Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I don't think you can replace just the circuit board? I would replace the entire instrument cluster...maybe pick one up in junk yard? Swap it out
  • matt20matt20 Posts: 2
    Thanks guys. CB wins the prize. After I posted this I went out and couldn't crank the van at all. Replaced battery, problem solved.

It was a Sears Diehard gold that died after only 14 months. Luckily it was still under warranty.
  • bg7163bg7163 Posts: 3
    This has nothing to do with a Grand Caravan or a Dodge Dakota but I've been reading your posts about both vehicles' speedometer issues and you seem to know a lot so I would like your opinion regarding my problem. With my 98 Honda Civic LX Sedan, the engine light came on around 50,870 miles and the primary o2 sensor was replaced. It ran fairly well until this past winter when the gas mileage got down to as low as 20 mpg. The exhaust manifold was found to be cracked and leaking. The dealer replaced the manifold/cat converter, both gaskets, and nuts per emissions warranty, at 78,843 miles, 3/23/05. Then, yesterday, the engine light came on again. Checked gas cap, etc., per owner's manual instructions, no problem found. Continued driving. Discovered the speedometer, odometer, trip meter and the cruise control was no longer working and the automatic transmission started jerking around at lower speeds, when slowing for a stop sign or accelerating. What's going on??? Can I continue driving this car until it can be fixed? ??? Can I even drive it to the dealer 45 miles away???? Any guidance would be appreciated.
  • lhjlhj Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Are the bolts that hold the seat to the frame the same for the LX, eX, LXi, and Limited the same?
    The higher priced T&C seem to have a more comfortable seat (the ones with the separately adjustable head rest). ;)
    My T&C LX has a wiring harness under the driver's seat. Is that the same wiring harness that the power seat of higher priced T&C minivans use? :blush:
  • mfaymfay Posts: 2
    Since my first post I have learned the following about this failure:
    I started the van two days latter and the instrument cluster operator correctly. The "service engine soon" light remained on. I went to the local AutoZone and they hooked up their hand held OBD2 terminal and obtained failure code P1698 - Manufacturer controls - Auxiliary Inputs and Auxiliary Outputs. A second employee doubled checked the codes with the same unit and no codes were displayed. The AutoZone computer data base did not list P1698.
    I did pull the battery leads and clean the contacts. The alarm is gone and I have not seen any symptoms since. :confuse:
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    It really seems strange what a weak battery can do to the instrument lights on these vans. One would never believe it possible. I guess with all the electrical stuff on these vans, it does happen though.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I doubt DCX would use different bolts for different seats...they should all be the same. I would also guess the wiring harness is the same too. You should be able to install power seat without problems.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Thanks. I like everything about the van but the uncomfortable front and middle seats. ;)
    Sadly, I cannot just put the left half of the rear 50/50 split seat into the driver's seat location as the rear seat is VERY comfortable.
  • bbmombbmom Posts: 4
    The battery was replaced today but it somehow stopped the radio/CD player from working. The bass/mid/treb lights flash continuously. The mechanic (not a dealership) thinks it is due to the anti theft system but can't remember how to get the radio working again. No info in the manual. Mechanic checked all fuses and they are fine. Anyone have this problem ? What do the flashing lights mean ? How do I fix this ? Thanks !
  • bbmombbmom Posts: 4
    concerning post #2932 above... forgot to mention that this radio does not need a security code to reset... I confirmed this info with the dealer.
  • We had a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan, which is essentially the same vehicle, and something similar went wrong with it. The brake lights stopped working just as you described. The turn signals didn't work either, even though the indicator and blinking sound in the dash worked fine. The dealership worked on it twice and finally replace a computer module that controls those lights and it worked fine again. Hope this helps sorry I don't know exactly which computer module. We have since traded up for a 2005 D.G.C.
  • My transmission went out suddenly ( a 3 speed with overdrive ) and it was suggested that the problem was something along the lines of a " forward planetary or cluster gear" that may have broke. The engine is 3.3litre/ 6 cylinder, but I dont even know what the transmission is and that makes it difficult to locate a replacement for it. Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Ck
  • My mom has a 2005 Caravan and the rack and pinion steering went out on it. I think that can be considered a major problem. :lemon:
  • raymond5raymond5 Posts: 1
    I own a '96 DC 3.8L. It has 160K+ and is working fairly well for its age.

The problem I am having is with the rear window water sprayer. It does not spray water anymore. I tried cleaning out the tiny water outlet with a water hose, but it did not solve the problem.

Does anyone know how to fix (troubleshoot) these types of problems?

V/R
    Ray
    My mom has a 2005 Caravan and the rack and pinion steering went out on it. I think that can be considered a major problem.

That sure is first time poster. Thank goodness your under warrantee.
  • paumonokpaumonok Posts: 1
    It's not surprising at all. I have a 1990 Volvo 240 that had an alternator failure. The first symptom was that the SRS idiot light came on. After that, the fuel gauge indicator and temperature gauges both took a dive, then the speedometer starting doing a dance. This was all because of low voltage (<10.75V), which is insufficient to drive the gauges and their logic boards.
  • dougt2dougt2 Posts: 3
    I too went to autozone and had the same code in the computer, 1698. So, i cleared the computer and then we took a 500 mile trip this weekend, same result. The instrument cluster is still intermittent.

So now I'm looking for a insturment cluster form a junk yard. if that doesn't work, then I'll try replacing the Body Control Module, then ?? hate to be just a part changer but unsure how to diagnose whjich it is with out access to another one.
  • blaabsblaabs Posts: 1
    ccundiff,
    I am wondering if you can help me out. I am having the same start and stop problem only it happens at infrequent intervals of between once every 2-4 months. The dealer cannot figure this out and told him about this article. He is looking into it, but would like more information on what was actually replaced. I also have a 1998 t&c lxi with 133,000 and this is the only problem i have had. It is a pesky one however. Help please!
  • connmemomconnmemom Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chrysler Voyager with an anti-theft system in it. My husband turned the steering wheel today and it felt like it was locked. When it finally turned my Husband said it felt different. He pulled over and turned the car off. Now, my van won't start at all. All the gadgets and gizmos come on and the Odomoter readout says "DONE." Does anyone have any ideas? We have tried disconnecting the battery cable, checking the fuses, putting the van in nuetral to start, and jumping it and nothing seems to work! :cry: :cry:
    I would think you would still have a warrantee on that transmission if it was done by the dealer.

For those of you that have your van cutting in and out or the engine quitting and restarting later. I had a 1993 Eagle Vision that did that. At first the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. When it got worse, it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor. I believe that was the name of it. It wasn't that expensive to replace.
  • klr3klr3 Posts: 1
    My '98 Caravan has had the digital lights (milage & PRND) flashing on and off, when this starts the battery light and the ABS light also come on. Now today it will not start at all, engine does not even turn over. There is a fast clicking noise coming from the fuse box area under the dash. The clicking stops when I put the key in and starts again when I take the key out.
    Also, the check engine light has been coming on and off, took to Auto Zone twice and both time the computer said everything was OK. My horn will not work and the air bag light stays on all of the time.
    I don't know if all of this is connected or many different problems. I have had my fuses checked many time and they are all fine, also alternater checked out fine.
    Can any one help???!!!??? :cry: :cry:
    Clean your battery post and cables. If that doesn't fix it, have your battery checked out.
  • Blower speed control failure & Battery failure.
    Just recently I have had my blower control switch stop working except for the highest setting. Can that be fixed without going to a garage?

Last fall I was traveling in Northern Wisconsin. Just about dark I drove out of a wooded area and fifteen miles to a town of 150 people to get gas (Saturday evening). I filled up my tank and when I tried to start the car, it didn't! The lights on my dashboard started flashing and the headlights seemed to work for a bit. To make a long story short, I had to buy a new battery. Most of my driving is on the highway and I do not have ALL the power dodads that some vans have. This seems to be a problem with 2001 Chrysler T&C's. Is there any recalls out on this???
    The lights on my dashboard started flashing and the headlights seemed to work for a bit. To make a long story short, I had to buy a new battery. Most of my driving is on the highway and I do not have ALL the power dodads that some vans have. This seems to be a problem with 2001 Chrysler T&C's. Is there any recalls out on this???

Batteries go bad no matter how little dodads you have on them. I have read many posts of the Dodge/Chrysler vans doing the same thing. It might be programed to work that way in order to warn owners that their batteries are about to give out or that they are corroded enough that the van is not getting enough power. I would think this is a good thing. I have had batteries go dead on cars with no warning at all. Like on the 2001 Dodge truck I use to own.
  • alexw1alexw1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand caravan & my engine light went on at 55,000 miles. I was told that my air vacuum hoses needed to be replaced. How can I locate these hoses & is it a difficult process to fix.?

Thanks !
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    On that vintage Caravan, the cam sensors fail on high mileage engines. The fact that it's intermittent is a tell-tale sign. If the cam sensor solves your problem, the oxygen sensor code will probably go away after you've reset the PCM.

Dusty
  • phantom3phantom3 Posts: 2
    I got a call from my wife yesterday saying this had just happened to our '97 Gr Caravan. Actually, it had been happening occasionally up until this time. It always fixed itself after shutting down and restarting. But this time it was perminantly off.

After reading everything I could find on the Web, I went home and attacked the problem. I started with the battery, which did not fix anything. Then, following something '5bucks' put in a forum, I decided to try the plug on the back of the instrument panel.

As soon as I touched the panel to pull it out, everything came alive! There was one connector that I reseated and a ribbon cable at the bottom. Both were easy to reach from the back of the panel.

I recommend only taking the top half of the dash board off to access the panel. If you remove the air vent, that supplies the drivers side door, from the dash then you only have a few screws holding the dash in place. There is a plastic panel over the top of the stearing wheel that has to come off. After that it's mostly metal pressure clips holding the dash on. Just start wiggling the plastic and they will slide out. I was done in about an hour.

Hope this helps!
    Glenn
  • phantom3phantom3 Posts: 2
    I just wanted to thank you for sharing this fix here! Yesterday, after numerous temporary failures of the instrument panel in our '97 Gr Caravan, my called to say the panel was dead and would not recover.

After reading these forums, I went home and pulled the dash to check the plug on the instrument panel. As soon as I touched the panel it came to life!. I pulled the plug off and reseated it, along with the ribbon cable at the bottom of the panel. Everything is working again!

THANKS!
    Glenn