Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004 Xc90 2.5T - Dual Ignition Coil Failure

lola25tlola25t Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Volvo
I recently had the most unsettling experience with my Xc90 - a car that after 5-years and just over 100k miles has been a rockstar. The trouble started with no forecast or warning: I'd been driving the car all day, running errands and when I started it after my last errand of the day I got the shock of my life -- there was intense engine noise, tremendous shaking and twisting (if you can imagine), the check engine light was flashing and I had little ability to accelerate. I felt like I was trying to drive a child's battery-powered toy. Luckily I was in a safe place and could wait for aid.
I just got the diagnosis from the dealer “multiple engine misfirings due to malfunction in the 1st and 2nd ignition coils." Ok, I admit it, I hardly know where the gas tank is but common sense tells me two of the same things don’t magically fail at the SAME TIME. My gut is telling me there is more to this; some type of stress from another source had to have contributed to this spontaneous breakdown. Any one else have this problem?

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but common sense tells me two of the same things don’t magically fail at the SAME TIME

That's what one would expect of two things that operate completely independently of one another but it is not the case with ignition coils. While the electrical circuit may have voltage suppressors to prevent damage to the electronics that doesn't guarantee absolute protection in all circumstances.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Individual ignition coils have replaced the old car and rotor distributor. Like a distributor after a while they give out and need to be replaced. While it is funny that 2 coils failed at the same time, it isn't impossible. May want to get them all replaced.
This discussion has been closed.