Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan 2.4 L engine

tlozanotlozano Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Dodge
I am looking at a Dodge Caravanwith a 2.4 L engine. I need some advice. I don't drive like a bat out of h--- or haul heavy stuff.Will this engine be good. Or should I look for something else. I love the looks of this van, but am worried about the motor size? Any help please?

Comments

• jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan with the 2.4L engine. No major problems at 42k miles. I bought it new in September 2006 and switched to synthetic oil at 10k miles. The only minor problem is that the serpentine belt tends to glaze between 15k and 20k miles. At that point, the belt starts to squeak. I've had to replace it twice (about $50 each time part and labor). As for gas mileage, I have got as high as 32mpg when driving at a constant speed of 60mph (N.Y. Thruway). Generally, on the highway I get between 24 and 28 mpg. Around town I get 22 to 24 mpg. I just purchased a 2007 PT Cruiser convertible and it has the same engine. One of the reasons that I bought it was because I'm satisfied with our Caravan. Note that the 4 cylinder 2007 Caravan comes with a different 2.4L engine. It is Chrysler's new "world" engine that is also found in the Sebring. This engine produces more horsepower and I believe uses variable valve timing technology. Good luck.
  • leoman09leoman09 Member Posts: 4
    I also have a 01 caravan with the 2.4L. According to everyone I have talked to this engine is better than the 3.3. I had a 97 Dakota that had the same engine that I purchased new and it ran great for 11 years. No major problems!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    -- Is the 2.4 four banger a good engine? Yes.

-- Is the 2.4 liter mill better than the Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 that was offered in some vans prior to 2001? Debatable, but in my opinion, yes, it's a much better engine (there are Mitsusquishy fans out there that would say otherwise).

-- Is ithe 2.4 better than the 3.3 and 3.8 liter V6 twins? Not a chance. FWIW, these two Chrysler V6 engines are well known for delivering an easy quarter of a million miles with nothing more than basic maintenance (they don't even need timing belt changes as they use a timing chain).

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • jtljjtlj Member Posts: 5
    i own a 2002 dodge caravan with a 2.4 liter motor, it has been out of service the last couple of months it only has 32,000 miles on it i had it looked at two different garages the mechanics dont know whats wrong with it i tryed to trade it in but it is only worth 500 dollars according to the dealers i asked
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Might you elaborate on the circumstances of its "out of service" status?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jtljjtlj Member Posts: 5
    to clarify out of service i do not drive it because if i turn off the motor i have to wait one hour for it to restart it is now sitting at a garage and mechanics are trying to repair the problem the cam and crank sensors have been replaced the oxygen sensor has been replaced because the obd2 scan code said it was bad the gas filter has been replaced the fuel pump checked out ok and asd relay also checked out ok and the coil pack is ok
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I had a problem that seems similar to this with a Subaru. When it does not start, do the engine still crank, or do you get no response at all? Mine would crank, but not start. Unfortunately, I am not exactly sure what solved the problem with mine because I just learned to live with it rather than doggedly hunt it down. Eventually, the knock sensor went bad. I replaced that and the cam/crank sensors, and never had any problems with those sensors or the no-start situation again. :confuse:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.