Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Any Questions for a Car Dealer?

1519520521522523525»

Comments

• geekaygeekay Posts: 51
    Hi, Have'nt posted for a while, but can any of the good folks here inform if race has anything to do with deal one is likely to get ?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,256
    Hi, Have'nt posted for a while, but can any of the good folks here inform if race has anything to do with deal one is likely to get ?

Nope doesn't matter what the race is running, be it the Indy 500, Daytona or whatever people still get the same deal.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• biancarbiancar Mid-AtlanticPosts: 965
    Do a google search on car-buying, race, gender. I recall one study that said that a well-dressed (i.e., expensively dressed) woman got the worst deal.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Do a google search on car-buying, race, gender. I recall one study that said that a well-dressed (i.e., expensively dressed) woman got the worst deal.

I find it strange that one type of person would get a better deal than another.... The dealership/salesperson will try to make the most they can. They'll naturally start high and work down. When the customer agrees with the price, the deal is done. If there's a well-dressed man, will the dealer just instantly drop $5000 off the price and not even seek any profit? But if it's a woman or minority, they won't budge? That sounds really strange.... So basically this "study" said that the well-dressed woman just agreed to higher numbers than anyone else?
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Since I entered through service and parked there, the salesguys did not see my car coming in - I just showed up on the parking lot. I caught myself getting annoyed when nobody came to me - I think I looked too young or something, so they decided I wasn't worth the trip outside. How do I know?

See, it's a Catch-22. If you greet too quickly, then it's harrassment. If you greet too slowly, then it's disrespect. And, of course, every person has different definitions for too quickly and too slowly.... It's a no-win situation.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Re: Catch22 - It doesn't have to be that. What I would prefer is that someone make contact with me and then when I say I just want to look around right now, the person would say okay, have fun, my name is whatever. Just give me a holler if I can help with anything.

No harrassment, no disrespect. In fact, that approach shows complete respect in my opinion.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,256
    Did you read what I wrote?

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    This is the proper way, Pat.
  • Suppose a dirty, almost homeless-looking gent walks in..and wants to check out an expensive car? Do you waste your time?

When I was shopping for a Highlander would go to the dealership on days when I was looking disheveled (maybe was in the middle of painting a room or just got done doing a long hike on a muddy trail, etc.) -- I was rarely bothered by salespeople when I just wanted to be able to think to myself while evaluating the different trimlines and features available.
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,670
    "would go to the dealership on days when I was looking disheveled"

Why wait days till you look disheveled? Just pop a couple alka-seltzer in your mouth...the salespeople will think you are rabid. Won't come near ya with a 30 foot pole.
    Of course they may call the pound or animal control on you. :sick:
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Another good way to keep the sales folks away from you is:(not necessarily in this order)

1. Be talking on your cell phone endlessly while walking the inventory (salespeople will think you lost your way and ended up at the dealership unknowingly)
    2. Do not bathe for 1 or 2 weeks (this one works like a charm)
    3. Scream at the top of your lungs "who wants to sell me a car today?" and see how quickly the sales people run away from you.

:blush:
    Mackabee
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    Thanks for the laugh, mack, and for ending this discussion on a good note :)

This particular conversation can continue in our discussion called How to find a quality salesman.

Please keep the suggestions for new topics coming here:

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

If you've got ideas for a sales biz discussion, I'd be glad to hear about those too!

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.