Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• rube1rube1 Posts: 1
    has anyone installed this system in 01 740il?
  • First, thanks to all of you, I have really learned a lot about these cars over past few days. You all really seem to know your BMW's inside and out.

I am looking at a 2000 740iL Sport Package and wanted to pass along some thoughts and get some clarification. My car experience has been with Volvo and Lexus up to now - and I've decided to change it up a bit.

Despite having 115K miles on it - the one I am looking at is in impeccable condition inside. I was really surprise some of the "gadgets" - like the auto-rear window shade were still working. I was very impressed with the quality of the interior and, at 6'5", I felt I had plenty of room.

that being said, I need to find out if there is anyway to update the navigation system - it is obviously using 1st generation maps so they aren't very good.
    The original owner has ALL of the maintenance records - with no MAJOR repairs (major for me mean engine, transmission, suspension, etc.)
    At $10,000 (private party - family discount), this seem like a great car I could get another 100K out of.

I guess what I am looking for are questions I should get answered before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

JCW
  • I echo your sentiments...

I have been reading through this board for the better part of 4 months now and am finally taking the long awaited plunged into BMW ownership.

I am currently looking at a 2000 740IL with 84K...dealer is asking 12,400

- One owner vehicle with all service records.
    - Execellent condition inside and out with more than 3500 in recent repairs (power steering lines, rear control arms and brakes)
    - Area of concern is faint thumping noise coming from the front. The dealer says rotors, but from reading the board, I fear CA bushings may be worn.

I've noticed very few postings on this board since the spring. I hope the seasoned owners can provide some insight to a newbie. Thanks All!!!
  • Bought it as a demo with 5000 miles in April 1998 for $50000. I can say that it drives today the same as it did
    9 1/2 years ago. Repairs... oh yea. Waranty work took care of the catalytic converters, rear shocks, instrument
    cluster, glove box and center console mechanisms. Was told the radiator neck would probably break around 60000 miles.
    It did at 62500. Replaced it myself. Ac compressor and
    water pump went at 90000 and 92000. Both total $2000.
    Leaking valve covers at 98000. $700. Now have leaking
    timing chain cover at 102000. Cost est. $3000. May not seem too bad over 9 1/2 years but throw in regular mantainence
    and two brake jobs, the first one $900 the second one $350
    ordering the parts from Autohauz Arizona and doing it
    myself. Oh yea the power steering hoses both low and high pressure around 75000 miles. You can always say it's cheaper
    than buying a new car. I thought about unloading it and buying a LS430 used just going by what I've been reading
    about Lexus and the nice ride and reliability. So today
    I test drove a 2004 LS430 and I kept thinking is this all
    there is. I liked my beamer better.
  • slim8slim8 Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 95 740IL and a friend of mine in europe has told me you can check the true milage of the vehicle buy holding the trip meter in and turning on the ignition (or some method like that ) and the true mileage will be displayed.....can anyone verify this method and is it done this way ?
  • I have been trying to sell my 2001 740i for over a month now by posting it on cars.com, autotrader and craigslist.

I lowered the ASKING price to $100 less than kelley blue book private party average (i do live in New York city) and still no calls.

The car has 63,000 miles and in great shape.

Has anyone tried to sell a 7series themselves, any suggestions?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 62,034
    What are you asking? Looks like it should sell at around $15,000 in real money?

Kelley tends to be unrealistically high, maybe that's the snag, or just could be the wrong time of year.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• It has sport package, convinience package, cold weather pkg. 63K miles.
    Got it as a certified BMW in 2003 for $43K

Kelley private party is $20,600 I am asking $20,500.

$15K sounds more like Kelley trade in value.

I also thought it could be time of the year...
    I've seen clean 2001s sellling $15K up to $18K asking. I've not seen one at $20K though. They do depreciate a lot, sad to say.

Lemme check on autotrader for you and come up with average asking price for a bunch of them.....

STAY BY:

Okay, here's the results--it's a pretty good pool of comps--175 cars for sale

# of 2001 7-series found: 175 cars for sale

$29,500 Highest asking price (silly)
    $10,300 Lowest asking price ( a beater)
    $17,860 Average asking price (probably close to reality)

• It is said how quickly they depreciate....

I was just thingking if i sell it for $18k i will need to spend AT LEAST $55k on a new 535 just to replicate all the features that this car has :(
    Yeah Edmunds True Market Value software says dealer retail is $18.6K with low miles and outstanding condition. Private Party is $16.6K. So the 175 comps we found were pretty much dead center in between those two numbers.

• Mr_Shiftright, thank you for your research.

I noticed that Edmunds dropped the price of this car by about $2000 3 weeks ago. Not sure what caused it but i guess they cannot updated it regularly in small increments.

Not sure if i am ready to part with this car for $17k though :(
    Well asking $20K is not unreasonable. You might get a hit with that.

Why don't you post your info HERE (see link below) and see what the "pros" think. Be sure to tell them you want a RETAIL price:

Real World Trade In Values

• Wow. I just wanted to thank all who have contributed to this board. I have loved the BMW 740 from afar... for the aggressive styling on the sport package and the beautiful interior. Now that used prices are down to a level that I could afford I started doing some research. This has been a great resource for seeing if it is worth picking one up. I am sad to say I unfortunately will not be picking one up... looks like there are some serious quality issues with this model. Its seems that the issues are pretty much the same.

1. Transmission issues
    2. Radiator replacement
    3. Navigation Screen Problems and Software
    3. Electronics are a disaster
    4. Control Arm replacement
    5. Exhorbitant Price for Brake Jobs
    6. Power Steering Hoses

When I balk at the cost of even a simple oil change, I think the decision has been made for me. I had a 528i when I was younger and loved the car for its prestige and reliability. I know that BMW engines have a reputation for being super reliable and the 4.4 litre V8 was considered the workhorse. I figured I wouldnt care if the various gadgetry went and a couple of the power options crapped out, as long as the car moved I could enjoy that aspect. Ive lived without Navigation for a while so I dont really need it. But it sounds like this models issues go way beyond that and that the car actually running depends on alot of these minor electronics issues being fixed. The post that said if you buy one of these cars you should be willing to average $200 in repairs a month puts it all in perspective.

My questions are:

1. Are there any other recurring issues with these models that are not on my list?
    Sadly, Im still holding out hope that there would be something for me to make the justification to buy one.

2. Ive loved the BMW marque for the better part of twenty years. Are the reliability issues the same for the lower end models, 3 series or even 5 series?

3. Can anyone else recommend a luxury sedan with much better reliability issues? I know Japanese is probably much better, but Im not a fan. I was looking at the X Type.

Thanks again for this really informative source!
  • look hard in the papers. I just bought a 95 740i for only 3k. last year we also bought a 95 m3 for only $5800. i dont know if were just lucky but all i did was wait. i had to wait for about a year but i found that 740i for 3K.
  • I want to put a cd player in the dash. Does anybody already have this done. How hard is it to do. Thanks
    You know, that's one job I'd let a stereo shop do for you, because it's not that expensive and they know what fits and they wire it up safely. Also they have all the tricky tools you don't. You fry something on a 740i wiring harness and you can throw it away.

However, I am not one to discourage courage in a man, so you could start here:

http://www.installer.com/kits/

• tcbrokertcbroker Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 7series... and all of a sudden the power window stopped working.... and it won't budge... its stuck. Any ideas?
    Well the usual diagnostic procedure would be to check the fuse circuit first, then to pop out the window switch and by-pass it to see if it was bad, then to apply current directly to the power window motor after romoving the panel to see if the motor is bad or jamming up.

• paul311paul311 Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2000 740I with 94500 miles. Dealer is asking 12,900. I am trying to get a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty in this deal. Carfax confirms one owner and accurate milage. Is there anything potentially hidden with this many miles that I should be concerned about? Also, I noticed a small ticking on the drivers side of the engine. I have been told in the past that after sitting a while an air bubble may develop, is this true? :confuse:
  • after going over rail road tracks the trans prog light came on and the transmission was very sluggish. i pulled over and let the car set for 5 hours and it started up and acted fine. i had it towed home as i was afraid to drive it. the book says i have a transmission module failure. should i try driving it again or what? i hate to spend a lot of money on an old car. plaese advise.
    You may find this helpful:

BMW E38 Watch List

• So after many years of leasing new cars, I'm finally considering buying a car. My current Infiniti M35x is coming off of lease and after quite a bit of looking, I am unable to find a comparable lease deal to what I had (looked at a number of luxury vehicles).

I really like the interior and exterior of the 2006 BMW 750Li/750i (and after doing some research, this seems like a great car to purchase) and I've gone to BWM dealerships as well as "luxury used car" dealerships. Cars that I've seen have anywhere from 27K to 42K miles and range in price from $36,000-$47,000.

Now I understand that buying a CPO from BMW gives me a) 3.9% financing and b) a 6 year/100K warranty. But some of these luxury used car dealership have considerably lower prices (sometimes over $5,000 difference for comparable cars) and talking to some of these non-BMW dealerships, I've been told that a) the BMW factory warranty (including free maintenance) to 4 years/50K miles still applies and b) I can purchase extended bumper-to-bumper warranties for about $2K or so (that have 0 deductibles) and that these would give me 4 years/50K miles bumper-to-bumper protection from the date of purchase.

I have a few questions:

1) Is buying a BMW 7 series from a non-BMW dealer something that people have experienced/suggest?
    2) Has anyone had experience with these third party bumper-to-bumper warranty companies?

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,079
    A large local newspaper would like to speak with consumers who currently own or had owned a BMW 7 Series since the 2002 model came out. The reporter wants to discuss topics such as the Bangle butt and the iDrive. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please respond to [email protected] with your daytime contact information no later than September 15.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• neenneen Posts: 12
    Hi. I just got my car today and I can't figure out how to connect my ipod to it. Do I just purchase a cable that fits into the jack for audio playback in the center console? Please help.

Thanks
  • I need a owner's manual for my BMW 735il. I have lost mine and I really depend on it. I would like to know if anyone has one I could get or knows of any place I may get one.
    This might help:

Manuals Online

If not, you can't go wrong with eBay for this sort of thing.

• I am considering purchasing a 97 740I with 155K. I am concerned with reliability and how much money I would need to dump into the car for repairs over time.
    I would appreciate to hear your repair experiences from 100K-250K for the 95-01 7-series generation.
    This question has been thoroughly addressed in your duplicate post in 7 series maintenance topic.

Visiting Host

Oops! Here's your link to that answer:

Answer to Your Question