Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,450
    It's hard to bargain away high miles.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,596
    ...dealers are hitting me at $6-8k for the 2015 GLA with the light year mileage...assuming they're going to send it straight to the auction...anything I can do to squeeze more juice out of this lemon?
    Wow. You sure it has a clean history? That is way way low. I have 3 examples with 99k miles that each got $14k on different dates at different auctions. Meanwhile, 60k-mile units are only $2k more. Well...do the math, right? I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised by $10k offers, but 6-8? Something is wrong with the car you don’t realize or aren’t telling me.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• tottenham_coystottenham_coys Posts: 5
    edited February 11
    ...the Millennium Falcon mileage 2015 GLA is clean inside and out - the reason we are dumping it is that the turbo was recently replaced, and our mechanic advised us that it is a ticking time bomb...no way for the dealers to know this and what they don't know can't hurt me - can it? ;)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,033
    That’s why dealers don’t want it. They have to dump it at auction, which is a crapshoot. And if something goes wrong with it before it Dan sell, they are stuck.

So, if it is something they would never buy at auction, or sell on their lot, they are knocking trade offer down to build in a cushion for unexpected gotchas, and some profit.

Try carmax or some local places that advertise they buy cars. New dealers often seriously lowball trades.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 116,380
    stickguy said:

That’s why dealers don’t want it. They have to dump it at auction, which is a crapshoot. And if something goes wrong with it before it Dan sell, they are stuck.

So, if it is something they would never buy at auction, or sell on their lot, they are knocking trade offer down to build in a cushion for unexpected gotchas, and some profit.

Try carmax or some local places that advertise they buy cars. New dealers often seriously lowball trades.

138K miles.. I'm surprised you even received $8K for an offer.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Once the odometer rolls over 100K on a German car, you are in entirely different territory. It may all be psychological, but perception is reality in the used car market. If that same SUV had "Toyota" written on it, it'd be gone in a flash.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,587
    Craigslist, ebaymotors, or one of the Mercedes specific forums would probably be good places to list it. 
  • spacetigerfxspacetigerfx SoCalPosts: 8
    edited February 12
    Qbrozen, do you have any recent auction data for a 2010 BMW 328i sedan RWD, gray/gray, automatic, looks pretty loaded with sport/premium/cold pkg, 44k miles, 2-owner clean carfax, San Francisco area?

Looks clean inside, outside small parking lot scrape on the front bumper. Otherwise looks great. No records though. He is asking 11k private sale. What do you think?

thanks in advance
    low miles, but that price is insane. That is double trade-in value and $5k over auction value. Even a dealer would be brazen at that price. I'm afraid that owner has little interest in selling and you won't be able to get it for a reasonable or fair price. $7500 is what I'd be looking to pay. $8500 would be the absolute max I would suggest if you just can't live without it.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

edited February 13
    qbrozen said:

low miles, but that price is insane. That is double trade-in value and $5k over auction value. Even a dealer would be brazen at that price. I'm afraid that owner has little interest in selling and you won't be able to get it for a reasonable or fair price. $7500 is what I'd be looking to pay. $8500 would be the absolute max I would suggest if you just can't live without it.

Wow thanks, Q. Didn't imagine how far away 11k was from reasonable. Thank you for setting me straight, I really did like the car since it is loaded with M-sport and even rear door shades which are rare, but not 3k worth.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,587
    edited February 13
    I agree, but there aren't many 2010 3-series with such low mileage. It might be closer to being worth paying more than book if it were a higher end model.
    Low miles aren't by definition always a good thing, so if you're pursuing a car because of ultra-low miles, that shouldn't blind you to a complete PPI, regardless.

Low miles aren't by definition always a good thing, so if you're pursuing a car because of ultra-low miles, that shouldn't blind you to a complete PPI, regardless.

You are right on the PPI regardless. What called my attention was that its a super loaded example, with the rare M-Sport package even. Most 3 series are very basic on options, so I need to keep looking I guess.

You are right on the PPI regardless. What called my attention was that its a super loaded example, with the rare M-Sport package even. Most 3 series are very basic on options, so I need to keep looking I guess.
    If it only had a stick-shift....

I don't think it's as overpriced as the rest of the crew, here. Yes, it's high, but that doesn't mean you can't make a reasonable deal on it. Does it have xenons?

Edmunds Moderator

My attitude is that if it's really the car of your dreams, with all that special equipment you've found so hard to find, then paying a reasonable premium over book is fine---presuming you're in for the long haul. I wouldn't pay over book on a car that you might get bored with in 6 months.

Just for kicks..

Autotrader
    BMW 3-Series (newest year 2014)
    Within 100 miles of Cincinnati
    Under 60K miles
    Under $20K asking

Search results in:
    33 units.
    Exactly two of them are under $10K. ('06 330, '08 wagon).
    Next cheapest unit is $12,900.

Obviously, it's the mileage that really whittles down the field.

Edmunds Moderator

If I cut the mileage at 75K, and just search 2009-2011, I get 27 cars.
    And, four of them under $11K

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I don't think it's as overpriced as the rest of the crew, here. Yes, it's high, but that doesn't mean you can't make a reasonable deal on it. Does it have xenons?
    Yes on Xenons. vindecoder lists Premium, Cold weather, M-Sport, lighting packages. If it were manual, I would definitely pay a premium.

kyfdx said:

Yes on Xenons. vindecoder lists Premium, Cold weather, M-Sport, lighting packages. If it were manual, I would definitely pay a premium.
    Sounds pretty nice. I'm not in love with that engine. My wife had that one in her 2011 X3.

Edmunds Moderator

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,756
    edited February 15
    Need a quick price review.

2004 B6 S4 with the V8 and auto transmission. Red, clean, 99,100 miles.

Cons: No timing chain service yet, and said to need new front control arms (other then that, said to be tip top and looks clean in photos.

Asking $4K. What's it worth? San Diego CA
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '17 VW Golf Alltrack SE 4-Motion 1.8T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,458
    WTH is a "B6 S4"???
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 4,964
    Audi's code for that generation of S4.
    2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
    Oh, gee, that S4 is a grenade with a loose pin. Unless you find a starry-eyed buyer who is willing to risk the timing chain failure, you should just take the first offer, whatever it is.

Basically, a timing chain tensioner repair will total the car, as you know, since you have to remove the engine to do it. And they do fail quite regularly, so you're wise to bail out now.

If you wanted to do the cruel math to come up with a value (book value minus chain repair), then $4K seems optimistic.

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,756

Oh, gee, that S4 is a grenade with a loose pin. Unless you find a starry-eyed buyer who is willing to risk the timing chain failure, you should just take the first offer, whatever it is.

Basically, a timing chain tensioner repair will total the car, as you know, since you have to remove the engine to do it. And they do fail quite regularly, so you're wise to bail out now.

If you wanted to do the cruel math to come up with a value (book value minus chain repair), then $4K seems optimistic.

I wanting to do the cruel math as a buyer! LOL.. I don't mind a grenade if I can do the repair and put the pin back in the grenade before it explodes! But, I want to temper my offer accordingly.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '17 VW Golf Alltrack SE 4-Motion 1.8T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
    edited February 15
    Quite frankly, and in all seriousness, they should give you the car for salvage value.

Meet your opponent:

I think the repair cost at the dealer is in the range of $6,000 to $8,000.

andres3 said:

Need a quick price review.

2004 B6 S4 with the V8 and auto transmission. Red, clean, 99,100 miles.

Cons: No timing chain service yet, and said to need new front control arms (other then that, said to be tip top and looks clean in photos.

Asking $4K. What's it worth? San Diego CA

And you complain Chryslers are unreliable? hahahahah.
    Anyhoo... worth high 3s at auction, so $4k wouldn't be hurting nobody... for now.

Here's the easy way to do it:

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,033
    While you’re in there....

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 4,964
    Holy ****
    2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,080

Quite frankly, and in all seriousness, they should give you the car for salvage value.

Meet your opponent:

I think the repair cost at the dealer is in the range of $6,000 to $8,000.

Unreal

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD