Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 24,862
    i agree with the above. You are paying extra for a certified car as it is, so getting an additional warranty on top of that is overkill.

if you must absolutely have an extended warranty, then get the hondacare warranty (although i'm not sure you can on a vehicle with 41k miles). if you even think about 3rd party warranties, you should first read the several threads here on edmunds from those who have been shafted by them.

'18 Stelvio Ti; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 46-car history and counting!

• Thanks kyfdx and qbrozen. Appreciate your help.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 613
    What kind of extended warranty would you recommend for the 41000 mile certfied Honda Pilot? It appears that Honda dealer provide "Honda Care" warranty. I am considering thrid party providers such as Warrantydirect.com.

I would not recommend any service contract. If you must buy one after the 1 year CPO contract, get the HondaCare, as it is backed (though indirectly) by Honda. For my opinion on Warranty Direct, I recommend you read the last few dozen posts on the "Extended Warranties" thread. I recently finished a circular conversation with a person convinced of WD's quality. The "Warranty Gold Claims" thread is also a good read.

Also could you recommend when should I consider getting the extended warranty? Should it be after the 12 month/12000 non-powertrain warranty expires?
    Any service contract you buy now (or in 12 months) will be pricy, since you're out of factory warranty. I'd recommend parking that money in an interest-bearing account.
  • Is there any such thing as a standard price to expect to pay for a CPO vehicle as opposed to one that is not? In the case of GM for example, there is a difference between a CPO Chevy, Buick or Pontiac....and the Cadillac CPO program. In looking for a CPO Cadillac, I'm finding that such a cost seems to be negotiable and hard to pin down with various dealers.
    For me, it comes down to the individual vehicle. For instance, a CPO program that goes to 74k miles isn't worth very much when the car already has 50k. But one that goes to 100k miles on a car that has 30k is of much more value to me.

Rule of thumb? I might go $400-$500 higher on my first example and ~$1200 higher on my second.

Now, to a dealer, its going to cost them about the same to certify both vehicles ... but their cost should be of no concern to you. Its worth what its worth to you, period.

I've bought 2 CPO vehicles. The first one I paid right around the same price that I would have paid for a non-CPO (volvo). The second one, I paid about $700 for a 74k mile cpo warranty on a car with 30k miles (lincoln) ... but, as a CPO at that time, it came with a much lower interest rate as a special deal, so it really only cost me maybe $200 more.

'18 Stelvio Ti; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 46-car history and counting!

• carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    Happy to find this thread. I'm hoping to find the "right" 05 or 06 lexus es. Today when I went to the pre-owned dealership in Greenwich, CT... I was told that the certification was bumper to bumper except for usual maintanence. I'm wondering what to prepare for a. when I look at the car. (I'm a woman and wondering whether I need to bring my brother-in-law with me to check the car out.) I've always bought new by myself in the past.

b. How to negotiate this. I would love their special financing; but I always heard that first you negotiate the price of the car and then find out about the lower than bank-rate financing.

Can/would a dealership like Lexus try to sell a car that had been in a major accident? Would getting the check list cover me legally?

Thanks for answering all my questions. I really would like to buy a pre-owned a/k/a used car; but am nervous about the process and worried that i could be stuck with a lemon.
    As I posted above, I want to buy a CPO Lexus. I know buying at the end of the month is smart. I also know when buying a new car, buying at the end of the month, especially around Christmas is smarter. But I'm thinking that with a CPO there won't be that many cars being traded in around the holidays and maybe I'll get a better price now.

Thoughts?
  • I would think that if you are buying a CPO Lexus from a dealer, you could be pretty sure that the car was not in a major accident.Try to check it's history out with the dealership. What I would recommend, however, is that you test drive the car at length before you decide for sure if this is the car for you. Did you check out the boards on this car re. the hesitation? It's pretty much on all the 05-06 ES330s. If it doesn't bother you fine, but you should drive it first. I have an 05 and it drives me crazy, but not my wife.....so.. she got the new Lexus from day 1, and I stayed with the older car.
  • if you use Edmunds TMV pricing it will show CPO costing upwards of $1,500 for the title of CPO on your used car.

I sold my used lexus to someone who first paid Lexus to put it through their "certified" process. The cost was $130. If you ask me these "152 checks" are mostly fluff - checking things like lights, fluid levels, air pressure....

one thing they did not cover was engine compression.
  • anymore for a CPO lexus then a regular lexus because the CPO lexus program is not worth too much.

Lexus models already have a 6 year 70,000 mile powertrain warranty and Lexus warranties tend to be fairly cheap because Lexus models don't break down that often.

The CPO Lexus warranty is only three years from the date of the CPO purchase so if you buy a 2005 CPO RX330 with 20,000 miles that is only been in service for a year or so then you aren't getting any extended warranty.

The CPO warranty starts when you buy the CPO so the factory warranty is going to expire at the same time as the CPO warranty.

Unless you are going to put 80,000 miles on the RX in less then three years then the CPO is worth nothing to you.
    Thanks for all your advice about the certification program.After reading a lot about the ES Lexus, I decided not to buy even a CPO vehicle. There have been so many complaints about serious transmission problems; and a number of people have been given new cars because of this. My feeling is that these cars could go to buyers like me who would have no Lemon Law protecting them.

I love the Lexus interior. But I'm buying an entry level luxury car for the amenities and reliability.
  • Sound like you're making a wise decision. I'm looking at a Cadillac DTS as my next car. I want a CPO model, but I feel that adding approx. $1500 for a "check-up" is excessive, especially since GM has raised the warranty on 07s. The Lexus is a fine car, but I need more leg room which the Lexus does not have. I'm also reading that even the new 07 ES350 is having some transmission problems. I guess Lexus isn't a perfect as some believe.
    if you use Edmunds TMV pricing it will show CPO costing upwards of $1,500 for the title of CPO on your used car.

Correct. Which is why I don't use edmunds TMV. ;)

People are LIVID about the Lexus. Go to the board. There is a huge thread about their transmission problems which the pre-owned salespeople refused to acknowledge. In any event, they seem to be a safety issue that affects at least all 6 cylinder cars. Sad.

In the meantime, I'm excited to get my new Acura. A different drive... fast and sporty... but hopefully will last and last... and seems to have no major problems....

Good luck with your choices.
  • Not to dampen your enthusiasm but Acura had many, many problems with their Transmissions in older TLs and MDXs. They extended the warranty out to 100,000 miles on all of those vehicles.

If you are looking for the perfect car that will never break down then that will never happen and you will never buy anything.

Just find a dealer/manufacturer that stands behind their product and get something you are happy with.
  • i just purchased a 2002 ford windstar i can't get the builtin vcr to play i put a movie in press play nothing power light blinks nothing owners manuel any help????
  • I want to sell my CPO BMW. The details are as follows:

Year:2002
    BMW 325i Certified Pre Owned
    3 Liter 6 Cylinder
    52000 miles
    Color: Black / Black
    Options: Wood Trim, Premium Package, power sun roof, Leather
    Condition: Excellent
    Maintainance: All done as recommended by BMW.

I have financed this car through BMW financials and still have some loan on this car. How can I sell it? Most of the dealers won't buy it unless and until I am trading in and trade-in won't be a good option as I won't get good value for it. Could you please let me know how can I sell it?
  • selling your car is easy put ad in local paper local market sign in car with price you want or best offer check dealer ads to see what they are asking then ask a little less because dealer prices are inflated ask enough to get the price you think is fair.
  • I'm looking at a 2004 Civic and the dealer only came close to my offer and said that was without the CPO warranty. So I'm wondering how much the dealer saved by cutting out the CPO warranty?
  • Is anyone familiar with a new sedan with a Split Bench Seat
    (like my 2000 Chrysler LXI) ?
  • hans4hans4 Posts: 5
    Please help---I am new at this--
    A dealer has offered me the buyout price for a leased 2004 XC70 w/ 25000 mi for $26,000. Also,the option to purchase an extended 100,000 mi/or/3 yr certified warranty for an additional $1500. I have been offered $6000 for my 1999 XC70 w/ 96000 miles. Dealer has assessed my car to be in Excellent condition (stated that rarely or never happens). He says there is no room for negotiation as the buyout price is stated on lease agreement (showed me a copy). Is this a good deal?
  • Looking for a little help with an Acura TL CPO problem:

My cousin bought an Acura CPO 2006 TL 3 months ago from an Acura dealer in eastern Maryland. A few minor problems later, she discovered that the car had been in an accident costing $11K+ to repair. This despite a negative carfax report, and the CPO certification. (She tracked down the prior owner, who confirmed the accident, and she now has the repair paperwork detailing the exact repairs). Dealer claims they didn't know, but a mechanic friend was able to spot extensive repairs instantly, and another local dealer appraised it at $17K (she paid $26K 3 months ago).

The offending dealer offered to double the warranty to 100K miles. Acura HQ said to take it up with the BBB, but I'm wondering if she should hire a lawyer. Regardless of the monetary value of getting a damaged (but repaired) car, I also think she deserves compensation--she was basically lied to, and the car could be less structurally sound in an accident (I want her to get rid of it for safety's sake).

Anyone have a similar experience or advice to give? Is hiring a lawyer the way to go, or will the BBB help her get a fair settlement?
    Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    Give Purchasing at the End of Your Lease a try!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pangapanga Posts: 23
    Hi,

I am planning to buy a CPO BMW - I've already seen the certification checklist, should I still get the car checked by a mechanic?

Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,081
    My opinion? Yes, always. If you are purchasing a used vehicle, your money is well spent on having it checked out by a 3rd party. "Certified" doesn't make it a good car - it just means it met certain criteria and some stuff was done to it.

For example, I wouldn't buy a used Saab if God Almighty certified it himself.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• sjw1sjw1 Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    my question is in order for a car to be certified - preowned, did it require the previous owner to take the car to the dealership through Audi? Meaning if they took it to Jiffy Lube that it would not/and should not get certified?
  • jjn193jjn193 Posts: 1
    Im looking to buy a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee from a friend, for a reasonable price, but I am very cautious due to the mileage on the truck. The Jeep is in mint condition. My fear is that the Jeep has reached its limit. Can anyone offer any advise? Am i getting into a problem? Does the jeep still have more mileage left to go on?
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    I feel safe to say the it is not a CPO vehicle :D

The thing about 100,000K plus vehichles is that it all depends how well they have been cared for. I don't care if it is a Honda, a Ford, or a Toyota. If the vehicle has not been maintained well then it is a crap shoot. If all the things that should have been done are done and the vehicle is well kept then the life expectancy will be much higher.

It also depends on how much you are paying. If you get a fantastic deal then you can afford to put some preventive dollars in it. I got a sweet deal a few months ago on 2001 Explorer with 156K on it. So I could justify spending $450 on new ball joints and a 150K service.
  • krkoskrkos Posts: 3
    Hi. I have a 2004 Sebring Convertible Limited for sale that just went over the warranty miles (36,000) and with what I just read about the sale of "certified" used cars up 40%, can I get my car certified (as a private party) to make it more attractive to buyers? I have not had any problem with it and my new company lease car will be in soon and this may help to sell it!! Please and thanks.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    No, for a vehicle to be certified it has to be in the dealers inventory, and the dealer has to do the inspection etc.