Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Any Questions for a Car Dealer?

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    Off-topic, folks.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• mpassmpass Posts: 17
    I am in the market for a CPO Acura. The current rate from Acura is 3.9/60 mo. which is the best rate out there. I would like to fill out a dealer's online pre-approval form so that I (a) know if I have the good financing and (b) don't spend hours upon hours in the dealership when I go to buy. Is this a good idea? Are there risks to "showing my cards" before I walk in the door since they will know the amount I am qualified for and, perhaps, willing to pay?

Thanks!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,887
    Interesting perspective on why not to do it. Kinda like dressing in old clothes so they don't think you are rich!

Actually, I'm not even sure the salespeople would know that you had applied unless you tell them. In any case, I don't think they will try to charge you more (or, they will ask for more same as with anyone else, but won't be any more likely to refuse to negotiate) because you have good credit.

Look at the flip side, If they know you are qualified and can afford the car, they are more likely to work with you, since they sure don't want to let you out the door to go buy elsewhere! Now, if they have no idea if you are a credit rat, they might not be quite as interested in spending time haggling with you.

Just figure out what you are willing to pay, and make them an offer. be clear that you are preapproved and ready to buy RIGHT NOW, otherwise you are going to Bobst on down to the next dealer, and you should be on the done board real quick.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    ...for a luxury dealership. The margins are so good I'd have to believe that they would have their pick of experienced salespeople.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I get very leery of a high end franchise that is looking for "green peas" (term for new salespeople).....Tradionally the stores that run these types of ad's turn over alot of help. That is never a good sign. It will be a good experience to go and see what's up....but be cautious.

If you were buying a $70K car do you want to deal with somebody who has no experience and no knowledge of the products??
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    Or.... they use the BMW dealership as the hook.. but after the interview, tell you that you really aren't qualified for that, or all of those positions are filled.... "But, we can put you out front of a Toyota dealership with 10 other greenpeas all wearing our nifty blue polo shirts!!"

Good luck!

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ......... My Ex (or is she my ex ex.?) was a "head hunter" for years .... material handling, computer software, transport management, sales, you name it ....

The real good ones will talk an owner into getting the best qualified for the position (how do you think I met her .l.o.l.) and most of the time they're pushing someone that can't really do the job or they are better qualified for something else ....

Good managers or a good owner wants to see and talk with the "goods" personally, and make up their own mind, especially a Bimmer dealer .... I doubt it's Toyota, but like someone kinda mentioned, they're usually trying to line you up in a vast market for any type of sales, ya know like copiers or selling pest supplies because there's a big commission involved "somewhere" ... good dealers don't use them, and if they are, you can usually "backdoor" the head hunters if you can find the name ...... but like a said, good stores that are very fair with their employee's don't have a need or a want for them ---- and no, I didn't use her business service either ......... :P

Terry.
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    "If you were buying a $70K car do you want to deal with somebody who has no experience and no knowledge of the products??"

Sure, I am happy to buy any product from an ignorant, inexperienced sales person as long as it is the product I want.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Posts: 544
    Good points guys, their website does say they handle lots of dealers...

Anyways, I'm reposting; my original post was deleted because I forgot to X out the phone number, looks like we lost a couple other posts too..

If anybody else wants to chime in...

*** "I responded to this ad recently:

"RARE OPPORTUNITY TO SELL THE FINEST AUTOMOBILES IN THE WORLD: BMW.

Our vehicles are the Ultimate Driving Machine. What we need from you is to be the Ultimate Selling Machine.

We do not require previous sales experience. However, excellent verbal skills, a stable employment history and impeccable references are a given. A BMW salesperson should have integrity which is beyond reproach and a track record of success.

Please call Evelyn in our office to arrange a confidential interview with our sales recuiter. Evelyn can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx."

I called and she was very nice; she stated she works for a company called DealerSTAFF which does nothing but interview for car dealers. I found their website HERE . She stated they are conducting interviews in my area on Tuesday at 7, and if I am hired they will place me at a client dealership closest to my home (?)

My question is: have any of you ever had any experience with this process, either on the applicant or employer side? This is the first time I have seen such an application process for a car dealership." ***

So it sounds like they'll probably offer me a job at an undesireable dealership? Maybe one that has high turnover or more salespeople than customers?
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,492
    Bought a brand new '05 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 this past weekend. It had a total of 7 miles on it. I put about 100 miles on it since then.

Yesterday, I was in the local grocery store parking lot looking for a parking space. Never drove more than about 10 MPH while there. When I finally found a spot, I hit the brakes to pull into a slot. Brake pedal goes to the floor and the truck keeps rolling.

Long and short of the story, I had two choices. Plow into another parked car, drive through the door of the Krogers, or look for a concrete block "stopper" to (hopefully) bring the truck to a halt with no damage. I was able to find an empty space. Front tires hit and went over the concrete blocks. The rear tires did not and I indeed came to a complete stop. This all happened within seconds. Once I got the truck to a complete stop. I started it back up. Eventually, I was able to "pump" the brake pedal to get pressure, but it was, at best, weak.

The only damage was to the rear alloy wheel.

Aside from being pretty scary when you end up with no brakes, any thoughts as to what to do in this scenario? I reported the incident to the Toyota dealership. They towed the Tacoma. Should I push to get another truck since this one has only 100 miles and having no brakes is a safety issue? Is this even feasible? I'm certainly not comfortable considering if this had happened on the highway, or any road, travelling at higher speeds, the results would have been a disaster. My faith is more than a little shaken with this vehicle.

Right now, I'm a little "gun shy" with the Tacoma....particularly given the fact I bought it under the premise that I wouldn't experience any such issues.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    Wow...scary!

I can't blame you for feeling uneasy but this was a freak thing that could happen on any new car.

Hard to guess what happened but I would bet on a defective master cylinder from the factory. I'm sure Toyota will be all over this one!
    Thanks, isell.....

Maybe I'm feeling too skittish. My dealer actually was all over it. When they towed it, they had a "loaner" brought to my house, too. It certainly could have been a lot worse scenario.

Now, the "fear factor" (rightfully or wrongfully) is setting in....I don't know how I'm going to address this when they come back with the repairs and try to soothe my frazzled mind.

I know you're "a Honda guy" but from a dealer perspective, what do you think would happen if I told them I didn't want the "fixed" Tacoma but another one? I'll stick with the dealership, but because I'm skittish, what would be the dealer stance if I requested another vehicle? I don't want to keep a $27K vehicle that I'm afraid to drive.

Any good options here?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,494
    Did you think about the emergency brake? At parking lot speeds that would have stopped you quickly using the two rear wheels.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

To be honest, it happened so fast the only thing I could think of was to keep pumping away at the brake pedal to see if I could get any pressure. Didn't even think of the emergency brake. I was just looking for an "out". Looked around quickly to survey my options. Thought the best was to look for a stationary obstacle that wasn't a car or building that could/would stop me. Plus, being a weekend, there were plenty of people in the parking lot. I certainly didn't want to head in their direction. In addition to that, there were cars moving in and out of parking spaces that had no clue I couldn't stop the truck.

Fortunately, I saw 3 open parking spaces and I headed for those and aimed for the concrete barriers in front of them.

You don't realize how much of a hit 10 MPH is. It feels like you're crawling when you're driving. When the wheels hit the concrete, it was quite a jolt, however.

In hindsight (being 20-20), that was probably what I should have done, though....step on the emergency brake.
    I doubt I would have thought quickly enough to use the parking brake, either...

It sounds like you did a great job!!

Not a dealer, but I doubt the new truck thing will fly.. Unless, of course, they tell you they can't find anything wrong.. :surprise:

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

• user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    After they repair it, ask that the service manager take you for a spin while you ride in the passenger seat. If it passes a 1/2 hour of stop and go driving in the city test, then agree to take it home. If he bawlks, tell him you want another vehicle. ;)
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,440
    You will only get a new truck if Toyota itself is involved in the situation. It is not the dealer's call unless you make a big fuss about it, then the dealer would be speaking with toyota itself and getting them involved. Even then, a manufacturer will give you a new replacement car if they fail to find or fix the problem after many tries.

If they find the problem and fix it, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about although I understand how you might be nervous each time you get behind the wheel of your truck.

boomchek: driven 10,000+ cars, sold 1000+ cars, owned 50+ cars

• jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    Having lost my master cylinders a couple of times, it is really hard to say what you could do when it happens. You generally pump the brakes, find nothing and start to panic.

But let me assure you, I was not panicking as much as the Midas shop owner whose window I nearly went through ...
  • carol23mcarol23m Posts: 4
    Just this Friday (6/10), I bought a USED 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT. I signed the papers, left a check for the downpayment, and took the car home.

As soon as I got home, the car started overheating and the Check ENGINE light came one. I was furious.

The next day (sat.), I went back and tried to take the car back. They wouldn't take it back and said they could put me in another car. They beat around the bush and tried putting me in old, high milage cars that were not close the the value of the 3000GT.

I went back again yesterday (MOnday), and told them I wanted my down payment back and I wanted to LEAVE THEIR CAR. They said I could not do that. I STOPPED PAYMENT on the check that they had not cashed, and left the car there.

Is there anything I can do to legally undo the contract? Can they do anything to me at this point? PLEASE HELP??? The car price was only $7,900.
    Well, I guess you could demand another truck and see what they say. They really did no wrong. It was a defective part that caused the failure. Very surprising the more I think of it. You have a dual master cylinder so you shouldn't have had a total failure. And...it gave no prior warning like a soft pedel.

Very VERY strange....be sure to let us know what they found. They also need to carefully inspect the truck for any damage from hitting that curb.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Well, IF the car was purchased "as-is", it sounds like it is your car and your problem. IF there was any warranty offered by the dealer, then they need to fix the car. I am not a lawyer, but either way I think ultimately the car is yours. You are talking about a 9 year old car, and when you buy a 9 year old car used, you cannot assume it will perform and be up to the standards of a brand new car.
    Well, I assume you didn't have the car inspected by a good shop before you bought it?

Normally cars aren't returnable. Once you drive it off the lot it's yours. No "cooling off" period on cars.

What kind of a lot was it? a dealer or an independent.?

How many miles on the car?

And, it's possible it just blew a hose or something monir happened that the dealer who sold you the car knew nothing about. Maybe it's not a big deal.
    I was going to bring up the pre-purchase mechanical inspection too, but I didn't want to "pile on". Seems like if nothing else, this is a good "learning experience".
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    First - go back and get the car. Unfortunately for you, it is yours. You paid the money and signed the papers. By giving them back the car and not paying, it essentially becomes a repossession. Your credit rating could take a hit, and the dealer could just turn around and sell it again, so you're not hurting them.

Sounds like you got a bad dealer, but did you have a mechanic check out this 9 year-old car before you bought it? Buyer beware. I feel for you, but I doubt that a court would do anything for you. Maybe you could get your deposit back and get the dealer to take the car back, but it's iffy. Talk to a lawyer first.
    They don't have any of your money.. Have you signed any loan papers?

I have no idea of the legal aspects... but, the fact that you've left the car at the dealership, and they don't have your money is a positive for your situation..

It is almost impossible for someone to make you fulfill a contract... that is, to sue for specific performance... However, they can sue you for monetary damages..

But, they have kind of a tough argument.. they can only sue for actual damages.. So, to say they took a bath on the deal, they'll have to admit the car is a piece of crap... Otherwise, how much damage can their be?

If you want to go down this road, just be sure that if any bank calls, you tell them that you are NOT purchasing the car, and will not be responsible for any monies that they forward to the dealer..

I'm not saying you have a legal leg to stand on, but if you already know the car is a POS, then you are better off stonewalling, than taking the car..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

I guess you can tell we aren't lawyers.... ;)

Edmunds Moderator

No, but I used to watch LA Law as a kid.
    thanks for your responses.

I DID have the car inspected by my mechanic. Look it thourougly and said there was nothing wrong with it except the brake pads, and roters.

So THEN....the dealership a big JOE MYERS Toyota, "fixed" these minor details. So I took it home.

When I argued with them that the car is malfunctioning, even the Regional Mgr. said..."maybe when we worked on it, and washed the motor, something happened". So essentially, AFTER they worked on it, is when the car started acting up.

I did not sign loaner papers. But now the car is at their dealership, I left the keys, and stopped payment on the check.
    They don't have your money, or loan application.. and, you don't have their car..

Doesn't sound like the deal was ever consumated...

Of course, they could file a criminal charge of fraud for you stopping payment on the check, but that seems unlikely...

Sounds like a sticky situation..

Edmunds Moderator

By the way....this 1997 Mitsubishi only had about 66K miles. Not very much.

I am afriad that my credit will take the hit for all this.

This is a nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.