Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• pehanlonpehanlon Member Posts: 2
    Only about 55k but they were original plugs and wires from '01. Check engine light came on and OBD II code read cylinder four misfire so I decided to go for it. $55 in Autozone parts later (plugs and wires) I'm done and will not worry about it for a few more years.

Believe me, had that check engine light now come on, I'd have let a sleeping dog lie too!
  • rms1rms1 Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 MPV minivan has 53,000 miles on it. It started missing about 4 weeks ago causing hesitation during acceleration. This made the vehicle difficult to drive and at times unsafe (making laft turns, etc.) My first visit to my dealer resulted in a "brushoff" saying the transmission was slipping and needed the fluid changed. They also recommended that the fuel injectors be cleaned. The service did make a noticable improvment in power, but the engine missing was still there.

After suffering for another two weeks, I took it to another dealer who said a coil was bad and the complete coil pack would need replaced (since they did not have a way of figuring which coil it was???). The coil pack turns out to be around $350.00 with another $300 for labor. It seems that the intake manifold needs removed to get to the rear coils/plugs.

To sum it up, for a tuneup, new coils and plugs - $750 with tax. The vehicle is only three years old. Is this going the be a regular expense? What goes with the "coil on the plugs idea"? Being an engineer, I pride myself in making good design decisions (most of time). This "coil on plug" thing is not one!

My verdict. I will pay the $750 dollars for a new coil pack and fix the vehicle if I must. I will never buy a Mazda again. Coils should last the life of the car. I have never replaced any in the past!
  • julieintnjulieintn Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2002 LX, 35K miles, w/ 15 inch Factory Dunlops. New tires needed now.
    Have enjoyed the handling but want a smoother ride. My kids feel every bump
    in the road riding in the back. I know very little about tires. Is one brand superior to another (Michelin, Firestone, etc.)? Looking for some helpful advice on this topic.
    BTW, I haven't posted in 2 years, but I enjoy this site very much.
    I have not had any major problems w/ my MPV. I purchased it when they only had the 3 yr. warranty, which just expired, so I keep my fingers crossed now!
    Only real complaint is the lack of space in middle for an infant seat. Front passenger
    is cramped due to seatback angle to accomodate baby seat. Makes long trips tiring!
    Appreciate any advice on choosing new tires.
  • mbowdersmbowders Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem and this is what I know so far. You can disconnect the battery and the key will come out. You can also remove the ROOM fuse from the panel by the driver side kick panel to get the key out.
    My MPV is at the Dealer now and they do not have a fix yet. I will post a fix if they can figure it out.
    If all else fails I am going to disconnect the solenoid in the steering column.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I have read from several people who like Michelin Hydroedge or Harmony tires. Check tirerack.com to compare...get feedback from those who have bought them.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Well, I had the dealer replace the bulb since I could not remove the lens myself. They cover it up to 50K miles for free! God help me now when I go over and need to pay them $25 to remove the lens again. The tech had to remove the INSIDE panel of the tailgate to get at the bulb!! Can you believe that?! He tried prying the lens cover off but could not and did not want to risk having the tool slip and gouge the paint!

What a great design! As the bulbs burn out in the future and if I get stopped by the cops for not having lights on my rear plate, I'll just tell them to call Mazda and have them take care of my 'fix-it ticket'!! I actually had several techs looking at it and trying to figure out a better way to replace the bulb....wow! BTW, it's the same design on the 05 Tribute and MPV! I checked them out on the show floor today. Lot's of luck.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I will almost bet money that plug wires were all you needed.

Mazda vehicles are notorious for needing plug wires every 30,000 to 40,000 miles. (Most Mazda vehicles' owner's manuals even recommend replacing them at this interval -- which isn't too bad, since they only cost about $50 a set.) It's because of the engine design, with the plugs down inside the valve cover. The heat, along with a little moisture, breaks down the last few inches of the plug wires and causes them to arc after a while. It's been the same story with all the Mazda cars I've owned since 1991 (five in all). Same symptom every time -- engine hesitation.

I think you got taken to the cleaners. :sick:

When it happens again (around 83,000 miles), replace your plug wires -- yourself. It takes about five minutes, although I've done it in less than 2.

Meade
  • etienne1etienne1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 MPV with an intermittent charging problem. Problem occurs after wet or rainy day only. So far I've had the alternator rebuilt and a new battery installed. I'm still not sure if my problem is solved. Does anybody have any idea what to next?
  • swingfieldswingfield Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used MPV with 112,000kms on it. We just love it. It never came with an owners manual (i'm going to check with the local Mazda dealer) and I don't even know what type of oil to use. Does anyone know (5-30?), how about a synthetic mix?? Anyone have any ideas for after market parts and accessories in Canada??? How about a shop manual? Chilton puts out a manual, but would like a more comprehensive manual. Any help or ideas would be great.
    Scott
  • criledocriledo Member Posts: 27
    Hi. We have a 2003 MPV LX with 33K miles on it. Basically driven by my wife on countryside roads (30 mph) and some highway(70mph). Since new we noticed mileage was not extremely good (suposed to be 20+) but now it has come down to about 15mpg. We've changed gas stations, air filters, etc., etc, nothing seems to help. All Mazda dealers say there is nothing to be done unless the check engine light comes on, which it doesn't. Anybody got a suggestion? Thanks!
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Dumb question - are you sure you are in overdrive? Check the tach.
  • criledocriledo Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for your kind reply. Of course the van is in overdrive.
  • jims2jims2 Member Posts: 6
    Our 2000 MPV has the same noise too! When it is extremely cold out, the engine idles very fast and makes a loud whirring noise from the driver's side of the engine. It lasts about a minute or so until it warms up. It has done it almost since it was new, so I don't know if I should be concerned about it or not, but I'd sure like to know what it is!

Put me down as another unhappy owner of an MPV. I like the vehicle, but our 2000 MPV has 83,000 miles and over the last five years we've had to replace the front wheel bearings, the lift cylinders for the rear hatch, the CD/radio, the alternator, a side door handle and blower motor. Most of that was covered under the extended warranty, but right after it ran out, the exhaust manifold started leaking and I had to pay over $900 to replace it! Asking Mazda for some assistance was a joke. Then the power door lock on the driver's side broke two days later. Fortunately, I was able to take it apart and repair the broken piece which probably saved me another $200.

When we bought the car I thought we were purchasing a well-made reliable vehicle. Ha! What a disappointment.You'd think a "not recommended" rating from Consumer Reports would motivate a manufacturer to improve their product and provide a better warranty. I guess they just figure there are enough new suckers to buy their products instead of keeping current customers happy.
    " put me down as an unhappy owner...". " I like the vehicle..."

You sound a bit confused. You're only out a little over $900 in five and a half years of ownership...doesn't sound to bad. With the items that have needed repaired, it sounds as if you may be driving/handling the van a little to rough.

The "not recommended" rating from Consumer Reports is on the 2005 model. The 2000 model rated well and has shown to be highly reliable. In 2002( I believe) they increased the warranty from 3 years/36,000 to 4 years/50,000 miles. The number of "new suckers" buying has fallen to such that Mazda may or may not offer it's next generation of MPV to the NA market.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • rogerrabbitrogerrabbit Member Posts: 11
    Sorry for the delay in response - Have been on vacation - went 2700 miles with 02 MPV, averaged 26.5 mpg - mostly interstates at 70 mph.

To answer you question - the Mass Air Sensor was replaced, although I suggest you try cleaning it first with carb cleaner before spending the $$ to replace. I also replaced the spark plugs. I still do not buy the K&N filter theory - there are lots of things that can make an Air sensor dirty - but that appears to be Mazda's line if for no other reason than to get out of warranty repairs.
  • jims2jims2 Member Posts: 6
    "With the items that have needed repaired, it sounds as if you may be driving/handling the van a little to rough. "

How does "rough driving" cause an alternator, rear lift cylinders, a CD player, blower motor or door handle to fail? Our MPV is in very good condition and most of the miles are from 2-3 long trips a year. And, the front wheel bearing needed replaced after the first year, so how much rough driving could we have done in such a short period?

Shouldn't a vehicle's reliability get better as bug are ironed out over the first few years rather than worse?
    The older a vehicle gets the less reliable it generally will become. New parts get worn out and break or need replacement. A vehicle in it's second year of production generally does better in initial quality than a first year model. That's because, as you noted, the manufacturer has a chance to work some of those first year bugs out. You've had a few more problems than average with your MPV...but not to bad.
  • jdoubleujdoubleu Member Posts: 2
    thanks...i actually took it in and the problem was a broken stablelizer...also they changed my pads as well as they were pretty much ready to go. I have 80000km on the vehicle. The problem is gone now (after $500CAN). Thanks for your reply
  • alejoralejor Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I have my problem with my mazda MPV model 93 . When i going over 40 MPH all is fine, but when take way with slow traffic my car increase the temperature of the engine.

Anybody know what happen with this problem??

Thank you,

ALEX
  • 74impala74impala Member Posts: 4
    I would guess you need to replace the thermostat. It's a relatively inexpensive part.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    or fan clutch or radiator with clogged fins or blocked airflow.

-Brian
  • nlsnls Member Posts: 65
    This was happening on my '95 Saturn SW1, and was particularly bad when I was stuck in traffic. A coolant flush seemed to improve things a lot.
  • itchyitchy Member Posts: 2
    Posted this in the wrong forum I think it belongs here.
    The check engine light on my 2003 MPV just turned on yesterday while driving. The mileage is around 28,500 miles. It has had no problems to this point except for the harsh shifting I read about on these forums. I plan to take it in next week, but was hoping someone could clue me in on possible reasons for it to turn on. I am going to have the software upgrade at the same time
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    do a search on tires in this discussion. you will find many. michelin hydroedge is the best for this car. yes, it will be T rated buit it is OK.
    Did you recently get gas? The gas cap not being perfectly tight can easily trip the CEL on most cars these days. You can take it to a local AutoZone to have the code read (and cleared if you want), or find a friend nearby that has a OBDII code reader. If it's not flashing, it's generally ok to drive (not flashing indicates an emission related fault). Flashing CEL indicates an engine misfire and you should not drive it (naturally).

The tranny has nothing to do with the CEL, your OD OFF light will flash if there is an issue with the tranny. There is a TSB for the tranny to get reprogrammed, it's been out since May 2004. That should smooth out the 2->3 shift

-Brian
  • robh19robh19 Member Posts: 4
    We had this problem a year ago. Dealer told us to check and make sure the gas cap was on tight. We went on vacation with the light on, the van started to lose acceleration power and eventually wouldn't run. Turns out there was a part recall late last summer on a PCV hose that rots away early and causes this problem. Had the van towed, they replaced it, everything works fine now.

We'd recommend you bring it in and have them check and replace this hose. It'll be free as it's a recall item.

Hope this helps.

-Rob
  • ltilti Member Posts: 1
    I concur with your closing sentiments...However, FYI...I am on my THIRD coil pack replacement!!! They assured me that the last time would be the last time because they had a new & reliable part. This one did last longer. I have 84K on a 99 Protege & have had too many issues. Good luck.
    The bad PCV will let you know when it's going - you'll hear an air leak type of noise at the back of the engine on the bottom. Ours didn't trip the CEL though when it went, but it idle rough.

-Brian
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    just stupid people.

Our keys on our new MPV are those switch blade types. Very cool, except I can't get any key ring to fit into it. The ones we got with our Passat were easy to hook up, but I can't seem to get the Mazda's to fit. Are there only certain types of rings that fit or is there something else that I'm missing?

(please avoid any references to "something missing" and "your brain", thank you)

Vic :blush:
  • lostyankeelostyankee Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 MPV, and have the same thing happening. I did remove the battery cable to get the key out, any word from your dealer on the cause?
  • frankmanfrankman Member Posts: 13
    I have a 04 MPV with 35000 miles on it. Recently, the engine would run not so smoothly every time we drive out. It doesn't happen all the time, but I always experience a few times of that. It feels like the fuel line having some gaps in between, as a result the engine would sometimes drag a few times then back on normal. It is almost like when somebody is singing, the person would choke or cough a few times. The other thing may or may not relate to that is when the car stands still and A/C is on, the engine sometimes would almost shut off because of too low idle. I have always been running with regular gas. But, I just filled up a tank of Shell V-Power and I am hoping that could clear out any deposit, if that is the problem. Any body have any idea about this? I hate to bring this kind of problems to dealer, when they don't happen all the time. Thanks!

Frank
  • shockershocker Member Posts: 2
  • shockershocker Member Posts: 2
    I have a Problem with My automatic Load Leveling system and I am wondering if any one out there can help me solve it? I have a 97MPV 2 wheel drive
    My compressor to my gas shocks is Kaput, and costs around a grand to buy just the part.
    I do not want to spend that kind of money, and would like to find out if I could just put regular shocks on instead of replacing parts of the ALL system. In effect bypassing the load leveler. My ride is bumpy, and I keep bottoming out.
    Is there anyone out there with similar problems,and what did you do to correct it?
  • spurohitspurohit Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar problem with my MPV 2001. Any solution?? I was thinking to take to Dealer.
  • myrovermyrover Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same stuck key problem on my 01 MPV. I have disconnected the solenoid in the steering column just to get by but still need a fix for this. Any word yet on the cure for this??? Do you know the purpose of the solenoid? I am running fine without it but I don't want to go too long like this.
  • mpvguympvguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 with about 30,000 miles; have used the more expensive store-bought fuel injector cleaner about 3 times. Engine still runs fine. Suggest you try that first. If still problem, try having a shop do the "professional" injector clean, usually around $50 or less. (I have always used regular gas.)

Glenn
  • daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    I need to remove the back door panel on the driver side. The inside door handle has me stuck. How do you remove the door handle in order to remove the door panel?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
  • lg2207lg2207 Member Posts: 28
    All-
    I recently had a flat for the second time on my '02 MPV LX; rear passenger tire; I decided to replace the two fronts and move the Dunlop SP4000's in front to rear. I did research and Tire Rack recommended:
    Continental Conti Premier Contact: 215/60, 94H (as opposed to 95H ont he dunlops).
    I went to local auto shop that has serviced vehicle before and they agreed the Continentals were a good match and better than the Dunlops. I Ordered and installed tires with high speed balancing. Drove off of lot and my steering wheel was off about 1/8th of a turn to left. Went back to them; they tried for 2 hours to get an alignment and could not- stating some crap about the rear solid axle and not being able to adjust the wheels in the back; every time they thought they had it; it would go out. They recommended going back to dealer.

Dealer Performed 4 Wheel Alignment; better but car was still drifting left. Went back to dealer for some warranty work- they tried to fix again and now the problem is back to the steering wheel being off a slight turn to the left when driving straight down road. They dont understand it and since their rear sensor on their machine broke- they have asked me to come back again and promise to get it right when the machine is back up. The tech says he wil rotate front to back and re-align to see if its a problem with the tires.

What do you think? Did I make a mistake not buying and replacing all 4 tires? The car is only 2.75 years old with 24k on it and good tread life remains on the 2 remaining tires. Could the difference in load ratings create an issue? Did the shop that install the tires make a mistake- I have never heard of or seen this problem just replacing two tires and moving front to back. Could the new tires be defective? Are we dealing with a mechanical issue in the steering or suspension as the manager of the shop who installed the tires believe. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • lg2207lg2207 Member Posts: 28
    All-
    I have been searching the internet and the posts for the following problem I have had with our MPV LX- '02 for about 18 mos now. There is a slight squeaking sound whenever you turn the steering wheel; it sounds like a rubber band or the sound a tire makes when turning on the floor of a cement garage. It has gotten progressively louder but not terrible as it is not a loud sound to begin with. The car drives fine.

During course of normal servicing by dealer (Maxon in Union NJ) over the past 18 mos- they have lubricated the steering column- but it still happens. The Tech says that this is a normal sound for the MPV's steering and that all Mazdas make that sound. On the last visit; they agreed to replace the "Clock Spring" and gave me a loaner. The sound seems better but not altogether gone; it can still be heard. Any thoughts? Is there another problem or a steering linkage problem?

Thanks
  • smith11smith11 Member Posts: 1
  • rhapsodyrhapsody Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 MPV with the hard shifting transmission. It was reflashed in Sept 04 but has continued to do the hard shift between first and second on occasion. The dealer tells me there's nothing they can do and that this is a characteristic of the MPV. I've read on the forum that some owners have their MPVs reflashed three times. Is the service dept giving me a line? Or is there nothing that can be done at this point?
    It is my opinion they are giving you a line.It is definitely NOT a characteristic of the MPV.They need to reflash or change out the TCM(under warranty). I have heard this has helped in cases such as yours. If they don't have the skills to handle this problem try another Mazda dealer if available.
  • mcspakmcspak Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 MPV ES, when I hit 100 km/h, the van starts to vibrate. I've had the wheel balanced and have new tires on it. Any feedback on similiar experiences would be appreciated.
  • sparkplug3sparkplug3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Thanks for your post. I'm looking at replacing the spark plugs on our Mazda MPV. It looks very difficult to access the rear spark plugs. How did you do it? (step by step:) Thanks for your help!!!
  • ladayladay Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2003 MPV. I have complained 5 times about the hard shifting problem. Today they reflashed the PCM and TCM for the second time and told me I should drive it gently for the next 2 weeks until the transmission relearns my driving style. I am really sick of this and am thinking of contacting somebody about the lemon law. I just turned to 40000 miles today and am worried that as soon as I am over 50000 miles the transmission is going to fail.
  • davehenrydavehenry Member Posts: 8
    Hi:

In New Jersey, I tried the Lemon law for a failed transmission at 60,000+ miles in a 2003 Mazda MPV. They said the law only applies for the first year. I believe those shifting problem really damage the transmission over time. Mazda will not help you if the transmission fails after the warranty is over. I should have bought a Toyota or Honda. At $3,500 for the repair, I could have saved that money by buying a Toyota or Honda.
  • rdworski1rdworski1 Member Posts: 20
    Still looking for an answer to this question. Please help!
  • mkxlh883mkxlh883 Member Posts: 2
    We have an 03 ES that was having the same issue. We changed out the junk Dunlops with Michelin HydroEdge tires and the problem went away. My mechanic told me that the new cars don't like to have mismatched tires. In addition to a 90,000 mile warranty, the van handles really well in the snow.
  • mkxlh883mkxlh883 Member Posts: 2
    Check for a small rock or pebble near your brake caliper? I had that problem in a Grand Cherokee one time. Made my mechanic laugh!
  • ychungychung Member Posts: 1
    you can check out if the acdelco air shock works for you at http://www.rockauto.com, and search for 97 mpv parts. hope it helps.
This discussion has been closed.