Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

AWD not available for 2010 Highlander?

jomcclenjomcclen Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Toyota
The 2009s were available in 2WD, 4WD and AWD. I see now that Toyota's website only inlcludes the 2WD and 4WD for 2010. Why was AWD discontinued, and should I care? I go skiing up in the Sierras and was hoping to buy AWD.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Toyota 4WD systems explained discussion too.
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    When I got my 2009 Highlander Sport, the only choices were 2WD and full time 4WD. That's all that was offered and all that appeared in the brochures at the dealers. Some sales people or perhaps some reviewers may have mistakenly referred to the 4WD as AWD but Toyota itself has only called it full time 4WD on the 2008 and 2009 Highlanders(and apparently on the 2010's also).
  • jomcclenjomcclen Member Posts: 2
    Thx kharris. Did you get the 4WD? If so, are you happy with it?
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    I'm happy with the Highlander so far but I haven't had a chance to use it in winter conditions(no snow or ice yet where I live) so I don't know how effective the 4WD will be. It's fine on paved roads in both dry and heavy rain conditions.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There is no such "animal" as a 4WD built on a FWD "base". Toyota is being a bit too liberal with the "4WD" term. Base FWD vehicles MUST have the front drive mechanically, SOLIDLY, coupled to the transaxle output so the only rear drive option is to somehow make it a "soft" adaptable coupling or an intermittent one.

The SH-AWD system by Acura is not just the beat of the best in this regard it is clearly head and shoulders above the next in line insofar as all around engine torque distribution is concerned.
This discussion has been closed.