Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Rebirth of Buick.........

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,040
    Regarding the LaCrosse's hood being too short, I'll look more carefully when I see one on the street. I think the last time I saw a '10 LaCrosse was at the DC auto show.

I hadn't really noticed it before, because to me, most cars have too short of a hood these days. With the large passenger cabins, steeply raked windshields, and relatively short overall lengths, it's just not space-efficient to make a car with a long hood anymore.

However, I just looked at two side pics, one of an ES350 and one of a 2010 LaCrosse. The LaCrosse is definitely more "cab-forward" than the ES350, as its A-pillar actually extends far enough forward that it's over the front wheel opening. (warning, BIG picture!) The A-pillar itself reaches so far forward that they had to put a little spacer piece ahead of the front door to connect the chrome trim, and that enhances the "cab forward" look, to me.

In contrast, the A-pillar on the Lexus ES350 is much further back. The front door extends ahead of it, and the front wheel opening is fairly far forward.
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    The front just doesn't look right. Last night, the main character on the television show The Good Wife drove a new LaCrosse, and the short hood was really noticeable.

The new Lincoln MKZ is more attractive than the LaCrosse - I like the new Lincoln "face". But if viewed side-by-side, I believe that most people would view the LaCrosse as being the more "substantial" vehicle, as well as having a more spacious interior, which is probably very important to both Lincoln and Buick buyers. Plus, most buyers will not have trouble accepting the LaCrosse as a Buick, but I'll bet that more than a few people, when looking at the MKZ, will say, "That's a Lincoln?!".
    Maybe it's the fact that the cabin looks very long and low in relation to the entire car. That makes the hood look shorter in real life.
    Yeah, that long roofline probably helps make the hood look shorter, too. Heck, look how far to the back it extends, too! The base of the C-pillar actually overlaps the taillights a bit, and I'd guess there's less than a foot of decklid back there. Any less and it would be a hatchback! The back half of the car makes me think a bit of the Lexus GS, which also seems to have a roof line that goes too far back...although in the case of the GS, the car looks really bulky in back. The LaCrosse seems a bit slimmer in the rump area.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    I could agree with you that the new MKZ is more attractively styled than the LaCrosse, but I like the instrument panel of the Buick more than the Lincoln's.
    I never liked the styling of the Lexus GS. You sure don't see many of them. The IS looks much better to me.

It seems as though this generation GS has been on the market forever.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,277
    I don't see many GS's either and when I do it's most likely a hybrid model. Conversely, I'll see 10 times the amount of IS's in the same trip, those things are everywhere. Ironically, 9 out of those 10 I see are the IS250 AWD models. I've seen (1) convertible and I must say it looks great in person.

But yeah, back to the GS, just like the last one it always seems like each generation sticks around forever. I think it's because Lexus does very subtle changes to their MMC and the model runs for 6 years before replacement.
    The most common Lexus I tend to see is the LS430, which I think ran from around 2000-2006? And the second most common, believe it or not, is the original LS400, which I guess ran from 1990-1999 without too much change?

So either they built an awful lot of those two models, and/or they're rugged, durable, long-lasting cars, or the other models are out there, but just seem to blend into anonymity with all the other cars?
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,294
    I dunno. I'd say the most common Lexus around here is the ES300/350 followed by the various LS variants.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    There is a red one in the car corral in Hershey, a '53. Only $165,000
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    A reporter would like to speak with drivers whose families have had a lot of automotive brand loyalty. Has it faded over the years? Please send a few sentences on this to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 16, 2009 if you care to be interviewed on the subject.

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

The LaCrosse weighs ~260 lbs. more than the Lucerne, yet the Lucerne is larger tha the LaCrosse. Both weigh hundreds of pounds more than the Camry V6 or Avalon. It would be interesting to hear Buick engineers explain these differences.
    Drive one.......it handles worlds better than those 3 cars. It feels as rock solid as it looks and weighs
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    "The refrain from General Motors Co.'s Buick division is that it wants to entice younger buyers to forget about Buick's car-for-the-Medicare-crowd reputation. But Buick announced today it's nonetheless resurrecting an old name for its next midsize car: the model will be called the Regal."

Buick Recommissions Regal Name (AutoObserver)
    Heck, Buick has a lot of grand old names! Those names don't deter me from buying a Buick but encourage me. I'd love to see another Roadmaster, Special, or Limited. Better than some alphanumeric goobledygook that means nothing. I wish Cadillac would revive its great names like Eldorado, DeVille, and Fleetwood.
    Same here, I used to like Buick's older names, such as Century, Regal, LeSabre, Riviera, and Electra. Centurion was a cool name too, although it only lasted three years. Wildcat was cool too. And even Skyhawk sounds like a cool name, tarnished only by the car they put it on.

I think the problem is that a lot of these names were cool back in the 1970's, and early 80's, when Buick was still in their prime. But in the later 80's, Buick's demographic started to shift. It went from being a more broadly appealing car to one that catered to a more mature, elderly crowd.

They've helped turn that tide a bit in more recent years, starting with, oddly enough, the Rendezvous. IIRC, its median buyer was around 45 or so. Contrast that to around 57 for the early '00's Regal (my Dad bought his when he was 57, and I teased him that he was finally old enough to buy a Buick), something like 67 for the LeSabre, and 70 for the Park Ave and Century.

I think the first LaCrosse and Lucerne also helped lower the age demographic a bit as well, and I'm sure the Enclave helped out tremendously.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726
    So the Lacrosse-Lucerne lineup will become the Regal-Lacrosse lineup in a couple of years? And another GM model hits the dustbin of history?

It seems to me that they are aligning the North American Buick line more properly with the Chinese lineup, where smaller cars are preferable, but I'm not sure this is an improvement for North American buyers.

Maybe when they bring a proper premium small car to market, we will see some real change? Seems like there is room for 3 cars in the Buick lineup.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

"It seems to me that they are aligning the North American Buick line more properly with the Chinese lineup, where smaller cars are preferable, but I'm not sure this is an improvement for North American buyers."

Name alignment is probably a smart thing, as it simplifies marketing startegy as worldwide name recognition increases. I would agree about the car size, as Americans generally prefer bigger, more versatile vehicles. It appears that the spike in small car sales w/ $4/gal gas was directly related, as many of those buyers are becoming more dissatisfied with those cars as gas hovers around $2.50.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/report-consumers-increasingly-shying-away-fro- m-small-cars-owne/
    I visited my local Buick and Ford dealers again this Sunday...can't say that the LaCrosse has yet grown on me. I just like the Taurus better, especially the SHO. the LaCrosse and Taurus SEL were competitive in price (low $30s).

Based on looks, I would probably go with the Taurus.
    Can you still get a Crown Victoria at the Ford dealer?
    I think the Crown Vic is only available to fleet buyers....police departments, taxi buyers, rental car agencies, etc. I also don't think they keep them in stock, but instead have to be special-ordered.

The Grand Marquis is still offered to the public. However, you have to special-order it. The dealers don't keep them around on the lot any more.
    Andre is right - the Crown Victoria is now a fleet model.

Interestingly, the local Ford dealer is now also a Lincoln Mercury dealer, and I don't believe that there are ANY brand-new Panther-platform cars on the lot.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    And yet nothing in the Buick line appeals to me, even though I am probable directly in the middle of the demographics Buick has traditionally targeted (eligible to retire, upper middle class income). Maybe it's because they don't offer anything with a 5 or 6-speed MT.
    Funny. The Panther cars are the only Ford products that I'd truly be interested in as a serious purchase. I guess you can still get a Town Car or Grand Marquis if you special-ordered it. I don't really care for the Taurus's grille. I wish they'd have given it something more like the Fusion's.
    ...a new LaCrosse for either myself or my wife once my Cadillac DTS is paid for. Of course, she's more level-headed when it comes to cars and will drive her 2005 LaCrosse until it's dead.
    How many miles are on your wife's LaCrosse, Lemko?
    About 46K. That car is probably driven the most out of the fleet followed by the Grand Marquis.
    About 46K. That car is probably driven the most out of the fleet followed by the Grand Marquis.

At that rate, that LaCrosse is going to be around for a long, long time! By the time it wears out, you might be looking at whatever ends up replacing the LaCrosse that just came out!
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,331
    Heck, by that time he'll be replacing it with a hovercraft - but a Buick hovercraft!
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 6,555
    guess you can still get a Town Car or Grand Marquis if you special-ordered it.

Holman Lincoln/Mercury near me still keeps a few new GMs in stock and always has a quite a few late model used GM and TCs. I don't care what anyone says they are really great cars. .

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra