Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A4 noise levels

sreebobbysreebobby Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Audi
I just purchased a 2008 A4 2.0 T , 4 cylinder turbo with 16,000 miles on it. I am pretty happy with the car's performance except for the noise levels. The car seems noisy compared to the other cars that i have driven & this seems to a worrying factor for me. I could'nt notice much during the test drive for some reason. Is this common among all the audi's ? I have read reviews that AUDI's are noisy because of the turbo engine. Is there any way i could the noise levels by getting something done. Waiting for your valuable responses on this.

Comments

• Options
    rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    By "noisy" I assume you are referring to the engine noise and particularly when the car is idling. I have an 07 A4 2.0T and yes the engine is a bit loud, sort of like a diesel. The reason for this has to do with the direct injection. This may sound stupid but don't focus on it. Turn up the radio a tad and be happy with the car, because it is a characteristic of these engines you really can't remove.
  • Options
    akhildakhild Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

Were you able to figure out the loud engine noise? I just bought a 2008 a4 2.0t, and i notice the same thing. Engine revs very loudly at low speeds (~30-40mph) and then quiet's down substantially past that threshold. I really don't think it's a "problem" per say, but certainly not what I was expecting, and can be very annoying at times - especially when driving on local roads!!
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited July 2011
    About 16 months ago I bought a '07 A4 Quattro 2.0T automatic with 36,000 miles on it from a private party. It now has 54,000 miles, and is my wife's daily driver. Neither my wife nor I mind the engine noise. in fact, I rather like it, but it is louder than our Acura TL V6 under acceleration. When cruising at highway speeds they're about the same, although the Audi is louder under acceleration, or when going up a hill. They're both nice cars, in different ways, but the Audi handles like a dream. It's sportier than the Acura, but the Acura has compensating advantages.

The major problem we've had with the Audi has been high oil consumption. I reported this to the dealer while the car was still under warranty, and after several rounds of complaints, countered by denials that there was a problem by the dealer, Audi agreed to repair it. They completely disassembled the engine and replaced the rings, head gaskets, and various other parts, under the factory warranty. Hopefully that fixed the problem, but we haven't driven it enough yet to be sure.

Since you've got a similar A4 of the same year, I'd be interested in learning about your experience, and what you think of your A4. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    eddie650eddie650 Member Posts: 26

I have a 2005 A4 Cabriolet and yes, it has a noisy engine, but fortunately I only notice it at idle or very slow speeds. It's using 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Is this something that's abnormal and should be repaired?