Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I think $2500 for a power seat and dead cows is WAY too much.

Get an LX and several spray cans of 3M ScotchGuard. I have twins due any day now (hence why I bought the MPV in the first place) and I have no concerns regarding stains. I'm enjoying the $2500 I saved (bought a big screen TV with $1000 of it).
  • Options
    acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    At least in my area, there were very FEW MPV LX models to choose from. The ES trim was a different story. All the lots had plenty to choose from. Given that it is very late in the 2003 model year, it might be harder to get an LX whereas a loaded ES will most certainly be available.

Well, ES trim does not just give you a power seat and dead cow hide on seats and steering wheel :-) I think traction control and 17" alloys, rear heating and a/c and front side airbags are standard in ES trim. Also, vehicle anti-theft system is NOT available in LX trim.
  • Options
    jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    my brother owns a 92 or 93 base MPV with no a/c. his engine always overheats for some reason, specially during summer time. he changed the coolant, thermostat is ok. we heard that overheating is a common problem with MPV's and i also read on www.alldata.com that certain type of coolant should not be used on MPV's.

anyone have the same overheating probs and if so, what did you do to fix it? thanks.
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My '92 started overheating at around 85K miles. By overheating I mean well above norm but not to the point of "end of gauge needle movement".
    I changed the coolant, hoses, radiator cap and thermostat and double checked operation of the fan (did that have two fans?). I never noticed any real water/coolant lose during this time, although.
    At any rate, the gauge registered the same - of course, the gauge came under suspect but the engine did seem hotter than normal.
    Someone mentioned either here or on Mars...(?) that the aluminum heads had some problems back then. But if that was the (my) case I should have seen some coolant drop. I sold the van about 10K miles later - it still ran fine.
  • Options
    yeah, same thing with my brother's MPV. temp will keep going up but it never reaches the "red" part of the gauge.

mileage on his van is only 100,000+kms.
    he's got only one big white fan. the fan is a "counter spin" type or something like that, can't remember the exact term. it's always turning when the engine is on and not electrically powered/controlled. i personally think the design of the fan system is the problem. it's not electrically powered or hooked up to the thermostat so it's not cooling down the radiator when it's supposed to. when the van is stuck in traffic, engine rpm is low so the fan turns slowly while the temp. goes up and engine overheats.

i think it's a poor design by mazda. just my two cents.
  • Options
    Wasn't there one or two electrical thermostat controlled fans in the front (nose end) of the radiator in those years? I keep getting my same year Accord (2 fans behind radiator) and MPV mixed up. (Probably was the third martini at the time...)
    Anyone?
  • Options
    no, there's only one big fan behind the radiator and it's not hooked up to anything (electrically). when the engine starts turning, the fan turns the other way. i think it's called counter-spin or something like that. when the engine rpm slows down, same thing with the fan.
    the van doesn't have a/c.
  • Options
    chet7chet7 Member Posts: 13
    Never had any overheating problems with my '89 MPV until about a year ago. Replaced the radiator and all has been normal since, temp-wise. Currently at 133,000 miles.
  • Options
    jolly2jolly2 Member Posts: 17
    My '02 MPV is in the shop for two weeks due to a collapsed PVC line. There's a nation-wide shortage of the part needed to replace it. According to the tech. Mazda has been replacing a lot of these lines which tend to collapse during hot weather. If your MPV starts idling rough at stops TAKE IT IN for repair because if it is the PVC line it's considered undrivable and may leave you stranded. This came from the tech. It is covered under warranty. I HATE my MPV and regret buying it. Too many problems in just one and half years.

Also, a response about the loaner car comment made earlier. I have a loaner car while my van is in the shop but have to pay $12.00 a day for Loss of Use insurance. (I tried to get this coverage through my insurance company but they don't offer it.) I'm in a fight with the dealer manager to have this insurance charge waived since the repair will take so long - as yet it is unresolved.

LIFE!!!
  • Options
    bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    -jolly2: I've never heard of a PVC line, did you mean PCV?

If so, isn't the PCV line simply a piece of hose?

I don't mean to make light of your troubles or frustration, just looking to offer constructive help.

If the hose to the PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation valve) has collapsed, buy yourself a piece of standard hose at your local autoparts store, and replace it.

I don't see how a collapsed hose could mean a 2 week wait, but perhaps I've misunderstood your problem.

Hope this helps,

-brianV
  • Options
    mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    jolly2 is right. There is a problem with PCV hose and my co-worker had to wait 2 weeks to get it replaced. The same happened to me but my service manager made right decision keeping a lot of these hoses in stock and I had it replaced the same day.

jolly2, I wouldn't generalize that MPV is a bad car because it is not. You are not lucky with your van and as they say if you are not lucky then even in a wooden church a brick will hit you on the head.

MB
  • Options
    bdbomberbdbomber Member Posts: 10
    I have a 03 lx and noticed rust buildup on the lower track on each of the sliding doors. The roller bearing took the paint right off. My wife took it in and the sevice manager said it was because of the door drainhole. YEAH Right! It's Metal on Metal . Poor design by Mazda. Just wondering if anybody else out their has the same problem
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Jolly, we have 15,500 on our 02 LX and it has been flawless. I'm sorry you no longer feel good about your vehicle. Better to sell it now and move on.

Mark. : )
  • Options
    to: sbvoller

Thanks for correcting me. I transposed.
  • Options
    Again, if it's really just the line (and not the valve), then a long wait for a piece of hose just isn't necessary.

Don't mean to be argumentative, just want to point out other options. A piece of PCV hose is a piece of PCV hose. This is not a high-tech part of the car. Unless it's routed near a heat source or something, it ought to be a simple fix.

Hope this helps,

-brianV
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion has been moved and now resides in the Mazda MPV Owners Club. If you have subscribed to this discussion, the move should not affect your subscriptions.

If you have any questions/concerns, please direct them to me in email.

KarenS
    Senior Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Are the 'Club' threads still pleasently pop-up/banner-ad free?

Such an oais! ;)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The only time I see a new window around Edmunds is when I appraise a car or click on TireRack or PeopleFirst or something. Are you getting popups just navigating Town Hall Java?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I guess it's more banners, which IIRC, the 'Club' areas were pleasantly devoid of. But you're right, the only Pop-Ups that I come across on Edmunds are the 'dealer locator' ones. Hardly bad at all, really, but my pop-up/banner blocker just gives them a Karate chop anyway. ;)

I had a pop-up problem, and haven't tracked down where my laptop picked it up. I suspected Edmunds, but can't say. It'd surprise me if that were the case. I got some crazy Xupiter junk. Now, that stuff just drives me nutz (not in the mpv... content), b/c you'll just get random pop-ups. But, I don't think I picked that up at Edmunds, but from some shopping my dw was doing. <rolls eyes>
  • Options
    I notice them in all the Subaru discussions - chat promos mostly.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    I really don't know if this PCV hose is any special hose or not. Quite honestly I don't care because I have three Mazda dealers around here and for me it is no big deal to drop the van for repair especially that it is under warranty. While they replaced my PCV hose they also took care of two recalls (fog lights and door sticker).

On the other hand if I had to drive to the nearest dealer 60 miles then I would probably cut off a piece of a hose from my cloth dryer and installed it as modified PCV hose :-)

mazda_guy
  • Options
    Well, yes, I'd prolly do the same in your circumstances. On the other hand, for those folks who are having a bad experience, there must be a better solution than wait around for 2 weeks due to a piece of hose...

'nuff said.

-brianV
  • Options
    Watch that Xupiter - it will reside in your registry - need to eliminate it there too.

Ok, content (transpose from other topic) - Mazda never came back with my red, eh? I guess I still have a classic.
  • Options
    That's why they called it 'Classic Red,' bob. ;)
  • Options
    jdthrsjdthrs Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Mazda MPV. We absolutely LOVE it! We've not had any trouble with it - until now. Our check engine light came on. We found out it was a problem with our transmission. It's in the process of being repaired right now. We only have 81,000+ miles on it. We drive it a lot - but never roughly. Has anyone else had any trouble with the transmission?
  • Options
    Because of the nationwide shortage of PCV lines the dealer put a temporary line of some sort on my van to make it drivable. It's running fine so far. Still waiting on the real part (which has been re-designed to hopefully not collapse.)
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you're at least back on the road again. Good luck.

-brianV
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    what is with the Cayman Islands logo? Have the salmon migrated south, or were you looking for a better blend of coffee :)

Content: '02 LX runs perfect at 13,000 miles, but it has been 100+ for 3 weeks here in Central Cal, I think I will look at the PVC hose and see what the big deal is.

John
  • Options
    The Cayman Islands flag is something from waaaaaay back in TH time machine... <w> back a few management changes ago... but I won't go there.

(content) Actually, here's some real content. The dw keeps complaining about this. Let's see if any other 2000-2001 owners can relate. You're going up a hill, slow to an intersection and then turn right, but after turning right, the road is level. The tranny kicks down 1...2 gears in the process. I always chock this to the fuzzy-logic, but anyone else experience this?
  • Options
    after 30 years monkeying with cars I would have sworn I could find any PCV hose/valve within 30 secs of opening the hood. Not so with the MPV... the obvious location goes to the brake boost and nothing else in sight remotely resembles it... I think it must be underneath. Anyone know exactly where?

John
  • Options
    Not sure of the location exactly, but I did notice that there are a number of hoses running to the air filter box, most of which look like vacuum lines (most run to electrically controlled valves), but I wonder if it's among those?

Otherwise, my next best guess would be that it's under the engine cover plate (looks nice, but gets in the way, frankly, it's hard enough to get around in a van's engine bay...). I haven't pulled that to look yet.

I don't get the heat issue, since the exhaust manifolds are on the bottom of the engine, well-removed from where you'd expect a PCV line to run...

There's also all kinds of stuff running underneath and around the battery, although that's not a likely place for a PCV line, IMHO...

-brianV (pondering the layout of his engine bay)
  • Options
    i am thinking in the box, the typical location of PCV valves are in the valve cover. No reason that it needs to be there, it could be on either end of the block or even near the pan. I hate reading instructions, but I might need to go get a Chiltons' or Haynes, unless I get really inspired with a flashlight and floor jack.

John
  • Options
    fredswfredsw Member Posts: 12
    I took my 2002 ES in for the foglight recall and had them look at the TSB for the mirror temp. fix.
    They applied the TSB fix and the mirror is right on the mark for accuracy.
    As for tires; has anyone tried a different size tire? I noticed that MPVCLUB had a listing of tires and the effect they have on the speedo, but is there any other effect a size change would have?
    I also noticed that Michelin is now making two tires in the 215/60-17 size, but the snow rating wasn't that much better than the Dunlops. I didn't think the Dunlops did very well last winter.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The PCV valve is located in the valley between the heads and under the intake manifold. The hose goes from there to the top of the intake manifold closer to the throttle body.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Anyone else had this problem? gas pedal sticks on our 01 LX. Only has 35k miles. The dealer when making the appt. wanted to do a fuel injection cleaing and throttle cleaning. The fuel injectiion was done about 10k miles ago when my wife brought it in,so this is not the problem and I believe the whole fuel inj deal is a rip off anyway. Think I will bring it in myself next time.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Dirty fuel injectors causing a gas pedal to stick?? LOL, that's a good one! Tell that service advisor he/she should do stand-up comedy.
  • Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    I've had this problem for at least a year now in my 2000 model. It's really only there when first starting out and quickly goes away. It has not gotten worse. I think someone said throttle cleaning is the fix, but I can live with it until it gets worse.
  • Options
    This is a common problem with Quests like mine. Cleaning out the throttle body fixes it. Some like to burn Chevron or use some Chevron Techron additive to try to slow the carbon build up on the throttle plate.

It's not hard to d-i-y on the Quest; maybe that stuff is accessible on your MPV?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    Yep. Definitely the throttle body. Had it cleaned ($80.00), and my 2000 MPV runs like new at 48k.
  • Options
    mariaj3mariaj3 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 mpv with approximately 20,000 miles. First i have to say that the dealer has been very good, and they have gotten me very good rental suv's and vans while the car is in the shop..but it's STILL going back to the shop.
    A few weeks ago, i noticed some rough idling. A few days later the check engine light came on. The dealer said it was the pcv tube that everyone here talks about. It was backordered for a week. the dealer put me into a rental car and somehow got the part much sooner and put me back onto the road, but the same day, i noticed the engine was still idling slightly rough. 2 days after getting the car back from the shop, the check engine light is back on.

ideas anyone? the car goes back for service first thing tomorrow, but this is getting old fast.

<BR
    this is our 3rd unreliable minivan. are there no reliable vans out there ????? just last year we lost over 8,000$ on a bum silhouette.
  • Options
    Opinions (and surveys) are pretty widely distributed:

What's the most reliable minivan on the market?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ...dealership service department. It shouldn't be difficult for them to diagnose and fix a problem like rough idle, esp when the CEL is on, meaning that there's a code stored... to point them in the very specific direction.
  • Options
    dave_h2dave_h2 Member Posts: 100
    Hello.

I recently purchased a 2003 MPV ES.

I now have 1,000 miles on the vehicle.

The auto door on the passenger side is now malfunctioning. When we attempt to close it using the auto function (either the remote or the buttons on the vehicle) it closes 3/4's of the way - then abruptly reverses direction and opens again. It does this repeatedly now.

Looking through the manual, I see that they recommend you don't try to "force" the door when it is opening or closing. I may have done this once. Is this enough to screw it up like that?

The door on the other side works fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What solutions can anyone suggest?

Thanks.
  • Options
    The Mazda Tech is blaming poor quality gas for sludge buildup causing the pedal to stick. Will do a throttle cleaning for $65, change gas and see if that does it. Does this sound reasonable. I thought most gas was the same anyway. He did not reccomend going to a higher octane, just use a name brand gas. We get our gas from various places, but usually where it is the cheapest.Any thoughts?
  • Options
    According to Mazda, need front brake pads. Cost for pads and resurface of rotors $260. How does this compare to other places like STS,American Tire, or Meineke. Anyone had experience with these chain shops? Does the brand of pads matter?
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    You can reset the door system by removing the ROOM fuse, stepping on the brake pedal, and then replacing the fuse.

-Brian
  • Options
    #3039 of 3039 "You can reset the door system by removing the ROOM fuse, stepping on the brake pedal, and then replacing the fuse."

Thanks for the tip, anyway.

I found the right fuse and did what you said. Didn't help. The right power door is still closing only 3/4's of the way, before it then reverses and stays open.

Looks like I will now take it to the dealer.
  • Options
    Does the door close freely with the power off? Could check the lower track for debris or something that would prevent it from closing.

-Brian
  • Options
    "Does the door close freely with the power off? "

Yes.

"Could check the lower track for debris or something that would prevent it from closing."

OK. Thanks Brian. I will do a thorough inspection there.
  • Options
    The reset procedure has worked for a few people that frequent another internet site that can't be mentioned here. IIRC, there's was doing the same as yours - not closing. The dealer will likely try the same procedure, but may pull the battery cable instead of the ROOM fuse. But they should be able to sort it out for you.

-Brian
This discussion has been closed.