Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Buick Enclave AC Problems

Comments

• nubrinubri Mobile, ALPosts: 1

I have a new to me 2008 Buick Enclave that I've had for little over a year and I love the vehicle, but having problems with the AC as many others have and having problems with the sunroof leaking into the vehicle when it rains and it rains a lot here. I have to take a long trip in about 2 weeks and I'm afraid that the AC will go out on me during the trip making it not only a long road trip, but an uncomfortable one too.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,252

Hello nubri,

Sorry to hear that you are having these concerns with your 2008 Buick Enclave. Have you visited your dealership to have these concerns addressed? I'd be happy to connect with them on your behalf, if any assistance is needed please feel free to send an email to [email protected] with your VIN. Thank you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• I have a 2008 Enclave which I believe to be a lemon! THE DELIVERY DATE WAS FEBRUARY 2009. I have had water draining from the sunroof for 4years... No one could figure out why. Returned it to the dealer within the first month of ownership. The back hatch currently does not work. The dealership had it "fixed" several times. Power steering replaced twice. Rack and pinion replaced and a steering pump replaced for total of 4 times. Steering is still locking up and loud noise when I turn left. Seat belt in the 3rd row would not disengage resulting in my son being choked until a another car stopped and cut the restraint off with a knife. Dealership replaced entire harness and new locking mechanism installed. Airbag light illuminated 2010..dealership fixed faulty connection siab. Airbag light illuminated again 2012. Dealership "fixed" the problem. I have taken it back 2 additional times with recall notification s and now the side airbag light is not engaging when passenger is in the seat..resulting in the airbag service light illuminating again. I have replaced the water pump and found that .gm issued a special bulletin covering waterpumps until 120,000 miles or 10 years. I am trying to get refund now. And of course let's not forget the malfunctioning A/C. Faulty brackets holding the4 pipes causing friction and subsequently the constant rubbing together caused holes inthe tubes behind the right rear tire. .GM did put some heat "wrap" after it was made to prevent such rubbing. I have run off into theditch twice andhad onecrash as a result of the steering wheel locking up. NO luck with the dealership getting this dangerous car OFF the road.

• pjkbpjkb Posts: 1

I have had my 2008 Enclave at my dealership 3 or 4 times with air conditioning problems!! I travel on vacations on the weekends and that is when it quits working properly. After being on the road a few hours, vapor starts coming out of my vents and no cold air and no fan speed. I take it to the dealership and they run it for awhile and it won't do it of course because it only happens after several hours. My extended warranty is about to be up and they cannot do anything about it because they cannot get it to duplicate the problem for them. I've read all these posts concerning everyone having problems like mine, why has there not been a recall!!!!

We understand your frustration, pjkb. Until your dealership is able to duplicate the exact issue they're limited in the steps they can take to fix your air conditioning. If you'd like for us to create a case for you within our system we can document this issue for future reference, as well as reach out to your dealer. If interested just private message your full contact information, VIN, mileage and dealership name to us on the forum, or via email at [email protected]

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@pjkb said:
    I have had my 2008 Enclave at my dealership 3 or 4 times with air conditioning problems!! I travel on vacations on the weekends and that is when it quits working properly. After being on the road a few hours, vapor starts coming out of my vents and no cold air and no fan speed. I take it to the dealership and they run it for awhile and it won't do it of course because it only happens after several hours. My extended warranty is about to be up and they cannot do anything about it because they cannot get it to duplicate the problem for them. I've read all these posts concerning everyone having problems like mine, why has there not been a recall!!!!

• GM CUST CARE DIDNT RESPOND TO MY POST...SKIPPED IT, but responded to the above comment and a comment below. Is there a reason you are ignoring the post? I 'll repost for you. But, now I can add to the list of malfunctions.... that my transmission went out and they want to charge me 4000.00 to fix. I owe 8,000.00 in REPAIRS...I owe 5,000.00 on the car itself for a grand payment of 13,000.00 This is not including the airbags that are still malfunctioning. No wonder GM is getting rich on their LOYAL customers.

@tandlbeard said:
    I have a 2008 Enclave which I believe to be a lemon! THE DELIVERY DATE WAS FEBRUARY 2009. I have had water draining from the sunroof for 4years... No one could figure out why. Returned it to the dealer within the first month of ownership. The back hatch currently does not work. The dealership had it "fixed" several times. Power steering replaced twice. Rack and pinion replaced and a steering pump replaced for total of 4 times. Steering is still locking up and loud noise when I turn left. Seat belt in the 3rd row would not disengage resulting in my son being choked until a another car stopped and cut the restraint off with a knife. Dealership replaced entire harness and new locking mechanism installed. Airbag light illuminated 2010..dealership fixed faulty connection siab. Airbag light illuminated again 2012. Dealership "fixed" the problem. I have taken it back 2 additional times with recall notification s and now the side airbag light is not engaging when passenger is in the seat..resulting in the airbag service light illuminating again. I have replaced the water pump and found that .gm issued a special bulletin covering waterpumps until 120,000 miles or 10 years. I am trying to get refund now. And of course let's not forget the malfunctioning A/C. Faulty brackets holding the4 pipes causing friction and subsequently the constant rubbing together caused holes inthe tubes behind the right rear tire. .GM did put some heat "wrap" after it was made to prevent such rubbing. I have run off into theditch twice andhad onecrash as a result of the steering wheel locking up. NO luck with the dealership getting this dangerous car OFF the road.

Hello tandlbeard,

My apologies we seem to have missed your post. I am sorry to hear that you have had multiple concerns with your Enclave. I can certainly understand your frustration. I'd be happy to further discuss your situation and give your dealership a call on your behalf. You are welcome to reach out to us via email at [email protected] with your contact information and VIN. We look forward to hearing from you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• rdavid25rdavid25 Posts: 1

I have 2010 Envlave that was not cheap and have had nothing but issues with the A/C system since it hit 50,000 miles and the warranty ran out. It has been to the dealer because the defrost stopped working, front passenger side heat stopped working in mid winter and now air conditioning in back is not working. I have been told this is an issue with some switch? and that it is common and there are still 3 other "swtichs" than can go out eventually and will need to be replaced at another $100 each to be fixed. I have driven many different less expensive vehicles that this has not happened with and my husband drives a 2010 Nissan with many more miles and has never had such an issue. I would probably not buy another buick because of these issues.

Hello rdavid25,

I am sorry to hear that you've experienced multiple concerns with your 2010 Buick Enclave. I understand that unexpected costs are frustrating. I'd like to collect your information and document your concerns in our system. If you're interested, please send an email to [email protected] Attn:Andraya with your VIN and contact information.

Best,
    Adndraya
    GM Customer Care

• I am writing this to help other Enclave owner's out. This forum has helped me.

I have a 2010 Enclave now with 90,000 miles on it. All my problems began much earlier though. I have had and am still having all the common AC Evaporator problems as everyone else. I am so thankful I found this forum because we never would have discovered the root problem with the AC. We also had the Power Steering problem repaired in the Spring. $1300 later it is working fine. For those of you who don't know. It starts by making just a whining noise, but it advances until you actually lose power steering when turning at times. This seems dangerous to me. I felt dangerous as my steering sometimes would almost lock up when I was in the middle of a busy intersection. I never got a call or any notification from GM about the problem though, and we can know from these forums it is VERY common.

Now my car is in the shop at the GM dealership being serviced for the 5th time for AC problems. First time, last summer AC basically quit blowing any air at all. They replaced compresser and it work for a couple months until it quit blowing cold air. We took it back and they added Freon as they said it was low. They put dye and said they could tell if there was a leak when we bring it in again. Worked fine until this Spring - not blowing cold air again. Again, they tell me it was out of Freon but they couldn't see a leak because it had been too long since dye had been put it. They added Freon again and a different dye and told me to bring it back in a couple weeks to check for leaks. From this point the car never seemed to blow cold enough air. I leave in Georgia and it's hot hear. My car never cooled me off, and I tend to be cold all the time. My husband's Toyota freezes me so I knew something wasn't right. After sitting in the hot sun, my car would not cool off in a 30 minute communte. I have to dress professionally for my job - lined suits in sumer, so this was not acceptable. When I took it back to get it checked Freon a couple of weeks later - no leaks. I had them check the AC over again because I knew something wasn't working right. They found nothing. Said the AC was working fine. And it does when it's not so hot outside, or the car has been in a garage, or the car's not idling at a stop light. I had them check it one more time when I had the oil changed - still they found nothing. I was beginning to think it was just how the fancy dual AC in the Enclave worked, and that was as good as it was going to get.

Well, last weekend my family took a 3 hour trip, and the AC quit blowing cold air at all during the ride. You could hear it blowing hard, but no air pushing out. During our hot ride, I googled "Buick Enclave AC problems" and found this forum. I couldn't believe everyone was having the same problems as me! One person mentioned turning off the car for a few minutes and cranking it back up. I did that - and the AC worked again as far as blowing. But, like normal for my car, the air was not very cool. We saw the problems with the Evaporator Core on this forum so we took it to the dealer today and told them what happened and the information we found her. We left the car with them, and the just called and said - yes, it is the Evaporator Core, and they can fix it. It will be a $2000 repair. They will give me some credit though for the past times I've had the car in the dealership being worked on.

I'm not uphappy with the dealership, but I'm extremely dissatisfied with GM. Based on this forum and others, it clear that these problems with Power Steering and AC have been going on for years. No recalls (safety issue with power steering), no letter to GM owners, and it seems like no communication with the service departments of these recurring problems.

My husband drives a Toyota Tacoma. It has 190K miles on it. No problems. Before that we owned 3 Toyota Camrys. One of those had more than 200K miles on it when we sold it. No problems with any of them. I sold my last "plain" Camry because I fell in love with the Fancy Buick Enclave and all the room. I love the way it drives, especially for such a large car. This was my dream vehicle. Since I have had such good experience with cars in the past (all Toyotas), we chose not to purchase an extended warranty. I have never had an extended warranty in the past, so I felt it would be a waste of money. Mistake! Buy an extended warranty if you buy a GM. It sounds like they at least do a good job of honoring that.

I just logged a complaint on the phone with GM Customer service. It didn't sound like they would do anything except contact the dealer's customer service department. I was very clear with them though. This was not a dealer service problem. It was a GM design and customer service problem. I would love to hear back from GM and end this on a positive note. I will let you know if I do.

• Like many of you, I am also having issues with my AC. Let me start by saying how much I love my beautiful 2010 Enclave. I purchased the vehicle used a year ago and it was everything I wanted at the time. I skipped on purchasing the extended warranty with hopes of really enjoying the vehicle and trading up to a brand new model. I guess I should have done more research. I was sure that GM was reliable and wouldn't break down within another 3 years. Wrong!
    Last Friday, we decided to make a 3 hour trip to visit family. The drive was fine, no problems with the AC. However, the next day we hop in excited to sight see and take the kiddos to the park. And guess what?!! The AC starts blowing full blown HOT air from both the rear and front vents. WOW!! You really don't understand a heat index of 110 F until you're getting it full blast in an insulated Buick! We tried turning it ON/OFF, adjusting the AUTO settings, trying REAR only.... Nothing! What a disappointment. Not only that, but just to turn around and head back took 5- 10min because of the congested traffic. My poor kiddos tried to bare with us! We turned off the AC, rolled all the windows down, and just tried to breathe at a steady pace! As I looked back at them, they were really red, hair drenched in sweat, and complaining of the heat. Ugh! It ticks me off just thinking about it! Hot air was continuing to come through the bottom even though the AC was off.
    The next day I did a little research and turns out that the AC issues on the Enclave have been going on since 2008! Why,o why has there not been a recall?? I'm soo glad I didn't decide to remote start my vehicle and have the kids get in before me. I sometimes use the remote start to cool the car down before we enter it! It wouldn't have worked that day or even now... AC is on only HEAT mode for some reason.
    During my research, I found this website. Really glad I did! I read through the comments and seriously could not believe how many of us having been going through this. Not only those who live in Texas where the heat can cause death but those up North where the chilly cold weather can cause frost bite. What's the deal with these AC problems?? Why hasn't GM stepped in?
    Well, I called GM. With these exact same questions... Hoping a recall had been sent out by now. The very nice representative informed me that NOTHING for the AC had been issued but that there were two other ones that should get looked at. I asked about my warranty... And what do you know! It EXPIRED 1 DAY BEFORE I CALLED. He told me that he would email Sherri or Mallory to see if there was anything they could do. Being it was the wknd, I got a call from the dealership Monday. I was advised to get a diagnostic done $130/hour... I scheduled the appointment. Need to know what's wrong, right? Just got a call... It's the Evaporator Core! Ding, Ding! No surprise here after reading this forum. And guess how much for just the front one?? $2,000!! I mean really?? GM seriously?? How can you not see there's something wrong here? My dream car has just turned into a nightmare.
  • I too am having air condition problems with a (new for me) 2012 Buick Enclave. The Enclave was my dream car and I finally was able to purchase one the end of June of 2014. I do enjoy the car, but I have had air conditioning problems since I bought it. I took it to the dealership twice and they said they put a gauge on it and it was blowing cold air. Well, if you test it in the morning while it's cool, yes it will. But, when I drive it after it's been sitting out in the sun, it won't blow cold air at all. It blows air, but it's as hot as it can be and continues to blow hot after 20 to 30 minutes or more! My co-workers won't ride in my car to lunch anymore until I get it fixed. They have older cars than mine and say their cars get very cold within 5 to 10 minutes, that there is something wrong with mine. We get more cool air with the windows open on a 100 degree day than with the A/C on! I asked if it needed refrigerant and was told they checked it and it as fine. So, I told them about our experience taking the car to Vegas in July after I bought it and we suffered in 110 degree heat with no A/C! The guy told me well, in 110 degree heat it's not going to get as cold. Well I don't need the A/C when it's cool out, I need it when it's hot!

jacklin30 said:

I too am having air condition problems with a (new for me) 2012 Buick Enclave. The Enclave was my dream car and I finally was able to purchase one the end of June of 2014. I do enjoy the car, but I have had air conditioning problems since I bought it. I took it to the dealership twice and they said they put a gauge on it and it was blowing cold air. Well, if you test it in the morning while it's cool, yes it will. But, when I drive it after it's been sitting out in the sun, it won't blow cold air at all. It blows air, but it's as hot as it can be and continues to blow hot after 20 to 30 minutes or more! My co-workers won't ride in my car to lunch anymore until I get it fixed. They have older cars than mine and say their cars get very cold within 5 to 10 minutes, that there is something wrong with mine. We get more cool air with the windows open on a 100 degree day than with the A/C on! I asked if it needed refrigerant and was told they checked it and it as fine. So, I told them about our experience taking the car to Vegas in July after I bought it and we suffered in 110 degree heat with no A/C! The guy told me well, in 110 degree heat it's not going to get as cold. Well I don't need the A/C when it's cool out, I need it when it's hot!

We're sorry to learn of this issue with your air conditioning, jacklin30. We certainly understand how this must be frustrating. Please private message us your VIN, mileage and contact information if we can try to be of assistance.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • I have a 2013 Enclave with the same issues so it's very unsettling that the original thread started back in 2009. So it looks like nothing was fixed. I just bought this vehicle in 2014 with only 18,000 miles, from our local Mercedes dealership. I just thought that maybe someone just wanted a more of a luxury name brand car but I thought why would anyone turn in something so new so quick. I went to Mercedes to get a Mercedes but saw the Enclave and side by side I just couldn't stop looking at this car and quickly feel in love with the new body style, and all the beautiful luxury amenities. 

But now I can guess why this person traded it in. On two long distance trips 5 hours plus, the AC shuts off ans just blows can air. I thought well maybe  low freon, but when we stopped for lunch it's started working again but shortly after it did it again... no cold AC air. When I got back home doing short back and forth travels it works fine. Then it did it again on another trip; so this was no flook. After driving for about 2 hours the cold AC air stops and it's just regular fan air blowing . When we would stop to take a potty break it would work again and then again after driving for about 15 minutes just fan air. It was a miserable trip. Something is obviously shutting off on the AC on long distant travels. I'm taking it to Buick to get fixed, I'm under warranty so I'll send an update on how it goes. 

• I am also having AC problems on my 2013 enclave which I bought new (stupid me) have taken back to dealer three times, 1st low coolant (had to wait 18 days to be seen!!) telling them I have no cool air in back of car have to turn the front down to 60 for any cool air.. Most of the time only vent air is blowing even in the front!!!!! And there is a hissing sound coming from the front vents.. $40.000 for a friggin car with no AC and can't get my local dealer to do anything.. They also hooked it up and said it shows it is cooling????? COME ON GM, do something...
    sugerbee said:

I am also having AC problems on my 2013 enclave which I bought new (stupid me) have taken back to dealer three times, 1st low coolant (had to wait 18 days to be seen!!) telling them I have no cool air in back of car have to turn the front down to 60 for any cool air.. Most of the time only vent air is blowing even in the front!!!!! And there is a hissing sound coming from the front vents.. $40.000 for a friggin car with no AC and can't get my local dealer to do anything.. They also hooked it up and said it shows it is cooling????? COME ON GM, do something...

Hi sugerbee,

We apologize for the trouble you've experienced with your air conditioning. We definitely realize this is not something you expect to happen with a new vehicle purchase. Can you please send us your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership so we can offer our assistance? We're available via private message, or email at [email protected] [attn Amber].

Thank you
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• I have a 2011 Buick Enclave with 59k miles on it and the a/c condenser and a/c lines had to be replaced today....that is not an indication of quality. I had a Honda for 13 years and had less repairs on it than I have my Buick in the past 3.5 years. I am extremely confused as to why there are so many complaints about the a/c yet no class action law suit. I let the 0% interest rate be the determining factor when deciding between the Enclave and a Toyota....big mistake!! I will say that there is one person in particular in the service department at the dealership that goes over and beyond in customer service but customer service simply doesn't outweigh quality and I will NEVER purchase another Buick regardless of the price, interest rate or customer service.
  • Had this Buick Enclave since Aug 2010. Thought it is claimed an entry level luxury SUV so the quality shall be better than others. Found AC evaporator leaking on Oct 2014! It is not acceptable to have the AC lines leaking in a 3.5-year luxury vehicle! And it is a major inconvenience in the hot SC summer. The problem was found and noticed by an "AIR TANK" leakage sound every stop (It is not noticeable when driving). Only 40K miles on it and it became a major junk! To fix this issue, costly ~$2400, but I just expired the factory warranty on Aug 2014, Noticed the air-tank leakage sound before Aug 2014, thought it was a small problem so not paid a lot attention on it until there was warm air blew out underneath dash board sometime. My heart goes out to all the families that are angry, frustrated and generally disappointed with such unacceptable flaws in a premium priced vehicle! $45,000? Not worth it! Had number of cars, like Toyota Camry (me) & Avaron (Daught), Mazda MPV (Wife), even a KIA. Not had such big issue within 3 years!!! All minor issue. I love the Buick car design and the overall quietness of the vehicle, and support our nations' vehicle! But so so so disappointed. Hopefully GM will notice this quality issue and having a recall to fix it!!!
    hdc1435 said:

Had this Buick Enclave since Aug 2010. Thought it is claimed an entry level luxury SUV so the quality shall be better than others. Found AC evaporator leaking on Oct 2014! It is not acceptable to have the AC lines leaking in a 3.5-year luxury vehicle! And it is a major inconvenience in the hot SC summer. The problem was found and noticed by an "AIR TANK" leakage sound every stop (It is not noticeable when driving). Only 40K miles on it and it became a major junk! To fix this issue, costly ~$2400, but I just expired the factory warranty on Aug 2014, Noticed the air-tank leakage sound before Aug 2014, thought it was a small problem so not paid a lot attention on it until there was warm air blew out underneath dash board sometime. My heart goes out to all the families that are angry, frustrated and generally disappointed with such unacceptable flaws in a premium priced vehicle! $45,000? Not worth it! Had number of cars, like Toyota Camry (me) & Avaron (Daught), Mazda MPV (Wife), even a KIA. Not had such big issue within 3 years!!! All minor issue. I love the Buick car design and the overall quietness of the vehicle, and support our nations' vehicle! But so so so disappointed. Hopefully GM will notice this quality issue and having a recall to fix it!!!

Hey hdc1435,

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns with your Enclave. I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please email me at [email protected] along with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and the dealership you were working with.

Anisha T (assisting Patsy)
    GM Customer Care

• harts70harts70 TXPosts: 1
    I wish I checked this site before buying my wife her 2010 Enclave. Less than a month after buying it the a/c gets a funny smell and then quits. I've tried everything I've seen on all the sites for a "fix" and after reading all the posts on here it doesn't look like there is a fix for it. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet because there is no way I have the kind of money everyone has been talking about to fix the problem. Come on GM, after seeing that it's a "you" problem not a "me" problem, maybe YOU need to fix it! I know I will hear the same answers to the questions when I take it to the dealership and I'm sure I'll be out. This is a quality issue and it's YOUR issue so put out a recall and get it fixed. Remember when you needed a hand we all were happy to give it to you, now it's your turn.
    harts70 said:

I wish I checked this site before buying my wife her 2010 Enclave. Less than a month after buying it the a/c gets a funny smell and then quits. I've tried everything I've seen on all the sites for a "fix" and after reading all the posts on here it doesn't look like there is a fix for it. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet because there is no way I have the kind of money everyone has been talking about to fix the problem. Come on GM, after seeing that it's a "you" problem not a "me" problem, maybe YOU need to fix it! I know I will hear the same answers to the questions when I take it to the dealership and I'm sure I'll be out. This is a quality issue and it's YOUR issue so put out a recall and get it fixed. Remember when you needed a hand we all were happy to give it to you, now it's your turn.

Hi Harts70,

We definitely apologize for these concerns, and we would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Please send us an e-mail [email protected] and include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. We do look forward to hearing from you soon!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care

• I just bought a used 09 Traverse and am having the same A/C issues That are listed on this forum. I noticed GM customer care has been monitoring this thread of complaints for years now, with no solution for the Buick line or any of the sister line vehicles such as the Traverse. They aren't even monitoring the Traverse thread on this site. It is an obvious Manufacture Defect And should be brought to the attention to the powers that be. (Not GM) Your State Attorney Generals Office, and Better Business Bureau. Complaints can be made online In Most states I believe. If Enough of us complain to these authorities maybe GM will be forced to do the right thing by customers that are being trapped into a money draining product without prior discloser. I will be taking my vehicle in to be checked. Making copies of the findings and forwarding the Info and complaints to the BBB and Texas Attorney Generals office. These are expensive vehicles and should not have this kind problem across all the GM Brands.This A/C Manufacture Defect was identified as far back as 2008 throughout all the sister models that use the same original GM parts. I Urge Everyone Who Has This A/C Problem To Contact BBB and their State AT. The Word Needs To Get Out To The Public So They Will Be Informed Before They Enter Into A Financial Commitment That May Last Longer Than The Vehicle Life
  • burnscburnsc Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problems with the passenger side ac blowing nothing but hot air. I am wondering if anyone has found out the real problem.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 4,724
    burnsc said:

I am experiencing the same problems with the passenger side ac blowing nothing but hot air. I am wondering if anyone has found out the real problem.

There are a number of potential causes. There isn't a single "real problem" and each event needs to be analyzed to prove what is happening to that particular car.

• talk about disgusted. We have had to take our 2008 Buick in 5 times now for the EXACT same A/C issue. They could not find the problem each time but had to recharge the Freon each time. WOW don't you think there might be a leak?

So my warranty ran out this past December. Low and behold I have the issue as soon as the temperature rose and we started using the A/C again. But guess what this time they found the problem. A leaking Evaporator core. NOW you find the problem?!?!?! Thats $1800 I dont have. I will never buy a Buick or GMC again. and will discourage anyone i know from buying one either. Absolute garbage. Also I'm contacting a lawyer to get this thing lemon lawed. Luckily California law is on my side, this time.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 4,724
    In fact it really is on your side. California has some very strict laws about refrigerant leaks in AC systems and especially about documentation for any repairs including temperature testing, and what kind of leak testing was performed. You might want to talk to BAR.
  • jgilmerjgilmer Posts: 1
    Wow, it's amazing at how many people are having the same A/C problem with their Buick Enclaves. I have a 2012 Enclave and the air stopped blowing cold in the front and rear over the weekend. I took it into my dealer this morning and they are saying I need a new Evaporator coil, since it was leaking. It appears from the posts on this website that the Enclave has two evaporator coils, one for the front and one for the rear. They showed me the rear evaporator coil and how it had leaked. They also showed where there was green on the line in the front. Unfortunately, my warranty ran out 10,000 miles ago. I don't understand why there hasn't been a recall, since this has to be a design flaw. I really loved this car, but I can't afford to stay with car manufacturer who won't address these type of issue.
  • lsfthlsfth Posts: 2
    2009 Buick Enclave...I have also experienced ongoing AC problems very similar to what has been described in this forum. WHY HASN'T GM DONE A RECALL ON THIS PROBLEM???
    The AC on my Buick Enclave has never worked well in high temp/high humidity days since I bought the car brand new. I usually keep the Auto Temp set at 78 in the Summer and 74 in the winter. My problems also started out with the front AC not putting out cold air, but the back working fine. Eventually the back stopped working as well. They replaced a valve last Summer but the problem returned in the Fall (the air was never as cold as it was before it stopped working properly). I didn't take it back in because I didn't need AC in the winter. But in the winter, the heat quit working on the front passenger side. I thought I finally had time and money to take it in to be repaired recently. I was wrong...

Now Sewell Buick Service Dept is telling me it needs an evaporator coil leak repaired for $1700 and they discovered a new problem...a timing cap needs to be replaced for $2000. My car has not had any oil leaking in my garage at all and no extra oil changes have been necessary...so the timing cap came as a complete shock. The Service Advisor said that was because it was slinging the oil when I was driving and it was falling into a cap so I would not have noticed it. I called my brother who owns his own mechanic shop in another state...he said the explanation on the timing cap does not make any sense. :(

NOT HAPPY!! After reading this forum I don't think I will purchase another GM car. My husband is still driving our 2001 Ford Expedition and it does not have anywhere near the problems my 2009 Enclave has had.
    lsfth said:

2009 Buick Enclave...I have also experienced ongoing AC problems very similar to what has been described in this forum. WHY HASN'T GM DONE A RECALL ON THIS PROBLEM???
    The AC on my Buick Enclave has never worked well in high temp/high humidity days since I bought the car brand new. I usually keep the Auto Temp set at 78 in the Summer and 74 in the winter. My problems also started out with the front AC not putting out cold air, but the back working fine. Eventually the back stopped working as well. They replaced a valve last Summer but the problem returned in the Fall (the air was never as cold as it was before it stopped working properly). I didn't take it back in because I didn't need AC in the winter. But in the winter, the heat quit working on the front passenger side. I thought I finally had time and money to take it in to be repaired recently. I was wrong...

Now Sewell Buick Service Dept is telling me it needs an evaporator coil leak repaired for $1700 and they discovered a new problem...a timing cap needs to be replaced for $2000. My car has not had any oil leaking in my garage at all and no extra oil changes have been necessary...so the timing cap came as a complete shock. The Service Advisor said that was because it was slinging the oil when I was driving and it was falling into a cap so I would not have noticed it. I called my brother who owns his own mechanic shop in another state...he said the explanation on the timing cap does not make any sense. :(

NOT HAPPY!! After reading this forum I don't think I will purchase another GM car. My husband is still driving our 2001 Ford Expedition and it does not have anywhere near the problems my 2009 Enclave has had.

We're sorry to hear of the concern and experience you've had regarding your Enclave, lsfth. Customer sentiment, such as yours, is very important to GM. We rely on our loyal customers and do not want to see you go. Would you like to have this looked at through another dealership in your area? We would be more than happy to assist you with this. Feel free to let us know how you wish to proceed. I look forward to your response and working with you.

With Regard,

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care

• kel03kel03 Posts: 3
    Well, it certainly sounds like Buick does have some issues with A/C in the Enclaves, and I was hoping not to be with the rest, but now suspect I am in the same boat with my 2011. I have a 2004 Camry, the A/C is working as the day I got it, so with saying that, what's up here. I purchased this certified unit from a GM dealer in December 2014. I had suspect prior to purchasing, but the salesman said he'd check it out prior to the purchase, being under the 3 month warranty, I felt comfortable. Prior to a trip to Florida 2.5 months away from the purchase, I still suspected issue, but they assured me it was ok, I just didn't understand how to use the system, and in cooler weather, it would not activate AC system. Now, it's May, I was having some noise develop in the dash like a hissing/vacuum noise, and now no cooler air. I will be making a visit to the Dealer, and salesman that sold me this vehicle.