Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,683
    I just passed 75,000 miles on my '99 Quest and haven't had anything unusual out of pocket so far; just the normal recommended maintenance. But the Nissan drivetrain warranty went to 5/60k miles, so it was an easier decision for me to forgo the extended warranty.

Usually the extended warranty is just another profit center for the dealer, unless you get "lucky" and your tranny falls out. I skip them - Revka on the other hand seems sold on them. You may be able to price shop your quote and get a better deal on one too.

Good luck deciding!

Steve, Host
  • I have a 2002 Villager with 4200 miles on it. I went to put it in reverse and heard a noise. The transmission range indicator broke and it don't show corrct gear anymore. Anyone else had this problem? I have a 99 Mazda truck and it did the same thing. The dealers act like this is a rare problem, but it happened to me twice now and never before in my 40 years of driving. The part that breaks is a little white plastic clip that is made so thin, that it breaks, plain and simple. Why can't Ford make the part better. Would have only costs maybe a penny more to make it stronger. It is one job to repair as you have to disassemble the dash. Fortunately my Villager is under warranty, but I will come out with a bummed up dash, I am sure, given the quality of todays mechanics!
  • The last couple of weeks we notice a gas odor if we leave the door or windows open after we started our '99 Villager. During normal operation we do not smell anything wrong. I looked at the engine compartment but could not see any leaks or wet spots near the fuel injection, hoses or the throttle body. I did not use a mirror to check behind the intake manifold though. Any suggestions as to what might cause this?
  • Post #1152 mentions a vibration. We have a 1995 Villager and have lived with the same problems for 7 years. The car itself is a dog and the vibration happens only at certain speeds. We have paid money for the dealer to try and fix it but he never can and even though he claims to find problems he hasn't the slightest idea what he is talking about. I think that the problem, like vibrations in any mechanical system, is due to resonant frequencies in the system that manifest when conditions are just right. If this confuses you, recall the story of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington State. If I were you, post #1152, I wouldn't live with it and I'd harrass and hound your dealer until they give you another car under the lemon law.
  • I now have almost 65k miles on this one and have had various problems:

Throttle sticking - Dealer fixed it by replacing a module. FORD PAID FOR IT!!

Auto-climate control failed - Fan controller died. FORD PAID FOR IT!! That was out of warranty!

New stuff:

Audiofile Radio - plays fine but the display works when it wants to. Any ideas??

Steering sticks in cold weather. Just freezes up and will not go past 45 degrees. I can let it roll to the end of the drive and it starts working fine. Any ideas? One mechanic says maybe steering seals @ $400. Fluid level is fine and the belt does not squeal under preasure...

Front rattles on bumps. Every one says everything looks fine under there. I am not so sure.

Otherwise, it has been a good traveling vehicle. Too bad I bought it new and cannot afford to trade it. With out the compressor running, I can get up 22 mpg. I cannot complain too much.
    The radio display issue comes up all too often - the steering problem doesn't ring any bells, and doesn't sound too safe!

An Advanced Search in this topic for "radio" will find a lot of posts like this one:

stickguy Sep 23, 2002 6:35pm

Have you replaced your shocks and struts? I'm at 75,000 on my '99 Quest and I'm overdue. No rattles, but too much sway.

Steve, Host
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 26,700
    Thanks Steve. Saved me the trouble of retyping the details.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• for UPset1's posting========
    This might help-on the 1999-2000 Quest's One or more of the five bolts that mount rack-and pinion steering gear may have been incorrectly tightened; Could result in steering looseness and noise or vibration. Eventually, bolts could fracture or fall out. I found this information on the consumerguide.com. This recall does not refer specifically to your Villager but If I ever have that problem on my 2001 quest that's the first thing I will check.
  • thanks for all the helps in this discussion group that i got the "check engin" light problem solved half year ago. now, new problem surfaced.
    3 days ago, my 95 villager suddenly got a rough idle and engin is noiser than before. i can feel the vibration when stop at traffic lights. i noticed that a stronger smell came out of the exhust.
    any suggestion on where and how to start the check up?
    thanks.

-kent

btw, how can i search by key words through all 1200 messages in this group?
    Kent, select Advanced Search on the left sidebar and then click the button to search just in this board (as opposed to all Vans discussions, etc.).

Steve, Host
  • Couple of days ago, I posted a message (#1208)reporting a rough idle problem. Today, I got it solved with less than $10. To share the experience with you all, it was an old distributor rotor head.

By the way, thank you Steve for your help on surfing the group.

-Kent
    Thanks for the props and thanks for reporting back with the solution.

Steve, Host
  • I purchased a 1996 Mercury Villager in February, 2000, from a used car dealer. The dealer told me that the van came with a limited warranty. The check engine light came on within the first week, and a screnching, and popping and clicking sound when I'm turning started about the same time, and the cruise control did not work, and the power steering was making a loud noise. The dealer would not fix any of these problems. He said that these parts were not under warranty. I then asked the dealer for a maintenance report and to see the title, he denied me to see any of these. I hit a dear returning home from work one night. When I took the van to be inspected by the insurance company, the agent noted that there had been previous front end damage that bolts and screws were missing from the radiator also. This did not result from hitting the deer said the agent, because it was rusting, and the insurance company would not repair that damage. Because I have bad credit, I purchased this villager from a buy here pay here dealer. I have paid more than $15,055.52 on the villager and owe more than $5000 more to pay it off. I am trying very hard to improve my credit rating. If I default on this loan, it will hurt my credit rating even more. I have had to have repairs done to the breaks twice, and the villager is in need of the same repair again. I keep the oil changed regularly, and do all maintenance that my being a woman knows how to do. Surely there must be some resolve for me to solve this problem. The popping, clicking, and screnching is getting worse. I'm barley getting by and can't afford to buy another car. I was hoping this one would be good for me, since the dealer told me that it was in the best condition. Are there any suggestions for resolve for me?
  • to hear stories about the Villager like this one. Sounds to me like you got hold of a dishonest dealer, or at least one who doesn,t stand behind his product. The amount you paid and still owe sounds like you might have paid a preium for a 96 Villager Van. the popping and grinding noise you hear while turning could be the sway bar. You can get a report on your Van over the internet, however the dealer should furnish it to you. Good Luck
  • kentzzskentzzs Posts: 13
    My 95 Villager got a broken crankshaft near timing belt. This time, I cannot fix it by myself. It is no good to spend so much money to fix it at shop.
    I noticed that it is a pretty common problem for Quest/Villager. Do you guys think it should be a quality problem of the maker? Should they pay for it?
    If you know any information about it, please let me know.
    Thanks.

-Kent
  • cduongcduong Posts: 70
    1192 of 1214 EGRC-BPT Location by tcdenver Nov 20, 2002 (02:32 pm)
    I got "Check Engine" light problem with my 94 Quest. I read several messages here about "Check Engine" and many pointed to EGRC-BPT. Can anyone help me locate EGRC-BPT for my 94 Quest?

Also, what might happen if I choose to ignore the "Check Engine" light? Everything else seems to be just fine. The van is running very smoothly, except that annoying "Check Engine" light.

In reference to the post # 1192: My '96 Villager has a check engine light on for about 3 months. Last week I took my van to my trust worthy local mechanic for regular maintenance and told him about this problem, he pulled out a rubber hose behind the manifold and replaced it in one minute (sure enough it was cracked wide open). Within 15 minutes of driving, the check engine light went out and never came back... So it's the problem... Thanks for info from this web site, it's wonderful... By the way he did not charge me for this...
    Kentzzs, you may try visiting your local Nissan dealer with the details and maybe the service manager will offer to knock off some of the price. There is a tsb about this.

As you say, this is a known problem and is related to improper tension on the timing belt.

More here: Villager Quest FAQs (Click on Subtopics and drill down to Broken Crankshafts).

Steve, Host

• pda97pda97 Posts: 91
    My 99 GXE's right wheel was "clicking" for a while. Turned out to be a loose cotter pin. You may want to check it out.
  • I recently purchased a Villager and am very happy with it.The only odd thing is that there is a pop or clunk sound coming from under the front floor area sometimes when I turn right at a slow speed.Does anyone know what this may be?
    There are a few "clunk" posts in here (found with the Advanced Search tool):

ebhnd Apr 10, 2001 4:54pm

Are you sure it's not coming from the rear?

Steve, Host

This discussion has been closed.