Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, XL Electrical Problems

123457»

Comments

• The battery on our 2002 GMC Yukon Denali is being drained by something electrical causing me to jump the battery after sitting overnight. I also had a service ride control indicator (took the car to a mechanic - who changed it out) . Fixed that indicator bur the car still drains the battery overnight. Does anyone know of anyway that I could use a meter to identify the short. The only thing that I can think of to find the problem is to remove a fuse for each system until I identify the problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 55,860
    That is the basic method but first you need to get a volt/ohm meter to hook up to the battery so that you know a) the amount of drain in amps or milliamps and b) when you've pulled the correct fuse.

A draw of any more than say 50 milliamps is unacceptable.

To be really thorough about it, you should, prior to testing, have your battery load-tested and your charging system checked. Any battery over 5 years old is suspect and if your volt/ohm meter doesn't show much of a current draw, you know the problem is not a drain but perhaps a weak battery, weak alternator, or your driving habits (that is, short trips in cold weather, things like that).

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• gmax34ggmax34g Posts: 1
    HELP 2013 Yukon XL. Got a Tire Pressure Monitor light then remote start, heated seat, and key fob all quit working. It's not under warranty. Had a mechanic check and no power is going to any of these features. Anyone have similar issues and how was it fixed?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 55,860
    So your mechanic didn't proceed with the diagnosis after that?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• We purchased a 2011 GMC Yukon. Everything was fine for a couple weeks and Christine started acting up. I was in the church parking lot when the locks start going up and down, the lights on the dashboard start coming on and the car starts accelerating on its own and cutting out. The radio shut off and the heater reset. The gauges went up and down. It was scary! We spent $88 diagnostic fee to be told that the Yukon is in great shape! Nothing is wrong with it. I truly think he didn't believe me. We went to another mechanic and specifically asked to have the negative battery cable replaced because when the car goes completely dead (oh yeah, that happens too!) if you move the negative cable, it will start back up. This mechanic told us the battery was good, the cables were good and the alternator was good. He cleaned the cable and tightened things up and we were good for about 3 weeks. Christine is back and yes, I am back to popping the hood and wiggling the negative battery cable-so frustrating! I'm so sick of people saying nothing is wrong with my possessed vehicle. 
123457»