Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    You are so right Cooley and sorry.
    But here goes from someone who gets a bit confused with it all as well. Sometimes I just can't find it in my onboard computer.
    DIC=display information center(sometimes I think this is a carryover from older vehicles where GM named it that & some of the current have little resemblance to the original.
    MPG=miles per gallon )hope most got that one
    3.6L= engine size, but can be in many configurations with most of the changes occuring to the heads. No, not those who smoke funny stuff at GM plant break time. But I can now see how some got confused. "Plant break time", for those who misunderstood, does not mean go smoke some plant.
    10K= 10,000 miles. K being the equivalent of 1000. Much longer than a 10K run.
    DI=direct injection. A system new to gasoline and passenger cars. Not really new though because that is how diesels have always worked.
    ULA= I'm stumped?
    OAM= Got me again!
    trany= I hope you meant tranny as in transmission. The box that changes gears, or once more you stumped me.
    INST=Instantaneous, abbreviation for. Not sure it would pass Webster's, but it is straight out of owners manual.
    TCC= Torque convertor clutch. I remember when this one confused me. Think of a vehicle that has standard transmission with clutch. Only this clutch is operated by the vehicle itself and it puts a direct, non-slipping connection between the engine and transmission. Normally torque convertors slip because there is fluid being churned by the input(friction) which in turn drives the output. For older Buick owners, think Dyna-Flow, no gears, no clutch. Modern 'no shift' transmissions couldn't beat those old ones for smoothness.
    WOT=Wide open throttle. If taken literally, the point where the throttle plate is wide open or not restricting the flow of air into the engine. But not at all accurate for diesels because they have no throttle plate. And with modern gas engines, the meaning goes beyond that because there are sensors tied to computers to do a number of special things when full acceleration is wanted.
    AC=Air Conditioning, except in rare cases when dealing with automobiles. For aircraft & many other occurences, AC=Alternating Current. A/C is then considered air conditioning so not to confuse someone working with both and a deadly mistake could incur. AC power has not been in cars until recently, except when not wanted & a test might require checking to make sure none is present such as from a faulty alternator. Or escaping from an old vacuum tube radio which made use of a vibrator to create it. Hope no one accidentally sticks finger in outlet in back seat if the test says, "check outlet of AC system for temperature change by feeling." OUCH!
    There are a million more acronyms, but I've given up on texting.
    You beat me to it. I was thinking of suggesting such or putting a link to a site that would be a ready reference for those of us who get confused with these abbreviations.
    You are correct about UOA, oil analysis, specifically 'Used". I've used Blackstone and they want at least 1,000 miles on oil to acheive a degree of comparison to new oil. You can send a sample of new oil if you wish to establish a base line for new, but from that point they maintain a data base of new oils so just be sure to put on the form the brand, special mix, weight, etc. as asked for.
    Or if you have deep pockets, want an abundance of caution, you might have all oil you put in sampled to make sure it is what it is supposed to be. When it got me, synthetic was easily spotted compared to conventional and Mobil admitted to me they were packaged on the same line. These days it is more about the blended ingredients, something you can't eyeball.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    Amazing how much bashing of technology has suddenly sprung up. I agree that the seat module design seems poor, but it's a big jump to say that all tech in cars are a bad thing. Truth is that only poorly implemented tech is bad. If you don't agree, then fine, but then I hope you also enjoy hand-writing and buying stamps for all of your correspondence, watching three channels of black and white TV with your rabbit ears, and carrying around extra nickels for the pay phone. Oh, and how exactly did you access this online forum?

Perhaps somewhat indicative that these comments are popping up on a Buick forum. Don't seem to see the same comments on other forums. Likely a sign of both Buick design issues and those still drawn to Buicks.
  • samm43samm43 Posts: 195
    edited March 2011
    I have a feeling you consider me to be one of the ones bashing technology?

If so, my quote about technology and its progress was: "I think the point of diminishing return is history by a few years already."

Which is the case I believe.

A few years suggests 3 or more, and drive-by-wire goes back 6 give or take. There may be a few brands, a few years before that, but mainstream use is only in the last 5 or 6 or so. Drive-by-wire and all the technology that is easily (using the term loosely) linked through it because of drive-by-wire, has opened many doors of issues that are often difficult, or so far seemingly impossible to duplicate when attempting to troubleshoot. Examples of this are certainly not contained to Buick forums. Just using SUA, or automatic transmission communication issues with the engine and all other linked (by drive-by-wire) components, as an example, you can find these discussions in Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota, Nissan, Chev, Ford and many other brands.

So if going back a few years, certainly did not restrict us from any of these things, save possibly for readily finding B&W TV's to watch (although we, coincidently, still have one we could use and can watch it with a through-the-air antenna) - your quote: "hand-writing and buying stamps for all of your correspondence, watching three channels of black and white TV with your rabbit ears, and carrying around extra nickels for the pay phone. Oh, and how exactly did you access this online forum?" isn't really applicable as we could do all those things just 6 years ago. Although the 5 cent phone call was a fairly distant memory still, yet the mechanism that receives the coins works much the same in today's payphone as one over 40 years ago.

If you would like to use memory seat options as the example, since that was the topic, we had memory seats over 20 years ago that worked flawlessly. They were still convenient for those who wanted them on their must-have list, even though they did not have them activating through a handheld keyfob, that was not reading messages of what it should or should not do through some master computer that has so many variables linked through it, it screws up at times if not all the exact factory designed parameters are not met with precision. For example, when the engineers designed it, they did not think that a ham radio operator might be nearby operating wirelessly a multi thousand watt amplifier that is more than capable of bleeding over with much signal-to-noise interference even though those frequencies are far apart. Also see: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f216050

post 6. I could cite other examples but I hope you get my drift.

Just how many years ago was a payphone 5 cents? Now that goes back before B&W TV's.

I apologize in advance if you did not intend for us to take you seriously.

Sam
    You are right, but Mercedes apparently became aware of toy issues about 10 years ago. They had made a decision to stop installing or even offering many of the new things because they were constantly malfunctioning and ruining their name for quality.
    I'd bet they've reversed that position considering how competition is jumping into it. But then does anything really compete with a Mercedes?
    You'd think that in 10 years time they'd have worked out bugs before going mainstream. Yet GM will make some of the same mistakes they discovered in vehicles from 15 years ago?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,025
    You beat me to it. I was thinking of suggesting such or putting a link to a site that would be a ready reference for those of us who get confused with these abbreviations.

That's actually a project we're working on this year - getting together a list of automotive acronyms to put here for easy reference.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,251
    bobinor,
    Can you please email me your VIN? I would like to look into this feature availability for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 298
    Chrisitina & Bob:
    The instant mileage feature that was on the old Cadillac that we had gave a continuous readout. The new DIC on our 2010 Lacrosse CXL allows for an instant readout with the following:
    Enter the menu on the DIC to get the MPG readout. Clear the reading by pushing in the button on the stalk end. The readout will then give the "instant" reading of MPG at the moment and average from the reset until it is reset again. At that point a new "instant" MPG will be displayed.
    Very handy for testing the "instant" milegae with A/C on or off, various speed tests, MPG in different gears, MPG on road or in city driving.
    Also a comment on the Lacrosse level of technology per prior posts:
    The Buick Lacrosse, at various trim levels, offers the needed driver information to include tire pressure, MPG, Fuel range, trip mileage, oil life (NOT LEVEL) and other needed data to operate the vehicle. IMO the data is not overly distracting or demanding of the operators total attention. Good job GM.
    I apologize if you experienced concerns with your vehicles in the past and if it took some time to get them resolved. Unfortunately there are times when situations arise that takes more time than others. If you have any specific complaints or concerns, please feel free to contact me by email. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • gberpagberpa Posts: 44
    Crankee:

I saw this and a prior post re: getting an instantaneous MPG out of the LaCrosse DIC. While I agree, it can be done, it truly is a bit subjective on how fast you do the reset. You also lose your running average MPG so it is only handy when you want to reset. For me, that is usually when I finish filling up as I (for now) am manually recording info to determine mileage and check on things like effect of fuel octane/brand. But, if on an interstate, quickly accelerating out of a service station isn't ideal for getting a reading.

It clearly would be better if Buick implemented this feature mentiioned in the manual on new models and possibly retroactively on our cars via programming changes.
    I second that. And Christina, thank you for someone finally looking into it. Many of these issues should certainly be no more complicated to fix than Microsoft releasing an update to an operating system.
  • bobinorbobinor Posts: 63
    The Instantaneous Fuel Economy function in the Driver Information Center has been a Buick staple for many years. At the least, it was included in my 2001 Regal GS. We shouldn't have to play with a work-around for a function that Buick describes in the owner manual. The DIC is listed as standard equipment for my 2011 CXS and instantaneous readouts should be there.

I have emailed my VIN to Christina - thanks for your interest, Christina. I hope we can get to the bottom of why this feature is missing.
  • bobbob2bobbob2 Posts: 28
    Anyone experience, or hear, trouble getting Remote Keyless Entry transmitter thru TSA check points at airports? My concern is the key blade that pops out like a little switch blade.

I ve had little nail files and screw drivers which were hanging on car keys impounded so this is a serious question.

Thx
    Best check with TSA for rules. That little dull key would not be an item with me. But then the remote might be. Checked luggage rigged to go off with a cell phone or remote would be far more serious.
    Those little files and screw drivers are likely because of what they've learned from prisoners and how they can convert such to a tool of death.
  • dwight9dwight9 Posts: 8
    Have you found out how to set your clock for day light savings time ? I'm having the same problem with my 2010 Lacrosse CXS. I've followed the instructions in the owners manual, but with no success. I noticed in the book that it list instructions for time zone and day light savings time, but nowhere in the car's display do I have such a feature. It seems that maybe there should be a feature like this which might solve our problem.

I contacted the dealer who I bought the car from and they couldn't help me, other than to tell me to bring the car in so that they could look at it. Seems crazy not to be able to set the clock and I don't remember having this problem when the time changed last year, makes me think that maybe the clock automatically changed itself back then, but for some reason this year it did not.

If one of the GM reps reads this note could you pls. reply as to what you think might be the problem. My car has the nav system if that makes any difference and also the clock displays the date as well as the time.

Thanks, Dwight
  • jaadamsjaadams Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. I have followed the instructions in the manual to set the clock to daylight savings time. Each time I turn the engine off the clock reverts to the old time..... I can not find a way to get to the daylight savings time.
    Apparently there are two sets of directions depending upon whether you have the NAV system.
    If you have the expensive option, NAV, there is no way to differentiate for daylight saving time.
    Now isn't that a hoot. Modern technologies, most autoset the clock if there is any way to receive time signals. Clock radios, TV, phones, etc. So here is a vehicle with NAV system and it receives signals from AM/FM/XM, GPS, OnStar, & has Bluetooth which interfaces with cellphones, but no way to accurately update time.
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Posts: 114
    I have a 2010 CXL with NAV. When DST rolled around, I had to manually set my clock an hour forward. It took all of five seconds to accomplish in CONFIG mode. There is an option to check off DST but it seems to have no effect, perhaps because we saw fit to change the date DST takes effect.
  • cooleyddcooleydd Posts: 105
    Some of you may remember my problems with a pause before it would pick up when the accelerator was pressed. It seemed to be very slow to downshift unless the accelerator was pushed to the limit.

Our GM customer service person here picked up my messages and forwarded them to Customer Service. I got an immediate reply in which the person checked with the dealers involved and their actions. He then told me he would forward it to the next step.

Again the response was quick but that is all. The new person just advised me that if the dealers can't duplicate it there is nothing GM can do - Good-bye. Of course I have always maintained that the dealers could not duplicate it nor would they let me take them for a ride to duplicate it. That is exactly the reason I complained. I assumed GM would have some other procedure to have it checked. Seemed like the GM of old is still with us. I presently own 5 GM vehicles, 4 of them are 2007 models and later.

I have always loved my 2010 LaCrosse and have defended it on this list several times. Now with the problem I have with the downshifting and no one will do anything about it - the small minor problems now loom larger and the love for the car is smaller. I am fast becoming a dissatisfied buyer.

Thank you but no thank you - is not an answer - in a way t is a challenge.
  • I certainly understand your frustration.
    I had a problem with my 2010 always feeling like the wheels were out of balance. I would take it in every time it got on my nerves so it was on record. Even if I went for something else, I would make them note the original problem. Finally, the service manager noticed that I had more than five visits with the same problem. He became challenged to get to the bottom of the problem. Finally today, after 14 months and many more visits, a new transmission, new wheels (upgraded) and tires were put on. Problem solved. The dealer was great, when GM customer service only added to my frustration by making me think they were on top of it, when they just strung me along (go figure).
    Good luck and keep after it.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrose
    2011 CSX with NAV, I found not DST or time zone setting.
    I'll second that emotion about GM. There are certainly some in their system that seem to be people just there to pickup check.
    Some may remember my posting about the AC oil filter from factory that was missing anti-drainback valve. I called the number listed with AC Delco site & explained they have a quality problem. They guy acted like so what?
    I took the time to let them know of a quality issue and that is the type of response I got? Shame on GM.
    The price of a filter is cheap unless it cost you an engine.
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Posts: 114
    The menu options are part of Configuration and ONLY are present when the car is in PARK but running.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,907
    Nothing new to report except the road noise from the 19-inch wheels is becoming more pronounced. Between 3K to 5K the noise level was acceptable but now, a little more irritating.

Other than that, the car is smooth and composed and still a head turner. The paint and interior leather are still show room new and the HID Xenon lights are still blindingly bright especially when combined with the fog lights. No longer am I am hesitant to drive at night because I can see so much better with the HID.

All in all I am very satisfied with my CXS except for the road noise which can be a little annoying on winter ravaged roads.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,907
    edited April 2011
    Webbie, my name does not display when I sign in, what gives.
    50324lacrosse,

Glad to hear your issues have now been fixed. If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact customer assistance.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    cooleydd,
    I apologize for your concerns and experience. Can you please email me the case number?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    dwight9,

I would recommend taking the vehicle into the dealership to be diagnosed. Please keep me posted on any information you may find out.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • dwight9dwight9 Posts: 8
    Thanks Caron for following up with me on this. I have an appointment for next Monday to take the car in to see if they can resolve the problem with not being able to set the clock. I'll let you know how I make out. Just seems strange that I didn't have this problem last year when daylight savings time when back in October; I don;t remember having to do anything to affect the time, it just took care of itself, now this time can't do anything to make it hold the time.

Dwight
    e_net_rider,
    I apologize for your frustrations. You are able to turn it off so when you hit the button on the key fob the seat won’t move. This way when you get in the vehicle you can press the button to the memory setting of your choice. This is all detailed in the owners manual.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service