Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    And that is EXACTLY the way to buy a fast depreciating car like that Buick!

You did good.
  • Just starting the search and besides the Edmunds TVP what is a good way to determine whether the offered price is fair? How much negotiating is done on used certified cars? Is there a formula based on year, make, and miles that helps me figure out the dealers cost vs. what i should pay?

Thanks in advance.

bridonohue
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,739
    good question.
    well, i usually pop on over to Real-World Trade-In Values and ask Terry what similar cars are going for at auction. Then I tack on about $2k-$2500 as my offer to a dealer. Has worked very well for me over the past few years.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• I just purchased used mercedes from non-MB Used Car Dealer. The car was CPO'd 1 year ago with previous owner up to 5YRS/100K Miles.

Dealer said MB does not allow anyone other than owner to transfer. Therefore, there is no warranty. Is this correct?

Could I contact he previous owner to see if he was willing to transfer? How would MB tell I purchased from someone else?

Thanks
  • The CPO warranty went away as soon as the previous owner traded in the car since the CPO warranty is not transferable to a dealer.

If you had bought it privately from the second owner yourself you would have been ok though.
  • carter7carter7 Posts: 1
    WHERE CAN YOU GET THE BLUE BOOK LISTING PRICE FOR A USE VEHICLE WITHOUT BUYING A BLUE BOOK?
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    KBB
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    .... Don't you mean a "Black Book" ....?

Terry.
    I've never seen a "black" book.

Guess that's a back east thing?
    ... Black Books are nationwide ... almost worldwide with the auctions in Puerto Rico and Hawaii ...... what do you guys use, cook books .........?

Terry :P
    Black Books are nationwide ... almost worldwide with the auctions in Puerto Rico and Hawaii

http://www.blackbookusa.com
    ..... Bud, it ain't like I don't have everyone from the year 1999 ..l.o.l...

Terry ;)
  • jefkjefk Posts: 11
    Would you say that the black book is more accurate than the blue book??? I ran my car yesterday and the black book was $500 more than KBB and Edmunds on a trade-in.

Thanks!!!
    Jef
    We use mostly NADA or look at the auction numbers.

I had never even heard of a black book before I came to these forums. Never heard of them when I lived in california either so I don't think they are totally nationwide. I've have yet to see one.
    You can be like my customers who are trading in cars...just find the one that has the numbers you like the most! ;)
    Given that I can go to 4 different stores and find each one using a different book, I'm not surprised there is one that escaped your radar for so long. Sometimes I marvel that the whole used car biz doesn't just crumble and die due to such differing numbers provided by these books.

In all honesty, although Galves is definitely the prevalent source here in NJ, I have never been on a shopping trip where every dealer I visited used the same book. Mind boggling.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

Its not unheard of for dealers to do this, so don't give him any ideas. ;)

I know one Volvo dealer in particular where I had quite an interesting conversation about this very thing. He wanted to use black book for my trade-in (a mazda at the time), but insisted "blackbook doesn't apply to used volvos," and, therefore, the car he was selling cost him the Galves higher price.

... **although Galves is definitely the prevalent source here in NJ..**

The funny part is, you never see a Galves book at any of the NY/NJ/PA auctions ......... I take that back, after they get 20 paper cut's they throw em' in the circular file ..l.o.l....

Terry.
    ... **Would you say that the black book is more accurate than the blue book??? I ran my car yesterday and the black book was $500 more than KBB and Edmunds on a trade-in.**

It's not that any book is gospel .. but Black Book will be the closest --IF-- you know how to read one ..... you have to know how miles effect each and every vehicle, you have to know how options effect vehicles, color, area of the country ... drop a Diesel in a high mileage Ford Excursion and they're still worth some serious $$ .. drop a manual tranny in a low mileage Volvo S60 and you got didley squat ....

Terry.
    Something to look at and for banks to use.

Cars are worth what the market dictates. A lot of cars are way "back of book" and other cars will bring more than the books say.

I've never seen a Galves book either.
    Exactly. Or the "wrong" color can make an impact.

On that Volvo, the books may call for a 500.00 deduction for the manual tranny but in the real world, the car is saleproof so nobody is going to pay "book".
    ...... I know you don't like anything that doesn't say "Honda" .... but Volvo's do big money, even in your area ....(unless they got a handshaker) ... $500 nothin', try $1,500 and lets hope it's not that almost greenish bluish color with the baby poop interior ... Yawza.!

Terry :sick:
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,458
    Galves is all over New England and New Jersey but like Terry said no where in PA or NY i think.
    ... Galves is indigenous to the upper NE area .... but when you guys come down to the real world, you drop them like bad habits ..l.o.l... I know dealers in NJ/PA/NY and they keep both ... they show the Galves to the customer and then they look at the Black Book to get the real price ..l.o.l....

Terry.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,458
    Yeah I have heard the same thing. Galves is notriously low on just about every car. The values we give for vehicles are normaly above galves unless the market on the car is crazy soft.
    I wouldn't toss it aside so quick. On the last 4 or 5 cars I've run past Terry over the years, Galves has been dead on his price, and, consequently, dead on what most dealers offer around here.

Granted, its not like my sampling is all that large, but considering I've never owned 2 cars from the same manufacturer, its at least a varied sampling.

Terry, I like a lot of cars besides Hondas.

What I DON'T like are cars that constantly cause trouble.

Check engine lights, SRS lights, won't start, etc...

Do Audi's and Volvos come to mind here?
    My Volvo always starts. ;b

well, ok, i've gone through 2 batteries ... but that's not the car's fault.

That said, I'm seriously considering getting rid of her. there's nothing technically wrong with it at this point, but it just doesn't "feel" right anymore and I'm tired of throwing money at it trying to make it feel new again. This is more a fault of mine than the car's, though.

Anyway, the problem is I have yet to find a car for about what the Volvo is currently worth that is nearly as nice. I mean, is it really a good move to trade a '98 Volvo for a '96 Civic for even money?? I just can't see it. About the only car that I've found and considered is a Grand Marquis / TownCar ... but then I'll have 2 RWD V8s in my stable and winter will be a scary thought.

My Volvo always starts. ;b

well, ok, i've gone through 2 batteries ... but that's not the car's fault.

I don't know about your particular car.... but draining batteries are usually the car's fault. They'll often have something draining them when the car's off, like a fan or something.
    well, no, in this case the batteries were just old. The original one went for 4 years and its replacement for 3. Typical lifespan is 3-4 years. They didn't drain, they got to the point they would no longer recharge.