Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,690
    I couldn't care less about status either but there are plenty who do.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,302
    I'm sure you are right, but life is short, and I wouldn't waste my time with it.
    I feel sorry for those who do.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    That is not even close to being accurate Merc. The majority of what MB sells around the world are less expensive than the least expensive Lexus. The average vehicle price on the road is much higher for Lexus than for MB and BMW. Racing heritage is irrelevent to High End Luxury Marques. Honda has much more racing heritage than Acura, guess which of the two belongs to this forum if we have to choose one? On the other hand, RollsRoyce has not been part of any major racing event for over half a century, yet it's still the grand daddy of High End Luxury Marques. Price point and luxury content are what matters. Lexus fleet avearage surpasses that of both MB and BMW on both accounts.
    S class only accounts for a tiny per centage of all MB sales. Ford has a $150k GT that has a selling average price even higher than S class avearage, and has more racing crednetial and heritage than S class to boot. Does that make Ford a higher HELM than MB?? I don't think so.
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    The LS in my household get driven more often than the S. I am sure we all know the reason and what pissed my father off is S costs more than LS. S (RR too) is truly a show-off car only.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Do you think a golf bag would fit in the Cayman rear luggage compartment?

I have heard that you can get two bags in with the drivers removed and placed separately. This could be with small bags though. I think you can get one decent size bag with drivers separate. Of course if this is important you will need to try it yourself. I use my other cars for golf so this was not a factor. I have a pretty big bag (Rodney Dangerfield Caddyshack type replete with pop-up beer tap ;-)) and will try it out soon with the Boxster just out of curiosity.
    Tagman, thanks for that printer info. I have my research and leg work cut out. Will have to make sure the price/capabilities match our needs. Will let you know which way I go.
    Lexus fleet avearage surpasses that of both MB and BMW on both accounts.

Can you provide a reference? Thanks.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Tagman, thanks for that printer info. I have my research and leg work cut out. Will have to make sure the price/capabilities match our needs. Will let you know which way I go.

You are welcome, and don't hesitate to ask more if you need to. I recommend that you visit the Xerox website. BTW, it also shows their Phaser line, in case you do not need to go with the full-blown print server connected to a digital printer routine.

If you are interested, I'll keep you posted as well on the Lotus Elise. I intend to test drive it in late July or early August.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,302
    Okay. Thanks. Curious to know if your golf bag fits in the Boxster.
    Don't snap any shafts!
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 875
    looking at things purely from a US perspective, then might I suggest that Mercedes has taken a huge hit in "public perception". Numerous problems and an apparent almost denial of those problems from a customer service perspective would at least put Mercedes behind Lexus in the all important American perception. Just kind of playing Devils advocate here as neither manufacturer has any models that excite me.
    I would sight the boards here on Edmunds as my source.
    http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/documents/829814_DC_GB05_E_K- apitel_01_keyfigures.pdf

A/B class account for 21% of MB unit sales
    C class 33%
    smart 10%

That's a combined 64% of MB unit sales that are less expensive than even the least expensive Lexus.

Much of the 22% E class sold outside US are with small engines and at a comparable price/luxury level to the Lexus best seller RX.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    lexusguy - thanks. It seems that's an OLD review, BTW, and yes the car is MUCH more refined with MAJOR advances since then.

Yeah, the only test they did of the base convertible was years ago before Tiff moved on to host Fifth Gear. If you're interested, here's a much more recent test of the Exige (elise hardtop).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGx1Au8Rh9c&search=Top%20Gear%20Exige
    If you're interested ...

IF I'm interested? I am definately interested.

And THANKS for the link. Great video! The Lotus Elise and Lotus Exige are amazing performance cars. Unless I really dislike the car when I test it late this summer, I would expect to own one. The question then will be whether or not to wait for an even more-improved '07 at that point, especially considering that there were so many improvements made for '06.

TagMan
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    So Lexus makes more desireable vehicles than Audi and MB? I find it quite strange that selling 10 year old SUV's, a underacheiving mid-size, and a 4-Runner-based midsize is "desireable". If you re-read my post 16334, you'll see the desire that Audi has in it's current and near-future line up.

I'm done arguing the ridiculous and misinformative "HELM" thing with you and everyone else. The perception we(read: United States) have on Audi can't hold a candle to the outstanding support it gets around the world.

Funny tho, you say that Lexus is more acceptable than Audi. Then why is it that it only sells 350-370k cars annually, as opposed to the 1M that Audi does? What you think about Audi here in the U.S. is the same thing someone thinks about Lexus across the pond, where it really counts despite the U.S. being the biggest car market as in Europe, EVERY luxury maker is there, except Lexus. You, Merc, and the others can argue until the cows come home about why Audi is 2nd or 3rd rated, but why is Lexus not with the rest of the competition in Europe?

Moreover, the A8 is currently selling better in Lexus' mainland Asia than the LS. Interesting.....
    I'm done arguing the ridiculous and misinformative "HELM" thing with you (Doc)

blkhemi - that's a good idea. ;)

TagMan
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's just stick to the cars - the high end cars - and stop talking about each other, please.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    If they weren't so eager to agree with me, and write Front Page articles, reflecting my views, this debate wouldn't linger.

Another misquote? I certainly didn't say Lexus is more acceptable. But more ACCEPTED sounds close.

More desirable? Probably.

If you are waiting for me to disagree, you might want to have a seat. :)

BTW, Audi also sells better in Timbuktu, Parts Unknown, South Central Dudleyville, and Planet Krypton. So please don't understate Audi's excellence.

Say it loud, say it Proud! :)

DrFill
    Only eight months after the European premiere of the new S-Class, sales of the sedan have topped 50,000 units. “The new S-Class has been met with great response worldwide, and our flagship vehicle claimed its position as the world’s best-selling luxury sedan immediately following its market launch in September 2005,” says Dr. Klaus Maier, member of the Mercedes Car Group Management Board responsible for Sales and Marketing.

link title

50K units ain't nuttin' to sneeze at.

TagMan
    Just a little FYI . . . I sat in the Aston Martin Vantage this evening, as a friend of mine just picked his up on Saturday, and he showed it to me today. He wanted this car so badly, he had a deposit in place for two years. I don't know how necessary that was to get one, but he wasn't taking any chances. Gentlemen, this is a truly beautiful car with powerful, yet elegant and graceful styling, both inside and out . . . something most all of you would appreciate.

TagMan