Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of buying a Porsche? Read this and think again!

2»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 54,585
    That's generally true Tony, according to data gathered by the Porsche club, but they also noted that IMS failure can happen any time to any Boxster or 996 up to around 2009.

If you buy one of these cars used, you MUST have it checked out prior to purchase. The best you can do is to saw the oil filter in half and look for any bearing debris. If you see even a little, that engine will soon be toast, no matter how well it runs at the moment. In some cases, you can intervene at that point with a retrofit IMS bearing but that's expensive and if there's already debris in the system, there's still a risk.

If you see no sign of debris, then go ahead and buy it, but religiously change the oil every 3,000 miles, no matter what the "book" says. And keep your fingers crossed.

If the engine grenades on your early Boxster or 996, the car is pretty much totaled and not worth repairing.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I don't mean to come off sounding like a d%$k, but be honest. Those of you whining and complaining about Porsche problems (no matter the model) and having a budget have no business owning a "Porsh". To the rest of you, you already know that owning a Porsche is like having the slightly crazy yet beautiful SO..if your gonna play, you gotta pay, and if you can handle the cost it's a worthwhile experience.
  • I've had my Boxster for 17 years and have never had an engine problem. I've maintained the car mostly myself and have saved a bunch of money doing so. There are tons of DIY YouTube videos and How To's that take you step-by-step through the repair process.
    Look - if you want a Toyota, I suggest you buy one and you'll have many happy low cost miles ahead of you. If you want a true performance car that's a blast to drive, that's amazing in the corners and has incredible build quality, buy a Porsche. I will never buy anything else :)

Spot on, Dude!
2»