Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I heard an ad on the radio that you can now get 0% financing for up to 72 months on Cavaliers or $4000 cash back. Any truth in this?
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    are you thinking of getting a cavalier?
  • cwo4cwo4 Posts: 90
    With the rebates we can get a 2003 4 Door, AC, radio with CD, automatic transmission for less than $11K. I can't find a Toyota Echo or a Hyundai for that price. So whats wrong with getting a Cavalier?
    because going from his jetta 1.8t to a cavalier would be a major step downward. as it would be for a toyota echo or a hyundai from the jetta.
    The thought crossed my mind, had my car been a total loss, in order to save some money for other things I wanted to do in my life. I don't think I would be willing to make the sacrifice though, speaking from a personal standpoint.

The Cavalier isn't a bad car, but I am used to a car that's more luxurious, quicker, and one that 'feels' heavier in my hands than the Cavalier does.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Actually with the Ecotec, the Cavalier is likely faster than your Jetta. Every thing else would be a step down for sure though.

Was your car a w/o, I never did hear?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Dindak, the saga of vocus' car is in the Jetta discussion. I've asked him to keep the conversation in one discussion, so please check it out over there. Thanks!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I don't know, an eco Cavalier beating a 1.8T Jetta?

~alpha
    You are right, about a second difference in 0-60, I forgot it was a turbo.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    even if the cav is faster, overall the jetta looks and feels about 5 grand better.
    That's because it costs about $5 grand more.. :)
    the 1.8t will blow away a cavalier.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    jetta GL's can be bought for under 16 grand. Too many cavaliers sticker at close to 20 grand. Of course, its a 95 cavalier with a 2003 sticker on it so it needs 5 grand or more in discounts etc. for anyone to come in and test drive it. Jettas might even be able to be leased cheaper than cav's considering the better resale.

bottom line is, no one buys a cav out of desire, but many buy jettas because of desire. I would bet 90% of those who buy cavs would have preferred another car, but had to settle for the cav because of incentives, etc.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 774
    I made that choice in February--Cavalier. I didn't have to settle because I couldn't afford the Jetta either. The Jetta GLS was just too slow. The Cavalier, with its new Ecotec engine, runs circles around the Jetta GLS. I bought it for my kid because in "sports coupe" trim, it looked and ran sportier than the Jetta. (Of course, it didn't hurt that the $20K sticker resulted in a $13K out-the-door sales price).
    you could of gotten the GL 1.8t and have a car that run circles around the cavalier. cavalier being sportier than a jetta in any form doesn't compute to me.
    On what planet can you get a 1.8T Jetta for $13K out the door?
    Venus:

Good point. The Jetta 1.8T automatic is quicker than the Cavalier. However, the purchase price is bound to be about 70% higher. At about $21,500 (excluding TT&L) the Jetta 1.8T will outperform the Cavalier (although I wouldn't call a half-second advantage in the 0-60 mph or quarter-mile runs "running circles around the cavalier").

Just for grins, let's see what we can buy for a 70% price differential over a Jetta 1.8T (about $36,500): Honda S2000, Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, Infiniti G35 coupe, Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX-8, etc. Care to run your Jetta against any of these?

As far as "sporty" is concerned, I guess that's truly in the eyes of the beholder.
    What did I start? I didn't mean to start this, just so you all know. I was just saying before about the Cavalier being more of an economy car while the Jetta is a little more luxurious. Of course, the prices definitely reflect it.

I think Venus meant the Jetta would be sportier, not necessarily at the same price, as the Cavalier, Vinny.

Actually, a friend of mine was talking tonight about a Cavalier because of the good prices. He spoke of a loaded Cav LS with a $19k MSRP for $12K at a dealer near us, and said he thought about getting one since he would be able to afford a new car now and not have to wait until next year. I think the idea of getting one because of all the rebates is almost right.

They still don't sway some people though. They definitely didn't work for me, I ended up getting something else instead of the Cav.
    Vocus:

You didn't start anything but a little friendly debate...

The Cavalier offers a lot of features for the money. It's good looking, performs well and gets decent gas mileage. However, it's not the most reliable.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The only reason I didnt consider the Cavalier more seriously this past January were its offset and side impact crash test scores. You figure, you're buying a 2003 vehicle, why should it offer bottom rung safety?

~alpha