Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Electric-Assist Power Steering (EPS)

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,022
    OMG, Volkswagon, there's another winner! Did you check them reliability reviews out yet? Guess it can't be any worse then your Rolla though!
  • I dont seriously think Ill be buying a volkswagen.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    Haven't had experience with VW, although a good friend swears by the TDI - not that expensive and great handling and standard options.

Dependent on what you want to spend, there are lots of choices, especially if you decided to go CPO. My BMW was the first German car I bought and it really did surprise me - fast, unbelieveable handling - however, didn't like the run flat tires, though. Traded for a 911 which was a totally different world, but not practical for the winter or everyday car, so I bought the Corolla LE as the daily driver. Finally the wife decided her back was more important (especially on long trips) than my Porsche and we bought the MB. Waaaaayyyy more civilized, reasonably fast (but can't compare to the P-car), and great looking.

I'm wrestling with the LE replacement and not sure where to go, but it'll be German -three out of three winners in a row puts Japanese probably a thing of the past.
    Z
  • biffprestonbiffpreston Posts: 59
    edited August 2010
    I'm about to go out and test drive a number of potential LE replacements. This LE has had me pretty upset for some time now. It is the only car I have access to and am stuck driving this every time I must go somewhere. I am somewhat limited financially especially after purchasing this thing but I am considering Mazda 3 or Honda Civic. I can afford one of those. I have never heard of TDI. I'm going to google that right now. I would like a 2.0 Liter engine vs a 1.8 which I can do in the Mazda 3. Actually I would prefer a 2.4 or 2.5 but I cannot afford that. I am ready to enjoy driving again. I used to love the feeling of freedom of driving a car that felt absolutely second nature to drive complete with tactile feedback and road feel sensation and required no effort to turn the wheel and to sharply maneuver with crisp accuracy and with a steering system that drew itself to a precise center position unless the driver chose otherwise.
  • I test drove an LE with 7 miles on it and it was awful. The steering on my '96 Altima with 75K felt far tighter than the Corolla's. During a test drive on the street car seems to wander because the steering feels so loose. It had no feedback almost like a video game. The brakes were lousy too. Salesman tried to tell me they were the same brakes as in the Lexus IS250 because they are both Toyotas.

It is a shame, if not for the steering and brakes an S Corolla would be really nice.

I have rented a Mazda 3 with the 2.0. Superior steering and brakes, on smooth payment the car rides like a luxury car. The car does not absorb bumps as well as the Corolla though. Highway MPG was great. I found the seats in the Corolla far more comfy. Did not buy the Mazda b/c the seats hurt my back.
  • The fact that Toyota knew about the sticking throttle problems and did nothing about it is reprehensible so I would not say they are the best car manufacturer. How about requiring owners to pay $600 to the dealer to activate an alarm (not including the cost of the alarm) on a new car that the buyer has paid for?

That said Toyotas are generally very reliable but i don't think that excuses their behavior.

Also, look how much equipment an Elantra gives you for less money than a Corolla. I like the look of the S in blue and really wanted to like the car but couldn't.
  • A test drive is nothing. Imagine getting stuck not driving an S but a cheaper LE all the time in heavy traffic and everywhere. It's a real chore to drive. Positively Dreadful with a capital D.This is my delimna. I am looking forward to test driving a 3. Ill pay particular attention to the seat aside from the steering which at this point is my main issue. What are you considering buying at this point smallcar?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    I haven't owned a Toyota in more than 20 years, but be careful what you're alleging, and visit the Toyota Accelerator Recall discussion. Neither Toyota, nor the NHTSA, nor anyone else for that matter, has been able to definitively link the problems to the throttle. Despite massive investigation, the only link is that drivers believe the throttle to be the problem.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

edited August 2010
    Interesting, where did you get your information on Toyotas knowledge of a sticking throttle? Are you alleging a cover-up? I'd love to read about that. Don't want to get too far off track though as this is an EPS thread.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,911
    I like the Elantra, but comparably equipped (i.e. with ESC, which is standard on the Corolla but only available on the high-end Elantra SE), the Elantra isn't much less expensive than the Corolla these days. And for those looking for a car w/o electric steering, the Elantra isn't it. Although I personally don't have any problem with how the Elantra steers, and I've driven many of the current generation cars.
  • amg1099amg1099 Posts: 14
    so the part is in order for me. let's see what the ECU is going to do with the on-center feel of my car.
  • pekelvrpekelvr Posts: 61
    I must say that when I first got it back it was tight, but yesterday when I drove I wasnt sure if my mind was playing tricks with me so I called Toyota and they said take it in for specs on the alignment to see if from the time they put in new unit till now if it is out of alignment, So I will keep you posted. it is definitely not as severe as before but the car is still following the ruts in the highway. I have to "make it" do what I want.
    edited August 2010
    It's my belief and its just a belief, that there are going to be severe limitations in what can be done with the replacement of the ECU. I cannot imagine it affecting the handling of the car beyond possibly lessening the straight roadway and highway veering problem. I'm not sure if you have any complaints beyond the veering either. I certainly do. Good luck with it.
  • I just test drove a Mazda 3 and a Honda Civic. Huge difference between the way the Civic and mazda 3 drive and the Corolla. Night and day. This was especially evident with the Civic. The Cvic was very easy to steer. Extremely easy to turn the wheel and was very agile. Sharp crisp turns were easy. Zipping into a parking space after making a sharp turn into the parking lot was no problem. Driving with one hand was a breeze with the Civic. The mazda 3 had more resistance in the steering than the Civic. It still handled quite nicely. It had a slightly larger engine at 2 liters vs the Civics 1.8. My preference was for the Civic to be honest. It was so easy to steer the civic with one hand as well as hold with one hand on straight roads and the highway. I wish i had never set foot on the parking lot of that Toyota dealership. It was a dread having to get back into my heavy refrigerator on wheels with a weak 1.8 and dreadful column mounted electric steering after driving these cars.
  • pekelvrpekelvr Posts: 61
    Biff now that is something we can agree on!
    I too test drove both 2010 models but for me I did prefer the Mazda 3. I too hated getting back into the 2008 Corolla at the time.....but the Toyota 2010 Corolla has made me a believer in them again. I test drove a used Mazda 3 off another lot and let me tell you....the car had a muffler sound, it was not as easy and crisp either...so I wonder what the life expectancy is on these cars. I remember walking away thinking I wonder who will last the longest before needing repairs....hmmm just a thought!
    edited August 2010
    I cannot imagine the 2010 Corolla handling well. I cannot imagine the 2010 Corolla handling any differently than my 2009 Corolla with the exact same steering and absolutely no design differences. Same car different year. Maybe I'll take one for a test drive then come back and share my thoughts. I'll be re test driving a Civic and Mazda 3 as well on the same trip to a different auto mall so I'll be able to compare side by side with those. There are twice as many complaints to the NHTSA regarding the 2010 Corolla steering as the 2009 Corolla as well. I don't feel inspired to believe that Toyota made some sort of change between the years.
    If I'm not mistaken you had one of the Corollas with the fouled up steering right? So why wouldn't someone elses new Corolla handle and steer correctly? Your assuming again that everyones Corolla is screwed up like yours is.
    edited August 2010
    It's not a matter of "having one of those Corollas". It's a matter of some people are simply more tolerant of driving cars with lifeless dull electric steering that seriously inhibits maneuverability and others are not. I believe the instability issue on straight roads and highways was the least tolerable to everyone owning the cars but EPS has a deleterious effect on maneuverability. You can turn the car but you cannot make sharp accurate turns. It should be very obvious to anyone test driving a Mazda 3 and or Civic side by side with a Corolla. I did some maneuverabilty testing when I went on my test drive in the two aforementioned cars which I did not think to do on the corolla test drive. It's something that can be explained in print such as on this message board but to truly understand one needs to be aware of the negative effect that EPS has on handling then a side by side comparison of the Corolla with EPS and of models not using EPS will fill in the gaps.

I urge anyone considering a Corolla to listen to what I am saying then test drive a Civic and a Mazda 3 in addition to the Corolla and you might want to do some sharp steering tests. It's very simple and the salesman riding with you absolutely should not mind whatsoever. For the steering test pull sharply into a parking lot and then turn sharply to steer the car quickly into a parking spot. See if the Corolla can even do that. I'm talking about making sharp quick turns not slow metoculous turns like you might see an 80 year old make. You can drive like that as well in a car than handles well if that suits your fancy but you will also have the option of accurate maneuverability when needed. You will not have this option on a car that handles poorly. Do 2 or 3 sharp steering maneuverability tests with each car. Notice how each car responds to your steering. I'm not telling anyone to do this but you might want to go on the highway and see if you can hold the steering wheel with one hand and keep the car moving straight and true for 3 to 5 miles without a lot of effort. I just did this on my test drive of the Civic and Mazda 3. See if this is comfortable on the Corolla compared to the Civic and Mazda 3. Remember that test driving a car than handles poorly and being stuck with one every single day and having to rely on using it as your sole transportation are two different things. Take note of how much work is involved in steering the Corolla relative to the Civic and Mazda 3. Notice the lack of steering feel in the Corolla versus the Civic and Mazda 3. Notice how wobbly and wierd the steering on the Corolla is relative to the Civic or Mazda 3. Listening to a dissatisfied customer and someone who sounds like a customer service rep for Toyota arguing over this issue goes only so far. I want people to be aware of the issues and characteristics relative to electric power steering and to be aware of alternative vehicles that put the Corolla to shame in terms of handling. Switching to EPS saves the companies switching to them tens and or hundreds of millions of dollars. This is what is behind EPS. It's not a neat new nifty invention that is good for the consumer. All that no belts and hoses crap and no parasitic losses crap. Ill take the belts and hoses and the parasitic loss. They manufacture these EPS systems cheaply off an assembly line and they are cheap to install in the cars. It is easy for anyone to do some side by side comparisons and see just how badly cars with electric steering handle on the road and I would urge anyone considering purchasing a car with EPS to do so. You are going to be stuck with it after you buy it, so you owe it to yourself. i'm not telling anyone what to do but the advice I have just given about what you might want to do is from the heart.
    My 2009 Corolla does not act or react anything like you describe ! ! ! !
  • I had to do some commuting yesterday and I will reconfirm that my2009 Corolla with EPS is the worst handling and driving car that I have ever owned. Rotten piece of junk and I would highly recommend that folks seriously reconsider before buying a Corolla with EPS.