Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Rear Hatch Door Problems

12346»

Comments

• seagarnolaseagarnola Posts: 3

So you mean that you took the back panel off and still can get the door open? So you haven't installed the aftermarket part yet?

Back panel off, new latch handle installed, cable attached. All reassembled as prescribed, won't open.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 56,730
    So the lock itself must be broken internally? Can you clearly see the lock mechanism itself? Does the cable move the release lever?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• seagarnolaseagarnola Posts: 3

So the lock itself must be broken internally? Can you clearly see the lock mechanism itself? Does the cable move the release lever?

!@#$ing Toyota! This is absurd. I've gotten to the locking mechanism/actuator and cannot manually disengage the lock to get the gate open. I blasted it with WD40 and I'm hoping I can get it free but I'm not hopeful. Other forums and YouTube have me taking a sawzall to the strike U thing to get the hatch open and replacing the entire thing up to my new handle. How is it possible that the thing breaks and the only solution is to hack the thing to pieces just to get the gate open? I cannot even get to the spare if I had to so that makes the thing undriveable just because the rear hatch won't open. Toyota won't even acknowledge the issue.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 4,117
    edited May 25
    You already saw the video but for those who haven't here it is.

Yeah, you have to cut the striker if the latch has seized and won't release. I've seen a lot of people waste cans of penetrating oil in the often futile hope that it will magically release seized fasteners r other components. This is far from the only vehicle that makes opening a seized door or hatch latch difficult. Needing to cut the striker is easy compared to some of the problems we often have to overcome.
  • awesomekoalaawesomekoala Posts: 1
    I have 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The rear hatch broke again and this is third time. Spent much money to repair and I am getting really frustrated and upset on poor quality craftsmanship on Toyota.
12346»