Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about VW TDI engine?

Comments

• Those are a bunch of folks from that other TDI site. ;)

I know Erik, whom the quote.
  • mpg5mpg5 Posts: 68
    i like the 4 door golf better (looks, and practical-i have kids), but i think i want the 1.8t powerband. i have read tdiclub and many edmunds forums, and i'm leaning toward the gti (silverstone gray another plus in gti column), but chipped tdi with approx 45mpg sounds like a great setup. i thought gti was built in germany? or is it built in brazil. what of the tdi golf? mexico? should this be a major concern?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,868
    Get the TDI Golf and chip it. Golf is built in Brazil and GTI is built in Brazil. Brazil, Mexico, Germany you are going to get the same quality in a VW. The problems that VW experience are component problems and not build quality problems (New Beetle excluded). With the warranty now at 5 years and the window regulator problem fixed it is a good time to get a Golf or GTI.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    The Jetta sedan is assembled in Mexico

The Jetta wagon is assembled in Germany
    any chance at finding a 2002? i'm on long island. trend motors maybe? are there any changes/advantages to a 2003?
    www.trendmotors.com

ask for Glen Hagen
    The GL models have power windows for 2003 and manual windows for 2002. Cold weather package is optional for GL in 2003 and not 2002. GLS has standard alloy wheels and sunroof in 2003 and optional in 2002. The price of 2003's are a couple hunded cheaper than comparable 2002's. There was a $1250 dealer cash incentive on nearly all 2002 VW's recently but I think it is no longer available. Best deals I ever saw on TDI's since 1996 when that incentive was available.
    There are some 2002's available though I am not sure what advantage exists for them.
    South Shore VW in Boston, MA has some 2002 TDI inventory and I know they will go $1150 under invoice on 2002 Golf. May be worth the trip. I think Ken is their internet salesperson.
    what are the specs on timing belt change on 2002 golf tdi's? is grey cloth interior the velour type that everyone complains about as being a lint magnet? should i be concerned? i can buy golf gls lux/monsoon for 17840. sounds like a great px. should i be concerned buying from nj and going to long island dealer for service?
    The timing belt on 2002 is 80,000 miles automatic or manual. The timing belt on 2003 is 100,000 automatic or manual and all the parts on the 2003 are the same part numbers as on the 2002. Cloth on the GL in not known as a lint magnet. The velour interior on the GLS which is the only cloth available on the GLS is the one that people complain about as lint magnet. I have two TDI's both with black velour and yes they do attract lint. It cleans off but you have to do it weekly to keep up with it. As long as the dealer where you service a TDI is good then it does not matter where you buy your car.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I find the leather seats more comfortable because of the lumbar adjustment. I think the "standard" lumbar position is too prominent, it is for me anyway. Also nice having heated seats on cold mornings. :)
  • Any available for better fuel economy?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    SpeedTuningusa.com
    goapr.com
    upsolute.com

They all provide chips that increase power, fuel economy, and also effectively void your warranty. :)
    and the puff of black smoke when you initially slam the throttle
  • ... unless you're running your car on biodiesel... ;)
  • m9431m9431 Posts: 38
    Where can I buy decent oil and fuel filters on-line for my '02 TDi? Anything special about changing the oil filter? (Torque, seals, special tools, etc.?)

Thanks in advance!
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    I dont know about the fuel filter, but you can get the oil filter online at www.parts4vws.com, probably the fuel filter as well. You will want to find an oil filter socket to take the cover off, its 76mm 14-flute. I found this at Autozone for like $3.00, I believe it was type B. The great part about these filters is that they just drop in, its a bit less messy than the standard type. The filter does come with two gaskets, one large and one small, that go on the filter cap.
    Go to www.google.com and type in TDI Enthusiast. You will find an excellent resource that will answer all your TDI questions. Also, www.vwparts.com is a good source for VW parts at a discount as is www.dieselgeek.com.
    Thanks for the advice on the oil filter... I took my TDI back to the dealer for the 5k oil change (BTW, I was previously warned several times NOT to even think about changing the oil before 5k). The cost with synthetic oil was $70 for the 5k check--lotsa loot. They used Castrol 15W40 oil which, according to the label on the oil can is VW-approved for TDI. I wonder how this Castrol oil compares to Mobil 15W40 Delvac. Speaking of Delvac, I couldn't find anywhere to purchase it on-line. I did find a one gallon can at a truckstop about 40 miles away for about $30. I wish I could find the Delvac on-line--and in 1 quart cans. Any ideas? I really like my TDI and want to take care of it, especially as I drive 100 miles a day.
    First of all, the Delvac1 is 5w-40, which is the actual VW recommended weight. Unfortunately, Delvac does not come in quart containers, only gallons, so if you need a quart, you would be best advised to settle for a quart of Shell Rotella T. As far as I know, the only place that has Delvac online is www.avlube.com, for somewhere around $80/4 gallon case plus shipping.

On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me how much the dealers rip us off for a service. They definitely did not earn that $70.

Mopar: I like that approach to finding information! :-)
    Delvac is available in 15w40, in conventional oil form (Delvac 1300).

I'm able to find a local supplier in NE PA which sells it for less than avlube, after tax and before avlube's shipping charges.

www.mobil.com

using their distributor locator link

Brenntag Northeast, Inc

Pottsville Pike & Huller Lane

Reading, PA 19612

610-926-4151

Mauger & Co Inc

300 C Lawrence Rd.

West Chester, PA 19380

610-429-8200

http://www.prod.exxonmobil.com/channelpartners/

Excuse my typos in my original note. The synthetic versions are 5W40 and non-synthetic 15W40, Delvac or Rotella, diesel rated. My dealer installed Castrol Synthetic for $8 per quart. Seems that the TDI Club website really touts Delvac synthetic, which is also espensive. Rotella is usually available at WalMart inexpensively, either regular or synthetic. I just wonder how much of a difference exists between Rotella, DelVac and Castrol synthetics. Since the oil changes occur every 10k after break in, using a good oil is important. Have to wonder how much of this is marketing...
    The Castrol Syntec 5w40 for CF rated. The manual says CF-4 and CG-4 (more strict criteria than CF or CG).

Rotella T, I've heard at truck stops is a good product. Choose one brand of oil, and stick with it. It is a CH-4 oil, which supercedes CF-4 and CG-4.
    Do you really need synthetic oil in TDI or it just marketing that hypes the synthetic to get more money? I've looked at the intakes of a few TDI motors that used regular oil instead of synthetic and they were significantly clogged compared to those using Delvac or Amsoil synthetic. So there is big plus for using synthetic right there. Another thing to consider is that the engine is turbocharged and a diesel which are both abusive on oil. The third thing is that the recommended change interval for the TDI on oil is 10,000 miles. Synthetic oils do not break down like dino oils do over this long changer interval. Oil analysis of synthetic vs. regular oil in the TDI has shown conclusively that wear metals and contaminants are very much higher in the regular oil compared to synthetic. Overall there is proof that synthetic is much better for TDI and it is the recommended oil from VW so I think it is very foolish to try to use regular oil.
  • Okay, I want to make sure I am clear on this because I am getting close to my 5K interval.

I want Mobil Delvac Synthetic 5W-40 that is CF-4, CG-4, or CH-4 rated for my tdi?

Is there anything else? I live in Ohio, Should I start looking for an anti-gel diesel conditioner or is it already mixed at the pump? I buy Marathon(Ashland) diesel.

Thank you!
    If it is cold enough in your region that gelling is a problem, then the supplier should be selling winterized fuel.
    Oils which are suitable for the full recommended oil change interval in all climates include, but aren't limited to:

Mobil Delvac 1, 5w40 (full synthetic, a reformulated version of Mobil 1 which is intended for diesel engines)

Chevron Delo 400, 5w40 (full synthetic version)

Shell Rotella T (full synthetic version, not to be confused with Rotella SB synthetic blend or regular Rotella T non-synthetic)

Amsoil Series 3000, 5w30 (full synthetic, CH-4 rated)

Amsoil High Performance, 10w40 (full synthetic, CH-4 rated)

Amsoil semi-synthetic 15w40 (CH-4 rated and high quality, but almost as expensive as the full synthetic, and higher viscosity at low temperatures)

Redline, synthetic version (make sure you get the type meant for diesel engines, with the CG-4 or CH-4 rating)

Also I would add that Valvoline Blue Extreme Synthetic 5W-40 is a good oil and the Rotella T synthetic is available at Walmart. As far as additives it is recommended that an additive such as Power Servcice be added at 4 to 8 oz per tank but is not required. http://www.powerservice.com/

The white bottle is for colder temps. though it can be used year round and the silver bottle is best used in warmer weather. The products are available at Walmart and many other locations. Farm supply stores often have best price on the additives.

there is a specific anti-gel formula also, in the blue bottle.

Diesel Kleen (Silver) and Fuel Conditioner (White) are available at Wal-Mart.

I use the Fuel Conditioner (white) year-round.
  • Thanks for all of the info on synthetic oils for the TDi. Another question though.

Is there a recommendation on oil filter out there? Will any decent filter work? Or just pick a TDi specific filter from the dealership?

Also, do I need to replace the water separator filter or just drain it? If I have to replace it, can I pick one of those up at the parts website or right from the dealership. That isn't something I can get at the tractor supply store, right.
    Mann filters are recommended (and cheaper)

VW filters are fine

Purolator filters are fine (made in Germany and supplied by Hengst, one the OEM suppliers in germany)

www.vwparts.com
    also try www.dieselgeek.com

The water separator is part of the filter. Draining it is a waste of time for the most part. Replace it every 20,000 miles. They cost $47 at the dealership.
This discussion has been closed.