Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• AWD helps traction and 0-60 times. Compare quarter mile times and I bet the gap is small. AWD cars always get off the line better than cars driving two wheels.
  • AB doesnt include numbers or subjectivity in reviews. They have a bunch of 20 or 30 somethings writing reviews who dont seem to know much about cars or the industry. He chides GM for badge engineering without mentioning that the Opel and Buick arent sold in the same market. How is badge engineering a bad thing when the cars are on different continents? I guess he doesnt know the TSX is really a Honda from Europe.

His comments on the poor interior quality and styling are just absurd. It wasnt credible at all and commenters agreed.
  • GM owns Opel and Buick. What do you mean its not traditional? Acura sells a Euro Accord in the US. Numerous compact cars in the US are sold under different names or even brands in Europe or Asia. Gloabl automakers use all their global resources to bring cars to market. The bottom line is the Insignia is a good car and a great basis for a Buick. Talking about badge engineering and other such things is just a distraction from the fact that the car is nice.
  • The subject of the review's "quality" or "credibility" aside for a moment, the author did get the Badge Engineering notion he discusses in his article correct. This car was badge engineered. Now, if, TO YOU, that is a bad, neutral or good thing is, well, UP TO YOU.

The age of the reviewer may or may not be relevant, I'm 59 -- I suspect this means that in a year or two, I'll be the geezer who don't know nuttin'

If the subject at hand is Badge Engineering, well, the Regal is exactly that. I remember the Isuzu that had a Honda badge put on it so that Honda could have an SUV (or vice-versa, it escapes me who badged what.)

Personally, I don't care if the Regal is an Opel with a Buick badge on it -- were it to come to the market with AWD, Brembo brakes and the cool seats that it was originally shown with -- even if it would only come with the i4T -- I would keep it on my list.

Since it apparently will not be available thusly, I will probably not even test one of them, since I will not have a 2WD car, period.

Its badge is not of any concern -- hell they could call it an Opel and that, too, would be OK with me -- but not without AWD and the other bits I mentioned above.

Drive it like YOU live!
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 7,019
    The argument is foolish because nobody has defined what "badge engineering" really is. So I will give you a definition: it is when you have a car sold in a given market, and alongside it from the same manufacturer you have the identical car with some small styling and badging changes sold under a different brand. Two cars, sold simultaneously, with no significant differences aside from the brand name.

Can you go to your friendly neighborhood Opel dealer and buy an Insignia? Not in North America. Hence it is not badge engineering. It is global platform usage. The same would apply to Honda and the TSX/Euro Accord. The same would not apply to Honda in Canada, interestingly enough, where they sell the Civic and a Acura Civic-based model.

The autoblog commentary was a cheap shot, pure and simple, from a site that no longer has any credibility.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,437
    Although a perfectly fine definition of BE, I doubt that there is any officially accepted one. It's funny that people are still arguing the point, when--to some degree--the argument itself is pointless. We always seem to get like dogs with bones here.

As for Autoblog, I read it more than any other on-line column. I don't always agree with them, but who would? In this case, someone besides me wasn't all Lady Gaga over the Regal styling inside and out. To me, it is an ok looking car, but after looking at it three times, it seemed to fade into the background. It's a good effort for Buick, but I'd like to see some weight shaved and/or more competitive engines.
  • Ab has great pictures- thats about it. The lack of test data and the inconsistency of their critiques are annoying. Their opinions are all over the place and generally speaking they have an issue with the interior quality of almost every American vehicle they test- including Regal and CTS. Its reasonable to say that they love everything European, love most vehicles that are from Asia and are lukewam towards domestically branded products. Read any random review and you will see that trend. Aside from the fact that the Regal is hardly fast, their critiques were hollow and hard to take seriously. Interior colors dont match? NEver heard that before and didnt notice that in the cars I sat in at the dealer. Styling is incoherent? Most other reviewers love the looks of the car and based on the feedback I've gotten from other people on my car the general public agrees. The icing on the cake was when the reviewer goes on to say that cars like the TSX and CC offer something "special" that the Regal lacks. I'd love to know the details on what they offer that is so special or exclusive.
  • I don't see the significance of the country of origin for car "A" and the same car with a different badge on it sold in country "B". The Regal is an Opel with a Buick badge on it.

I don't consider that a bad thing -- my disappointment in the car (the GS and ONLY the GS), at this point has nothing to do with it's badge.

Hell, if VW or Merc or BMW were to pay a king's ransom for the right to put their logo (badge) on it, it would still have only been an "original" piece of engineering from Opel.

Moreover, if, somehow, Opel did start to sell cars in the US next Tuesday, that would mean, on Monday the car (the Regal) was not badge engineered because it wasn't for sale as an Opel in the US, but on Tuesday it would be?

The market is global -- the original car is an Opel. The fact that GM decided to sell it as a Buick doesn't change that. At one time the Badge that was to be put on it was going to be Saturn. Perhaps next year Cadillac or Chevy will put a badge on an Opel product. A rose by any other name, etc.

I give up -- I can't even believe I have spent this much time on this subject -- the upcoming Buick (née Opel) model Regal GS is, regardless of its badge, not what I was hoping for.

:cry:
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 421
    Went down to the local Buick dealer today on a whim since we had some time to kill. Very nice car. Not a fan of the brown/tan interior but the black looked very sharp from what i could see. I sat in a white with tan interior but only saw the black on black from the lot and didnt go in.

The turbo will be on my test drive list.
    I hate the black interiors in my cars. So many of them ship that way (and that's the only reason I own one) that obviously more than just you like them. To me, they look like a cave, a sea of black, a blurring of the details. Plus, they are hot, they show every white speck, crumb, and bit of dust on the dash, and any dirt on the mats.
  • I also had a vibration noise on my brand new 2011 Regal -- it was from the trunk area and at first it did sound like the license plate, but it turned out that the left rear taillight needed a bolt replaced. Open the trunk and tap on the taillights and see if they make a noise - you might need the same bolt replacement. Ever since the bolt has been replaced the car has been noise and rattle free.
    edited November 2010
    The one I test-drove had the black interior and I found it awfully dark -- aside from the odd bit of silver aluminum trim everything was black, even the wood accents, which weren't wood at all but rather "piano black", which looked to me like shiny black plastic.

I later sat in one with the cashmere interior and found it a lot better. If they had one with titanium or oyster interior trim, it would really appeal to me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• piano black trim is basically black plastic in any car. Its supposed to look like shiny black wood- hence the name. The black interior is very dark but thats the case for most European cars with dark interiors. I like the lighter interior better but I wasnt willing to keep cleaning the seats everytime something rubbed off on them.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 421
    I dont mind black but I wouldn't say I prefer it. The Regal black did look a bit overwhelming from the outside, cant say how it appears sitting in it. I did sit in the cashmere/tan/brown interior and didnt much like it as I said so of the two I'd probably lean black.

Maybe if they didnt do brown along with the tan I'd like that better. Quality of the materials was very good though by my eye.
  • im not a fan of fake wood and I'm unsure if the Regal with cashmere interior has real or fake wood. I think its fake. The cabin isnt as dark and somber with the light interior but I do appreciate the lack of wood in the black interior.
  • When I was at SF auto show yesterday I found Hyudai Sonata and Regal to be very similar cars in many aspects. They have similar quality interiors, similar engines and similar size inside and out. Evidently Regal must handle better than Sonata, since Sonata is a Korean car and Camry wannabe, while Regal is a German car. But on the other hand Sonata has better engines of the same displacement, at least on paper and is lighter and more powerful. Sonata interior has more interesting design and Buicks is more traditional, but both essentially similar quality, even though I liked Sonata's more. Exterior design - Buick looks terrific from front, Sonata is kind of weird and with too much chrome. Sonata's design is more interesting while Regal's cleaner but more traditional. Regal looks also taller and longer outside and wider inside, while Sonata feels like your head will touch roof and kind of claustrophobic but from outside it looks lower and therefore sportier. Hyudai has an issue though - it sounds cheap - if I tell my wife I want to buy Hyudai - she will laugh at me. Buick on the other hand sounds like a luxury brand. On the other hand almost all cars Hyudai makes now moved into luxury territory - if they introduced premium brand like Genesis e.g. it would easier to justify buying Sonata. So what do you think - is actual competition for Buick is Hyudai? In fact Buick does not compete very well because Hyudai makes luxury RWD cars and Buick is more conventional VW/Acura wannabe premium brand. Did anyone test drive and compare Sonata and Regal?
    IMO there is no comparison. Buick is a premium car. Hyundais are built to a price. You get what you pay for.

With Hyundai, you get more car for your dollar. This is their plan and it is going very well. Recall that Lexus undercut the competition by a whole lot when they were first marketed and now they can charge MORE than the competition and get it. Hyundai started out as a bare bones economy brand with spotty quality. Nowadays, like VW did some years ago, they are moving into better quality offerings with amenities normally only offered on luxury or near luxury models.

Recall too that GM practically ruined Buick's "luxury" reputation in recent years, and are only turning that around now in the US (in China where they make the most money on them, and their reputation is intact, GM has invested a lot more in Buick models).

Thus, in many ways right now, the Sonata and Regal are quite comparable--except for price. The Regal of course in built in Europe at much higher prices for labor and materials (and exchange rate). The 2011 Optima is even more comparable, having more tasteful styling than the Sonata, and even more luxury equipment for the money.

Watch Hyundai. The Genesis is quality and increasing sales month to month as the word gets out. The Equus compares favorably with cars costing $20K more. The 2012 Azera will be all new and about the same price range as the Regal, even while offering more power, luxury, quiet and room. You might want to wait a few months and compare.

That said, Buick is finally on a roll again. However, it is cut-throat out there, and companies like Hyundai mean business as they gobble up market share with real quality and value.
  • Hyundai is also premium brand approaching luxury segment. I would suggest to change brand name to name that better resonates with luxury. AFAIK their mainstream brand is Kia and Kia Optima is budget version of Sonata, which I do not like since it feels cheap - similar as Regal relates to the next Chevy Malibu.

So what justifies premium price for Buick? Lexus ES and Lincoln MKZ are even more expensive than Regal, but they have proven quality and reliability and have expensive V6 engines and of course better interior materials. Audi A4 even though comes with similar 2.0T, but it is true high quality and better engineered luxury car, even though I consider it to be overpriced. I would not even consider Acura, but it also has V6 and has proven reliability. Other option is Infiniti G Journey, similar price but RWD and 2.5L engine and it makes me seriously think about it. Mercedes, BMW and Cadillac are too expensive to compare with these cars.
    I have read comments elsewhere about Hyundai undertaking a below-the-radar campaign to build their image by using paid agents posting boastful claims on internet automotive message boards. It does make one wonder when I read stuff like this.