Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• tglogan, sounds like what was wrong with my vehicle. you should have grey keys instead of black, and when you turn the ignition to "start" when all of the lights do thier checks there should be a little red dot somewhere in the middle of your cluster or under the hooded area with the turn signals/check engine lights if your vehicle has that. If that dot doesnt come on and you have the grey keys then the light is burnt out, if its not then it should come on and go out within a few seconds of putting the key in start or starting the car, if it doesn't go out then when you start the car the car will shut off in 2 seconds, 4 or 5 times then not start at all. Simply it thinks you don't have the correct key and that you must be a thief. Take it to the dealer and tell them there must be something wrong with the "Sentry Key Immobilizer System".
  • ghindyghindy Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why all of sudden my red anti-theft or security light flashes 5 times and then stops flashing. It used to flash approx. every second while the vehicle was turned off and key removed from ignition. Help.. perplexed.
  • phillymomphillymom Posts: 30
    We are considering a 2003 T&C ex model with 1 owner and 31,500 miles on it (Certified from a dealer). I am reading some trans issues ...is this common with this model?

I also read in some other forums Chrysler has offered a 7years/70K warranty on this model? Can anyone confirm?
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    I believe the 2003's came with a 7/70,000 powertrain warranty. If it is dealer certfied, isn't the warranty 8/80,000 from date of original puchase? The trans issues were mostly on pre 2000 models before the use of ATF+4 fluid. How much are they asking?
    Thanks, Yes it is dealer cert 8/80,000 and they are asking $15,999 (good or bad price?)
  • fdm2000fdm2000 Posts: 4
    I have searched unsuccessfully for a Chilton or Haynes repair manual for the 2004 Dodge Caravan or T&C. Does anyone know if there is a repair manual available for the 2004s? Need to do a brake job and would like to review any changes/differences from the older vans.
    Well we just bought a 2003 EX model. I had seen for this year they offered a add on cargo organizer. Does anyone have one and are they worth the $250 price tag?

I have kids in the 3rd row and also always carry a small stroller so I thought this would be something that would give me more organized cargo space since it is 2 tier

Image hosting by Photobucket
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,148
    Our 2003 DGC ES has the cargo shelf and I think it is wonderful. Just this last weekend we were down in New Jersey and one of our old neighbors gave us several (rather dirty) pots full of newly dug-up Day Lillies. Given that the cargo area of our van was rather full with soft luggage and such, I needed an area to put the pots where they wouldn't tip, where the wouldn't crush other things and where other things wouldn't crush them. When we got home to New Hampshire they were in perfect condition and all I needed to do was to vacuum out the bin areas (the shelf has two swing up dividers that then form three separate compartments).

Is it worth $250? Yup, every penny.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    We have a 01 DGC EX with the cargo organizer and it's wonderful and worth the $250. It serves as a security cover for the things stored underneath. You can even lower it to the floor if you like. (That would be good for items that needs standing up.) It's easier to get to bags from the third row without having to hang over the seat, when it's in the raised position. We get the most use of ours, when doing grocery shopping. Also, you can remove the whole thing out of the van, it's very easy and takes up no room when having to store it. (This is one thing that you will not find on the competition or vans that have a third row that folds into the floor.) :)
  • I HAVE 2002 WITH 70K MILES AND IT DOES THE SAME THING. I CHANGED THE PLUGS NAD IT STILL DOES IT. ANYONE WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I START CHANGING AND/OR CLEAN PARTS.
    THANKS!!!!!!!
    Ok I am sold. Not do you think their is anywhere I can get one for under $250 :confuse:
  • My niece just bought a 2002 Town & Country with 48k miles. I thought that the powertrain warranty would still be good up to 7 years or 70k miles, however she was informed by Carmax (the dealer) that the original owner did not purchase the powertrain warranty. I thought that was standard on all Chryslers?
    Do a search on ebay.
    Thanks, I did..no luck
  • mikeh6mikeh6 Posts: 2
    When we bought our 2002 T&C, we got a 7year/70k powertrain warranty, however we were informed by the dealer that it was only good for the original owner and got a certificate of some kind from them. I'll look for it and see what it specifically says.
  • Thanks Mike
    I am looking to buy replacement mats for my 2003 T&C EX, also it did not come with 3rd row mats, anyone know where I could buy them all at a decent price?

TIA
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    The 7 year/70k powertrain warranty was good for ONLY the original owner UNLESS the original owner purchased a DaimlerChrysler extended warranty for other components. The purchase of the extended warranty enables the next owner to transfer the extended warranty for a $ 150 transfer fee. It also transfers the 7 year/70K mile powertrain warranty to the 2nd owner.
    My 2002 T&C LX had a 7 year/100k mile powertrain warranty which was transferrable to the 2nd owner because the original owner purchased the DaimlerChrysler "Added Care" 7 year/75k mile extended warranty.
    We are going to buy the second and third row mats from a Daimlerchrysler dealer were we purchased our 01 DGC EX. (The mats were missing when we purchased it.) Each cost about $20.00. I can't find any other place that sales them and the price isn't bad either. ;)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    On our 1996 Caravan I used black 36" wide vinyl carpet runner to make custom fit mats for the second and third rows. This approach has the advantage that this carpet runner material can easily be cut with a scissors to fit around the seat supports which holds the mat in place nicely and also provides a "wall to wall" mat that protects the carpet completely, unlike aftermarket and OEM mats which are always skimpy and ill fitting. This vinyl matting material is quite inexpensive as well. Can usually be purchased at most big box hardware/lumberyards like Home Depot, Lowes and Menards.
    Thanks for the info.
  • chrisk3chrisk3 Posts: 1
    Awesome. My 2002 Town and Country Ltd speedometer went all the way round and back up against the peg, for no apparent reason. Was on the verge of taking it into Chrysler and kissing goodbye to the kids' inheritance. Instead, pressed the trip button, with the engine off, and lots of lights and dancing gauges later, all back to normal. Brilliant tip. Thanks
  • ljoyeljoye Posts: 2
    Having problem with 2001 T&C driver's side power window. Goes down fine but going up is a problem. It goes up 3 or 4 inches at times. Takes about 2 minutes to finally get up. It is an intermittent problem. Any suggestions?
  • drw170drw170 Posts: 2
    I am buying 2001 EX with the ealer installed Mopar Rear Seat Video system, VCR only. I would like to get ride of the VCR and install a DVD but use the exisiting display.

Does anyone make a kit for this? If not, what type of connections does the VCR use to connect to the rest of the system?

Any info on making the switch would be appeciated.

DRW170
  • drw170drw170 Posts: 2
    I am buying 2001 EX with the dealer installed Mopar Rear Seat Video system, VCR only. I would like to get ride of the VCR and install a DVD but use the exisiting display.

Does anyone make a kit for this? If not, what type of connections does the VCR use to connect to the rest of the system?

Any info on making the switch would be appeciated.

DRW170
  • jim001jim001 Posts: 1
    Thank you 97xpresso for this solution!

I had similar problems with my 2003 Limited after I jumped a low battery, even though I had run it down and jumped it many time before. My twist is that before I found this solution I pulled the battery cable for a couple of minutes. When I hooked it back up, the entire gauge cluster was dead as well as pretty much everything else except the radio! Additionally, the gauge cluster was emitting a continuous beep. I unhooked the battery again and this time everything came back except the alarm system and the beep was still there. I did the trip odometer reset (have to hold it in for about 10 seconds) and the speedo and tach reset to normal. But after a couple of minutes everything went dead again, still with the beeping. I pulled the battery cable for about 10 minutes this time and everything came back working. Thanks again for the fix.
    No problem, I don't have an original thought in my head, I just repeat what I've read or heard someplace else.
  • 97 T&C purchased last year with approx. 70K. Noticed slight vibration--dealer "fixed." One month and more miles later it got worse--entire wheel fell off--even rotors ruined. Several felt it was either lugnuts torqued incorrectly or bushing problem. Now I have clunking noise been reading about in forum. Mechanic says it is bushing--showed me how different it looked from other one, but says it's not dangerous. Naturally, I don't want wheel to fall off. Question is.....is this inherent in the vehicle, did I get a lemon, is it dangerous, should I worry about the wheel falling off????
    I have read many posts here on Edmunds and on other sites, and I do not recall hearing a problem as you describe. (wheel falling off) Your van is almost 10 years old and parts do wear out, you should try to find an quality independant shop to check out your front end suspension, the dealer prices will drain you. Sway bar bushings are very inexpensive and easy to install. Worn ones will make a clunking sound, and yes it is not dangerous, if in fact, it is worn sway bar bushings.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,148
    "...did I get a lemon..."

Can't say that I've ever heard anybody refer to a nine year old car as a "lemon". That having been said, a car of that age with "only" 70K miles on it should have lots of life left in IF it has been properly maintained. When I say "lots of life" I mean it. I'm in contact with a number of owners of these vans and several have north of 200,000 miles, one has 370,000 (although he did replace his engine at 360,000). Looked at it that way, my 1998 with "only" 114,000 is a relative baby, and yours is even younger (at least from a mileage perspective).

So, my advice is to find a good conscientious mechanic, have it gone through and drive it for as long as you can. FWIW, bushings aren't the greatest in these vans, however, they are fairly inexpensive to replace.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
This discussion has been closed.