disappointed that Honda chose such cheap OEM tires.

I am looking at Goodyear Fortera tripletreads or Cooper CS4 tires as a replacement.

Any thoughts/recomendations/suggestions????
  • yankeefan2yankeefan2 Member Posts: 53
    I had the same amount of mileage on my tires. Your right, Bridgestones are horrible tires - noisy, rough riding and mediocre traction (at best). Tread life is simply not acceptable.

I bought the Goodyear Fortera tripletread at Sam's Club. They are great tires, your handling will improve and they are great in snow. I just so happen to try them this weekend in the snow storms we just had in Rhode Island. By the way I drive a 2007 2wd CRV and I had no problems with going through the snow here in Rhode Island
    Yankeefan, a couple of questions re the Forteras.

Tell me about these:

noise?

wear?

any decreased fuel economy?

Thanks in advance.
    How about a set of snow tires instead?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • yankeefan2yankeefan2 Member Posts: 53
    These tire are the # 2 Rated tires for SUV behind General Grabers HTS

The ones that came with our CRV are Rated 66 with a 1.8 rating (out

of 10) on Would you buy again and our answer is NO

You can go to this web site for test results:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

I don't thing they are noisey, but the CRV is not a Quite car as stated

by Consumer Report & Edmunds in there review of the CRV. It's not

bad but, it's not Quite either.

I only had the tires for 1,200 miles, they are rated for 60,000 miles

I still get between 28 - 30 mpg on the highway and Avg 24.6 all around

I have not seen any milage differents. Mind you I just got these and

really have not taken any trips with them yet.
    Thanks Yankeefan for the update.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Great tires, had the tripletreds on my 2005 awd Escape.

I currently have a 2008 awd CRV with Nokians, they also appear to be great in the storm that you had (but in Massachusetts), can't decide which is better.

They say the tread life is not so great on the Goodyear tripletreds but I did not have them longer enough as I traded the Escape.
  • kenneth813kenneth813 Member Posts: 38
    I do not want to spend money for another set of tires that I do not use much. I live in LA and planning go to Big Bear Lake one or two times a years, So I think tire chainsis better for my needs.
    That makes a difference!

There are a lot of factors to consider in selecting chains. Your owner's manual (if you have) may provide some guidance but I think Snow/Ice winter tires would be a good place to ask. We had a discussion specific to the CR-V in Honda CR-V Winter Driving but that hasn't been very active (yet?).

I found a good overview of tire chains here and you can use Snow/Ice winter tires topic for specifics.

I hope that helps.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    For tire chain, be careful re scratching the alloy wheels. You can search for tire chain in amazon.com or contact the company below to find the correct one for your vehicle model. The pic mentions "Honda Approved" on PAX tires

• illinialumincoillinialuminco Member Posts: 3
    Am in the same boat -- my 2 year old '07 just turned 18K and now researching new tires. My Honda service (experienced) advisor strongly recommended Yokohama YK520's -- reasonably priced with specs better than OEMs. You might also consider the Bridgestone Alienza (sp ??) -- it gets some good reviews. A much higher priced alternative is the Michelin Lattitude Tour. By rotating my tires every 4K to 5K miles I hope to get another 8K to 10K max out of the Bridgestones. Been buying Hondas for 30 years and have always, prior to the CR-V, gotten excellent wear from the OEM tires.
    I'm working on the "tire issue" and will report after the first of the year.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!
  • trichardtrichard Member Posts: 2
    I had to replace my 2007 EX AWD tires with only 24,000 miles. The car came from the factory with Continentals. When I asked the service writer about the poor wear, she stated Honda puts on a soft rubber tire at the factory so that you get a smoother ride. I now have Goodyear Integrity tires which seem to be working well and are quieter. Overall, the car is running well except for the rear differential problem.
    I think that only the name is same between OEM Continental and the aftermarket same model Continental. The OEM's (Honda may pay less than half street price, Continental may make them in different formula, main reason is cut-cost) are definately worse than those you bought in tire dealers.
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Check out the Kumho KR21's. Rated at 85K. Quiet and great ice/snow traction.
  • fairsailingfairsailing Member Posts: 3
    The OEM Bridgestones were reasonable in snow last winter at 20k but their performance was downright dangerous in the first snow of this season at 29k. I've never had tire performance fail like this, it is truly a scary and unsafe product. Bridgestone should be ashamed of this design and Honda for using it.

Yokohama just introduced their Parada Spec-X product in Gen3 OEM size. It is still kind of hard to find, but my initial experience in snow with this product, is nothing short of amazing. Load 102/Speed H/Temp A/Traction A and treadware at 420, all within Gen3 OEM specs. Usually you can find this tire in stock in at least one of the five tirerack.com distribution centers. At $107/tire it's price competitive with most of the other options out there.
  • edreginaedregina Member Posts: 1
    What brand of tires come on the 2008 CRV-EX,
    Bridge Stones # _______ or Continentals # _________?
  • nmarqueznmarquez Member Posts: 3
    can anyone tell me if can i use different size of winter tire in my honda crv2008 ( standard size of my tire 225/65R17 )
    Goto www.tirerack.com -> enter your vehicle info -> then view OEM tires.
    thanks guys:)
  • kevman3kevman3 Member Posts: 30
    Just rotated my Bridgestone Duelers on 08 CRV at 23K. Fronts were pretty shot, backs were still in pretty good shape. Looks like I am going to only get another 10K out of these tires. Pretty weak performance from Honda putting these tires on new cars. Goodyear Integritys on our 05 Pilot are at 40K and still in very good shape.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Those Bridgestone Duelers were some of the sorriest tires I've ever owned. Watch for Michelins or higher end Goodyears on sale and you'll be amazed at the difference in traction and ride. They'll hold up a lot better as well.
  • kevman3kevman3 Member Posts: 30
    Hard to belive how fast the Duelers wore out. A year for new tires on a new car just isn't right. Otherwise love the 08 CRV EX-L.
  • dcampagnadcampagna Member Posts: 6
    When researching an '08 CR-V I read constant complaints about "road noise," so I narrowed it down to the common Bridgestone tires doing the dirty deed. My dealer also had CR-Vs with Continental tires and since the car was acceptably quiet AND the Continentals are the same as standard equipment on certain Mercedes vehicles, I specified the Continentals. And now, 13,000 miles later, are happy with them. I don't know how they are in the snow since we winter in Florida but wet road and dry road performance is OK with me (former autocrosser and rallyeist).
    I bet you won't get the same worn out if you buy the same OEM Duelers again. Somehow I suspect the OEM ones are much cheaper to supply to Honda so material wise is comparatively worse though they need to put a name on the tires.
  • jerry125jerry125 Member Posts: 1
    You are right I will NEVER have a Bridgestone tire on anything I drive these tires are a real hazard worse tires I have ever had.
    I don't know about all Bridgestone being bad.

I have had a number of Potenza line of tires, and they have been excellent.
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Interesting. We had Potenzas on our 2007 Outback and ditched them as fast as we could. Lots of Subaru owners posted complaints and we didn't want to go through winter with them; bought high-end Goodyear and were happy.
    can anyone tell me the bolt pattern for CRV-LX 2008 and any recommended tire sizes i can use for winter tire? thanks a lot
  • pgilfillanpgilfillan Member Posts: 1
    My 08 CRV came with Continental tires. I have 17K on them and they are wearing very well. They also handled the snow in Connecticut with ease, even though I live in a hilly area.
    Check it out ...

www.tirerack.com
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    I just purchased 4 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 225/65R17 tires from the Firestone in Columbia, MD. We had one of our OEM Continental tires go flat this morning and rather than patch just one tire (if possible), we decided to replace all 4 since the car was close to 57,650 miles w/ these tires and pretty worn out. Because of the limited selection of what was available in the area, I went with these because it was our best option on local availability. We only had a few options around town. I could have ordered, but really wanted to get this done w/ today and felt ordering wouldn't be that much better if I could pull of a price match.

I checked out the tire rack reviews for this tire and they seemed pretty positive. Wal-mart had 4 of the other Duelers (the Bridgestone Dueler H/T), but they were reviewed pretty badly. I'm guessing/hoping that is what all these negative comments are in response to.

I wanted to lean towards the Michelins because both the Latitude/Crossover tires were well reviewed and you could do some crazy cash back with them - esp if you bought from Costco (Secret $60 Michelin Tire Rebate - Up to $190 discount off 4 tires purchased before May 31st (YMMV): http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=100363&t=1331105 ) but Costco didn't have any in stock that I could work with and if I ordered them from online, the price they were at were already more expensive than Tirerack.coms.

Anyways, if anyone is interested, Firestone had these tires at $154 a tire and matched tirerack.com's $144 price. All 4 tires w/ fees came out to $617.96.

I then took them to walmart to mount/balance for $50 even to have the lifetime rotation and balance.

I'm curious to know if any of the cheaper, $100ish tires, are good. I could have saved somewhere around $200 if I was to find something close to $100 but I just assumed that everything around $150 is what I would want.

Thoughts?
    I'm curious to know if any of the cheaper, $100ish tires, are good. I could have saved somewhere around $200 if I was to find something close to $100 but I just assumed that everything around $150 is what I would want.

Thoughts?

Although not widely available at B&M outfits, but readily available online at tirerack and discount tire, Yokohama Avid Touring are a great tire at a sub-$100 pricetag.
  • tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    I currently have Goodyear Triple treads on the vehicle. They are getting worn. They have been an OK tire, but they are noisy and I would prefer non-directional tires that be rotated to all 4 corners. I live in Michigan so snow/ice traction is an important factor. Anyone with suggestions?
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    ah, if I had more time, maybe I would have gone for those and saved a little bit of money.

I do need to replace all 4 tires in our family's blue 2004 Accord sedan 4-cyl. Maybe I should look into these for that car if they are the cheapest.