Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Any Questions for a Car Dealer?

Comments

• bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    I was raised to believe that a man's word means something.

If I offer an OTD price for a car and the dealer accepts my offer, then I figure we have made a deal. After I give them my check and they give me the car, I figure things are done.

For the dealer to come back later and whine that they need an extra $1100 is pretty poor.
  • buck0086buck0086 Posts: 52
    I've seen a lot of prices listed on this discussion board with TTL and I know those are set by the state, but I'd like to find out specifically what document fees would be considered average or acceptable. I'd also like to know what exactly a document fee is. I have a pretty good idea of what price price I am looking for regarding the vehicle + destination charge, but I'm still struggling with the document fee. Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    I was thinking that a lease might be best for this situation - it would sure cost less than $30K, and the cost of owning the vehicle would be pre-determined... unlike with a purchase. If you purchase a $30K car today, there's no exact way to determine what it will be worth when you sell it later. If you lease a $30K vehicle, there are no surprises.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    I was brought up the same way and I agree with you.

I went back and re-read the post and I'm in full agreement that (stupid) dealer should be responsible for the 1100.00 mistake they made.

BTW, I have met many a customer whose word and handshake proved to be worthless.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    BTW, I have met many a customer whose word and handshake proved to be worthless.

Of course, and that's shoddy as well. But you can't control the behavior of another person. You can only control your own and hope that others learn by example.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

One thing I learned long ago and this has been proven to me over and over again.

The people I deal with who are the most distrustful and leary of everything are usually the ones that can't be trusted themselves.

Easy to get cynical, especially in this business.
  • rworrellrworrell Posts: 151
    ErlingMM--you might also want to consider looking at one of the websites that allows you to swap a lease. Look for one in CA that's ending around the time of your scheduled departure. Then, you could assume the lease on or before your arrival and walk away at the end.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,942
    Good advice... probably the cheapest way to drive a luxury car for only one year..

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

He's only going to be here for a year. I would forget a hard to sell, fast depreciating SUV or luxury car. I think I would look for a less expensive car that holds it value well. Maybe an Accord or a Camry...something like that.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 2,006
    Isellhondas, can a person lease a new car for just a year? If so, have you ever sold one like that?

In a hypothetical situation, generally, what would an Accord EX 4 cylinder cost to lease for a year? These list for about $24K right?

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    " what document fees would be considered average or acceptable. "

IMO, no doc. fees are acceptable, and I make sure the dealer is aware of that when I offer a price, it includes any and all dealer and/or manufacturer fees. The only thing added is state ttl.

KISS (Keep it simple stupid), not directed at you, just a euphemism.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,293
    I never cease to be amazed at what buyers will put up with in the way of addons to a negotiated price. A fee is dealer profit unless it's the $20 fee for title in our state which is essentially the price charged by the title agency for a title.

E.G.: "Yes Mrs. Buyer. We'll put your new carpet in that room for $1505. There will of course be a sales tax, $500 document fee, and $125 insurance fee added to that price we just negotiated. What day would you like us to install the carpet."

How many people would put up with that!

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

I've never heard of a one year lease.
  • jwilliams2jwilliams2 Posts: 910
    Or how 'bout this...."Yes Mr. Carpet Man, I know your invoice on that "High Loom Triple Verigated" is only $8.43 per yard. My offer is $8.45 per yard, less your year end volume discount, and I want it installed tomorrow with none of those upcharges for labor, etc. And it better have a lifetime guarantee against defects and spills!" LOL.....
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    LOL?

I don't see what is funny about the offer. It is a very clear and specific. All the seller has to do is say No.
  • kscctsksccts Posts: 140
    No, bobst, you wouldn't see anything wrong. :)
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    I've never heard of a one year lease.

I have, but I'm fairly sure the poster would not like the payments on a one year lease, there is a lot of depreciation to be paid for over 12 months.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,942
    That is why assuming a lease that has one year left to run would be a good deal.. Your costs are fixed for the term...

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• purplebugpurplebug Posts: 24
    I know exactly what kind of car I need to order, (it was highly unlikely to get my Purple baby souped like I wanted) and was waiting for the new rebates, incentives, etc. to come out. Now I am hearing that it doesn't matter when you order the car what incentives are in play; it only matters what incentives are in play at time of delivery? I have no idea when the car would be delivered, nor what incentives would be active at that time. Is there a way to lock in incentives and rebates at time of order? Or any other way not to get stuck on changes in incentives between time of order and delivery? Thanks in advance :confuse:
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,367
    when I looked into ordering, it was always you get what is in effect at the time of delivery. I suppose you could negotiate with the dealer to guarantee at least what is in place today, but i can't see what reason they would open themselves up to the potential exposure.

I assume you are ordering now, so it will still be an '05? if so, just based on history, the incentives aren't likely to go down as the model year wraps up! No guarantees of course.

if you like the car and need it, just order the thing. You could always make the deal contingent. That is, if the incentives aren't at least at today's level, you can get your deposit back. I bet a dealer would do that at least, unless you want a really bizarre combo of options.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    if you like the car and need it, just order the thing. You could always make the deal contingent. That is, if the incentives aren't at least at today's level, you can get your deposit back. I bet a dealer would do that at least, unless you want a really bizarre combo of options.

(S)he wants Purple. Me thinks you order it, you own it!!
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    You are correct in that you get whatever incentive is there when you take delivery, not when you order. Reveerse the roles and imagine if incentives increase, would you ask the dealer to give you the lower amount that was in place when you ordered? All the dealer can honor is the price that you negotiate before incentives. The good news is that incentives don't usually decrease this late in the model year, but anything can happen.
  • purplebugpurplebug Posts: 24
    That's why I was asking is there anything I can sign. Due to the field I work in (credit financing) I know how things can change over a period of time. If they require me to sign something, then there it is and I am stuck with it. But hopefully, you are all correct that incentives will not increase as the year goes on
    I always say that people should buy and drive what they like.

If resale value is important to you, however, you just might want to pick a different color other than that purple.

If not, enjoy!! :)
  • cadillacmikecadillacmike Posts: 543
    And a different vehicle than a ps crusier! ;)

I'm telling you, resale on that vehicle will drop faster than an anvil dropped on Jupiter.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    You guys just don't understand the culture of customizing PT Cruisers.

Me neither, but my wife's cousin and all his brothers own customized Cruisers, so it's a phenomenon all to itself. Depreciation be damned! ;)
    Almost as fast as a Cadillac! ;)
  • lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,699
    When I bought my car last week, the car salesman said I was getting such a low price that he would only make a mini. It was a fair deal, but it wasn't like I was buying it at invoice or below.

How much profit does there have to be before a salesman makes more than a mini?
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    what was the purpose for the salesman telling you anything about his commission? to make you feel guilty for getting a good deal?
    he shouldn't mention it and you shouldn't care.
    i don't think a real pro would have said anything like that to you.
    i doubt he would say anything if you made his month by him making a huge commission off the sale.
    I agree. A most unprofessional salesperson.
This discussion has been closed.