Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Looks like you found the best place for this question gmannj, "Mercedes-Benz S-Class Lease Questions" #81, 12 Dec 2007 10:22 am.

Good luck - let us know how it works out for you.
  • This forum was helpful in my recent purchase of an Audi A8L.

The car currently has 45,500 miles on it. I purchased it for $32,000.

The dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty for $4988\ 4 yrs or 50K additional miles.

does it make any sense to buy the warranty or should I just invest the money and pay for the repairs myself.
  • Don't know if this is helpful or not, but I work with a guy who's got an A6. I think he bought it new a few years ago, but I know he also got the extended warranty. He says it saved his bacon a few times already. Your A8 may be different, but he told me when he had transmission problems, the dealer just put in a new tranny to the tune of $5K+. He said they don't even have tools to take apart the transmission, they just replace the whole thing if anything goes bad. Without the warranty, he would have been sunk. Good luck, maybe my coworker just had a lemon.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    does it make any sense to buy the warranty or should I just invest the money and pay for the repairs myself.

I would suggest going for the extended warranty. I know a few people with A8s. When things go wrong on those cars, they go very wrong, and will cost more than the price of that warranty to fix.
  • pjsentpjsent Posts: 4
    I am seriously considering starting a "limousine" / ground transportation service company. Want to provide customer base with something which is a cut above the DTS / Town Car sort of a vehicle. Candidate cars I am considering would be: A8L, LS460L, S-class. Would appreciate comments from operators who have practical experience using these vehicles in a commercial environment. Thanks for your insights.
    In terms of luxury offered to back seat passengers, I would suggest the LS460L or a Jag XJ VP. The LS is also likely to be the most reliable and have the lowest maintenance costs long term.
  • pjsentpjsent Posts: 4
    The LS is also likely to be the most reliable and have the lowest maintenance costs long term.
    Completely agree. Toyota reliability is not to be scoffed at, based on experience. Would need to look at interior specs on Jaguar. My initial impression was: beautiful machine, but don't have many customers willing to ride further than 1/4 mile with their knees tucked up under their chin. :D
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,909
    Sometime in the next few months I will be buying a new car. Right now my candidates are: 1 or 2 year old LS 430 or 460, Acura RL, and though I know little about it there is something about the Hyundai Genesis that fascinates me.

Anyone have any thoughts on these cars?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Sometime in the next few months I will be buying a new car. Right now my candidates are: 1 or 2 year old LS 430 or 460, Acura RL, and though I know little about it there is something about the Hyundai Genesis that fascinates me.

The best year to get for an LS430 is a 2004. If you're looking in the full size lux class, I think the Acura RL would probably be too small. It's really cramped compared to an LS, and also just not a great car. The A6 and M are both more comfortable, more spacious, and much better to drive. I would suggest considering a certified used Jaguar XJ, possibly a VP depending on how much room you want in the back. As for the Genesis, I think I'd rather have the real thing (LS460) than the imitation.
    I respect your opinions but there is just something about the RL that I like. I have owned several Acuras in the past with no disappointments.

The LS is at the top of my list and I will reserve judgment on the Genesis until I can drive one. The dealership is the problem there.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    The LS is at the top of my list and I will reserve judgment on the Genesis until I can drive one. The dealership is the problem there

With the LS you will probably be happy for a long long time. :)
    Thanks bmlexus. The LS is probably what I will end up with.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I notice that on another board you are seriously considering buying an S6. My question is have you driven one of them and for any extended period of time? If so, what are the upsides and the downsides? Your impressions of course.

In a recent comparison on Edmunds, it was noted that the A6 was extremely uncomfortable and that "the ride could not get much worse". This was an A6 but I would imagine that the S6's ride would be even more harsh.

The A6 tied for 3rd (last) with Merc, behind the XF and BMW.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

In a recent comparison on Edmunds, it was noted that the A6 was extremely uncomfortable and that "the ride could not get much worse". This was an A6 but I would imagine that the S6's ride would be even more harsh.

When Edmunds declared the Lexus GS430 "Japan's best sports sedan", their comparison tests lost all credibility with me. That said, the XF SV8 is a brilliant car, and I would take one over a 5, E, or A6 4.2. The S6 though is a different matter. The ride is firm but not overly harsh, and the seats are very comfortable. It's very good around town and exceptional on the highway, and can be quite fun to drive, though its not as playful as a 5 or M.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Posts: 172
    I know sales of new and used pickups and full-size SUV's are in the crapper these days. Reading the Real-World Trade-ins forum is pretty depressing when people find out what their trucks are worth.

Just wondering if the same effect has been felt in the V8 luxury market or not. And if so, would it be a good time for a savvy buyer to get a good deal on a slightly used model? I'm thinking Japanese or German. Any thoughts?
    I have had the same thoughts as you and I think this would be a good strategy if you are very careful. Obviously you would not want one as a daily driver where you had to drive it 30 or 40 thousand miles a year.

I currently have a 2000 LX that still looks and drives like new but was thinking it may be a good time to get a newer one. It does not seem that the new LX 570 is being discounted much, if any, so probably smarter to go for an 05,06, or 07. This thing is a horse, very comfortable and we only drive it 5 or 6 thousand miles a year so gas doesn't kill us. You simply cannot beat it for versatility, etc.

Your best bet would be to find an individual that has "panicked" and wants to dump one. I am sure they are out there.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Just wondering if the same effect has been felt in the V8 luxury market or not. And if so, would it be a good time for a savvy buyer to get a good deal on a slightly used model? I'm thinking Japanese or German. Any thoughts?

I think now is a great time to buy a lightly used V8 luxury sedan. A new M45 is about $7K more than an M35, and a new A6 4.2 costs a good $10K more than the 3.2. When you look at the used market though, those differences are basically erased.

If you're looking for something a bit bigger, a CPO Jaguar XJR is an absolute bargain. You can get very low mileage '05 examples in the low $30s.
    When Edmunds declared the Lexus GS430 "Japan's best sports sedan", their comparison tests lost all credibility with me

This had just the opposite effect on me. Different strokes. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• stkntrafficstkntraffic Posts: 172
    I was in fact thinking about the M45. You're right, a quick search of on-line listings shows a lot of price overlap between 2-year-old M35 and M45s. There are a number of 06 M45s with low mileage listing in the low-to-upper $30K range.

I hadn't considered the Jag, but I guess their reliability reputation has improved in recent years. I wonder if maintenance parts would be sky-high or not.
    I highly recommend the M, its one of my favorite cars and "reliable as a wood burning stove" as they like to say on Top Gear, which makes it a smart used buy. I haven't found Jag maintenance prices to be significantly different from what Lexus charges.
    I am seeing several 2006 M35's advertised with low miles in the $27,000 range in the KC area. These are new car dealers and the cars have "lots of warranty left". I may also check these out. The only knock I have heard on these cars is that they get relatively poor mileage.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

The only knock I have heard on these cars is that they get relatively poor mileage.

Yeah, the problem is aggressive gearing combined with only 5 ratios. I don't think its an issue with the engine itself, as Nissan has shown that the VQ35 can actually be reasonably fuel efficient when paired with their CVT, despite being a bit of a gruff 'ole bear compared to the silky Lexus 3.5L. That's another reason why if you're looking at a used M you might as well get the V8. The M35 is now rated at 16/23, vs. 16/21 for the M45.
  • michmportmichmport Posts: 10
    Has it been everyone's experience to always change the rotors whenever changing the pads during the brake maintenance on the A8

Mechanic is suggesting that when the "brake pad" light comes on the rotors are already probably damaged. So, they usually replace them at the same time.

I would think the warning light would warn you well in advance of impending damage. any advice would help with my discussion with the mechanic.
    I had my LX 470 in for an oil change yesterday and noticed that they had a used LX 570 on their lot with about 8,000 miles. Thinking it may be a good buy, I asked the price. Wrong. It sold new for $80,000. and they were now asking $85,000. The salesman said their allocation for new ones was sold out for the next year and a half so they felt justified in asking a premium price. I told him he was nuts.

So much for the high price of gas affecting the sales of this particular SUV. :mad:

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

a used LX 570 on their lot with about 8,000 miles. Thinking it may be a good buy, I asked the price. Wrong. It sold new for $80,000. and they were now asking $85,000. The salesman said their allocation for new ones was sold out for the next year and a half so they felt justified in asking a premium price. I told him he was nuts

Thats so unfair people try to take so much advantage if your looking to get a car.

Asking more price than the new car I hate this kind of people. :mad:
    So much for the high price of gas affecting the sales of this particular SUV.

When you get to the level of LX570, RR Supercharged, Cayenne Turbo, etc. gas prices just don't matter anymore. Ask Ferrari or Aston Martin if gas prices are hurting sales. I don't think so.
    Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV. I don't think anything else even comes close to it. Plus they are apparently in short supply. I might just check out the LC.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV

It certainly is an impressive vehicle. Not my kind of thing, but its a great execution by Lexus.
    Well, the LX 570 is one SUPER SUV. I don't think anything else even comes close to it. Plus they are apparently in short supply. I might just check out the LC

Its very well put together great for family in a long drive cruising.

I would say the LX is a better choice then the LC.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,248
    Ah, capitalism. Supply and demand. It works. Sometimes unfortunately for some folks...

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.